The scoop on 'Happy Moose Gardens'

Happy Moose Gardens

Newfield, New Jersey 08344
(United States)

Phone: n/a

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Closed July, 2010

As per a note from the owner, this business has closed.

Comments:

Negative caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA (Zone 4b)
August 17, 2011
I ordered several daylilies from a a'fantastic sale" - I agree, it sounded great pricewise. I sent my paypal and received an email that I was "confirmed" for these plants. No mention of when they would be sent...No reply to my questioning e-mails either. Wish I had checked here first! Maybe he is bi-polar or something and has these wide moodswings and sometimes is able to accomplish wonders and other times cannot function??? Honestly, I just assumed he was a legitimate business and a hybridizer.
Negative 2manyroses
Winchester, OH
August 23, 2010
I placed an order and paid by Paypal on 7/20/10. At that time, I was getting speedy email responses. His website says to be ready for your plants as they will be shipping right away.... finally after 2 weeks, I emailed - no response and then called - he says he's moving and hadn't had time to ship but would ship the following Monday. Now here it is 8/23 - still no plants. I've emailed several times and he doesn't even answer anymore - but the last email I got told me he was adding more plants to his sale - just look at his website. Yes, he's still advertising a moving sale and I could hardly believe he had the nerve to invite me to even look when right now, he's got $105 of my money and I have nothing. However, I did file a dispute with Paypal today. BUYERS BEWARE!
Negative Betja
Bakersfield, CA
August 21, 2010
The website for Happy Moose Gardens is http://www.happymoosegardens.com. It is interesting that you show the garden was closed in July 2010, because his website lists a sale that just ended on August 20. I was ripped off for $42.50 by Mr. Baxter when I ordered the 2009 AHS Convention DVD on June 5, paid through Paypal, and never received the DVD. I emailed Mr. Baxter in July through his orders email address, received no response, emailed him again on August 4 at his other email address, once again receiving no reply, and tried again today. I then contacted PayPal and found out that it is too late, as I had only 45 days to file a "dispute". So I guess I've been ripped off, and I sure hope others have the good sense to look at the Garden Watchdog before ordering anything from him!
Negative seray53
July 18, 2009
First time ordered with this company. Lilies arrived loose in priority box. No packing. Looks like they were dug a month ago. Very small. Hopefully they can be revived. Worst order I ever received in four years of mail order buying. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Company representative comment on July 20, 2009:
On Jul 20, 2009 7:04 AM, Happy Moose Gardens responded with:

Hi Sherri,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment. I shipped nearly 100 orders this past week and all the comments that I have received so far have been wonderful.

I know that I cut the daylily foliage back a bit but that is normal, you probably even noticed some growth from the foliage when you opened the box. Your plants were dug, trimmed, washed, and packaged within a two hour period. I made three trips to the post office each day to get the plants there as quick as possible. For years I have always wrapped the plants in newspaper and slipped them into the priority mail boxes. They always arrive in 2-3 days. Some people like to soak the plants after they arrive while others put them in the ground right away. I have no idea how a daylily can be damaged sliding around in a box especially when it is wrapped in paper.. It just some leaves and roots.

You ordered two plants that were each labled. The plant markers are only temporary and there should not have been any problem distinquishing which plant was which. It is typical for each gardener to use their own lableing system after plants arrive. I always send a minimum of two fans, and sometimes even more.

Those plants will do absolutely fine in your garden and you will enjoy them wonderfully next season. You will be surprised how much growth you will get within the next month down there in Georgia.

I left two phone messages with you this morning. If you still desire a refund then please return the plants to me with original tags. However, I do not want you unhappy with my plants. I would prefer to send you some other plants at no charge. You can send me a list of suggestions and I will make you happy.

Bobby

Negative SouthJerseyHort
Merchantville, NJ
May 24, 2009
It seems that my experience with Happy Moose is not at all unique. In June of 2007, I ordered 2 DVDs. I paid via PayPal, and waited for the DVDs to arrive. After 60 days, I called the numbers listed on the website. One number had been disconnected; the voicemail of the other was full. I e-mailed and/or called Bobby every month for a year requesting the DVDs or a refund and never heard anything back. When I spoke to a friend of mine who knows Bobby, he shook his head and said that he wasn't surprised. Now that Mr. Baxter has moved up to New Jersey, I'm hoping to meet him at a daylily function so I can ask him where my DVDs are.
Negative aardvark411
Downers Grove, IL
December 15, 2007
My husband ordered hosta dvds for me for my birthday. He didn't want to do paypal and there was no way to order by credit card. He mailed a check which was promptly cashed. Waited and waited. No dvds arrived. Emailed and called and no response. Finally he contacted the Better Business Bureau which was unable to do anything. They did get in touch with his ex who said she was not associated with him any longer and he had problems and she was sorry. So my birthday present for 2007 was getting robbed $119.80.
Happy moose birthday to me! I can't believe this thief is still in business.
Negative Dravencat
Edgewater, MD (Zone 7a)
July 18, 2007
I mailed a check on June 13th, the check went through on June 22. I still have received nothing. I have emailed numerous times and called and left a message on the answering machine with my phone number for them to reach me and still nothing.
I finally emailed them to just refund my money and as before I still get no response whatsoever.
As of today I still have not heard one word from this company in reference to my order or the refund I requested, but it seems they sure cashed my check fast enough.
On August 7th, 2007, Dravencat added the following:

I have been emailing once a week trying to get a response and am now so angry. I realize I didnt place a big order but this is just wrong.
Positive TuddyE
Georgetown, KY (Zone 6a)
July 6, 2006
Definitely a really good source for newer daylilies. I got a terrific price on the sale items, super communication from the seller, extremely fast service, lovely free magnets and best of all huge healthy plants! I was even given extra fans.
I wouldn't hesitate to tell others about this site, and fully recommend it. A very good company!
On August 30th, 2008, TuddyE changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I HAD GOOD LUCK WITH BOBBY IN THE PAST, AND AM WAITING ON A REPLY ABOUT MY ORDER.
My check was cashed 11 days ago, it was for $84. I hope that he is doing better and my 2 dl will arrive. I overpaid for them, but was trying to be of help--he's restarting his business. I will let you know what happens, if/when he returns my e-mail--Jackie from KY
On September 10th, 2008, TuddyE changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

After sending an e-mail, I got a response and a promise to send out the 2 different double fans I ordered. Bobby sent them when promised. They were not only in good condition, but he included 4 fans instead of the promised 2, on one of the plants. Other than being slow with his original e-mail, I have had no problem.
He is in the process of getting ready to move and will be selling much of his garden. Unfortunately, it is getting too late to plant anymore this year--or I would try to buy from him again.
Maybe I am just lucky, but I am satisfied with the transactions I have had with him. He did however apologize for any past problems with anybody, due to an illness.
Positive Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH (Zone 6b)
April 22, 2004
Fantastic Daylilies! They were packaged great, and the fans are large with huge root systems and look very healthy! Prices were great, I'll definitely buy from the Baxter's again!