The scoop on 'Killdeer Farms'

Killdeer Farms

21606 NW 51st Ave
Ridgefield, Washington 98642 (United States)

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Positive kathinsacto
Sacramento, CA
June 8, 2011
I wrote to Steve and asked what was going on like with their website etc. He wrote me back within a day and said this.....

Our website is being updated, prices and shipping costs have not changed in over 10 years!!! The site should be up by this fall, if you know what you want, you can place an order anytime via e-mail . Steve@killderfarms.com

I wrote him back and asked again what is going on with all these unhappy people and will post his response if I get one.

I have an aunt in Oregon in the Nursery business and she said Killdeer has been in business for some time and that something serious must have happened for all this to be going on and that she would have no problem ordering from them again and again like she has in the past.

I myself will be sending in a large order for plants and I'm not going to worry about all this.

Negative HawaiiMermaid
Kailua Kona, HI
May 24, 2011
I had been in contact with Killdeer Farms as of May 6th. I received a simple response from barton2@aol.com and it was signed steve@killdeerfarms.com. When I responded with my questions I sent it to both addresses, and always the response was from barton2@aol.com. (I'm assuming it's the same person). I finally told them what I wanted to order and I never heard from them again. I've been trying every week to contact them. Tonight I tried the website again and it says the "Account has been suspended". I tried the phone number in WA and a recording that it has been disconnected plays. It's pretty obvious that they are finally out of business. Regardless, they played me until the last minute. I guess I can count my blessings that I never gave them any credit card information! Stay away. Even if they do get their act together I don't think I'll purchase from them. Sad...it's the only place I'd found exactly what I was looking for! However, I don't like what they've done to people in the past, and if I'd seen this earlier (my search would lead me to their website!) I never would have wasted the past month trying to get something shipped to me. Don't waste you're time!

Negative chester27
Sherman, CT
August 23, 2010
The geraniums I ordered from Killdeer Farms in Ridgefield Washington were small cuttings rather than rooted plants. I was told that the total charge would be $20.00 for four plants, including shipping. Several weeks after my first charge i was charged an additional $30.00 on my credit card for"Shipping".
The company has not returned my calls or my e-mails - the plants all died. I should have read previous comments before sending in an order. Do not use this company they are crooks.
Positive Kipuka
Lake Zurich, IL
February 19, 2010
I wqas surprised to see all of the negative comments, and I found them AFTER I had ordered several rosebud geraniums. The geraniums arrived 2 days after I ordered, Washington to Illinois in February! They arrived in great shape except for one poor plant who had gotten smashed in transit. I informed Steve and he IMMEDIATELY replied by email AND phoned me to say he would be sending an replacement. All arrived in great condition.
That is superior customer service. I will order from them again.
Negative shohinken
Fort Lauderdale, FL
September 16, 2009
I ordered 6 mini zonal geraniums. I said substitution was okay if substitutions were minis. The order was promptly sent and plants were large plants. I only received1 plant that I ordered. The other plants were all substitutions and they were not minis. The order was
not well packed. I was sent a bonus plant and it wasn't a mini either.
I was very unhappy with my experience with Killdeer Farms. KHyoung
Positive greengenie
Santa Cruz, CA
July 23, 2009
Surprised to see all the negative comments. I discovered this place at the 2008 and 2009 San Francisco Flower and Garden shows, where they had a booth with loads of very healthy, unusual varieties that did well when I got them home.

This spring (2009) I also placed a $50 mail order with them and everything arrived promptly, in beautiful condition and well labeled.

They were also very helpful and prompt in replying to questions I had, both by phone and by email.

I plan to order more from them in the future.

Negative mxwrig2
Salt Lake City, UT
June 13, 2008
Many years ago, I placed a very large order with Killdeer Farms, and like the rest of you never received my plants. I also could not get a response from them wondering what was going on here. I had to contact the Better Business Bureau in Washington, and with their help I was eventually able to get a refund. Today, I sent a new complaint to the BBB of Washington with a link to the complaints here on the Garden Watchdog for this company. I'm not sure if this will help, but I thought I would give it a shot. A few years after my ordeal with them, I had attended the Northwest Garden Show in Seattle. A company selling geraniums at the show, warned be about Killdeer and their practices, but I told them I was already familiar with their horrid customer service and seedy business practices. Good luck to you all trying to get your money back.
Negative ladyhawk7744
Lenoir, NC
June 12, 2008
I also ordered geraniums from Killdeer farms. The plants, when they finally arrived, were almost dead and white fly infested. I tried to contact the company and they never responded to my call. I will never buy plants from them again and I am glad I have this forum to voice my dissatisfaction with this company.
Neutral bummer18
Dubois, IN
May 18, 2008
There are some really sick people out there! All I was trying to do was get my grandma and mom a mother's day gift. I found killdeer farms and placed an order for 3 geraniums. My bill said that they were going to charge me $18.00. Yes, I did recieve my flowers,but about a week after that I was charged $37.06!! FOR 3 GERANIUMS!! Is there anyway I can do something about this?? I used paypal. I am in the process of sending a dispute through paypal. If anyone has any ideas or ways to fix this email me astrotman@verizon.net. thanks.
On May 19th, 2008, bummer18 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I finally recieved an email from the company giving me reasons why the shipping was so high. I chose the wrong zone during the check out so they shipped it 3 day. They reall need to tell you this before they withdraw your money! It is a very scary situation when it happens especialy with all of the money scams and identity theft going on these days, but anyway, the plants are beautiful and doing well.
Negative myrtlann
Mount Vernon, OH
April 18, 2008
I ordered 2 geraniums from them, for my daughter in laws grandfather,4.00 ea. reasonable, website said 6.00 shipping also reasonable. Plants arrived in fair condition. Went to pay my credit card and charges were 32.06. I thought they had made a mistake so I e mailed to ask them to fix it. Mr. Barton sent e Mail back saying shipping charges were 24.06 to my zip code. Gee, wish I.d known that before I ordered them,cause I never would have made the purchase.
My advice, ask about shipping, because what website says shipping charges are, will not be what you are charged.
Positive MarkArlington
Arlington, MA
February 4, 2008
I was chagrined to read your website an hour AFTER ordering from Killdeer Farms, and was prepared for the worst.

I am happy to report that I got the best. My order was immediately filled and shipped. The plants were meticulously wrapped, carefully packed, and labelled. All five are in fine shape and exactly what I had hoped for. They included a bonus plant as well. Based only on my own experience, I would recommend this company, as they seem to have gotten their act together.
Negative Planter56
Buffalo, NY
June 5, 2007
I also ordered from Killdeer Farms on May 25 and sent them money but to date I have not received any plants from them. I have sent e-mails with no responce. This does not bode well.
Negative jenica
Hope, ME (Zone 5a)
April 27, 2007
I am the owner of Hobbs Farm And Greenery and placed a wholesale order with them for over $1200.00.We did not get our order or money back.I contected the att.genarel state of Washington and they said there was nothing they could do.
I think with all the laws we have it is sad that someone like this can steal peoples money and get away with it.We could take them to small claims court but we are in Maine and we would have to go to Washigton state to do this.
Negative TYPIST
(Zone 5b)
November 11, 2006
On July 10, 2006, I ordered geranium plants from Killdeer Farms, received a confirmation but that was the last communication I had with them. As time went on, I E-mailed them, left phone messages and even tried faxing them. To this day, I have not heard a word nor did I receive any plants. May I ask if anything was ever found out about this company, if so what?
Negative cvpotter
Eastsound, WA
May 3, 2006
I placed an order with Killdeer last year, spring of 2005, paid by check which was cashed a week or so later. Have never had a confirmation or response. No plants ever delivered! Attempts to follow up and resolve have been met with no response to e:mails, calls or letters. They even declined to sign for a certified letter! A very sad and disappointing experience!!!
Negative eveotter
Edmonds, WA
April 10, 2005
My mother has been ripped off by this company; sent money (check was cashed), no plants, no contact. I am endeavouring to resolve things with them; if there is anything to report, I will post again. Meantime, I'd like anyone who has had dealings with this company to feel free to email me as more fuel for my case. Thanks very much.
On April 12th, 2005, eveotter added the following:

Killdeer Farms has contacted me and, in essence, now claims that it is all my mother's fault; that she did not fill out her order form properly, leaving it mostly blank (which she denies) and that she gave them the wrong phone number (which I do not believe). They also denied that she contacted them; I am now tracking down the phone records to prove otherwise. This is all highly suspicious, and insulting to boot. They claim they were intending to just ship some random geraniums in May. I am telling them the order information (again). I will keep you all posted, and I have advised that their company notice this site. If this resolves well I will consider changing my review to a Neutral one.
On May 25th, 2005, eveotter added the following:

Well, it's now 5/25 and not only have there been no plants, but Killdeer is ignoring my mother's calls and emails, and my emails as well. I am not surprised. This is clearly theft and fraud and I intend to notify not only the various BBB both state and internet, but also the local police; FBI I think also handles internet fraud so I may have to get them involved as well. I'll let you all know how it goes. Frankly it is not the money at this point, but that they have clearly ripped off so many people and gotten away with it.
Negative anneoak
Austin, TX
February 27, 2005
This company took my money & ignored every attempt I made at contacting them after it was clear they had missed the initial delivery date estimate they provided. I never got a thing from them. Killdeer Farms represents the single worst online shopping experience I've ever had.
Negative Hillbilly_Gran
Jasper, AR (Zone 7a)
October 27, 2003
I placed 2 orders with this company at the beginning of the year(2003). My credit card was charged, twice to the tune of about $130.00. When my plants didn't arrive I called and left messages and also e-mailed, more than once. I never received any response. This is a shame, as I had purchased plants from them in previous years and was quite satisfied. Obviously I will not be ordering from them again, and would certainly not recommend them to anyone.
Negative dawanne
July 9, 2003
In March of this year I placed an plant order to Killdeer Farms,(Kildeer Farms) Ridgefield, Wa. I paid ($54.00) with my credit card and on the form I marked the preferred shipping date as May 12th. When I received my April credit statement Killdeer Farms had charged my account on March 17th, (knowing the order was not to shipped until May 12th.) They never sent my copy of the charge transaction of March 17th for $ 54.00, which was my ONLY proof of payment for the plant order.(they KNEW exactly what they were doing!)
I waited an week after the expected delivery date, e-mailed the owner,Steve Barton inquirying about the plant order and he e-mailed and told me it would be shipped May 20th, I waited another week, NO plants ,called twice,got the answering machine ,left a message (you never get to talk to these people?)and never heard from them. I e-mailed Steve numerous times after that, never heard from him and on June 10th in the final e-mail I told Steve to cancel my order immediately and credit my charge account. My account was never credited and I never heard from them again, Killdeer Farms had MY money and the plants!

Since that time ,on June 26th I e-maled a complaint to the Better Business Bureau Of Wasington State and recieved an copy of an complaint file on Killdeer Farms some complaints seemed to be corrected (what complaints they were it didn't mention ) BUT,the complaints that were not addressed by Killdeer Farms concerned "DELIVERY ISSUES"( as of June 26th,2003).I was told they would look into the matter and it may take up to 30 days to recieve an response from Killdeer Farms and I should contact the B.B.B. after that time. I also notified my credit card company and explained the problem and they send me an form to fill out concerning reinbursement for my $54.00 and they too are looking into this matter for me.

I also want consumers to be AWARE of this company and it's fraudulent practices,if complaints have been on file with the B.B.B.of Washington you can be sure this is happening to other people. $54.00 may not seem like a larger amount of money but if Mr. Barton has done this to 100 people(or more) @ $54.00 ea. ,just think what a nice little scam he has going for himself? What makes it so disturbing is the fact, HE SEEMS TO BE GETTING AWAY WITH IT!!!!! I just wonder why a business like this can not be exposed and dealt with in the proper matter, you can be sure if it were you or I cheating the government or a major company we would be held accountable in a New York minute!
Negative lpjd
June 19, 2003
I have ordered twice from this company, and NEVER AGAIN. The first time, they assured us they would mail the package by a certain date. They did not and also wrote our address wrong. The pelargoniums died while UPS sorted out the address problem over a holiday weekend. When we complained, they tried to say we gave them the wrong address over the phone. Eventually they did reship, but substituted many varieties we ordered and two plants were mislabelled. Months later, in March 2003, I made the mistake of ordering again because of their extensive variety list. They promptly answered e-mail questions, until I placed the order and asked for an estimated shipping date. Then I never heard from them again, despite repeated phone calls and e-mails. It is now June, my credit card was charged in March, and I have lost all hope of getting my order or ever contacting them. BEWARE!!!