The scoop on 'Caladium Bulb Company'

Caladium Bulb Company

1231 East Magnolia Street
Lakeland, Florida 33801 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-974-2558

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Comments:

Positive cofieck6
Wichita, KS
February 24, 2014
I love ordering from this company. They have the best pricing, exceptional customer service, and the bulbs and live plants are always in excellent condition. I order the #2 caladiums and the bulbs are a good size and the plants grow beautifully. If I have a problem they fix it with no questions asked and will mail a replacement at their own expense and I live in Kansas. I tell my friends to order from this company because I know without a doubt they will be pleased. This company is very accomodating.
Positive ricebeagle
Sunbury, OH
June 5, 2012
Posted on April 30, 2012, updated June 5, 2012
I ordered two bare root elephant ears. They arrived on schedule (I requested about a month after I ordered), and the plants look great. They were packaged in air bags, labeled, and the plants were large and healthy. I planted them right away in pots. I also ordered some bulbs, haven't planted yet, but are nice and firm and in perfect condition. I will definitely order from this company again.
On June 5th, 2012, ricebeagle added the following:

Silly me - I actually ordered 4 elephant ears, two of them came about a month later. Again, they were in great condition and well packaged. All of them are planted in pots on my deck, and all are growing well and adding new leaves. I sure hope I can overwinter them without killing them.
Positive reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
March 27, 2012
Posted on March 27, 2012, updated March 27, 2012
I received my order today and was quite pleased, except for two small issues, which I hope this email will correct. The first issue was that, out of (5) Alocasia (Exotic Elephant Ears) that I purchased, only 2 were in pots. The other 3 were live, growing and delivered bare root in a plastic bag. I had planned to keep them in their pots for 2 weeks while I finished the area they were to be planted. I had to immediately find pots and purchase additional soil to accommodate them.
Secondly, none of the plants had tags indicating what they were. They were all delivered in plastic bags, even the potted plants, and their name was written on the outside of the bags. When unpacking them, the bag generally goes in the trash and you have nothing left to tell you what plants you have unless you know by looking at them or you have your own tags and spend time and resources RE-labeling each plant before the trash is taken out. If these two things were corrected, I would definitely order from them again. The plants were nice and healthy, the price was Ok, and everything else was just fine.
On March 27th, 2012, reeve1 added the following:

LOL... email. You know what I mean :-)
Positive greenthumbcook
Anniston, AL
July 26, 2011
Very good selection to begin with. Arrival is always timely and in good condition. Our plants have been growing healthy for years as our hobby expands.
Positive aksims
Auburndale, FL
May 17, 2010
I am new to gardening and found a great deal of information and expertise with this seller! She (the owner) was patient and generous with her time and insight. I started with a few amaryllis bulbs (which were stunning) and now have taken the plung in to caladiums... beautiful to say the least. Shipping was fast and product exceeded expectations!!!! Can't wait until next season... I will definately shop here again for my own landscaping and gifts for others.
Positive johns796
Monroe, LA
May 15, 2010
I ordered 50 Caladium 'Miss Muffet' #1 bulbs and 3 Colocasia 'Elena' plants. I needed them in a hurry and they upgraded my shipping to 2nd day air for free so I could plant them before going on vaction. The bulbs and plants that arrived were in incredibly good condition. The Miss Muffet bulbs were huge (about like golf balls) and were firm and not shrivled at all. The Elena plants were shipped in bags inflated with air and were in perfect condition. I ordered many more bulbs at the exact same time from CaladiumDepot.com because they had more varieties that I wanted-- they were nowhere near the same quality (many were completely dry-rotted, although admittedly I ordered smaller bulbs from them by the 1/4 bushel.
Positive janetc2
Amarillo, TX
May 9, 2008
I have ordered from this company for several years and have always received the best bulbs and the utmost in customer service. I plant about 1000 caladiums each year and the bulbs I get from them do fantastic even in dry West Texas. I highly recommend them.

Janet in Amarillo, TX
Positive cheryldawn
Lakeland, FL
August 9, 2007
I ordered several varieties and was very pleased with them. I live in the same town as Caladium Bulb company ( which is a small multi purpose building( truck rental /bulb warehouse etc) so I was able to pick them up.
Here in Florida they bloom from April until end of October. I love the way they have almost no pests and stay colorful
and pretty for so long.
Caladiums bulbs are tropical bulbs and dislike ground temps under 55. They love heat and humidity in the air. 80 F and up. But don't necessarily like straight sun beating on them. Mine do best in semi- shade here in Florida.
I was suprised at how many people on my internet garden group who thought they could stay in the ground in their cold climates and were dissapointed when they died. Even here in Florida I throw an old towel over my pots when temps go below 55 at night.
In a cold climate you would most likely need to bring the pots inside for winter. Since they go dormant for winter. You can stack the pots until spring time to save room.
Positive n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN (Zone 7a)
March 15, 2007
I didn't order bulbs, but ordered 2 plants. Was extremely happy with the plants, the packaging and the delivery time. I had marked the date I wanted shipped and they came in promptly. It was a great experience and will definetely buy from them again. My plants were outstanding !!!
Positive jpolk34
Hattiesburg, MS (Zone 8a)
March 14, 2007
Ordered 50 of the #1 size 'Red Flash' caladium bulbs from this site. They arrived yesterday and believe me when I say these bulbs are huge, nothing like the puny one's I got at Lowe's. They also include detailed planting instructions as well as, when to plant. I also got the new strain Alocasia lauterbaachiana which arrived in great shape and is doing well. I will never caladium bulbs from Lowe's or HD again! The Caladium Bulb Company does not disappoint.
Positive imaflowergirl80
Plant City, FL
January 8, 2007
I would like to post a positive for Caladium Bulb Company because I have been ordering my caladiums and elephant ears from them for 5 years and the only problem I have ever encountered was a few coming up the wrong color one year. They immediately sent me replacements and were very gracious about the mistake. Their bulbs are always true to size and arrive when I request. Their plants are always packaged well also and arrive ready to plant. I would never have any worries about doing business with this company.
Negative raiderred0
Lubbock, TX
May 12, 2006
Very disapointed. I ordered Jumbo bulbs and got #2's. Many people would not know the difference. I use to own a Garden Center and I know the difference. Called and they were put out by me wanting to return them and still have not got the credit.

Beware.
Positive chiele
Chickasha, OK (Zone 7a)
April 12, 2006
I ordered some caladium bulbs and two elephant ear plants from this company. I ordered the #2 size bulbs and was pleased with the size they were and the plants were packaged wonderfully. I have recieved dead plants from other nurseries, but these were alive and healthy. I found the company to be excellent.
Positive Amunhotep
East Central, MS (Zone 8a)
January 26, 2006
This is a high quality, low key company & 100% reputable. I have no qualms about ordering from them.
Positive fangNJ
New Providence, NJ (Zone 6a)
April 8, 2005
I ordered three hardy banana (musa basjoo) from them on 04/01/05. And today 04/08, I already recived the package. All of them are looking great. They are about 2 feet tall, healthy. And the package is great. They are all in the air bag so the leaves won't be damage. Can't wait to plant them in the ground. Wish they carry more hardy plants.

Fang
Positive chunx
San Diego, CA
February 27, 2005
I usually buy my caladium bulbs from Lowe's or Target, but this year the pickings were very slim. I found out that the hurricanes in Florida virtually wiped out the crops. I started doing online seaches and then remembered Garden Watchdog. I was pleasantly surprised to find quite a few sites listed with caladiums. When checking them out, again, the pickings were slim. I took a chance and ordered the surprise package from Caladium Bulb Company and some individual caladiums I wanted plus some Elephant Ears. I was very surprised at the size of the bulbs I received. They were very large, well packaged, and the growing instructions were precise. The price was very, very good for this amount of bulbs. I also received the package within one week of my order. What surprised me the most was that they even tossed in a few extras. The surprise package was for 100 bulbs but when I counted them, there were 114 plus some tiny ones that I didn't count. I was very pleased with the purchase and their service. I would buy from them again and most likely will.
On August 4th, 2005, chunx added the following:

Here it is early August and it seems that every bulb emerged and they are pretty striking. I bought the surprise mix of 100 bulbs, so I have them in the ground and in pots. I delayed planting the elephant ears for a few months (forgot about them), so it was my fault that only 2 out of 4 are growing. One is huge! I highly recommend this company for their quality and selection of caladiums, fast shipping, and information they provide with each order.
Positive jimmy231
February 28, 2004
Great company, My order arrived as promised carefully packaged and in great shape. My shipping questions were answered promptly and in a very friendly manner. I look forward to doing business with them again. Thanks!!!
Positive Damian32693
Roslyn, NY
January 28, 2004
Very low key catalog and website (though I am glad to see they just added online ordering!) but they do ship great elephant ears. I have shopped three or four times with them and have always been so impressed with the quality they ship!

Highly recommended!
Positive Imhotep
Meridian, MS
March 26, 2003
Ordered from them last year. Got what I ordered in a timely fashion. Catalog is small and unimpressive. Wish they would
offer more varities, as I know there are more out there,
cause I researched it.

My plants grew, looked great. I ordered only their smallest
size and was exceedingly pleased. They died in pots with
the extreme Mississippi winter this year, except the
elephant ear (not their fault). Might plant them even
deeper this time, who knows.

Their "catalog" if u can call it that is unimpressive but
what they offer is top rate.

Their "catalog" rates a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale, but their