The scoop on 'Four Seasons Nursery'

Four Seasons Nursery

1706 Morrissey Dr.
Bloomington, Illinois 61704 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company is affiliated with Burgess Seed

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative shoyland
Remsen, NY
July 15, 2014
Posted on July 15, 2014, updated July 15, 2014
we ordered $100 worth of flowers, bulbs from 4seasonnurseries, part of order was two perennial bargains you receive 40 plants total. I received 4. I emailed them was told send explanation with ship label did so and 3 1/2 weeks later they sent me same 4 plants I received first time. Now last two wks they been emailing me telling me they sent me 32 plants. That's funny I only have 4. I am sick of the running around they are giving me. So much for my garden. I'm getting no where with them and will turn them into better business bureau. I should not have go thru all this.
On July 15th, 2014, shoyland added the following:

I also forgot to mention. Their first reply to me was they cannot guarantee THE PERRENIAL BARGAIN..... I told them I paid for 40 plants I want 40 plants, the next reply was we sent you 32 plants, I said no no I already told you I received only 4. Nothing back since. I just called got same run around.
Positive Dolphin2fairy
Toms River, NJ
July 7, 2014
My order arrived ahead of schedule, they were responsive to my email. EVERYTHING I ordered arrived in wonderful condition, carefully packaged & preserved. You can tell they care about their products, not to mention everything smelled wonderful. I don't know what they use but I'd love their secret lol. I ordered almost $100 worth of perennials, trees, bushes & grass. The hybrid day lily mix literally started sprouting not even 3 days after I planted it. The kwansan Japanese cherry blossom tree was an instantaneous grower. The 3 in 1 angel trumpet tree is going strong & the hibiscus are well on their way. The only thing I'm waiting for are the old fashioned day lilies, ornamental corner grass garden, bicolor butterfly bush & old fashioned bleeding heart. But please take into account the fact that I am a novice, I'm learning as I go here. I water everything with miracle grow sprinkled in. I am definitely doing business with this company again, I was pleasantly surprised. Thank you for helping me to make my landscape. & garden beautiful!
Positive Hillcrest1
Norfolk, NE
June 18, 2014
I ordered 3 pampas grass, 1 surprise package, 6 golden sundrops, the 3 tree bargain, 4 yucca and 3 hybrid poplar. The surprise package was $4.99 and they sent plants that prices on their own website added up to $48.98 (more than my total bill with shipping). I was very pleased with the surprise plants and I said to my wife, if half of the plants live, I will be happy. All of the yucca lived and are growing well, the 3 pampas plants are doing well, the hybrid poplars have literally grown any where from 4 to 10 inches in 5 weeks. The golden sundrops are ok, only 2 of 6 lived, but those 2 plants look pretty good (10 inches tall). The tree bargain turned out to be red maples, which I was excited about initially, they all ended up dead though. The surprise pack again was $4.99 and they sent 2 peony trees, a cinnamon fern and a burning bush which total $48.98 on their website. Unfortunately only 1 peony tree lived out of those 4 items, but if I bought it by itself on their website, it would have cost me $19.99 by itself. It was exciting to think about saving that much money if everything lived. Unfortunately everything did not live, but overall, it was still excellent value. I lost $5.33 total on the 4 dead sundrops, $2.79 on the dead maple trees and gained $15 with my live peony tree (cost of peony is $19.99 minus the cost of surprise package $4.99 = $15.00) so I came out $6.88 ahead over what I expected from my order, and I thought the cost for all of that stuff was incredibly cheap to begin with. To sum it up, it was disappointing to lose some plants, especially after they really got me excited when the "surprise" plants arrived, but I have to say I expected a certain loss going into the deal, and even with the deaths, the plants exceeded my expectations so far. I also got a few flower seeds and some watermelon seeds that are growing in the garden just fine. I highly recommend the hybrid poplars, they look great for $15 trees, let alone the $2 price per tree you pay from four seasons. I am writing this only 5 weeks after planting.
Negative jdhagberg
Lansing, MI
May 23, 2014
DO NOT ORDER FROM FOUR SEASONS NURSERY! We ordered plants from this company last year. When some weren't growing, we contacted the company (within the money back time period). They told us " We do ask that you plant the items and allow up to six weeks for them to begin to show growth." So much for the money back guarantee. We have received varying instructions about whether they need the shipping label. One email states: "If they do not then you may return the shipping label from the replacement order with a written request for more replacements or a credit voucher. We do keep the label on file for the duration of your guarantee." Every time we have emailed or spoken to a CSR, we get a different story. Plants are in the mail...we've sent you a voucher....we need the label...we don't need the label.

When I spoke with a supervisor, he stated that he has no access to the emails sent by reps. When I asked him to review the file and return my call, he stated that supervisors can't make outgoing calls. To date, we have $35 worth of plants and they are offering to send back $17 in replacements...after we send back the shipping label. Horrible customer service, won't give you your money back for plants that arrive dead. Save yourself the grief...buy your plants locally.
Negative HomervilleOH
Homerville, OH
May 23, 2014
I placed an order with four seasons nursery. It was about a $150 order with fruit and nut trees, pines, black berry plants, rhubarb, ect. I figured the plants to be smaller from descriptions and prices, and it was true. No complaints there. The issue was with receiving my full order. The order was initially shipped without two fruit trees, ok I get mistakes happen. The phone number does not work to four seasons nursery. I called early, late and all times in between. No one has ever picked it up. I did get responses by email. The remainder of my order was "shipped" it took 6 days to receive, one bare root tree with no packing around the roots. It was pretty dry, i soaked it and planted it. Still waiting to see if it decides to live. The second tree of the same variety did not get received yet. Just beware. You get what you pay for. I will not re-order with them.
Negative smithyjc
Waupun, WI
May 19, 2014
I ordered 160 lilies from Four Seasons Nursery along with $160 worth of other plants. When I received the order it was short 100 lilies. I contacted customer service by phone and got the "you must return your shipping label and write a letter explaining the problem" run around. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was denied. Hung up after being placed on hold forever and emailed customer service. Got the same run around. Thankfully I haven't paid my credit card yet so I have contacted Visa to dispute the charges. I won't pay for something I did not receive and should not have to jump through hoops to rectify a mistake made by their shipping dept. I will keep the charges in dispute indefinately if they don't either send me the lilies or refund my card for the 100 not received. Terrible customer service, place seems to be a ripoff, scam artist operation. If they already had my money I'd be screwed.
Positive yodecat
Dallas, TX
May 9, 2014
All of the plants we ordered from 4 Seasons arrived in good shape, and after a couple of weeks, all of them are burgeoning.

Their service was slow in comparison to other mail order suppliers, but for us that wasn't a problem.
Negative MareksGarden
Simpsonville, SC
February 12, 2014
I made one large order from this place and the order never seemed to arrive. I inquired and was told by the rep that they could not predict when the order would come but that I should be patient. To me, that is amazing: the rep can tell you nothing about the status. A small partial shipment arrived then but the rest of the order was taking weeks and weeks to arrive passing planting time. Finally I sent an email stating that if it did not arrive within the week due to some item unavailability, that they should ship what was available and cancel the rest of the order. It all magically came, but as others describe, things are not shipped well and some of my things were actually just rotten mush in a plastic bag of mold. I did not bother contacting them for a replacement as dealing with them again could not be worth the money lost.
Company representative comment on February 14, 2014:
On Feb 14, 2014 3:10 PM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information. We do hope to hear back from the customer as we would like to help resolve this problem.

Positive BobRoberts
Hastings, NE
December 3, 2013
I placed an order of about $300 on dwarf fruit trees, hedges and roses in April of this year. Everything but the roses, lavender and one dwarf citrus looked like people say... a stick.

I followed the instructions, soaked the roots, dug $20 holes for $10 trees. Now, in December with almost all the leaves fallen, my "sticks" are much bigger and finishing their first year in their final home. I can say, it was a great investment going with Four Seasons Nursery and I'm looking forward to a huge variety of fruits that I wouldn't have been able to afford going elsewhere.

Customer service was friendly, but they mixed up the dates on my two packages. I would highly recommend having your planting sites totally prepared just in case your plants come at an unexpected time.

Survivors: 5n1 Apple, 5n1 Pear, 5n1 Plum, Fruit Cocktail, 2 Peaches, 1 Cherry tree and 4 Cherry bushes, 4 Citrus (potted and indoors now), 10 Climbing Roses and all of the planted Siberian Elm.

Fatalities: 1 English Lavender, 5 Sub-Zero Kiwis and the unused Elms. All my fault. I wish I could get the Kiwis replaced, but it was not 4SN's fault.

I will place future orders with them and their sister companies confidently.
Company representative comment on December 19, 2013:
On Dec 19, 2013 10:37 AM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your kind posting on Garden Watchdog. Your experience is more typical of our normal customers as we do ship hundreds of thousands of packages to satisfied customers each year. Thank you again and happy gardening!

Negative egornik
Horse Cave, KY
August 28, 2013
Posted on August 6, 2013, updated August 28, 2013
Posted on August 6, 2013, updated August 6, 2013
Posted on August 20, 2012, updated August 6, 2013
I ordered a mix of plants back in March 2012 for an order total of $57.00. All plants (if you can even call them plants = more like cuttings) were immediately planted into pots and watered as needed. Out of 78 plants 2 survived (lavender). The remainder was dead within a week. I e-mailed customer service at least 5 times, no answer. I called numerous times. They are hard to get on the phone, most always busy, and no 800 number!. Anyhow, after i got them on the phone, she requested that I send back the packing slip. Well, who keeps a packing slip?? The other option I had was to send the CC statement that proved that I had actually paid for the order - really??? So requested papers were sent, and nothing happened for another 5 weeks. Called again today to find out that they will ship probably/maybe/possibly for fall planting. I don't think those plants will do any better than the previous ones. But one has to give them the benefit of the doubt. At this time, I would never again order as much as a lily from this company. They have been the most disappointing in CS and response.
On August 6th, 2013, egornik added the following:

On August 6th, 2013, egornik added the following:

I ordered plants in March 2012 for a total of $57.00. The plants died, were replaced and died again. They now refuse to refund the purchase price I ordered a variety of plants in March 2012. They arrived via USPS bare-root, and appeared dead. An insert stated they were "dormant", so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Most plants died, so I requested replacement in August 2012. The replacement was "shipped for fall planting", The plants went into the ground just before winter, so no way to check if they were viable or not. Those plants, again, were bare root with hardly any green on them. But again, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Well, again, the plants (all but one), did not take root and died. Since my original order was in March 2012, I figured I should give those replacements (planted just before winter) until spring to see if they would green up. Well, in May it was obvious, that this batch was non-viable, again. So I requested a refund of my order via e-mail on 5/11/13, with no answer. I again e-mailed in June, and then finally on July 5, 2013.No answer to either one of those. Yesterday I finally called, and was informed that they do not answer e-mail, that they cannot open scanned attachments, and that their fax is internal only. Therefore I should have sent my list in via USPS, but since my original order was in March 2012, any refund/replacement would have been denied anyhow. The lady was very rude. This company is a sham. They privately e-mailed me through Dave's Garden saying that they had answered every e-mail I sent them. Their CSR stated they don't even answer e-mails. Who's lying here??? I filed a complaint with the BBB yesterday, maybe that will get something rolling. One thing I absolutely despise is untruthfulness and pretentiousness. And Four Seasons is top notch in both.
On August 28th, 2013, egornik added the following:

complaint with BBB:
Consumer's Desired Resolution:
All I wanted was my original purchase price of $57.00 refunded via check. Any reputable company would have no issue rectifying this issue. This company makes it next to impossible to get replacement, much less refund of purchases that obviously are non-viable.

BBB Processing

08/05/2013 web BBB Case Received by BBB
08/06/2013 bbb BBB Case Reviewed by BBB
08/06/2013 Otto EMAIL Send Acknowledgement to Consumer
08/06/2013 Otto MAIL Notify Business of Dispute
08/22/2013 OttO BBB Needs Call (Non-Acr Bus)
08/23/2013 JK BBB RECEIVE BUSINESS RESPONSE : We are sorry To hear of the problem you have with The plans you purchase from us some time ago. We have checked our records and find that we received your order March 7, 2012 and it shipped to you March 14, 2012. Our warranty States that to order receive replacements, the original shipping label must be returned along with the complaint Within one year of receipt. Even though we had no obligation to do so because you had not returned the Original shipping label, a replacement was sent for you On August 21, 2012 as a one-time exception. Since we have already sent one replacement Order, and since your warranty has expired, We are sorry, but there is nothing further we can do.
Very truly yours,
FOUR SEASONS NURSERY
Laurel Adams Cusomer Service
08/23/2013 spe EMAIL Forward Business response to Consumer
08/26/2013 WEB BBB BBB REVIEWS CONSUMER REBUTTAL TO BUSINESS RESPONSE : (The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
Four Seasons Nursery is sending material that is worse than sub-par. It's refund policy makes it neigh impossible to get plants replaced. I am sure I am not the only one who did not keep the shipping label of the original shipment. The instructions are printed on the label - granted - but in so small a print that no-one pays any attention to it. They did replace the plants on my first complaint, but on-one is served by receiving just as bad a lot of plants as the first time around. I would not recommend to buy from this business. Their CS is as sub-par as their products, and while they may be in the right according to their policy, it does not make for good business practice to collect money for non-viable plant materials and then refusing to replace/refund later.
08/27/2013 bbb MAIL send consumer rebuttal to business-close AJR
08/27/2013 Otto EMAIL Inform Consumer - Case ADMINISTRATIVELY CLOSED
08/27/2013 Otto BBB Case ADMINISTRATIVELY CLOSED

Company representative comment on August 21, 2012:
On Aug 21, 2012 10:35 AM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

We are happy to hear that the customer has decided to take advantage of the replacement guarantee. A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information.

Negative coobear61
Alta Vista, KS
August 24, 2013
i ordered from this company in may out of 30 lilies 6 are alive other flowers I ordered are blooming and their not the ones I ordered look like daisies and they were gross when they arrived but thought they do this for a living they should know what their shipping well half dead plants are not good for business tried calling many times and e-mail but you guessed it never heard back wish I would have read their feedback before I ordered 40.00 giving to rip offs yeah keep your shipping label why no refunds just more nasty plants will not do business with this place again and be careful because they have 4 or 5 mail order nurseries online all with the same street and town just not the same building number.
Company representative comment on September 6, 2013:
On Sep 6, 2013 9:51 AM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customerís experience as we do take pride in our customer care. We do have both a refund and a replacement guarantee which is clearly posted on our website and we stand behind them. We are affiliated with other companies but we are a separate company.

Negative rtp
Raleigh, NC
June 10, 2013
It seems I'm adding another 'me, too!' into the mix.
I'd ordered previously from one of their aliases, Direct Gardening (they have many aliases, likely due to a lot of unhappy customers).

The first DG order was what many have stated - 'a bag of sticks.' $100+ in misc items, butterfly bushes, roses..not a thing grew from the first order, and I let it go.

In March, ordered from 'Four Seasons,' knowing they were likely the same company. Again, the order was around $100, including a dozen Canadian Hemlocks (which interestingly they state as fast growers, while everyone else states otherwise) to try to fill in the road line..with intentions of buying another 20+. A cherry tree, some hydrangea, some ground cover, and a bundled 'garden package.'

Followed the instructions to pre-soak roots, dug larger than needed holes for the Hemlocks, mixed in peat moss, good topsoil + existing, and on of their starter pills. Not a single one grew, but I gave it another couple of months to make sure. Same on the cherry tree and ground cover.

No problem, they've got a 'guarantee.' Yeah, sort of. As a former business owner, it's 100% ridiculous, to keep a plastic bag/shipping label as 'proof of purchase' while they are very easily able to pull up your order details. Pure scam, so they can claim to have a 'guarantee' while ensuring very few people can actually exercise that guarantee.

I had intended to order some 36+ trees for the road line, with them replacing the 12 DOA Hemlocks + buying 24 more. A call to 'customer service' assured I am unlikely to do business with them again, and will next be reporting them to the BBB and investigating if their guarantee requirements on proof of purchase are even legal in my state.

They have a nice catalog to look through (except for the crappy 'artist renditions' of some items, but don't expect much from them. Shipping wasn't quick, they mis-represented a slow grower as a fast one, and simply don't stand behind their product in a fashion than is reasonable and sane.

Save that plastic bag and shipping label if you order from them, but be aware as they take the orders online, they need no more 'proof' beyond what they already have in their own systems - it's purely an intentional jumping through hoops to ensure fewer replacements go out the door.

Company representative comment on August 3, 2013:
On Aug 3, 2013 11:31 AM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

A customer care representative has contact this customer for further information. We do have a 1 year replacement guarantee on all of our plants which is clearly stated on our website, catalog, even the label itself. We stand behind this guarantee and do hope that the customer takes advantage of the exception we have offered.

Negative jeanedsko
Annandale, MN
May 28, 2013
THIS IS THE WORST ON LINE GARDENING EXPERINCE I HAVE EVER HAD. Last winter I ordered some plantings from Four Seasons Nursery and a Walking Stick Willow. I was intrigued with this willow and anxious to plant.it. It arrived spring of 2012 looking dead and musty but I planted it according to instructions. 45 days later no life.
The roots were dead. Called the company and they said they would send out a replacement. The replacement came looking no better. Dead buds and roots. I panted this and waited and waited. No growth so removed it and it was dead. I called the company and told a lady in customer service of my dilemma. She was courteous and stated that they had a lot of complaints with this willow. She stated that I could get another replacement or wait until the spring of 2013 for new stock. I chose to wait and asked her what I should do in the spring when I called. She stated that all my information was on record and nothing was needed and just call to have them send out a new replacement.
I called this spring and a person, I believe "Wayne" answered and stated he need all the data from the shipping bag. I explained that a lady told me this was not necessary. He checked his records and agreed my purchase was on file, but with the bag info he could and would do nothing. I asked for a supervisor and receive the same negative answer.
Just today by shear luck I came across the much necessary shipping bag. I called customer service and again talked to the same person. He now stated, your warranty has expired, it is past April 2013. No exceptions.
I explained what the other staff person told me and again he said, it is past warranty. I was told if I wasn't satisfied to write a Mrs. Grace Avery and include the bag with my letter. He would not comment on what Mrs. Avery would do.
I am concerned I will write and send the bag and that will be the end. I am out $40.00 but the bigger issue is the rudeness I received and no concern of my getting two dead plants. Comments like, " didn't you read our written policy, it doesn't matter what one of our staff stated. Any suggestions, totally frustrated. Jean
Positive HorticulturGirl
Penn Yan, NY
May 23, 2013
I'm a second time buyer from Four Seasons Nursery. My first order was a disaster. The very first disaster, in fact, ordering from a mail order company in my 15-year ordering history. I figured it was a rare fluke experience and accepted it. (The problem was the NOVEMBER receipt of a JULY order, and getting plants I did not order as well as not receiving all of the plants I DID order which monetarily shorted me by over $10).
I sent another order this April (2013) and a few days later came across "Dave's Garden" site where I read report after report of outrageous conduct by this company. I was very fearful that I'd made a huge mistake and would surely lose my $50+.
To my relief my order arrived within weeks, containing exactly what I ordered. Everything looked - well - like bareroot stock WOULD look - brittle sticks and dried out roots. I always follow the care directions when the plants arrive and rarely have loss. If it helps, I'll share the following with you: I immediately fill a bucket with rainwater and soak bareroot plants for 24 hours. (I add a product called "SuperThrive" to that water. Magical stuff - sells at WalMart). Then I dig a hole fill it to the top with water, let that soak in, then set in the bareroot plant. I cover it with a mix of regular soil mixed heavily with compost. I finish by flooding the freshly planted plant one more time and adding about a cup of solution containing a product called "Boost 'Em"- critical for root development - (sells at directgardening,com). Every plant I purchased this time has broken dormancy and is growing beautifully, with the exception of 6 bridal wreath. These do have plenty of swelling buds along their 'twigs' though.
Please know, I'm not a paid advocate for the two products I mentioned. I just learned how valuable they are by using them through the horticulture trade. (I have a B.S Degree in Horitculture and owned a hort business for about 20 years.) If you buy them just be VERY careful to use EXACTLY the recommended dose. More is NOT better with these potent products, but when used right, you can expect nearly 100% success.
After they're planted in - by the way - if the weather is above 70 degrees (F) and dry for more than 5 days I water everything with about 3 quarts of water each. I repeat every 5 days if it's still above 70 and dry.
I hope this company continues to make an effort to operate competently and every customer can have the fine experience I just had. It would be such a pleasure to have a reliable source of affordable plants.
I know from my first experience with this company how frustrating it is and how defeated a customer feels when a company has screwed up an order and their customer service is unsympathetic towards corrective measures.
Negative highpoint
Harvard, IL
May 22, 2013
Flee like a scalded cat from Four Seasons Nurseries.
They completely messed up my $ 200+ order, sent unlabeled material, sent bare-root plants with no protection whatsoever, just loose in the bag, and surprise, surprise failed to ship the two most expensive items in my order. I made repeated attempts to get them to replace the missing items, and each time I sent them what they asked for, they asked for something different. Like everyone else posting here, I wish I would have seen the horrific, well -deserved, reviews this company routinely gets. Oh well, burned once, but I will not be burned again. I will instead spend my time sending out photo's of the dead plant material I received from Four Season Nurseries to the many gardening blogs I participate on, and warning all my gardening clients to stay far, far away from such a disreputable firm.
Negative Twinki
Jerome, IL
May 16, 2013
I guess it took me three times to learn a lesson. Shame on me! Two years ago I bought 3 blue spruce. They promptly died. I contacted them and returned the paperwork and they replaced them in the heat of summer. Those trees promptly died as well. I called again and they said they would issue me a "credit certificate." I re-ordered other plants early in March, 2013. Thirty days after they charged my account, and following two telephone calls, I finally received my order in the USPS mail today, May 16. The delphiniums are 1-2" tall with roots in tiny plastic baggies, about the size of one little annual you'd buy in a 6-pack. The 6 hollyhocks are brown bareroot fragments ranging from 3-6" in length. A couple have weak green buds on top. The two roses are bare root, stems trimmed to 8" and look terrible. How I wish I had found this site before I ordered!! I will never, ever buy a thing from this wretched nursery again. Twinki in Springfield, Illinois
Negative janann
Stockport, IA
May 11, 2013
I have never in all my years in ordering plants thru the mail. Have never received such sick or dead plants.
Til I order them thru this company.
I have gotten them with mold on them.
Won't order from them again.
And good luck if they get your name wrong.
I have had my plants go the wrong address twice.
Have called and sent letters to the company about the problem.
Still don't have my name right.
And trying to get replacement plants.
Like pulling teeth.
Neutral froglady3
Taos, MO
May 7, 2013
I have ordered several times from this company. It is the place you order to get cheap stuff, but don't set your hearts on it for your primary plant company. If you want a prizewinning apple tree, order from Jung, Fedco Trees, or One Green World. But if you already have your main plants established and want to experiment with new varieties without a huge financial investment, go to Four Seasons.

Four Seasons offers smaller plants than the three companies above, and I haven't decided whether this is because they sell them at an earlier age, or whether this company is a "plant outlet" for undersized plants or plants that have been refrigerated too long in other companies' holding units. Not sure, and it doesn't really matter.

I have had an overall positive experience with this company. Provided you save your shipping labels for replacements, they have always been very accommodating and have replaced any dead plants. About 1/5 of my plants, on average, have died or not grown. I prefer not to wait an entire year to "see if they are alive". I can tell when a tree is alive, even when it's dormant. Whenever I'm a tad uncertain, which is rare, my trick is this: make a tiny nick on the bark with your thumbnail, near the base of the trunk. If the tree is alive, there should be greenwood underneath, and the texture underneath should be soft and pliable. You just have to be careful to only make a tiny (2mm) nick, so as not to damage the tree.

Four Seasons is able to send cheap plants because they cut costs. They will not package each plant individually or wrap them in peat moss or damp newspaper, like other companies. They do not ship in boxes. They stick all your plants in a big plastic mailing bag with about a cup of water in the bottom to keep the roots hydrated. The only bad experience I have had with this method of packaging (with sister company Burgess, not with Four Seasons) is when I ordered potatoe cuttings, which got included in the same bag. The water got all over the potatoes and they molded. Although I have not ordered potatoes from Four Seasons, my advice is: order potatoes and roots on a separate order from trees. Doing this, I have never had issue with moldy products.

Regarding the previous comment about shipping during frost season: I agree with the customer rep. It is standard gardening wisdom to "heel in" dormant trees if the ground is too cold to plant. It is also common practice to hold plants inside the house if it is too cold outside. Four Seasons cannot control or psychicly intuit what type of house you live in. I recently bought tomato plants at a local Wal-Mart, and we had snow the following week. I kept them indoors, of course!

A couple times I have had a plant not bear fruit. My cherry bush and my banana tree never did bear fruit, even though they grew vigorously. Since the plants grew branches and foliage just fine, I assume this was some cultivation error on my part.

Overall I am happy with my plants from this company. You can get bigger plants from another company, with better packaging, if you're willing to pay double or quadruple the price. So I do not advise using this company as your resource for that one cherry tree that you have room for in your tiny yard. It is, however, a good resource for supplemental plants that you aren't totally invested in.
Neutral curlyjoe1967
Marshfield, WI
May 2, 2013
SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!! This is not a typical occurrence. Did the customer service rep. just happen to not notice the other 248 negative reviews? Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of negative reviews from all their affiliated companies. Wow, they must think we are all really stupid. Also, what good does it do to point out their one year guarantee if they send the same crap the second time as they did the first.
Negative sarassa
Diamond, OH
May 2, 2013
Posted on April 20, 2013, updated May 2, 2013
I've ordered twice from this company mostly because their prices were the lowest. A lot of my bulbs, trees, and plants had mold on them. Bulbs were soft and rotten. Almost all of my last order did not grow. I wasted a summer waiting for some sign of life or growth which never happened. I learned the hard way and saved my original label for replacement plants. I sent the label in to them with a letter back in January and I've heard nothing from them, nor have I received any plants. The few plants that I have that did grow have remained poor growers. Many of them I ended up just throwing away and others I'm still waiting and hoping that they will grow properly.
On May 2nd, 2013, sarassa added the following:

I received my replacement plants. There wasn't any mold this time, but the plants didn't look alive. The trees are supposed to be dormant, so I don't expect leaves, but most of them broke at the top during shipping in the plastic bag. The living, but bare root plants look like they are too wilted to ever come back, but I'm trying and hoping for the best. It will take time to see if there is any life left. The bulbs were better than last time, but still soft. If I had picked bulbs at a store, I would have passed on these.
Company representative comment on April 30, 2013:
On Apr 30, 2013 1:39 PM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customers experience as it is not typical. We do have a replacement and refund guarantee and we do stand behind them.

We have contacted this customer via Dmail to see if we may be of further assistance.

Negative angel13
Hermitage, PA
April 16, 2013
My experience was awful! I orders several bare root plants along with regular plants, they shipped them before the danger of frost in our area! So far I have lost 2 butterfly bushes and who knows what else. I did email them explaining the danger of frost for our area was in may. I even sent them a map with the frost zone. Their response? Store them in a garage or basement. Hard to do when I do not have either one! Next they said that cover them with potting soil and peat moss and they will do fine. The day they arrived we were still having flurries and several nights after we still had frost. Their response, the plants will be just fine. My plants are withered and very sad looking. The bulbs that were sent? Was told to plant them in planters and put them in a sunny windowsill. I live in a mobile home, no window sills here. So I had to go out and purchase extra peat moss, potting soil and pots to
store the plants" until I can work the ground to plant them. Yesterday I did plant some butterfly bushes and that is when I noticed that 2 were completely black from stem to root. I am very disappointed in this place, will never order from them again and will tell anyone and everyone that will listen to stay away from them. I felt the customer service representative that handled this query was rude and not sympathetic to a first time ordering customer. Not only did I buy these plants in hoping for a pretty garden to share with others but now added expenses to keep the plants alive, something they should have done at their nursery.
Company representative comment on April 30, 2013:
On Apr 30, 2013 1:45 PM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customers experience. Cold weather, as well as a late frost or snow, will not harm items that were shipped dormant and bare root. As long as the ground is not frozen, they can be planted.

Potted items should be kept in a sunny window and treated like a house plant until there is no longer a chance for frost

We do hope this customer takes advantage of the replacement guarantee. A customer care representative has contacted this customer to see if we may be of assistance.

Negative DLMullins
Clendenin, WV
April 8, 2013
I ordered several plants from Four Seasons Nursery ($135), and when the package arrived there were 12 missing plants, one type had an N out from it and another type had an S. I assumed the plants would arrive later. I waited 2 weeks and tried calling them only to be told by a very rude employee, Ruthy, that I would have to mail them my packing slip, wait for them to research and then someone would get back to me. The direction when I placed the order and even once I received part of my order was that.....I had to retain my packing slip for a refund or replacement if any of the plants I received did not live (1 year guarantee). I explained to Ruthy that I could not send my packing slip, and she basically told me that there was nothing she could do. I will never order from this company again. I just want the plants they owe me, or a refund. They are difficult to deal with and the plants I did receive were not what I expected, waiting to see if they even live.
Company representative comment on April 11, 2013:
On Apr 11, 2013 2:41 PM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

Positive bklynhts
New York, NY
April 3, 2013
Received items in 2 1/2 weeks from date of order in bare root condition - most plants handled their journey from Illinois to Brooklyn, NY quite well. I soaked the roots for 4 hours and planted them right away. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these plants survive.
In any case, I saved the packing list so that I can get a replacement within 1 year should any of them perish. I will now be doing research on how to plant bulbs (4 varieties) they sent me as gift.
Negative bkeller186
Jeannette, PA
March 1, 2013
Last year I ordered a few things from 4 seasons. Like a few of the previous comenters I ended up with a few dried up sticks in a bag delivered to my house. The 2 sugar sweet cherry trees I ordered ended up like sticks in the dirt. the grape collection withered into nothing, althoug the grape plants I got off the discount rack at Walmart a month later and planted then along the same arbor seem to be doing well. The lavender never had a chance.
Although the dwarf cherry bushes seem to be doing ok although we will see come spring how well they are doing. The Tree Bargain (6 trees for $5)I purchased thinking I would get somewhat a variety of trees ane ended up recieving 6 red maples, the cheapest tree they sell of which I already have 7 or 8 maples in my yard already, never did anything anyway. Well so much for hoping to get a variety of trees.
I had the foresight to keep my packing slip and am sending it back for a replacement, hopefully I will recieve items that will live this time. although I am not holding my breath.
Will update when I get my new sticks. although I think I will shop the dicsount racks to get a better bargain than order from any online seller again.
Company representative comment on March 5, 2013:
On Mar 5, 2013 4:17 PM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

A customer care representative has contact this customer for further information. We do have a 1 year replacement guarantee on all of our plants and do hope that the customer takes advantage of this guarantee.

Negative pirateradio
Waynesboro, PA
January 22, 2013
I made the mistake of ordering from Four Seasons Nursery a few years ago. I ordered two hardy almonds and two English walnuts. All 4 sticks arrived dried out & dead in a plastic bag. Nothing was wrapped around the roots. I planted them anyway & followed the directions, just to see if any would survive and waited a few months. Of course, they didn't and I requested replacement trees. I also asked for them to please wrap the roots in wet paper towels or newspaper or most anything.

Replacement bag arrived with 4 dried-out sticks and nothing around the roots. I planted them again & followed the directions. After regularly watering them, one actually sprouted leaves after a few months and today it's about 5' tall. But it's a PEACH.

$30+ order of nut trees and I got 7 dead sticks and a nearly dead peach.

Funny thing is that every since, I've been getting catalogs from Plantron under different names. I was getting Four Seasons, but I guess they realized that I was dissatisfied. Last year, it was Burgess. This year, it's Farmer Seed & Nursery. They almost fooled me with the Faribault, MN, address, but ever since my experience with them, I search out reviews on nurseries before buying anything. That led me here and I'm more than happy to share my experiences with Four Seasons/Plantron/Burgess/et al. to any potential customer.

This is by far the worst experience I've had with any nursery--and I've bought from at least four different catalog nurseries and about half a dozen different on eBay.
Negative RDP_GA
December 6, 2012
Ordered a pair of giant hardy banana plants during the spring of this year. They are supposed to be good for zones 6-11. They were planted in the middle of zone 8. The plants arrived a little over a month after they were ordered. They came in a very small bag around 10" long with what was left of the leaves folded over in the mailbox. They came back and grew after planting. 7 months later, the leaves withered and died after the temperature dropped a couple degrees below freezing in GA. These plants should be able to withstand a hell of alot colder temperatures than that. They obviously shipped the wrong plants. I contacted them today about this and explained this with more detail. They did not deny anything I had said. They just asked for the packing slip as required for the 1 year guarantee. I told them that I could not find the packing slip from that very small package as it had been over 7 months. I asked them if they had a record of my purchase and they said they don't keep any records of their customer's orders. Any reputable company would keep records of their customers purchases for future repeat orders. That way, they would not "need" a packing slip to refund or replace the orders. It is painfully obvious that they expect their one time customers to lose that packing slip over time so they do not have to honor their "warranty".
I would not wish them on my worst enemy. Ok, yes I would.
Company representative comment on January 15, 2013:
On Jan 15, 2013 12:45 PM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information. It is not uncomon for the hardy banana plants to die back during the winter months. The root however does survive and new growth begins in the spring. We do hope to hear back from the customer as we would like to help resolve this problem.

Negative dabra47
Appomattox, VA
July 24, 2012
I ordered $97.00 worth of items, 20 redbuds of which they actually sent 24. I see why now, out of 24 sent, 8 lived. One item was not in stock so it will be shipped in the fall, however it's advertized today for sale online. I ordered 3 flame grass, all looked dead, but planted and nothing. I've had numerous emails with them trying to get replacements, It's been over a month and they keep telling me the replacements take 1-2 weeks. They want the second shipping labels now for the 8 Forsythia I didn't recieve origionally, but they emailed me saying it was a replacement so all I can get is a credit The flame grass was replaced when the Forsythia was sent, only one lived so far, again 6 weeks and this time they will give a credit.
They promised several free gifts for orders over $40.00, mentioned that several times to them, haven't gotten any yet. Bottom line, over Half of what I ordered was dead, died, or wasn't sent and like every one else all I get is the run around when I contact them. This was my first time ordering and it will be my last time ordering from them. I do think they have a beautiful catalog and it's a great selling point until you see the products sent, no wonder they sell so cheap. I would not recommend this business to anyone and have told all my friends I had origionally told about this company NOT to buy from them.
I have never ever received plants that came bare-rooted before, that was a concern, but some actually did grow, mainly the redbuds. The other stuff, some wasn't even an inch long and had no sign of root growth, and of course it was a waste of time to dig the holes, put in the potting soil, fertilizer, and water, like trying to grow a rock. I agree with the person that said if they took the money they put into that pretty magazine and put it towards the product, they would maybe be a thriving business, that is if they add some courteous staff to go along with better products!
Company representative comment on July 25, 2012:
On Jul 25, 2012 12:49 PM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

Negative bk4freedm
allentown, PA
USA Minor Outlying Islands
July 23, 2012
I have to say that I have dealt with many online companies, and usually am pleased with their customer service. I was not happy with the way Four Seasons Nursery of Bloominton, IL handled my request, however. As a customer since 2009, I am familiar with their policy of keeping the original shipping label if requesting replacements of plants. When our order arrived in June we could see right away that the bellflowers were dry and the mediterranean pinks were also. However we planted them immediately and watered, to no avail. We followed protocol, including the original label with our request for replacement plants. Our letter was returned, along with a letter informing us that 6 weeks was supposed to be passed before we could make the request. We faithfully made the request again, in writing, AFTER the 6 wks. (although nowhere on their label is this specified). Once again we received mail - no plants - informing us that their records didn't show that we ordered an Angel Trumpet, and asking if we received the Meditteranean Pinks. This was puzzling in 2 ways -1. the trumpet was on a previous order and not the one in question, and 2. Yes, we obviously received the pinks - they were the 2nd part of the 2 part order that we wanted replaced! Although reaching frustration level already, I valiantly tried a phone call today, but got another run-around. I would have to RESUBMIT, for a 3rd time, this paperwork, which by now will require a manilla envelope and triple postage - in order for the request for replacements to be honored. When I asked to speak with Office Manager Grace Avery for clarification, I was informed that she did not handle phone calls. I give up! Four Seasons just doesn't need my business. My advice - they shouldn't get yours, either.
Company representative comment on July 25, 2012:
On Jul 25, 2012 12:45 PM, Four Seasons Nursery responded with:

Negative dalandpups
Milford, CT
June 25, 2012
This was my first time ordering from Four Seasons Nursery. The catalog is beautiful. My order arrived weeks later, disheveled in a bag of dirt mixed with broken leaves, plants, stems, etc. The individual bags with plant names stapled on them were empty.
I am on SSD and spent $100. That is a lot to me. I was told by Four Seasons that I could fax my letter, along with a copy of the order and packing list, and I had to reiterate everything that needed to be replaced (which was the whole order). I am so disappointed. I wish I read this website comments first.
Approx. 2 weeks after the request for replacement, I received a letter asking me to plant the mess. It was garbage the order. I will not randomly plant items I cannot identify anywhere in my yard.
I immediately hand wrote on that form letter (must be because they have a lot of poor plants and poorly shipped orders) and faxed it back to them requesting replacement immediately.
I just telephoned them today 6/25/12 asking about status. She had none. The supv. said she could not call me back, that she wasn't allowed to make outgoing calls. Baloney!! I told her if I don't receive my order in a week, I will dispute the charge on my credit card (which I am doing immediately and will reverse it if I receive a proper order).
I am going to tell the friends I gave the catalog to, to NOT order from them.
Four Seasons spends so much money on a beautiful catalog, they need to redirect their money into proper planting, sending healthy plants to customers, properly shipping healthy plants, standing behind their products without asking customers to jump through hoops, and their customer service.
DO NOT ORDER FROM FOUR SEASONS NURSERY IN BLOOMINGTON, ILLINOIS!! I will never order from a catalog again until I check the feedback on the company. Lesson learned.
Debbie Ann
Positive lolmewz
Abingdon, VA (Zone 7a)
May 26, 2012
Posted on January 15, 2012, updated May 26, 2012
This was my order I placed to them in fall. It did take a lil over 2 months for them to ship, but I have gotten used to how horribly slow all of these online plant companies are. All of these plants shipped bare-root. They all looked half-dead as they always do. This company comes with a 1 year warranty on all plants if your keep your packaging slip as your receipt. I am expecting many plants not to make it through the winter just because of how late they shipped. As long as they honor their one year warranty I would not be worried about it. So I thought I would let you guys know how the plants are doing as of now, and give you an update later on this summer. ^,^

This was what I ordered:
6 purple leaf plum hedges - still look dormant
2 pecan trees - still looks dormant
10 old-fashioned lilacs - THESE DID AMAZING!!!! They started sprouting tiny leafs about 2 weeks after I put them in the ground. It's snowing here but they all appear to be fairing extremely well.
2 hydrangeas - still looks dormant
5 rose of Sharon - still looks dormant
3 barberry - I am 100% these will die, my cats LOVE this bush and chew on them every chance they get. I swear they like this 100xs more than their catnip plants.
2 thorniness blackberry - still dormant
3 wisteria - they're starting to grow leaves on them, I planted them in on of my 2 litter greenhouse things hehe, and then placed them on my windowsill
10 native day lilies - still dormant
90 Grecian wildflowers - still dormant
8 purple day lilies - still dormant
3 blue geraniums - perked up about 2 weeks after i planted them as long as the snow doesn't kill them I think these will do extremely well.
80 blue poppy anemones. - still dormant

I only spend $122 on all of this and like I said, if they honor their 1 year warranty I will definitely be a return customer for them.
On May 26th, 2012, lolmewz changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Most of the lilacs that started off well after I planted them then they died after a bad frost, and so did most of my order. However all of the plants that died were replaced for free, I returned my shipping label along with the dead plants because I felt bad demanding the replacement of almost my entire order but they replaced everything and they did not charge shipping on the replacements either. The new plants seem to be doing well, they were all dormant and bare-root like always but some are starting to make leaves so with no frost to kill them they should do well. I have had them in planters for about two weeks now. I do have to say that when people order bare-root plants to be careful to not let them dry out, I know it is hard to tell because they do not have any leaves so I suggest watering them every other day.
Negative qu1nn
Tonawanda, NY
May 18, 2012
ordered an almond, a 5-1 pear, and some cherry bushes.
came in a double bag, roots were almost dried out there was nothing keeping the roots damp (I think a saw a couple pieces of shredded paper). The package was not protected from bending and the almond main was broken at the top 6"... they should bind to a bamboo stick or something...

well, living in WNY and at their cheap prices I didn't expect much.

I planted the items, but doubt they will make it.
I will stick will miller nurseries in the future.

qu1nn
Negative shaferly
ALVADA, OH
May 16, 2012
Ok, so I have NEVER in my life left a negative remark just because I try to see the best in everyone and give them the benefit of the doubt. I ordered our $125 worth of tree's and flowers. It took a month to receive which I understand that they are supposed to send them when it is time to plant. I get that is what they say, but I don't buy that they have a clue. (they arrived before the end of the frost, so nope one strike) When received them I did EVERYTHING it said to do right away. I planted all 24 of our trees and said a prayer to make them grow since that was the ONLY thing that was going to make these sticks grow. My husband laughed at me as attempted day after day to make just one thing anything from this company grow. NOPE not a one. They arrived all slimy and smelling like something pooped on them. The "trees" were more like sticks taken off a tree just days prior. They were horrible. Biggest waste of $125 I've every spend. Wish I would have read the reviews before buying. I contacted them and asked what I should do. They send me a note that I need to return the shipping label that they came in. Now why on this green earth would I have saved the shipping label to return a product.?? No sense. It is only done this way to sticking you with the product. I would like to know of one person that keeps the shipping label. Would NEVER buy from this company again. You get what you pay for. Actually I didn't get anything. Huh! Horrible company. Looks grand in the flyer but that's the ONLY place it will ever look good.
Positive trainbrain0204
New Miami, OH
May 11, 2012
I have ordered from this company a couple of times. They do take a long time to ship but once that is understood, no big deal. I have not dealt with customer service as I have not needed to do so. All I know is three years down the line, my cheap hostas are growing beautifully as are my blackberry bushes, strawberries, etc. I have no complaints about this company. After all, you do get what you pay for. But in my case, I have beautiful plants that cost a fraction of what a nursery would have cost.
Negative martyjane
Lewisburg, PA
May 8, 2012
I just received an order that was just a little slow. I ordered 6 dozen creeping phlox that came in packs of 6. Two of the packs were moldy and slimy. I planted them anyway and hope they survive, though I am not optimistic. I don't plan to contact the company because I don't feel it's worth the trouble, but given the condition of the plants and the fact that I could not choose the color I wanted, I would not be inclined to order from them again.

I also ordered rhubarb. The root I received is smaller than my very little pinkie finger. I could have purchased a better, bigger one for about the same price at Lowe's.

I received 3 packs of free seeds, one of them being huckleberries, which don't grow well where I live. 4 Seasons should be aware of where the shipment is going and sends things that have a good chance of survival.
Positive monkeyfish
Honeoye Falls, NY
April 30, 2012
I've gotten these catalogs for years and thrown them out, but this year my garden task list included some "wilder" areas and these tiny CHEAP trees and other plants were just the thing. These plants were sticks - small ones at that - but very healthy looking. Just the touch of green that lets you know they're no longer fully dormant... And decent root systems, too.
They DID take a long time to arrive, but I mixed up their estimated time frame with one of the reviews I read, so I was pleasantly surprised when it only took about a month. I do wish that there were some sort of shipping notification, though, to let you know the package is on its way so that it doesn't sit outside for several days when it happens to arrive while you're out of town.
In short... These guys aren't the place to go for top-quality established plants, but there are times that small and cheap is exactly what you want and after this experience I'm very comfortable using these guys for those purchases.
Negative udohbong
Wagener, SC
April 24, 2012
THIS COMPANY IS THE WORST ONE I EVER DEALT WITH. I CHOSE THEM BECAUSE I WANTED SOME NATIVE DAYLILIES AND THEY INDICATED THAT THEY SOLD THEM. TO DATE I HAVE NOT GOTTEN MY DAYLILIES. EVERYTHING I PURCHASED FROM THEM WAS BAD. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE AND THEY LIE ABOUT NOT RECEIVING CORRESPONDENCE THAT THEY ASK YOU TO SEND BACK. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THEM AGAIN AND MY ADVICE TO ANYONE ELSE IS NOT TO DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY IF YOU WANT QUALITY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES.
Negative williamashley
Charleston, WV
April 19, 2012
Processing and shipping very slow. No explanation on web site about allowing 2 to 4 weeks for delivery. No explanation in an email that was sent to me verifying order, that to allow 2 to 4 weeks for delivery. Filed a complaint with Southern IL BBB for not giving explanation of shipping policy. 4 seasons has 3 days to get my order in 'their' 2 to 4 week ' time period. Will see. But still want to complain for not giving fair warning about lengthy shipping policy. Truly ridiculous in these days of computers and such to take this long.
Negative jonesee1971
Holiday Valley, OH
April 3, 2012
NEVER NEVER NEVER order from this company or any of it's affiliates! They will send dead plants and refuse to honor their guarantee. Huge ripoff, horrible customer service. they have my wife in the computer yet they refuse to do anything about the dead plants they mailed. all were dry ,all with mold, and several plants that were not ordered..we will be joining the class action lawsuit that is being discussed at this time, PLEASE READ THE REVIEWS FROM OTHER PEOPLE THAT ARE GOING THROUGH THE SAME PROBLEM'S WITH THIS NURSERY. SO FAR PEOPLE, 25 INDIVIDUALS ARE CURRENTLY IN DISCUSSION WITH THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, WHICH WILL ALSO LEAD TO THE INTERNET FRAUD DIVISION,
Negative lstevens517
Spring Hill, TN
February 5, 2012
Have placed 2 orders, roses arrived black and dormat looking, only 2 survived. Sent for replacement and they will arrive this Spring?????
Ordered
6 Bonfire Euphorbia- they didn't grow
6 Burning Bush- only 2 are living
2 Arkansas Amsonia They were so small when they arrived they didn't ever grow
2 Mosquito Shoo Geranm- 1 was dead upon arrival
Both orders took over 5 weeks to arrive, I will never order from this company again.

I guess I will attempt to get replacement but won't hold my breath. I will go back to using Spring Hill as they stand behind their products and I have never had any problems with them.
Negative darenka
Willard, MO
July 28, 2011
I have placed 2 orders through this website. Both Companies sponsered by Davis. I do not have the name of the first Co., but the raspberry plants that I received were dried out and took over 5 weeks from the order date to arrive. They arrived after the 25th of April 2010, and 75% of them never made it through the summer. Later that summer I ordered 3 Wisteria plants that were 1 year stock. 2 of the plants grew, but did not bloom in the spring of 2011, and i ASSUMED that they were just too young. 3 weeks ago they bloomed, and they were orange Trumpet vine. You can imagine my distress, I called, then sent a letter requesting a refund. Now I have spent just over a year taking care of plants that were not what I had ordered, and that I could have gotten from any wild fence row if I had wanted Trumpet vine. Today I received a response to my letter giving me a credit of $4.99 toward a future purchase. With their track record I never would recomend any purchase through Davis again. They do not support your purchases, and do not do thorough research on the companies they represent. Lots of money, time, energy wasted.