The scoop on 'Direct Source Hostas'

Direct Source Hostas

2773 Granite Court
Prairie Grove, Illinois 60012 (United States)

Editor's Comment:
Closed Per a note from a reader, Direct Source Hostas is closed for this year and possibly next year.

Posted on the vendor's website as of July 2010:

"Important Notice: We are SOLD OUT and now closed for the 2010 season. "

Company Comment, posted on April 14, 2009:
Direct Source Hostas

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Noelle216
Bayside, NY (Zone 7a)
July 13, 2010
Direct Source Hostas is my favorite hosta supplier. Their plants are big, strong, healthy, and in large pots. Unlike some other suppliers' plants, all 40+ of my DSH hostas are alive and thriving. Jerry and Grace ship promptly and they protect each plant with a bamboo support and brown kraft paper (no wasteful, annoying styrofoam peanuts!) I also appreciate the very reasonable flat-rate shipping cost. DSH has an excellent plant selection, including some rare varieties, and the prices are fair. Best of luck in the new business--I really hope you eventually return to selling hostas!
Positive frowergirl
Fenton, MO
July 10, 2010
Have ordered from DSH for several years. My plants arrive happy and larger than expected for mail order. The plants aren't aware they were transplanted. I have NEVER been disappointed in Direct Source!! Suggest you order very early for the more unusual Hostas.
Positive hectorlouie
Northborough, MA
July 9, 2010
I have ordered a few times and had WONDERFUL experiences each time. When my first order arrived, I couldn't believe what great shape all the plants were in...so was not fearful of ordering again. I would advise anyone to order from Direct Source Hosta. Thanks, Jerry, for a nicely packed order.
Positive garden78
Tulsa, OK
July 9, 2010
I have ordered hostas with this company for three or four years and have been pleased with their hostas. They are always very well packed and in good condition when they arrive. I live in Oklahoma and there are not many varieties available locally. At first I was concerned that their hostas were not going to be able to adapt to the heat here but almost all of them have done extremely well. A few of the pale yellow ones do not seem as hardy but over all I give them excellent marks!
Positive jakki
Middletown, CT
July 8, 2010
I have ordered from Direct Source Hostas for four years now, and every time I am thrilled by the quality, size etc of the hostas I receive. I am also happy with the variety they offer. DSH is one of three mail order hosta sources I buy from - I am very happy with their products and believe they are extremely careful about Hosta Virus X. I am comfortable buying from them.
Positive jovitam
Greenwood, IN
July 7, 2010
I started a new garden/landscaping project this year and bought 22 hostas...most all of them from Direct Source Hostas. It was my first purchase from them. After I received my first order I went back and purchased more because I was SO pleased with the plants. I now plan to make them my one and only source.
The plants are beautiful and healthy, very good size...these are most definitely not your "catalog" hostas!! And the packing - could not be any better.
Most of the hostas have flowered this month and two purchased late in the (planting) season, that had been cut back prior to shipment, have grown new leaves and look perfect.
I recommend Direct Source Hostas to all of my friends and family with complete confidence that they will be equally as happy I have been.
Positive textilis
Saint Paul, MN (Zone 4a)
Posted on May 2, 2008, updated July 7, 2010
My hostas came yesterday. They were packaged very securely and arrived in excellent condition. Each hosta has multiple eyes and look very healthy, they are also larger than other hostas I've ordered from other companies. I'd recommend this company!
Now if it would only get nice enough to garden! We're suppose to get snow this weekend!
On July 7th, 2010, textilis added the following:

Year after year, product from Jerry at Direst source Hosta are the best. Hostas are healthy, multiple eyes, good root structure and a huge variety. My gardens now have over 100 varieties from them.
Shippping is fast and on time, packaged carefully (I LOVE that there are no packing peanuts!). This is the only on-line service I use for hosta.
Positive songbirdmo
Branson, MO
July 7, 2010
I ordered three hostas during their spring clearance sale in May, 2010. All three hostas came in perfect shape, timely delivery, and very well packaged.
So far all three are doing well and I would definitely recommend purchasing from Direct Source Hostas.
Positive lpetrilli
Highland Mills, NY
July 7, 2010
Great plants - healthy, good size
Positive littlesweettart
Rochester, MN
July 7, 2010
I've ordered from DSH for years & have never had a bad order. The plants always arrived in wonderful condition & have thrived when put in the ground. I'm just sorry to lose them as a source for all of my hosta. I wish Jerry well in his new venture.
L. Mash, Rochester, MN
Positive Meandy
Tipton, IN (Zone 5a)
July 7, 2010
The hostas I ordered arrived quickly and were in great condition! I well definitely order from them again.
Positive camryy
Mattoon, IL
Posted on May 17, 2008, updated July 7, 2010
I have placed 2 orders this year and have been very pleased with the size and the quality of the hostas that I have received. In the past I have ordered bare root plants from other companies and have not liked them. It is really nice to have a company that ships "potted" nice size plants. I plan to order again.. Thank you
On July 7th, 2010, camryy added the following:

I have order from DSH for 3 years now and have always been pleased with each and every plant that I have received.
Positive Hostafarmer40
Zeeland, MI
Posted on May 20, 2008, updated July 7, 2010
I have been ordering hosta from this company for about five years and have been extremely satisfied. A repeat customer. This year the hosta were outstanding! The root system on the hosta I received left no doubt that the plants were healthy and well taken care of.
On May 15th, 2009, Hostafarmer40 added the following:

The hosta I ordered from Jerry and Grace at Direct Source Hosta this year are just outstanding. The plants arrived in perfect condition and were large cuttings. My hosta from last year are up and have come through the winter with no problems. They already have almost doubled in size. I have been ordering from Direct Source for at least 5 years and have been more than satisfied. Thank you for the free hosta with my order. I anticipate the same service and quality will continue as long as they are in business.
On July 7th, 2010, Hostafarmer40 added the following:

I have ordered hosta from Jerry for many years and have received outstanding plants. I love the sales at the end of the season and look forward to the hosta with the leaves cut off. I already know what they look like for the next year and plant them accordingly. He only sells hosta with good strong root systems so I never have to worry that they will not come back the next year. The packaging is outstanding. Given the opportunity I would recommend his hosta, especially in the mail order industry. Great plants, great company, excellent service, can't ask for anything better. Keep up the good work!
Positive Milfordrose
Milford, MI
July 7, 2010
Dealing with Direct Source Hostas has always been a good experience. We've ordered many hosta over the years and always been pleased with the plants, packaging and service. Rose K.
Positive rlr1398
Clive, IA
Posted on February 21, 2008, updated July 7, 2010
I have purchased hostas from Direct Source Hostas for 2 years now. When I had a need for advise on creating a hosta garden with a specific theme, Jerry was very helpful and prompt in writing me back with suggestions.

Direct Source Hosta is perhaps one of the best mail-order experiences I've had in gardening ever!
On July 7th, 2010, rlr1398 added the following:

I have always had good results in ordering from DirectSourceHostas. The plants were shipped promptly, were in good condition and the shipping costs were low.
Positive garden140
Hightstown, NJ (Zone 6b)
July 7, 2010
I recently ordered some hostas and they all came in excellent condition. They were the healthiest plants I've ever gotten through the mail. I will buy hostas from them in the future.
Positive nlvwroses
Dillon, MT
May 3, 2010
I received my first order from Direct Source Hostas last week. What beautiful healthy plants I received! The day after I received my first order I sent in another order for four more hostas. I can't wait to see how they do in my garden! Thank you so much!
Positive nanajoanb
Chapel Hill, NC
April 27, 2010
Posted on April 16, 2009, updated April 27, 2010
Just received my Hosta order yesterday. What a lovely start to what ,I hope, will be an ongoing relationship. My hostas are "just waking up", as Jerry so nicely put it, and I am very impressed.
Will certainly order more for this source.
On April 27th, 2010, nanajoanb added the following:

Received my new 2010 order from Jerry and I am very impressed , again, with the quality of the plants this company ships. My lovely "secret shade garden"( secret from the deer) is coming along fabulously. Jerry, keep up the good work- I'll be back again.
Positive dfulton
Spokane, WA
April 9, 2010
I recently placed an order for three hosta, On Stage and two "surprise" hosta of their choosing. Boy was I surprised, pleasantly, not only did I receive large, healthy plants, but one of my "surprise" hosta was one I had been wanting for a couple of years. I just had never ordered it before because it was a little more on the spendy side. Plus, they sent a bonus plant that was equally as large and healthy. I'm sure I will be ordering from them again, and again, and......
Positive negardenfan
Narrowsburg, NY
June 27, 2009
Have ordered three times this season so far. Email specials have been very tempting with great combination of hostas offered. Plants are always healthy and thrive for me. Communications great. Love this company!
Positive rpypiak
Crosswicks, NJ
June 23, 2009
I am always pleased with the variety and quality of hostas received from Direct Source Hosta. Top quality plants, super packaging, and just plain ole nice people to do business with. You can't go wrong doing business with them. I'll be a customer till I run out of room!
Positive SarahW
Grantham, NH
June 20, 2009
Good sized plants that shipped about a week later than expected (but not promised). Great, quick response to questions in the off season, but it took about 3-4days once they started shipping. The quality of the plants was good so overall it was a positive experience although I've had better.
Positive n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN (Zone 7a)
June 4, 2009
I just rec'd my first order from Direct Source Hostas. They were running a special, buy $100 and get 1 "named" bonus and 2 "special new bonuses". Never orderining from them before, didn't really know what to expect. I rec'd my order, probably within 1 week. Unbelievable packaging... unbelievable plants... What more would you ask for ? Oh yeah - great bonus plants too ! This was a box of 11 hostas, some with more than 1 eye. Not a single one was wilted or crushed. How do you do that ? Hats off to them !! Highly recommend them to anyone that just wants good hostas !
Positive CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA (Zone 7a)
May 23, 2009
I received my first order of 7 hosta plants from Direct Source Hostas today, exactly when I had requested them to be delivered. They are large, healthy plants and they arrived in great condition. Three of them were "on special" and a very good deal. (The company sends out frequent e-mails about specials.) I ordered from Jerry because the company was ranked in the Top Thirty on-line companies, and I was not disappointed.
Negative inoher
Littleton, CO
May 21, 2009
Having ordered through Direct Hosta in the past I was very pleased with the ease of ordering and the quality of plants.
This year I was sorely disappointed. After ordering I did not know when my plants would ship. I had to ask when. The order had the incorrect zip code and I had to track it down and pick it up from FEDEX. The plants were in great shape but the order was incomplete due to crop failure. Rather than letting me know before the plants shipped (so I might replace my choices with others) I was sent a check for the missing plants.
Positive maegreen
Lebanon, TN
May 16, 2009
Beautiful good sized hostas, great packaging and rapid fire shipping. I'll be returning. Many thanks.
Positive amr0719
North Webster, IN (Zone 5b)
May 14, 2009
Purchased nine hostas from Direct Source Hostas this spring. The plants were wonderfully packed and large, multi eyed plants. They are one of my favorite on line suppliers for hostas. They often have great specials and their prices are competitive.
Positive MsJo
Madison, WI
May 13, 2009
This is my first order from Direct Source Hostas and I am very impressed. I love the idea of shipping in pots, no more rootballs or tc's for me! The plants are beautiful specimens, great prices and exciting incentives on purchases, i.e. free hosta, reduced or free shipping. Very pleasant to do business with and plan on doing more in the future!
Ms Jo
Positive avianut
Omaha, NE (Zone 5a)
May 13, 2009
I ordered hostas from Direct Source, and a competitor who sold hostas at a similar price. Direct source hostas were VERY impressive in comparison! They will be my hosta source in the future!
Positive AZGardener2009
Tucson, AZ
May 13, 2009
I received my first order from Direct Source on April 30th. I was very pleased and impressed with the hostas I received. I quickly repotted them. I live in Tucson, AZ and it is HOT (4 days of 100 degrees + so far), so I was worried that the plants might not do well. Plan on planting them in the fall. This was an impulse purchase that I decided on after last year's hostas just took off! Deep watering after sundown, SHADING them and they look beautiful! They already have noticeable growth! Appreciated their follow up.
Positive GardenTennessee
Columbia, TN
May 13, 2009
Absolutely beautiful plants! ALL plants from three orders over two years are thriving and exceeding expectations. Fed-Ex made a delivery error with one order and Direct Source Hostas corrected it within 24 hours! Amazing service, attention to detail and healthy plants; I couldn't be more pleased!
Positive east10aclady
Knoxville, TN
May 13, 2009
I have ordered plants from Jerry at Direct Source for a couple of years now and have never been anything less than thrilled when my plants arrived. Unlike another website I ordered from where I received bare root plants that will take forever to take hold. My direct source hostas look great the minute i plant them and they are thriving. As I expand my gardens, I'll continue to order from Jerry and fill my shady gardens with amazing hostas !
Positive kaatan
Pekin, IL
May 13, 2009
This year's shipment was healthy, large and expertly packed and taking off in the ground--last year's shipment is WOW - plants are easily quadruple in size and well established!!
Always a pleasure doing business!!
Positive Nyer
Clifton Park, NY
May 13, 2009
First time purchase from Direct Source Hostas. My order arrived in great condition without any evidence of wilt or mishandling. The hostas are beginning to "take hold" in my garden and are showing signs of what they will surely be when established....stunning, and vigorous. Transplanting into the garden from pots was a snap. Very pleased with my purchase and will order again from this company.
Positive AngryRedHead
Austin, TX (Zone 8b)
April 24, 2009
I ordered my hostas back in Jan/Feb and added to that order in March. My order arrived about a week ago. Living in TX, I was very worried about the time of shipment because it's late in the season for us to be planting hostas, so I was VERY glad about them being shipped in pots. All of the hostas look great with a strong root system. They were well packaged and didn't look like they had suffered during transit. They are growing much quicker than I expected, and already the leaves are getting bigger. I ordered from them because of the good reviews here and the HUGE selection of hostas. I am very glad I ordered so early in the season since a few of the ones I ordered were gone in March. The process was simple, and the website was well organized.
Neutral MorsisX
Lockport, IL (Zone 5b)
November 21, 2008
Unfortunately I have to digress from the praise heaped on this company. Albeit the online order process is quick and painless and the communication was responsive, overall the quality of the experience I found was very average.

As I am local to them I inquired if I could stop by to pick up the plants (to save shipping) to which they said "no", oh well. The stock that arrived (quickly) were the same anemic plants that I am all too used to receiving from online ordering. Within a month of planting (placed in ground at the same time as other stock from competing companies) the Direct source Hostas all gave up the ghost. Since they have no guarantee my recourse will be to reorder from elsewhere.

I have about 50 Hostas around my home so I am familiar with their care, and other Hosta in the same area are doing well, so this came as a disappointment after reading all the praise and the communication I had with the owner.

So while not a negative review, I cannot possibly justify a positive one either.
Positive Overwhelmed
North Olmsted, OH
July 1, 2008
First time ordering from this company. I placed the order on a Sunday and expected their arrival in the second week following (per their shipping information). What a pleasant surprise when FedEx pulled up on the second day after placing the order (Tuesday). I was greatly impressed with the care of the packaging and the size and condition of the plants. Will definitely order again.
Positive QuervaLou
Huntington Station, NY
June 6, 2008
Jerry and the Direct Source People are fabulous! I learned of them because of Dave' Garden Top 30 List. When I read these hosta are wintered over, in pots, in ChicagoLand, I figured these have to be the toughest hostas on earth. All the plants I ordered last year flourished and bloomed! They virtually jumped out of the ground this spring. I have since ordered quite a few more. Jerry's communications are prompt and helpful when I have had questions. They tell you when your order has been sent out. The plants are amazing!
You'll be hard pressed to find a better company to deal with for hosta. (If you can manage to be patient, Jerry makes some great offers in mid-Spring at substantial savings. I can't be patient, I just have to order in February!!)
Positive LollyChops
Bedford, TX
June 4, 2008
I have ordered from this company twice now. I had never ordered plants online before so I was really worried. When I got my first order I was completely blown away at how nice the plants were and how big and healthy they were. They were very well packaged too. I have had the first batch in the garden for some time now and they are doing fantastic! So I ordered another batch (15 more plants) and I just got them today. All were labeled, healthy and nicely sized. I could not be more thrilled with this company. I highly recommend them.
Positive Jazzguy
June 1, 2008
My shopping experience at Direct Source Hostas was first rate. We were impressed by their company from the moment our order was placed until delivery at our door. The exceptional care they took to individually wrap and package each plant shows they really care about delivering the highest quality product possible to the customer. If you are looking for best quality plants and a pleasant shopping experience this is the place to shop.