The scoop on 'Terroir Seeds LLC, home of Underwood Gardens'

Terroir Seeds LLC, home of Underwood Gardens

Terroir Seeds LLC, home of Underwood Gardens has 54 products listed in PlantScout.

Chino Valley, Arizona 86323 (United States)

Phone: 888-878-5247
Fax: 888-878-5247
Paper Catalog Cost: $2

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and seeds.

Company Comment, posted on February 4, 2009:
We are the source for hard to find, open pollinated and heirloom seeds for herbs, flowers and vegetables. We offer gardening supplies and more! We are committed to preserving genetic diversity through heirloom seeds. Our membership program supports community gardening projects that educate new gardeners, provide food for food banks and bring communities together through food production.

Comments:

Positive Beckah
Memphis, TN
April 1, 2013
I discovered Terrior Seeds (Underwood Gardens) last year and sure enough ordered from them again this year. They have seeds which are difficult to find elsewhere. I love them! They're very prompt and no issues. ..I'm certain I will be ordering from them next year ..and the year after that ..and the year after that ..and the ....... :)
Positive 20GreenDigits
Brighton, MA
March 25, 2013
My experience dealing with Terroir Seeds was fantastic. When I had a problem due to an error on my end, I sent them an e-mail outside of normal business hours and get a response in about an hour. The problem had already been looked into and was explained to me, and steps were taken to make sure my order would not be delayed. The order shipped in 2 days, and made it to me across the country in less than a week from placing my order. I will definitely be dealing with this company again
Positive Garden_Sass
Central, TX (Zone 8b)
June 30, 2012
First time OP/heirloom seed order from this company; good prices; prompt shipping; sturdy package, seeds packed with care; also sent catalog, seed starting tips and newsletter!

Can't wait to start transplants and for fall direct seeding to begin; each seed packet has exact planting, germination, transplanting and care info! Will post follow-up on my results using these seeds.
Positive lilygrandma
Ellijay, GA
March 5, 2012
Posted on March 10, 2011, updated March 5, 2012
Posted on April 12, 2010, updated March 10, 2011
I am excited about the hard-to-find seeds that arrived in 4 days--can't wait to plant them and eat! Good work on the quick turn-around!
On March 10th, 2011, lilygrandma added the following:

Ordered Sunday evening, arrived complete on Thursday! Arizona to Georgia! Loved the seeds last year--they did very well!
On March 5th, 2012, lilygrandma added the following:

The seeds last year did great!

I ordered this year's seeds on Thursday evening, and they were here Monday! Wow! THIS is customer service!
Positive Bondo4747
Chino Valley, AZ
September 21, 2010
Hi- I ordered seed from Underwood/Terroir Gardens and was amazed at how quickly I received the order. This pleased me more so because I wanted them as a gift for my wifes birthday. Cindy at Terrior was great in helping me select the right seed for starting our green house back up again this year. It has been 7 years since we have done so and both my wife and I are excited about getting it going again (since our move 7 years ago). She just opened her gift today and is thrilled. It's amazing how simple gifts provide the most pleasure. Thank you to Cindy for her well thought out selection and knowing the importance of such a selection.
Positive dianne99
Brookville, KS (Zone 5b)
May 9, 2010
Fast, friendly service and great selection and info.
Positive tucker303
Denver, CO
March 12, 2010
Pleased....I received the seeds fast, packaged well and S&H was reasonable. Thank you!
Positive seagardener
Southport, ME
March 12, 2010
We have used this company for obtaining obscure and unususal edible plant seeds. It is one of the few companies that offers "Spigariello" or leaf brocolli. Their strain has bright blue-green leaves and takes a long time to produce florets but the young leaves are a great edible green. Spigariello grows 2.5'-3' tall and is a great ornamental edible. We've even used it in the flower border for a great foliage effect. We've always been satisfied with the company's service although their identity has been a bit confusing...Terrior Seeds/Underwood Gardens/Grandma's Garden Catalog.
Positive gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA (Zone 6a)
December 2, 2009
Underwood carried a tomato variety I had been looking (Ernie's Plump) but couldn't find on many of the other well known heritage tomato sites. I placed the order and added a couple of others to make the reasonable shipping cost more worthwhile. The seeds arrived within a few days. Can't ask for better than that! Great service!!
Positive Splintergroupie
Stevensville, MT
March 28, 2009
Very impressive. My order arrived just three days after i ordered online. All the seeds i ordered were there; nothing backordered or forgotten. I will definitely order again..
Positive Spookycharles
Langley, WA (Zone 8b)
February 1, 2009
Underwood Gardens has a fantastic collection of very hard to find heirloom varities. They sent a good quantity of seed and the order arrived extremely quickly - it was likely the quickest delivery I've ever had on a seed order. I definitely plan to order from them again in the near future.
Neutral bmuller
Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a)
February 14, 2008
I like these folks. I've ordered from them twice now, and service and selection both have been excellent. I especially like the fact that I can find seeds here that are hard to find elsewhere. For example, they are the only ones I've found who carry spinach beet-greens. Excellent greens--prolific grower, good flavor, unusually slow to bolt.
On July 25th, 2008, bmuller changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I still consider their service, seeds, and selection outstanding. But I question their concern about accuracy in labelling. Their annual clary seeds are advertised as "clary sage," and the Latin name is given as salvia sclarea (the correct name for clary sage, but not for the photo or description of the plant, which both fit salvia viridis, or annual clary). I sent a couple of emails, both of which were ignored, and the labelling hasn't changed. I'm not insulted; my botanical knowledge is neither deep nor impressive. Nobody is obliged to listen to me. But I do know both of the plants involved here--and I'm a little worried that, if there is a casual attitude toward accuracy in labelling this plant, there well may be some inaccuracy in labelling the plants I DON'T know but might be interested in purchasing--by their correct names.
Positive damask0
Ellicott City, MD
April 21, 2007
Having moved to a new house where the garden was an utter wasteland, I was looking for a good source of native and heirloom seeds. I was delighted to find Underwood Gardens. Their website is informative and descriptive, my seeds arrived with reasonable promptness, everything was well labeled with cultivation guidelines, and the germination rate is well above average. Not only was I delighted with them, but my friends have regularly asked me where I was able to find several of the variants I'm growing. I think I've made a couple other converts too.
Positive gloryglory
Farmingdale, NY (Zone 7a)
March 3, 2007
Fast shipping, no problems with the order, very pleased with service given.
Positive mdance
Mokena, IL
May 7, 2006
My Mom introduced me to Underwood Gardens and knowing about them has been HIGHLY rewarding! I wouldn't buy my heirlooms from anyplace else! They are true gardeners, interested in making the world a better and more beautiful place one garden at a time. Their staff is EXCELLENT! I have had some trouble with their website, and that's technology for you... the people at this service-minded company go out of their way to accomodate any problems created by technology. OUTSTANDING!
Positive Levi2_Brown
Vancouver, WA
May 4, 2006
I live in a condo surrounded by shared common ground and very limited individual space. Due to the minimal amount of personal ground, how I chose to use mine has become a very slow, decisive process.

When I received the Underwood Gardens catalogue and an assortment of bulbs as a gift I had no idea what a wonderful gift it would become. The vibrant, almost flamboyant blossums had neighbors thanking me for the Spring show of color. Neighbors who had passed for nearly 15 years without a nod now stopped and discussed flowers.

What a treat!! To discuss flowers! To discuss salvaging heirloom plants! To share a season, and memory of other times and other flowers. I have never had such a wonderful gift and I thank you for your part in it.
Positive erics
Chicago, IL
May 3, 2006
I love Underwood Gardens! I get to feel like a luddite, growing the best of what my forebears grew, without the pain of having to smash industrial equipment with sledgehammers. Seriously, I can't think of a more thoughtful, concise catalog of hard to find, desirable, food and flower crops. Their service is excellent, and if I have questions, I feel like I'm asking the person who has watched to seed grow. If I had to order from just one catalog, this would be it.
Positive caronwenzel
Woodstock, IL
May 3, 2006
I have bought my heirloom tomatoes, peppers and other plants and products from Underwood Gardens for years and have always had class A++ service. I feel that the criticism of Underwood Gardens' web page was unfair. Many companies do a great deal of online business in an extermly hostile virtual world. I don't like big brother either but online security is of utmost importance. If a site is difficult to work with, email the company and they are more that willing to fix a problem, especially Underwood Gardens. Positive input is always better. Good manners, ethics and respect on the internet is one of the things that is missing, therefore the need for security.
Positive Farmerdill
Augusta, GA (Zone 8a)
January 9, 2006
Good selection of hard to find open pollinated vegetable cultivars. Shipping was prompt and accurate.
Positive grdngrwr
Wonder Lake, IL
December 7, 2005
I have been a satisfied customer for many years, and am pleased that they are finally getting the recognition they deserve - just voted one of the top seed companies in Mother Earth News. Great products and great customer service. A pleasure to do business with. Keep up the good work!
Positive Pony_Rose
Rolling Meadows, IL
November 30, 2005
I am very impressed with the quality and variety of seeds offered by Underwood.

Their customer service is "above and beyond" anyone else from whom I've ordered. They are always available to answer questions and offer support, and this is the first seed company with whom I've worked that actually encourages its customers to save and share seed!

I am also impressed by Underwood Gardens' commitment to biodiversity and the preservation of heirloom and open-pollinated seed.

Definitely a 5 star operation!
Positive PurplePansies
Deal, NJ (Zone 7a)
April 13, 2005
I like Underwood gardens mainly for their superb selection of seeds their prices are expensive.... more expensive than most but for something rare or old or sought after this is a pretty darn good place.... I ordered rare old fashioned fragrant heliotrope - among other things.... from them and this is a VERY HARD TO FIND variety..... expensive $4.00 BUCKS! but probably worth it.... As per mes negative rating regarding underwood requiring a password to order this seems to be standard routine at as mes put it "most online vendors" it is partially for security so others cannot log into your account and steal information.... A good albeit expensive company .... shipping was fairly timely.... not the best but reasonable.... shipping expense average..... If only they could lower their prices..... :)
Negative mes
Lawrence, KS
January 10, 2005
I've ordered from Underwood Gardens for several years now, and I like the selection and quality of their seeds. But on the basis of my most recent experience (January 2005), I feel that their service should be improved. This year, for the first time, I must "create an account," complete with password, to order from the website; I resent this "Big Brother" surveillance and wish that Underwood would give me the option of ordering as a "guest" (as do other online vendors). During the online ordering process, I am not given the option of printing out my order, as I'm used to with other vendors, so I end up with no record of what I've ordered; this lack of documentation is compounded by the fact that Underwood doesn't bother to send an invoice along with the seeds. If the owners of Underwood Gardens would like models of user-friendly websites, they should check out Nichols Garden Nursery or John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds (both of which also send detailed invoices).
Positive mominem
Ashton, IL (Zone 5a)
September 20, 2003
I started a seed order online, but the screen froze up on my computer and I couldn't complete the order. Underwood Gardens called me at home to complete the order, and then it arrived in just a couple of days. Wow! I was impressed with such excellent customer service. I have ordered from them before with good germination rates on the seeds.
Positive kennyr
Saugus, MA (Zone 6a)
August 30, 2003
Because I was concerned in losing a very unusual shallot, I decided to send some of my 'heirloom' shallots to Underwood as a test for a new future offering. Last fall, I sent them some of these shallot bulblet clusters to test and I have followed up several times with events that relate to their propigation, seeding, and harvesting times. I am in hopes that they will offer these to anyone who wants to grow a unique shallot not usually found anywhere else. To date, I have sucessfully grown these for several years as they are quite hardy even in New England, and survive over very cold winters. My dad had planted these more than 30 years ago (don't know where he found them) and I can only say that a cousin also has these growing in her back yard and didn't know what they were until I told her.
Underwoods' owner was please at my sending them these shallots for evaluation and offered me some free seeds to cover my expenses which was very nice of them. Right now, I estimate that if all the shallots I sent them have produced babies, they should have a nice batch of sets to offer a few people next year.
Positive GardeningGirl
Chicago, IL
May 4, 2003
I ordered some hard-to-find heirloom melon seeds that I had previously ordered elsewhere but were temporarily out of stock, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to plant them early enough. I received them in record time, beautifully packaged. This is a great company!
Positive jankosgirl
February 10, 2003
Everything I've ordered from Underwood has been beautifully (and correctly) labelled and packaged, sent quickly and often sent with a handwritten note from the person who packed the seed. The first time I ordered, I think the total came to about $85...a lot of seeds, and no two packages alike. The plants that grew out of those seeds were utterly fantastic.

The catalog selections were tasty and unusual, the seeds had 95% germination or better, and the new varieties lived up to the catalog descriptions. Excellent, caring company.
Positive nmax
Lima, OH (Zone 5a)
January 21, 2002
Good quality seeds at reasonable rates.
Positive planman38104
Memphis, TN (Zone 7a)
December 9, 2001
Large selection of hard to find ornamental heirlooms. Shipping is quick and professional and prices are reasonable