The scoop on 'Hidden Valley Hibiscus'

762 Puerta de Lomas
Fallbrook, California 92028 (United States)

Comments:

Negative Madri
Hudson, OH
August 27, 2014
I ordered 5 plants and a fertilizer from this company on Jan 29, I ordered them together to save on shipping. This is my first time ordering from them. I got 4 plants and the fertilizer in May but 1 plant was not shipped. When I emailed, they reported that it was small and would be shipped once it is big enough. I so badly wanted that plant, I was willing to wait. I get another email few weeks later saying that the plant is still small to be shipped and they were refunding my money. I replied that I was willing to wait for the plant I wanted or if I could order something similar in its place. They asked me to place an order for the replacement online and put a comment to cancel the old one and use the credit for new one. I could not do the replacement order online so I emailed them to use the credit to get the replacement plant. But at that time they emailed me that my money was already refunded and there is nothing that they could do and I will have to place a new order.
For a new order I will pay 29.44 ( plant 14.99 + 14.45 for shipping ) when I got a refund of 18.99( plant 14.99 + 4 for shipping) from them. Overall I am extremely unhappy with the way my order was handled
Positive texasbelle
Mid Gulf Coast, TX (Zone 9b)
July 10, 2014
I ordered a hibiscus last Sunday night (July 6) and added a note that it was a birthday gift that I needed by tomorrow (July 11).....it came TODAY!!!! And what a gorgeous plant it is.....healthy, shiny leaves and not a speck of loose dirt in the box. This plant is MUCH nicer than the ones I found at my local nursery and about the same price even with shipping. Plus, my local nursery didn't have this particular plant and weren't interested in ordering for me. Thank you so much, Hidden Valley, for making my niece's birthday gift special!!! Ya'll ROCK!!!!!
Positive pattygreengenes
Lansdale, PA
July 1, 2013
I ordered the following:

Rain Drop 2 gal $44.99
Kona 4" Pot $12.99
Hankins Sport 4" Pot $9.99
Cosmic Gold 4" Pot $14.99

They were carefully packaged and in perfect condition and in bud on arrival. The plants are large and healthy. The Rain Drop is so big I have to buy a new pot for it.

Absolutely stellar plant material. I will never order hibiscus from anyone else (I also ordered from another Cajun hibiscus supplier this year and was disappointed with the plants I received).

Hidden Valley also publishes an informative newsletter.
Neutral rdarkholm
Greenacres, FL
June 7, 2013
As many have said, bad communication and customer service is virtually nil. I have purchased many many MANY plants from them and although most of the time I'm very happy with their plants, when I have a problem I can not get any resolution. I was sent the wrong plant over two years ago. I contacted them only to be told to wait and take photos of the flowers. I did so and was continually told to wait and perhaps the flowers would change. Two years later the plant has grown and the flowers are EXACTLY the same, which is not what I purchased. Now, I write wanting to know what they plan to do and I get no response. Really? I have spent hundreds of dollars on plants and their products and I can't get resolution on one silly little plant? I hate to go elsewhere, but I need to be able to know that I can rely on a company to give me answers and help me out if there is a mistake or even if I'm having a weird problem with a plant. So that's my two cents worth. Love the plants they have generally, loathe the non-existant customer service. Go figure!
Company representative comment on December 26, 2013:
On Dec 26, 2013 8:55 AM, Hidden Valley Hibiscus responded with:

Hi rdarkholm,

We apologize for this!!!!!!! We do owe you a plant or a credit, and I'm not sure how this happened. We ask customers to wait and send more pictures when we can't identify a flower by the picture you send us, but it should not have gone 2 years!!!!!! Please give us another chance. Please email us at orders@hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com and put a note in your order asking for Cindy's attention. I will make sure you get a credit for the mistagged plant!

Our email volume is so insanely high these days that it has caused a customer service problem for us that we are working on. Please, to anyone who reads this - if you email us and don't get a response, please email again. Sometimes an important email gets lost in the hundreds of general question emails we get every week. It helps a lot if it's specific problem with an order to reply to your order receipt, or to use the order form on our contact page. Those emails always get the highest priority.

I apologize again for our lapse with your mistagged plant!

Neutral tomapis
Union Park, FL
April 18, 2013
Hidden Valley do have awesome plants. Better success then with other growers. But last two orders have been late and really no contact with the company via email or with phone. First order was great so not sure if they have had managment change. Suspicious they have. Plants come in great condition but poor customer service as of late.
Company representative comment on December 26, 2013:
On Dec 26, 2013 8:48 AM, Hidden Valley Hibiscus responded with:

It's getting harder and harder for us to give the kind of personal customer service we used to give. We wish we could still do that! But we get literally hundreds of emails every day. It's shocking how much email an online business gets. We're so sorry that we can no longer give all our customers the personal touch we used to be able to give!

Thank you for the kind comment about our plants!

Positive Gibberillins
Los Angeles, CA
September 5, 2010
Awesome company to buy from. Unique, well grown plants which when seen in person defy reality. Most the plants sold at HVH are unique hybrids that are thoroughly tested, so only the best of the best make it to online store. Almost all my hibiscus are from HVH, and I have never had a problem.

New to hibiscus? No problem they have a great selection of beginner plants in their tried and true section. If you want quality plants, from a company that knows how to grow and hybridize hibiscus look no further than Hidden Valley hibiscus.
Positive kelster2
Fallbrook, CA
June 1, 2009
I have purchased 10 plants from HVH and they have all been great. The service is wonderful and the plants are healthy and gorgeous....luckily I live nearby and can even attend their open houses in person. I highly recommend Hidden Valley for top quality, unique plants.
Positive amorecuore
Ft Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10a)
April 4, 2009
I have ordered from Hidden Valley Hibiscus at least 10 times and have always received good communication and prompt customer service. I received healthy plants on every occasion except once and that plant was replaced free of charge with a new healthy plant with no questions asked. That is the way to run a business and develop happy returning customers. I highly recommend this retailer.
Positive camillefun
Magnolia, TX
November 8, 2008
Love the quart size "Hot Wired" Hibiscus...covered in Blooms - Very Fast shipping also. I have ordered 3 more plants.
Positive pattybotanic
Lansdale, PA
August 19, 2008
I ordered two plants, High Voltage and Belle de Jour, from them on April 9th and received my plants May 17th. Belle de Jour was very small and I worried if it would survive much less grow. I wrote to them re my disappointment and they urged me to wait saying that it would take off. It's now August and I am still waiting.

High Voltage, on the other hand, is very vigorous and has already flowered. It is truly spectacular.

So my Neutral rating is because one sucked and one was terrific.
On June 17th, 2009, pattybotanic changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Hidden Valley sent me a replacement plant this spring so I am upgrading to positive because of the good service and communication. It is bigger and has a vastly better root system that did the one last year.
Company representative comment on November 8, 2008:

On Nov 8, 2008 4:58 AM, Hidden Valley Hibiscus added:

But Patty, you never wrote us back and told us the plant was still not doing well! Shipping is stressful for plants, and unless the plant is badly damaged, it will usually bounce back. But if it doesn't bounce back, you just need to email us again and let us know.

I just reread the email you sent me, and you were asking for something else, which we did for you. It wasn't even clear in your email that you were unhappy with your hibiscus!

If your Belle du Jour is not growing still, please email us at office@hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com and we will replace it. Every now and then a plant can look perfectly fine but have something wrong with it like this, and we always want to know about it.

Positive dottik
Oakland, OR (Zone 8a)
June 14, 2008
Due to the persistantly bad weather either here in Oregon or there in California, my plants were not able to be shipped until early June. They arrived the day expected per the emails I sent and received. They were wonderfully packed and the plants were in great shape. They are healthy and just what I wanted. Will definitely purchase again, soon.
Positive ultimateshopper
Tulsa, OK
October 18, 2007
I purchased 3 plants from HVH, 2 for me and one for my mom for mother's day. Customer Service was EXCELLENT - Cindy gave me the estimated delivery dates and notified me promptly when I had questions after my plants arrived! They were packed really well and I didn't have a single damaged leaf! I'd definately recommend!
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
September 11, 2007
Extremely happy w/ this company. Excellent quality plants and great customer service.
Positive ecrane3
Dublin, CA (Zone 9a)
September 5, 2007
I've placed several orders with HVH this summer, and all the plants have arrived quickly and been in great shape. Very healthy and a good size, many have bloomed already too. I'll definitely buy from them again (and again, and again!)
Positive purplepatti
Anaheim, CA
September 3, 2007
I have placed two orders with the company in the last couple of months and the plants are beautiful. The packing is perfect and there has been no damage to any of the plants. I was shorted one non plant item but after a quick email the item was shipped promptly. They responded very quickly with a return email and apology. The customer service has been great and I will continue to order these beautiful plants in the future.
Positive amarantha00
San Bernardino, CA (Zone 8b)
August 31, 2007
I have nothing but praise for this company. I've purchased hibiscus both online and in person, at their monthly open houses. Maybe I've gotten lucky with customer service, but they've been absolutely fantastic with me. I've always gotten my plants and care products very quickly and the plants are always large and extremely healthy. Personally, I never hesitate to recommend Hidden Valley Hibiscus to others.
Negative sloveslove
Pittsburgh, PA
July 9, 2007
I ordered from Hidden Valley Hibiscus on 4/1/07 and never received my order until the middle of June. I sent them at least four e-mail asking them what the problem was. (They take there time answering your e-mail questions.) They gave me several excuses why my order did not ship when it was suppose to. One was that they had a long hard winter in Cal. and the plants weren't ready yet. The company told me twice that my order was going to ship, once on 5/1/07 and the other on 5/20/07 neither time did my oder come. Only after threatening to cancal my order did I receive my plant. The only bright spot was that once I got my hibiscus it was of good quality. Not a very reliable company and don't bother trying to contact them by phone. No one answers!
Company representative comment on July 21, 2008:

On Jul 21, 2008 8:51 AM, Hidden Valley Hibiscus added:

We take a different approach than many shippers. Our grower has the final say when plants ship, and he won't OK them unless they are up to the standard that offers the customer the best experience with these rare varieties. We're sorry this gentleman had to wait but after a few weeks he did get what he wanted and was happy with the plant, as he said. These aren't widgets, and don't come off an assembly line. They are live young plants of new and exotic varieties and are not always predictable.

Our customer service is done via email, as is clear on our website and when one calls and gets a message saying so. Email allows both us and our customers to have a record and we have found it to be more efficient and lead to fewer mistakes or misunderstandings than talking on the phone.

Thanks to all our many great customers out there who enjoy these hibiscus as much as we do!

Positive gordo
Gulfport, FL (Zone 9b)
March 1, 2007
I am posting a neutral rating, not because of the quality of plants offered. On the contrary, the plants are great and the selection wonderful.
I am more concerned with customer service. I have written three times regarding my order and have not had a response. One of the plants I ordered back in December has bloomed and is the incorrect variety. In the meantime, a subsequent order was placed for other plants with the order confirmation stating plants will be delivered in April. This is Florida, no danger of frost, and all of my Hibiscus are blooming. I would like to use the ordered plants for making seed, but if the plants are held until April or beyond, I will lose the opportunity of pollinating the varieties I've chosen.

Three letters and a phone call (barely audible automated response and directing the customer back to their website) have left me in a quandry. I have problems and no offer of solutions from a company with great plants, but a customer service nightmare on their hands.

I'm hoping Hidden Valley gives me a reason to up my rating to positive...I really want to...
On March 13th, 2007, gordo changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I'm changing my rating to positive. I received a reply to my questions via email, and am well satisfied with HVH's effort to contact me. If they continue to offer prompt responses to customer inquiries...the sky's not the limit with this company.

They're Hibiscus selection is stellar, plant quality is excellent, shipped plants arrive in excellent condition and are large. You get what you pay for and more...

This is a great source for Tropical Hibiscus.
Positive guttation
Tucson, AZ
August 6, 2006
These people have great plants, but it is hard to get them to send them to you. I placed two orders, one at the end of March and one in the first week of April. By the end of June I had not received any plants, and I used the form on their website to ask about the first order. After I had sent a second message to them, they responded that they would send me both plants. One of the plants came right away. I emailed and asked what happened to the other. They responded that the ones of the size I ordered were not doing well, and offered to send me a larger size. I recieved the larger size in a few days. They did not charge me any extra for the larger size. Then I asked about the second order of one plant. I was not very happy to have to ask about a second order and asked them if it was necessary to ask them to send an order before they would actually send it. They did not respond. Maybe they are punishing me for not being happy with their service. I have used their message form to ask about this remaining plant two more times. I have not received either a plant or an answer. I emailed them again today, but I have no hope of receiving a response.

If it was just one order I would have thought it was an isolated mistake, but since the same thing happened twice, it appears that they have a bigger problem. If they had responded to any of my emails about the second order, I would have been happy. They might have said that they were out of that variety and offered me a substitute or my money back. They haven't done anything in the month since I first asked about the second order.

On August 6th, 2006, guttation changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I thought I should explain why I changed my rating. I really like this companies plants, and I want to buy from them in the future. I am just confused about why I have not received my plant or even a response to my questions.
On August 11th, 2006, guttation changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I was right, they didn't email me in response to my message, but they did send me the plant I ordered. I look forward to buying more plants from them next year.
Neutral cowgardener
Southport, ME
June 23, 2006
If my memory serves me correctly, we ordered from this company before and had quite good service. This year however there has been little communication other than a standardized e-mail stating that they send plants when they feel they're ready. We ordered in February expecting plants to be shippable in April or May at the latest. Now we're a week away from July & no hibiscus. We'll try e-mailing again & see if we get anywhere but we're unfortunately prepared to move our patiently "neutral" rating to "negative".
On June 23rd, 2006, cowgardener added the following:

We're also not too thrilled to have their phone service refer all calls to their e-mail address. In this situation we'd actually like to talk to a person, not a computer.
On June 23rd, 2006, cowgardener added the following:

It should also be noted that they charged our credit card on the day of our order, February 8, 2006. The "grand total" stated in on their e-mail order confirmation $138.94 but our credit card was charged $164.71.
Positive poiboy
Wallingford, CT
June 21, 2005
I'm surprised there aren't more EXCELELNT comments about HIDDEN VALLEY HIBISUCS. I have ordered from them twice -- 4 plants in 2003 and 6 plants in 2005.
The plant material I received was nothing less than exquisite. When they say, Blooming out of the box, they are not kidding -- 2 FLOWERS OPEN in the box that was in the mail for 3 DAYS !! coast to coast -- and within the first 10 days of receipt -- 8 flowers - and that's just on 3 of the 6 plants !! These hibiscus are worth the price - shipping is reasonable and very well packaged -- one or two yellow leaves is to be expected -- Plants were not stressed or dry -- excellent condition -- excellent quality. I have ordered hibiscus grown from "cuttings" (elsewhere) that were very disappointing- these are quality grafted plants that I will order again !! HVH answered all my e-mail in less than the 24 hour timeframe they promise. They had to substitute one selection and sent a more expensive variety in its place.
I placed another order and had plants shipped direct to my sister -- same thing -- she's still raving about the plants and the flowers.
Positive Katnjoe
May 14, 2004
Compared to another hibiscus company, I was VERY pleased with my order. I had ordered 4 from the other company and one from Hidden Valley. The one from Hidden Valley was 3 and one half times larger and packed much better. I will stick to them until they prove me wrong. They also have great "advice" sites on their homepage. Keep up the good work!
Neutral Yahoots
Boston, MA
April 14, 2004
Having ordered several hibiscus plants in Februaury, and noted that they have billed my credit company and have been paid. I have not had a response from any of my emails trying to find out about my order, I have not received a confirmation of my order, except for my credit card company
On April 27th, 2004, Yahoots changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I received a call this morning from Hidden Valley Hibiscus, stating that had responded to all of my emails and were cancelling my order and refunding my credit card company. I never received a order confirmation, or any other communication from them, They should have been able to determine that I was not receiving their emails, they had both my home address and telephone number, and could have reached me, they claim the problem was my email address, and that I had 24 hours to change my rating or that they would respond to my negative rating. Even after two months, I should have received the plants. I will give them a neutral rating, they certainly had otional ways to reach me.