The scoop on 'Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery'

Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery

R.R. #1
Wainfleet, Ontario L0S 1V0 (Canada)

Phone: 905-899-3508
Fax: 905-899-3508

Company Comment, posted on January 16, 2003:
Our business was established over 35 years ago. We have 22 varieties of cold hardy edible nut trees. Over the past 25 years we have specialized in edible nut pines, with 14 varieties. We developed a special inoculant (mycorrihazel fungi) for each different variety which is essential to their survival as well as giving a healthier tree. We also propagate minor fruits (Paw paw, persimmon, beach plum, and chinese dogwood. We specialize in rare and unusual trees and shrubs. We believe we have the most cold hardy varieties available. We are in a Zone 4 with temperatures reaching -35 degrees F.

Comments:

Negative salltt
Springville, IA
August 12, 2014
Hi all,
Recieved poor stock and very small, tops were dead on arrival but I tried to grow them anyway. Part of the order survived.
When trying to get a refund or replacement was told I had to pay, and that it was my fault. I have been growing plants since 1972 and have done everthing from orchids, vandas, dendrobium, bonsi, black pine, bald cypress, chinese elm, fruit and veggies many others. Then I tried to get a refund and was told no, the offer to buy them again was a good offer.
This guy does not honor his commitment in the least and I am sure he will reply with some lie... Oh well lesson learned, do not trust this fly by night outfit.
Company representative comment on August 16, 2014:
On Aug 16, 2014 10:56 AM, Rhora\'s Nut Farm & Nursery responded with:

Very interesting!. By his final comment, it is obvious he has no idea what he is talking about. Our business spans over 50 years and have sold literally thousands of trees each year. We ship trees all over North America, ranging from Alaska to Texas and even California and Florida, as well as all across Canada.
Anyway, to get back to his comment about the trees arriving dead.
This is impossible because the trees are freshly dug in the spring while still dormant, and then healed in until final shipment. As we are located in Canada, we are required to have the trees inspected by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency before they will issue a Phytosanitary certificate that the trees are in good health as well as no diseases or pests. The trees must be shipped within 1 day of the issue of the certificate. We ship by Canada Post Expedite and there is a tracking number issued to be able to trace the package. Upon checking their website using the tracking number, the trees were delivered to this customer in 6 days! Now we do not have any control of what the customer did with the trees after their safe arrival. I might mention that the trees are packaged so that they may be in the mail for up to 4 weeks without any harm to the trees. We put damp shredded newspaper around the complete root system and placed in a waterproof bag, then secured so their is no leakage. (might mention that the ink from the newspaper acts as a natural prevention from any fungus or other diseases forming on the roots in transit. Also the tops of the trees are surrounded by dry shredded newspaper to keep them fresh and from any damage during shipping). Our guarantee, which is included in "Terms and condition" on our website states that our guarantee is that the trees are alive and healthy upon leaving our premises. We do offer to help if their is a problem in delay in arriving at the destination and also take into consideration any complaint that we receive based on the problem. We did offer to replace these at a reduced price, based on the fact as outlined above that it was impossible for the trees to be in the condition he described upon their arrival with him.

Positive GordBaird
Victoria
May 14, 2014
I ordered two batches of plants, from Rhora's and one from another good nursery in Ontario. I ordered paw paws, nut pines, yellow horn, russian almond, butternut and buartnut. I found the response for a family run business pretty good. I had paw paws coming from the other nursery - both orders arrived on the same day. The root structure was impeccable, even after being in the hands of canada post for 6 days. I would deal with them again - the only issue I have had, minor, is to order 2 bags of innoculant, and have not heard back - but being from a family run nursery in spring understand they are very busy and such a small order is almost insignificant. Their plants are showing great growth I would recommend them.
Positive Elean
Kirkland Lake
July 10, 2013
I ordered some bare root pines from Rhora's Nut Farm and Nursery. I was delighted with the trees that were sent to me. I was equally impressed at Mr. Rhora's knowledge and the love and care that he has for his trees and his willingness to answer all my questions whether by phone or email.

I will definitely buy again!!!

The service I received was excellent!!!

Eleanor N (Kirkland Lake)
Negative maryyett
St Thomas
June 24, 2012
I received very poor quality stock (for example, 1 pecan "tree" was 5 inches tall and had a stem that measured 3 mm, not cm, in diameter) and even worse service from this company. They at one point promised to replace the stock that had arrived dead, but then made excuses, yelled at me on the phone, delayed the process for a year, did not send all the trees they claimed they had sent, and finally simply stoped answering my emails or phone messages. BUYER BEWARE!
Company representative comment on June 25, 2012:
On Jun 25, 2012 7:28 PM, Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery responded with:

It is unfortunate that Ms. Yett has posted incorrect information about her order of trees. This order of trees goes back to 2010 at which time she had ordered some trees which she wanted to grow on some property in central Ontario. The trees were carefully packaged and shipped to her on a certain day (1 day delivery with no extra costs for shipping) because she does not live at the property where they were planted. (remember this is in the 2nd week of April).
We notified her by telephone with the tracking number to make sure she received the trees. She had ordered several varieties on a trial basis to try at her more northern location with the understanding that these were not recommended by our firm, due to hardiness concerns on some varieties. She did make contact with me about some of the trees ( Korean pine, Japanese Heartnut, Elderberry, Paw paw, Northern Pecan). Total of 36 trees ordered. After a discussion I agreed to replace the following trees consisting of 7 Korean pine, 1 Japanese Heartnut, 1 Elderberry, 4 Paw paw at ( No charge) & 4 Northern pecan at a reduced price because she had not proven to me that proper care was taken in planting the trees.
As normal, we do request a small fee to cover the shipping costs. Since it was the middle of June, 2010, we agreed to ship the trees in the Spring of 2011. In 2011, we contacted her about prepaying for the shipping charges, which she quite willingly agreed to. We do not ship trees until all charges are prepaid.
She contacted us about sending the payment for the trees, but as of June 23, 2011 we had not received payment for the order. Naturally I contacted her and we agreed to have the trees shipped in the Spring 2012 because it was too late to ship bare rooted trees.
On April 18, 2012 the trees were shipped by Canada Post, with 1 day delivery. All trees are kept fresh and properly packaged to keep the roots moist by wrapping the roots with damp shredded newspaper which are placed in a waterproof plastic bag. A content sheet is taped inside the box before sealing and double checked for quantity and quality.
This information is provided for some background on this order.
I would also comment, that of the hundreds of orders sent in 2010, this order was the only one with a complaint.
Now to address the Northern Pecan issue. The trees were all bare rooted trees, 3 years old with a good root system. All are quality checked before shipping. They normally list for $12.00 each, but we gave her a discount, fixing the price at $7.00 each for the reason mentioned above.
As the spring shipping season was very unusual for this year (we had snow up until the 2nd week of April) , we answered all e-mails that needed immediate attention, others were answered as time allowed. We are a small operation and give special attention to all our customers and treat them in a proper manner. I find it strange, that she did not contact us earlier, if she thought she had a problem . ( I notice that her comments were posted on June 24, 2012).

Yours truly,

Charles Rhora,
Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery.

Negative norpro
Edmonton
May 2, 2008
I placed an online order with this firm for over $500, and although it was late in the season ( they suggest several months in advance), I asked what stock was available at this time. I received no reply. And no reply to further e-mails. Unfortunately, in Canada we gardeners all too often encounter businesses which are not in the business of doing business. They have interesting stock and a very interesting concept, but if they can't communicate, or refuse to- what is the purpose of it all? Mr. Rhora seems to have a big chip on his shoulder according to the last posting, so that along with my experience, indicates you'd be well advised to shop elsewhere.

On May 12th, 2008, norpro added the following:

The order I placed and the e-mails I sent were directed through this firm's web site. If for technical, or other reasons,my mail was undelivered my server would have informed me of such. I note that you are still excepting orders rather than accepting orders. And what is with the hardiness zone map? You have confused the colours - perhaps this is why you ignore orders from our region?
Company representative comment on May 3, 2008:

On May 3, 2008 2:28 PM, Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery added:

Very interesting!
Seems my mysterious writter is so sure of himself. Unfortunately there is no truth to his statment about placing an online order or any other e-mails regarding trees that he has given in his statement. Our policy is to respond to request within a day of receiving any contacts on the internet. Obviously this person is contriving to distort the truth, because we are still excepting orders and shipping trees for at least 2 more weeks weather providing. I will leave the readers to draw their own conclusions on the balance of his statements which again are not true.

Neutral urbanhick
Beverly Hills, CA
March 28, 2008
I have only placed one order with this company, for a selection of bare-root nut trees. In particular, stone pines, king nut hickories, and northern pecans. Their selection is extensive, and their prices are good. The trees were well packaged for shipping, and the order arrived on time. My issue is this: compared to comparable bare root stock from other sources, the trees I received were the worst I've seen. They put the 'bare' in bare-root: hardly any feeder roots, broken tap roots, and all in all, sad looking specimens. To be fair, they did survive, with a lot of tending, but lag far behind similar species obtained from other sources at the same time. I doubt I'd buy from Rhora's again.
On June 1st, 2008, urbanhick added the following:

Apologies to Mr. Rhora; he is correct I ought to have approached them first regarding the root of the problem, if you'll pardon the pun. The context of my comment was this: a season after my order with Rhora's, I received another order from a different supplier of similar species bare-root trees. It was then, by way of comparison, that I became fully aware of the sad and rather barren root stock I had recieved from Rhora's the previous year.A year later is unreasonably late to lodge a complaint to the vendor, in my opinion; I wouldn't expect a refund or other restitution from Rhora's at this point myself. So, I reasoned that at the least, my experience might be instructive to other purchasers: it is most certainly the case that the stock i received was, across species, in very rough shape root-wise. And its equally true that Rhora's selection, their overall fine reputation, their packing, shipping and communication is all good. Other commentators on this site will attest to that. Rhora's provides a service more valuable then people might think: propagating and disseminating valuable species of long term food trees is a noble work, in my opinion, and the good few who take it on ought to be supported. I'd simply hope that in general, they are shipping bare-root stock of a much higher quality than I received.
Company representative comment on January 17, 2010:
to Urbanhick:

I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your concerns over the conditions of the root system on the trees we supplied to you.
I am puzzled why you did not attempt to contact us directly as outlined on this site, to voice your concerns instead of listing them on my page.
Our policy is to listen to any concerns from our customers and deal directly with them. We are dedicated retailers and take great pride in our product and as stated in our terms and conditions, we correct any deficiency that are brought to our attention from customers promptly.
Another one of our concerns is why you waited so long to post your complaint.(March 28, 2008). We only ship in the Spring time (1st week of April until Mid May). So obviously the trees were shipped in the Spring.
We would appreciate you contacting us either by e-mail, writing, or calling us collect so that we can discuss your concerns.

Charles Rhora,
Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery.
e-mail: rhoras@nuttrees.com
Telephone: 905-899-3508

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors: This note was originally posted as a customer comment on March 28, 2008. It was not brought to our attention until today that it was in actuality a response to this feedback. When we were made aware of the issue, we immediately transferred the reply to this comment.
Positive Tex_Avery
January 26, 2003
I was very impressed when I dealt with this nursery. After reviewing their website and a few others (notable grimonuts.com, and nuttrees.net), Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery provided all the information that I needed to make an informed decision on who to go with. Initially I wanted to try to grow different types of edible nut trees, but wasn't sure what I wanted at the same time. After numerous correspondence with Charles Rhora, he provided all the answers that I requested from him. Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for my order to come through. I'm really anxious to see how much of a yield I can get from his trees. Living in a more northern climate, it seems more challenging to grow various trees. You need to be very selective in what you obtain.

I will post an update once his shipment has arrived.

Tex Avery