The scoop on 'Lazy S'S Farm & Nursery'

Lazy S'S Farm & Nursery

Lazy S'S Farm & Nursery has 2211 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Lazy S'S Farm & Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

2360 Spotswood Trail
Barboursville, Virginia 22923 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive matthewhg
Charlotte Hall, MD
September 18, 2014
I am an experienced shade gardener from Southern Maryland and this is my first time ordering from Lazy S'S Farm. I was looking for a specific hellebore variety, and they had it, and in the quantity I wanted. My plants arrived quickly and were expertly packaged! My plants were well rooted and very stout. Usually hellebores that have this degree of maturity will have some blooms in the coming season. I made my second order, that will ship out this Monday. Email and package tracking info were excellent. I would recommend placing your order from a desk top PC, as I used my tablet and my order confirmation went to my "junk mail".
Positive sallysgarden
Barryville, NY
September 18, 2014
First time ordering from them, and I really like the whole vibe of their (obviously family run) company. Very personal communications, extremely responsive to questions, and great selection of unusual plants. Their website is fantastic. My two plants were expertly packaged and very high quality. I will continue to order from them in the future.
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
September 5, 2014
Posted on July 9, 2012, updated September 5, 2014
I ordered a shrub and a tree and was very worried about them being shipped in such hot weather. They assured me that it was their responsibility, since they replace damaged plants.
Also USPS keeps them moving and does not let them sit, The plants arrived in good condition and I followed directions, it\'s been almost five days and not one stem has turned black. I love the packing, so simple yet effective. No peanuts or staples or miles of tape. Oh, the prices are great too, sure the tree was small, just like the price. I like it that way.
I would definitively order from LazyS again and recommend them to my friends.
On September 5th, 2014, virginiarose added the following:

I received another great order from Lazy S's. Great selection, permanent shopping cart and wish list. I am always putting stuff in and taking stuff out, but the stuff is always there, they do not delete your shopping cart. I have great success finding things that are hard to find. I got three great plants today and they were very healthy and packed perfect. Great customer service and instructions, shipping confirmation and fast service. Thank you!
Positive Ratdeschamps
Manchester, MA
August 13, 2014
Chose to order from Lazy S'S Farm & Nursery as their website is clear, detailed and gives easy to follow steps. Price includes shipping cost. Very well organized and professional handling of my order. Plants arrived quickly, extremely well packaged and labelled and look very healthy.
Can't wait to see them grow in my garden!
Positive gingerbee
Back Mountain, PA
August 8, 2014
My second order for the season arrived yesterday, plants are perfect! Beautiful, healthy and a great size. Lazy S'S alsi has a great selection and superb customer service.
Positive sugarlump
Louisville, KY
July 10, 2014
This is really a top notch mail order nursery.
I have ordered from them before so when I receive plants from them I expect to be happy and with my latest order there were no surprises. I got healthy plants packaged carefully- I order lots of plants mail order and Lazy S takes particular care in getting your plants to you in great condition.
Not a drop of soil in the box, each pot is watered, topped with spagnum, pot wrapped in plastic, rubber banded, cut off bamboo sticks inserted to assure the box doesn't crush the plant in shipping, and the whole works settled into another pot to hold the plastic wrap securely. I think I might spill more dirt in my car when I buy plants locally. Great nursery, great plants shipped securely and quickly. Shipping isn't the cheapest in the world but shipping isn't cheap and here you get what you pay for.
Positive memphisflyer
Memphis, TN
July 6, 2014
I ordered plants from this company last year. They arrived healthy, strong, and well packaged. They all survived and grew well. When one plant failed to bloom true to type this year I contacted them and received an immediate response, and an offer to replace the plant or refund for the purchase. Excellent customer service.
Positive sandyatthepond
Fulton, NY
June 28, 2014
I found Lazy S'S online while trying to locate a specific honeysuckle.
Past experiences in mail ordering plants have usually been disappointing, but the site seemed very professional and so I thought I would take a chance. I am very glad I decided to do so.
I was sent an email giving me information as to when the plant would arrive. It arrived just as expected. The plant was packed very well, and it was easy to extract it from the box. There was not one leaf or twig broken. It was in perfect condition. And it is a very strong looking
large plant. I was really pleasantly surprised. The staff definitely knows how to grow and transport plants. This is a great establishment and I hope to purchase other plants from them in the future.
Positive GAinPA
Pocono Lake, PA
June 27, 2014
I'm very happy to add my "Positive" to this amazing company!
Superb packing method and health of plant! WOW! Responded to my email that was sent to them as merely a "thank you, arrived safe and sound" and was very kindly given instructions to keep plant happy/healthy until able to
plant. I will certainly buy again from them in the future.
Positive Lovehum
(Zone 7b)
June 19, 2014
Oh wow the plants are super healthy and a nice full container of soil with them. No unnecessary packaging weight. Decent shipping prices. Great communication. Arrived quickly. Their name should be Industrious Farm and Nursery because there's nothing lazy about them at all from my experience. :)

The Major Wheeler lonicera semperviren honeysuckles are a great price deal and I really like the lobelia cardenalis although it appears they sent the wrong species--the darker Queen Victoria. That doesn't bother me though. I will definitely use Lazy S again.
Positive ncredbird
Greeneville, TN (Zone 6b)
June 14, 2014
We have very limited selection locally so when I want something unusual I go to the internet. I searched for some Daphne and Mock Orange to plant near my patio and sliding glass door so we could enjoy the fragrance indoors and out. I found them here and placed my order.
Shortly after ordering but before my plants could be shipped we had a family medical emergency and had to leave town for a week. I notified the company of our emergency trip and requested that they delay shipping for a week and they graciously accommodated our request. After returning we received our plants in superb condition. I honestly have never previously had plants arrive in such great condition and attention to detail was obvious. There wasn't a wilted leaf or bent stem anywhere. I couldn't be happier with the purchase and will definitely order from them again. Plants are happily tucked in there new beds and we look forward to enjoying them for many years to come.
Positive missjenniferd1
Knoxville, TN
June 14, 2014
They have a very wide selection, and the prices are ok. I still think the plants could be bigger for the price paid, or that the price paid could be lower for the size received.
As for quality of plants, I made 2 orders with lazy s's, and 2 orders with forest farm. The root systems, size of plants, and health of plants were much better from forest farm.
If pricing were not a factor, I would have ordered all the plants from forest farm. However, on quite a few plants, lazy's was cheaper by a few dollars each, and on a large order that adds up. If I had a suggestion for lazy's it would be to grow the plants to a slightly larger size before sending, and they would be on par with forest farms. Sometimes a few of the lazy s's plants had hardly any root at all, (and were not marked that they were lightly rooted) I repotted the plants into gallon pots, so when I tipped them out of the pots, I could see the roots, and honestly, forest farms has twice the roots. And it didnt matter what plants it was on, because I ordered all different types of plants, some trees, some shrubs, some vines, etc, and forest farm had outstanding roots and foliage/stems, but most of the plants from lazy's were inferior to forest farm in comparison. there were about 3 out of 15 from lazy's that exceeded my expectations though, so it is a slight gamble. You might recieve more than you expected, but you might recieve less too, but even when you recieve less, it isn't terrible. I give forest farm an A, and I give lazy's a B for the most part, B+ on some, and an A on some.
Positive carron2msncom
Alexandria, VA
June 12, 2014
I ordered some crossvine (bignonia capreolata) from Lazy S'S, which I found doing an internet search because crossvine was not available at local nurseries. Ordering process was easy. When the plants were shipped, Lazy S'S sent me an email with shipping information and instructions on how to handle the plants when they arrived. Packaging was phenomenal. Plants arrived in perfect condition. Email communication was excellent. Lazy S'S will be my first choice for ordering plants.
Positive mizou55
St Louis, MO
June 11, 2014
I bought a Chinese Fringe tree in good health, and Debbie responded quickly to my questions. I will buy again from there.

Patrick
Positive gardengirlinmd
Hagerstown, MD
June 7, 2014
I have ordered from Lazy SS Nursery a number of times in the past ten years. Their selection is fantastic. This week I visited Longwood Gardens in PA and saw about ten unusual plants I just had to have. When I got home I sat down at the computer to search for the plants and thought it would take some time. To my surprise I found every single plant at Lazy SS. A couple were out of stock, not surprising in June, but at least I can get them next year. I have ordered from them in the summer in the past and the plants always arrive in great shape. I can't wait to get my order.
Positive rdtjr05
Franklin, TN
June 6, 2014
Very happy with buying experience. Plants were well-sized and fairly priced for the quality. Looking forward to buying some more plants off my extensive wish list.

PS - Highly recommend signing up and putting together a wish list. Makes remembering what you want and ordering a snap.
Positive Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA (Zone 6b)
Posted on April 29, 2014, updated June 6, 2014
Superb company to deal with! Their packaging was excellent and the quality of plants was superb. Email communication was also top notch. I'm sad that they are selling the nursery but I hope they find the right buyer who will continue their excellence. Remarkable selection of plants as well. I would definitely buy from again!!
On June 6th, 2014, Sequoiadendron4 added the following:

I placed another order recently with Lazy. I was preparing myself that the plants might be really stressed since it is a lot warmer than when I ordered a few months ago. Much to my surprise, the plants were superbly cared for. They were very well watered, so much so that I didn't even have to give them water after I opened the box. I was really impressed and the plants looked great. Thanks!!!
Positive robeezee3
Englishtown, NJ
June 6, 2014
I ordered a number of geraniums, one clematis and 2 Asarums (ginger) from this nursery.

They communicated properly, acknowledged my order, told me when to expect delivery and their plants were healthy.

The advice provided regarding acclimating the plants to their new locations after being in a box for 2 days was very explicit and right on the money. I am very pleased with their service.

It is now early June, and so the provision of good plants at a time when the Spring planting season is rapidly coming to an end in NJ is especially welcome.
Bob
Positive maga2004
Lockport, NY
June 5, 2014
The plants I received were extremely healthy, and the packaging was protective and effective - the best I've seen. Lazy SS offers a huge selection of plants - I was thrilled to be able to order a new variety that I had recently seen in Garden Gate Magazine. Keep up the great work!
Positive wnewbert
East Longmeadow, MA
June 1, 2014
A great experience. Not only were the plants of excellent quality, they were packed expertly. My order arrived as promised and the plants looked great. The staff there is a pleasure to work with.
Positive DenisBronxite
Jamaica, NY
May 31, 2014
This supplier is a wonder! My elderberry plants arrived in perfect health and vigor. The packing was impressively intelligent, thorough, and careful. I've been gardening for over fifty years now and I can give you my assurance that this nursery is a really great operation!
Positive ballshrinker
Monroe, NC
May 30, 2014
Good to deal with. Trees arrived about five in a above soil line. Nice folks. Great plants. I hope they make it this late in year.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
Posted on May 21, 2012, updated May 30, 2014
Posted on October 30, 2011, updated May 21, 2012
I placed four orders this year for the following plants:Asclepias tuberosa 'Hello Yellow', Callirhoe involucrate, Cyrtanthus elatus ,Eucomis pallidiflora ssp pole evansii, Lycoris aurea,Rohdea japonica ,Saxifraga x urbium 'Aurea Punctata',Spiranthes cernua f. odorata 'Chadds Ford',Lycoris aurea Hubei, Cardamine diphylla,Cardamine concatenate, Caulophyllum thalictroides,Hypoxis hirsuta ,Medeola virginiana,Reineckia carnea ,Teucrium majoricum ,Saxifraga x urbium 'Aurea Punctata',Malvaviscus drummondii,Hebe buxifolia ,Sarcococca confusa , Hippeastrum x johnsonii ,Phlox stolonifera 'Blue Ridge',Phlox stolonifera 'Home Fires',Phlox stolonifera 'PinkRidge', Phlox stolonifera,all are doing well and all arrived in great shape.Packaging is especially good.This nursery takes great pains to deliver a quality product.I always order with confidence.Wonderful selection of plants.The Lycoris' hubei' was especially beautiful.
On May 21st, 2012, psychloman added the following:

I received an order of shortia galacifolia,3 different sarcocococcas and a dierama.All plants were in great shape as usual. I have been ordering from lazy ss for years and have never been disappointed.Today I placed another order with them for tarragon, rosemary and butterfly weed.In fact I never knew they offered tarragon at all until I read a posting on dave's garden saying how wonderful lazy ss' clone was.So, while on their website I couln't resist ordering a couple of more things .
On May 30th, 2014, psychloman added the following:

I just received an order of five phloxes and one dicentra, as usual everything arrived quickly and in great shape. Most of the plants I've ordered from them over the years are still in my garden and doing beautifully. I can't recommend them too highly.
Positive KJWThack
East Lansdowne, PA
May 30, 2014
The plants I received from Lazy S were very healthy, well packed and in perfect condition. I will definitely be ordering from them again - they have a great selection, reasonable prices, and they don't charge outrageous shipping fees. I also really like buying from a small family-run business. Debby is excellent at communication and customer service. Highly recommend!
Positive yodasan
ALDIE, VA
May 29, 2014
Very impressed with the variety, quality and quantity of available plants. Communication was not lacking with this company. They kept me informed of the status of my order and when it was to be delivered. It is very clear that each plant is treated like one of their very own children. I would definitely order from them again. The packaging of plants was very impressive and clever. Not a leaf or branch broken during shipment. Thank you for my beautiful plants.
Positive SetterX2
Little Silver, NJ
May 19, 2014
Posted on April 17, 2014, updated May 19, 2014
I can't sing high enough praise for these folks. The bulk of my order just arrived and all the plants are perfect. They have been tended with care and not a leaf was out of place. I am thrilled, as many of these plants are impossible to find in this area. Two plants are back-ordered and my expectation is that they will arrive just as beautiful as these. EXCELLENT communication. Lovely, informative site and GREAT plants~ Thank you for all that you do!
On May 19th, 2014, SetterX2 added the following:

Back-ordered plants arrived over the weekend and are perfect, as expected. I did lose my caryopteris from the initial shipping, but it was entirely my fault, as I over watered the poor thing. Everything else is thriving.
Positive cottelpg
Hamilton, OH (Zone 6a)
May 17, 2014
I ordered from Lazy S'S Plant Farm fior the first time this spring. Wow, was I pleasantly surprised! High quality plants arrived exquisitely packed. They gave detailed instructions and were careful with every detail. Plus, their selection is huge. I was able to find plants that I could not locate elsewhere. I will certainly order from them again.
Positive Mary47
Chapel Hill, NC
May 16, 2014
Posted on June 2, 2013, updated May 16, 2014
Excellent selection of plants suitable for NC Piedmont, the plants were very well packed, and were healthy and in good condition on arrival.
On May 16th, 2014, Mary47 added the following:

Another year, another order. Their selection for central NC continues to be outstanding. All of last year's plants are doing well. The Serissa foetida "Variegata" is blooming and lovely. My order this year included several epimediums, hope they are happy here. Packing was excellent and plants are entirely intact and healthy looking.
Positive esanita
TYASKIN, MD (Zone 7a)
May 16, 2014
Posted on April 18, 2013, updated May 16, 2014
Posted on April 26, 2012, updated April 18, 2013
Large, healthy plants with superb packaging. This was my first time ordering from them -- I will certainly order from them again.
On April 18th, 2013, esanita added the following:

Great plants, great packaging.
On May 16th, 2014, esanita added the following:

Great plants. Great customer service.
Positive doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
May 15, 2014
There were some problems with this order, none of which were Lazy S's fault. The post office did not provide good service cross country, some plants were not viable after the terrible winter so could not be shipped and some were not developed enough for prompt shipment due again to the winter. But the plants, when I finally got them, were among the best I've seen from a mail order company and the packing was definitely the best. One of the boxes arrived much later than the priority mail guarantee, but the plants were in perfect shape due to the careful packaging. The communication through all this was great. The owners must be just about the nicest people on earth.
Positive evansb
Buffalo, NY
May 14, 2014
Received healthy plants that were well packed.
Would order from them again and recommend them to others.
Positive limey99
Groveton, VA
May 1, 2014
As a Christmas present for my dad, I ordered an A. konjac from Lazy S'S Farm. For years, we have been fascinated with "corpse flowers" and loved reading anecdotes about these smelly plants. I was therefore excited to find this business after scrounging around Google. As it turned out, our zoning area was too cold to risk a shipment in December. I placed an order anyway and thought it was worth the wait, although part of me wondered if my order would be lost or forgotten in the meantime. I needn't have worried. Debby Sheuchenko, the owner, was very professional. A few days before the delivery was scheduled to take place, she sent a courteous email that notified me of the order I had placed months ago. She described the bulb in detail and told me that it was being prepared for shipment. When the plant arrived, it came securely packaged. I also received another email from Mrs. Sheuchenko, who wanted to know if my present had arrived safely. I was truly impressed by her genuine concern and desire to please. Of all my years of online shopping, I have never encountered such a pleasant transaction.
Positive wenmac
Falls Church, VA
April 23, 2014
Great experience. Super healthy well-established plants. Perfect packaging. Informative website. This is my second year ordering from Lazy S'S and all the plants I ordered last year are coming back strong.
Positive manuremomma
Richardson, TX
April 18, 2014
I am in the midst of rebuilding my garden due to my recent move from Texas to California. My shipment has just arrived and I am very pleased. Of course get local whenever I can but sometimes one must look across the border :o) Plants were very healthy and well packaged for their trek across the statelines. Very pleased with products and website is very informative.
Positive mlphoto
GLEN OAKS, NY
April 18, 2014
As a newbie to gardening, the thing that comes through for me is that the care taken in shipping the plants matches the clarity and dedication you sense when visiting the website. There are no short cuts or "lazy-ness" there!
Mark Lozier
Positive gmanager999
College Station, TX
April 17, 2014
I placed a large order with Lazy S'S and my order yesterday. As is typical with deliveries I receive via USPS, the boxes were pretty banged up (despite the warnings you had on the outside of the boxes). However, when I opened the boxes I was greatly surprised that everything looked great! I am thoroughly impressed by the packing job that Lazy S'S did with the plants I received. To go to the extra trouble to “double pot” the plants, put rubber bands around the pots to secure the contents and place the green sticks in the pots to keep the rubber bands in place showed tremendous attention to detail that I rarely see with my plant orders. I was also impressed with the stickers on some of the plants advising me of certain conditions like shallow rooted, dormant, etc. Again, I have not seen this before (and I have ordered a lot of plants this past year). Because of the sphagnum moss surrounding the base of each plant, the plants were all still moist. All of the plants look healthy and ready to be planted in their new home.

Needless to say I will be recommending Lazy S’S Farm Nursery to all of my gardening friends.
Positive Sweetbear27
Middleburg, FL
April 10, 2014
After searching numerous websites for the plant of my choice, I discovered the item in stock and available for immediate shipping at Lazy S'S Farm & Nursery, so I placed an order for a sweetbesty plant. I was very pleased to received the plant in less than one week. The plant was packaged very professionally and arrived in excellent condition. I emailed to inform the company the plant had arrived safely, and was very pleased to receive a gracious thanks, additional care instructions for my new "baby" and a really nice picture of the nursery employees. I will definitely use their site for any of my future plant needs. My experience was GREAT! I highly recommend this business.
Positive mfast10
Jacksonville, FL
April 7, 2014
I bought several perrenials from Lazy S's as they had selections I could not find locally. They were well packed and arrived in good condition.
Positive ButterflyHost
(Zone 9b)
March 26, 2014
An amazing job of packing & packaging on the order. Not a single branch or leaf out of place, despite traveling from Virginia to Florida
Positive coriaceous
ROSLINDALE, MA
January 22, 2014
I've ordered from Lazy S twice. Both times communication was good, I received exactly what I ordered when I expected it, and the plants were beautifully grown and packed. They also offer an exceptionally wide selection of great uncommon garden plants. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this nursery to anyone.