The scoop on 'Plant and Gnome'

Plant and Gnome

Plant and Gnome has 81 products listed in PlantScout.

Charleston, West Virginia 25361 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive dragonfly53
(Terri ) South Boston, VA (Zone 7a)
April 10, 2014
I recently placed an order for Tetradium danielli Evodia/Bee Bee tree, Poncirus Hardy Orange, Cercidipyllum japonica /Katsura Tree, Cotinus Obvatus American Smoke Tree and various willow cuttings from Palnt and Gnome. All of the plants were received in great condition and so fast, I haven't had time to plan where to put them. I've especially wanted a Katsura and American Smoke tree for so long, it was a nice surprise to find them at such good prices and excellent shipping costs.

I am a Beekeeper and have heard a lot about the attraction the Bee Bee trees have to bees when in bloom, so I was searching for a vendor with good ratings to purchase them from. Of course I will have to wait for a long time to see the blooms but better to start now than never! I'm hoping to give my bees a lot of availability of pollen and nectar during the Spring, Summer and Fall as possible and to keep the dearths as limited as I can.
Positive JudAnn
Tega Cay, SC (Zone 7b)
April 26, 2013
I ordered 11 small shrubs from Plant and Gnome in early March. Spent lots of time researching my selections but still had a couple of questions. I called Plant and Gnome and Chris answered. What a novel concept, when the owner of the company actually answers the phone and talks to you like an old friend, answers questions and gives you advice on planting conditions/requirements. I placed the order over the phone and followed up with an email & payment. My order arrived promptly and in great condition. Plants were very well packaged and still damp. It was obvious that they were packed with great care. My order was supposed to be small 1' - 2' plants but all were much bigger and very healthy. There were several small - well rooted - starts in the Spirea's, which was a pleasant surprise. Because of the weather, I had to pot them up and hold them for a couple of weeks. They are now all planted out and doing great, including the six babies. They have filled in and leafed out nicely and are healthy and happy in their new home. It has been such a pleasure dealing with a small family business instead of the big company with a glitzy web-site and pictures of plants that have been enhanced to sell. I highly recommend Plant and Gnome for their great and personal service, the quality of their plants and their packaging and delivery.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
April 25, 2013
Posted on April 18, 2013, updated April 25, 2013
Posted on March 17, 2012, updated April 18, 2013
Posted on May 10, 2006, updated March 17, 2012
I would like to recount an excellent experience with Chris, the gentlemanly proprietor of Plant & Gnome. In early January I placed an order for a hydrangea querquefolia ‘Snowflake’ with a very fine company that I found on Garden Watchdog. Unfortunately, on April 25 that company informed me that the Snowflake would not be delivered until fall. The purpose of the plant was to replace a big and obvious hole in my landscaping, and I had ordered a large one. I was forced to cancel the order and see what I could do to fill the gap. I immediately went onto GW searching for hydrangea providers and stumbled across Plant & Gnome. I telephoned at around the end of the business day (a terrible time to call), and a gentleman with a wonderful British accent answered – Chris (the Chief Executive Gnome). He took the time, so late in the day, to discuss my concerns and make very helpful suggestions. He only had one Snowflake left, and that was taken, but he had a rather large “Sikes Dwarf”. Since the plant next to it was a Snow Queen’ that has stayed small for several years, I thought that it would work. He charged me $12.00, plus a mere $8.00 shipping (I sent a check), called me 2 days ago to let me know that it had shipped, and today I received a 3 foot, wonderfully healthy plant, in beautiful condition and solidly taped in to the box. All in all a very pleasant experience that I hope to repeat ASAP!
On May 29th, 2006, DonnaMack added the following:

The Sikes Dwarf that I ordered has now formed flower buds. It made the transition to zone 5a beautifully. Also, I looked on the site again and found that the listed size for the plant I ordered was 12 to 18 inches - and the plant I received, as I noted earlier, was three feet tall. This may be unusual but it certainly is wonderful.
On May 17th, 2007, DonnaMack added the following:

I just received a beautiful hydrangea querquefolia 'Snowflake' from Chris. It's a beautiful specimen, two feet tall, with luscious healthy leaves, and a large rootball. Chris kindly sent me an e-mail on Tuesday that it should arrive in two days, and it did just that, and before noon! This gentleman truly understands quality and unsurpassed customer service.
On April 14th, 2008, DonnaMack added the following:

I received my excellently shipped order from Plant and Gnome this weekend. Again, a great plant, great communication, and great price. This company is a true gem.
On March 17th, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I just received three beautiful hydrangea Querquefolia Snow Queen from Chris for my new house. Packed with great care, these phenomenal specimens were originally three feet tall and had to be trimmed a bit to fit in the box. Even bareroot, they were heavy, and had some of the thickest limbs I have seen on a Snow Queen. Their robustness is obvious, and Chris is such a pleasure to work with, that once again I would like to enthusiastically recommend Plant and Gnome.
On April 18th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

Another great experience! I ordered a viburnum plicatum Pink Beauty from Chris a while back, and since it would be containerized, he told me that I could just let him know when I wanted it shipped. I dawdled a bit, so he contacted me, I requested delivery at his convenience, and one day after he confirme that he was shipping the order, it is at my door.

Three feet tall, leafed out, and gorgeously healthy, I could not resist ordering two more. Chris' beautiful plants changed my garden plans. I now finding myself making my plant selections from the charming plants that he has available.

It's no sacrifice!
On April 25th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

I ordered two more Viburnum plicatum Pink Beauty from Chris. They are almost six feet tall, and completely leafed out! Beautiful plants, and a beautiful bargain.
Positive ozzyozzie
Evergreen Park, IL
April 12, 2013
On Monday I placed an order for ten Spirea japonica, 'Shirobori'. On Thursday I received the plants! Flat $10 rate for S&H and very reasonably price plants that arrived in very good condition.

Cannot say enough good things about this company!
Positive Frank1965
Shreveport, LA
April 11, 2013
Can't pleased enough. Emailed about availabilty and received instructions on how to pay. I sent payment and got the order in two days! Simply amazing. That's great customer service! I wasn't expecting such quick turn around either. The flat shipping is an excellent idea and makes it easy to order even more which I will definetely do. You won't be sorry!
Positive ddd3
Iowa City, IA
March 23, 2013
There are only a few places I still order from -- Plant and Gnome is one of them. There are two reasons. Chris is always helpful and really works to make the customer happy. The second is the plants. If you are like me, you've bought plants from lots of mail order places only to see them die once in the ground. That doesn't happen when I order from P&G. Combine that with the prices, and you have what has to be one of the best mail order alternatives on the net.
Positive kg4gkh
Colbert, GA
March 12, 2013
Healthy plants at great prices and all you have to do is talk to Chris to know he is passionate about his plants. He packs them for shipping in a way that even Fed Ex can't destroy them. Thanks Chris.
Positive tablerocktina
Fountain Inn, SC (Zone 8a)
October 13, 2012
OUTSTANDING customer service! Healthy plants. I am very satisfied.
Positive 4bordercollies
SINNAMAHONING, PA
June 2, 2012
I ordered a variety of native plants from Plant and Gnome. They all arrived packaged well, healthy, and in good time.
I was extremely happy with this company, and I will definitely buy from them again.

PA
Positive triton373
Caldwell, OH (Zone 6a)
June 5, 2011
Very friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. Takes care of his customers. Items are packaged and shipped very well. Bought several plants and all are doing great. Will buy from again. Excellent experience. 100% recommended!!!
Positive PrairieFolly
Flint Hills, KS (Zone 5b)
April 23, 2011
"FEDGES" are all over the web in the UK, but where in the US can you get the materials?? At Plant and Gnome! It's a cross between a fence and a hedge.... a LIVING fence, trellis, privacy screen, sculpture, play house, or whatEVER! I discovered them on Friday, found Plant and Gnome, emailed them, and heard back within a few hours. I got a great price, knowledgeable advice, quick answers and they were shipped on Monday --by the next weekend I have a 5 foot willow wattle trellis planted--- or built? I ordered 12 --5 foot willow lengths and some cuttings of 3 kinds. Chris really went the extra mile for me... they were 6feet -- a full 12 inches in the ground and 5 feet of screening. And he sent a few experimental extras for fun. I plan to shape it into 3 gothic arches when I get some new growth on them. I'll be getting a great price on Hamamelis intermedia Diane from him too.
Positive mtnqueen
Ellijay, GA
March 29, 2011
March 2011

My first experience with Chris and it was more than positive. I ordered 3 ilex winterberry (2 female and 1 male) and a hydrangea PG. I could not believe the size of the box that arrived. The shrubs were HUGE. Chris is more than generous with his shrubs. I am very pleased and would order again.
Positive DandLinTx
Carrollton, TX
March 25, 2011
We placed orders for 3 trees and received them 4 days later in excellent condition. Shipping was fast and neatly packaged. I would recommend buying from plant and gnome.
Positive wittjc
Reisterstown, MD
May 24, 2010
I am extremely pleased with my order from Plant and Gnome, each plant is large and very healthy, I certainly got more than my money's worth. The owner Chris was always prompt and helpful when I had questions, and his selection is marvelous. I was having a hard time finding the Fantail Pussy Willow at all, and a Stewartia at a resonable price, Chris had both and I will enjoy them for years.

Wittjc
Positive moetakemountain
Pekin, IN
April 15, 2009
Amazing!! The plants were big, healthy, plenty of roots, and a great price! I will definitely order from them again.
Positive coyotehollow
Weldona, CO
March 6, 2009
OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE is all I can say here in a short manner. For a "backyard operation" to be this thorough and to have as much going on as the owners do with family and so forth on the domestic level, I am leveled at any comment less than 100% positive here. I wanted to purchase some plants for the mom of a child who had died of cancer, and instead was GIVEN plants, shipped at their expense, to give to the distraught mom. Not that this means any of the rest of us should expect free plants, now, but you can see the heart of the owner is in the right spot and that they go out of their way to please their customers. As far as any comments about "not having everything done on the website" and so forth, as one person noted, I surely wish please would not concentrate on those such things and then give a neutral rating to people like Plant and Gnome because it does take away from their rating--and it should be 200% positive as far as I am concerned. Great people with great character make up what this company is all about. Why do business elsewhere if you have this choice? Thanks again, Rev. MS
Positive PamelaQ
Navarre, FL (Zone 8b)
January 12, 2009
I just ordered a 'Magnolia macrophylla' from Chris. My tree just arrived from FedEx. It was in very good condition with a new leaf just budding out. The root ball was wrapped very well and was still damp. The tree made the journey in great condition. I would order again any day from 'Plant and Gnome'. This was a very, very positive experience.
Positive LuvMyDaisies
Stevensville, MI (Zone 6a)
May 2, 2008
SPECTACULAR!!! This is the best mail order plant experience I have ever had. Plants and customer service are top notch. Prices are very reasonable. Plants were well packed, healthy, and much larger and more abundant than expected. I would definately recommend this site. Kudos to P&G! Keep up the good work. CC
Positive tinker88
Clinton, CT
March 28, 2008
I ordered twice from Chris last Spring and am ordering again for this season. He is knowledgeable and friendly and responds to all e-mails very quickly. All of the plants arrived bigger than expected and ready to be put into the ground. I have a few (out of over 45 plants!) that are struggling a bit, and Chris unhesitatingly offered a refund (I haven't given up on them quite yet!). I would highly recommend this company for anyone needing plants; the prices cannot be beat, and the customer service is phenomenal!
Positive Wallknight
Rimersburg, PA
March 19, 2008
Wow! Ordered Saturday, he told me he'd ship Monday. Tuesday at 2pm, the package arrived! Then I looked inside. I dont know if they always do this or if I ordered at just the right time, but there were significant "extras" in the box. Probably twice as much as I actually paid for. Chris is also great at communicating. I only wish they sold lots more stuff, like seeds! You will not be disappointed with Plant and Gnome.
Positive johnsongarden
Chesterfield, MO
November 17, 2007
Have tried to find fan-tail willow (Salix sachalinensis 'Sekka') plants for a long, long time! Finally found them through the internet at Plants and Gnome. Even better, I found a great plant source as well. The plants were shipped very quickly--they were large and in excellent condition--the communication regarding my order was excellent--and the prices were fantastic! A real value! I could not be more pleased. I can hardly wait until spring to see what all is available from this source. I will definitely be back and I would highly recommend them to one and all!!!!!!!!!!!
Positive tkwoodard
Travelers Rest, SC
October 22, 2007
I searched for hours for a certain combination of shrubs. I'm on a limited budget, so price was definitely an issue. I finally called Chris at Plant & Gnome and received a call back from a most polite and helpful gentleman. He treated me like a valued customer, which is fairly unusual these days. PLUS he had all the shrubs I needed at a wonderful price! I know that this nursery will grow and do well. I only hope they can keep some measure of their customer service. I definitely recommend them.
Positive BenGurnee
Gurnee, IL (Zone 5b)
June 26, 2007
I ordered from Plant and Gnome once last summer and again this summer. I was very pleased both times. The plants were larger than I expected and healthy both times. The price of the plants and shipping is less expensive than any other mail order nursery I've found. Chris is a wealth of information and is quite willing to answer your questions.
On May 11th, 2009, BenGurnee added the following:

I received a large order and was again very satisfied. The plants are healthy, very large, and quite inexpensive compared to other nurseries. Communication was reliable and accurate. Highly recommended.
Positive danimschwartz
Richmond, VA (Zone 7a)
June 8, 2007
This website is wonderful! The plants that I purchased were by far cheaper than they would have been at another website or at a nursery, Chris regularly updated me regarding my order's status, and I received the plants within three days of ordering.
Positive vickysgarden
Glenview, IL
April 19, 2007
I want to add my own glowing recommendation of this company and its service. The personalized service is wonderful! I expected to receive a small cutting of Sikes Dwarf, but I received a very large plant with a very good sized root ball, all very well packaged. Chris, who was the one working with me through emails, made sure the weather was right before mailing it off. I am so thrilled to receive a plant of this size at such an excellent price...I highly recommend this nursery!
Positive revolutionaryma
Granada Hills, CA
March 15, 2007
Very good experience. I ordered 2 magnolia leonard messel, 2 kerrias and 1 fragrant abelia. Chris was very helpful, answering my many questions by email before I made a final decision on my order. As soon as I posted the payment, he shipped the plants and got them 2 days later. The plants were all at least 2 years old, big and had good roots and very well packed so they held up very well in transit. Only a week later after I planted them, they are all shooting up already! I definitely recommend them. I saved a lot of money by ordering these trees from him rather than getting them from local nurseries.
Positive ranram
Clarks Summit, PA
June 28, 2006
I am very pleased with all aspects of my transaction. I ordered
two trees by e-mail, got a quick response with shipping information,
and received them promptly. They came packed surprisingly well,
healthy with a strong root system, and with no damage. I planted
them two weeks ago and I am very happy with the results. I anticipate
ordering again from this company and would not hesitate to
recommend it to anyone.
Positive newthumb
Bristol, WI (Zone 5a)
May 25, 2006
This year I needed lots of trees and shrubs (I'm usually ordering herbacious perennials), so I dealt with a lot of companies for the first time. I found this site by searching for oakleaf hydrangeas and bottlebrush buckeyes. Placing the order went smoothly, and Chris is wonderful about prompt emails - I wish other companies were as good! He emailed me after my order to tell me that a few of the plants were a little smaller than he'd like, so he was reducing the price. His modem was down in the spring for a couple of days, so he called everyone to tell them that their orders would ship that week. The plants arrived (in 2 shipments, with a phone call or email before each one), and were exceeding well packaged (it must have taken me 2 hours to get the plants out of their boxes). The reduced-price plants were actually a nice size, and I got a couple of extras to boot! They are shipped in plastic bags with no pots, and I would have appreciated labels, since some of the things I ordered I'd never actually seen before. However, CT_Ohio said that she'd gotten labels with hers, so maybe mine were just forgotten. The flat rate shipping you can't beat, and the customer service was wonderful. Overall a very positive experience, and I will definitely order again.
Positive jerseyridgearts
Prophetstown, IL (Zone 5a)
May 11, 2006
I had an excellent first experience with this company. Very good communication and easy payment system (Paypal). Plants (3 Seven Son Flower trees) arrived on schedule and extremely well packaged in recycled materials. Plants are as described in company's on-line catalog and arrived with a suprisingly generous moist root ball. I plan to order from Plant and Gnome again.
Positive saanansandy
Sue, RI (Zone 6a)
May 11, 2006
I mailed in an order for 34 Thuja plicataxstandish giant and in less than 2 weeks of mailing my check I received my trees! I am very pleased with this company and the trees are healthy with good roots and beautiful foliage. The communication is excellent-all my questions were answered quickly and Chris even called me to let me know when my trees were shipped and when to expect them. He gave me very valuable information on how to plant and care for them. The trees came when Chris said they would and they were very well packaged, there were even extras in case any were damaged during shipping but all came through without a mark! The prices of the trees and the flat rate shipping of $8 can't be beat! I will be ordering from them again! 5 stars*****
On June 9th, 2006, saanansandy added the following:

I had such a good experience ordering from Plant and Gnome that I ordered some more of the Thuja "Green Giant" and also a lilac, 'Evangeline'. The communication was great(I had questions on different kinds of lilacs and Chris promptly answered them) and I received my trees as expected. The trees were in excellent condition, great root stock, nice full trees. Packing was excellent. 2 thumbs up, Chris!!
Positive willis_mckenna
Lombard, IL (Zone 5b)
April 19, 2006
Plants were larger than expected and in great shape. Great customer service and awesome shipping. Will definetely buy from again.
Positive CT_Ohio
Millfield, OH (Zone 6a)
April 9, 2006
As a first time orderer, I was unsure of what to expect, especially with their lower prices and generous shipping policy. WOW! I am greatly impressed by the quality and size of the plants I just received. I encouraged a fellow plantaholic to try them and her reaction was the same.
Positive plympton
Plympton, MA
March 26, 2006
Great value here---generously sized plants, affordably priced. Shipping was cheap, packaging was basic but adequate and communications were excellent. I hope you have as good an experience as I did.
Positive Davidsan
Springfield, IL (Zone 6a)
September 22, 2005
This is a good company...replies to emails in an expediant manner unlike some other companies using the internet. The products I ordered shipped as of promised date and arrived in great shape . My dawn redwood and two japanese shrub roses were of top quality large and healthy... Of course they don't have everything listed on their site ( as one person complained about) ...that would be a miracle since they'd have to update your site daily ...that's what email is for, to see if it's available... I WOULD like to see their web site upgraded with photos of items and better descriptions for us novices...but overall I would highly recomend this site to anyone looking for products they carry... David Myers
Positive brassavola
Stevensville, MI
August 5, 2005
Ordered 5 plants this spring: 3, which were taped together at one end of the box arrived in perfect shape, however the other 2 were broken just above the bagged root ball. My email was immediately responded to with a shipping date for replacements. They also suggested that I plant the root balls anyway and I'm pleased to report that tiny new leaves have sprouted! I would definitely consider ordering from Plant and Gnome again.
Positive rmaxharrj
Lincoln, MA
June 7, 2005
The plants I ordered from Plant & Gnome are thriving and happy. They were very large for the price. I love the flat rate shipping and will be back to order a lot more from this small, family-run nursery. Don't expect the packaging to be super-professional (lots of tape and grocery sacks); just put your plants in the ground, and watch them take off.
Positive Hogwaump
Rosedale, WV (Zone 7b)
May 28, 2005
Definitely one of the best places to buy. The flat-rate shipping is inexpensive, the plants are excellent, and the selection is extensive. Highly recommended.
Positive Madisonkathy
Sun Prairie, WI (Zone 4b)
May 12, 2005
Just received 4 annabelle hydrangea that I ordered. I'm amazed. Their site describes them as "12-18"", and these must be 4 feet tall. I expected bare root sticks and these are leafing out and ready to drop into a hole. I'll have to dig bigger holes than I expected.

Terrific prices, great communication. I'll definately order from them again.
Neutral lego_brickster
Lawrenceville, PA (Zone 5b)
May 2, 2005
Very friendly people, however the on-line experience leaves something to be desired.
I just placed an order, only to get an email back indicating their inventory is out of date.

I ordered seven plants; three varieties. One type was no longer available, one was only available as a smaller size and the third only as a larger size.
I chose not to make the order - I look forward to making one when they actually have all the plants that are listed on their website.

I have no direct knowledge yet of plant health, shipping practices, etc.
I only give a Neutral rating because they don't have what is currently listed on their website.
Positive lisannpetrini
somers, CT (Zone 5b)
April 6, 2005
very good company. excellent communication, excellent prices and unusual selction of trees and shrubs. check out the site and be confident about ordering from them.