The scoop on 'Forestfarm'

Forestfarm

Forestfarm has 4026 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Forestfarm is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

Williams, Oregon 97544 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $5

Company Comment, posted on May 1, 2013:
Our street address is:
14643 Watergap Road
Williams, OR 97544

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral treebird101
Bedford, IA
September 27, 2014
Well I ordered 2 trees this spring. I understand this company has a lot to offer and the trees are true to type. I am leaving only neutral feedback because the shipping has got to be the most outrageous of anywhere I've ever ordered trees from. I find that if you absolutely cannot live with out a tree variety Forrest Farm will more than likely have it but you will get butchered on shipping costs. My intent is not to discredit a legit company but to let consumers know that based on my opinion Forrest Farm shipping is too high. I understand the company may offer some excuse or rebuttal based on packaging and buy more save more and so on but even with their rates it is still very high. Most consumers enjoy what Forrest Farm has to offer as do I But I'm sure those who left positive comments would agree they paid a lot to have their plants and trees shipped to them. Lower shipping costs or offer a "buy so much and shipping is free" and this would truly be a five star company.
Positive Hamburglar
Solon, OH (Zone 5b)
August 5, 2014
Have ordered a bunch of trees over the last the last three years from Forestfarm and other mail-order nurseries as I've re-plant my cleared yard. Forestfarm really stands out for their selection. They carry a ton of varieties and they support a lot of newer cultivars that are hard to find. So it's a good place to order from en masse. Their customer service is also good. I have had two plants not make it due to the crazy winter last year and FF did not hesitate to replace them.

I have had a few plants arrive not looking so hot, but have learned not to fret over that. Received 5' tall baldcypress and swamp white oak plants last year that looked like twigs. However, second year, they absolutely popped. The oak could be the most vigorous growing tree I have ever planted. So looks can be deceiving when it comes to mail order plants and patience can pay off.

The one thing that eastern customers need to consider is the transit time, though. It takes a good 3 days for UPS Ground just to get off the west coast and start moving eastward. In Cleveland, I've experienced transit times in the 7-8 day range. So if you are ordering small plants or plants that are somewhat fragile, you may want to buck up and do the air shipping.

Positive peonyshima
Herndon, VA
July 31, 2014
Have been buying from them for many years, had more successful plants than from any nursery, including local ones. They have an amazing selection. Larger plants can have a very high shipping cost but is sometimes worth it. Plants are well packaged for shipping. They allow you to choose the arrival date and they are always spot on. They only ship during appropriate times of the year.
Positive ehearn58
Houston, TX
July 5, 2014
Posted on November 18, 2011, updated July 5, 2014
Absolutely wonderful experience! Had first ordered a pygmy Japanese Maple. Changed my mind on the first day and decided to order another since both would be Christmas gifts. Got an email from the owner that he would check the plants and if he had two that he would ship them. The next day there was a phone message about the plant--they had only one and they felt it was not the quality they would agree to ship so they suggested another pygmy maple. I researched it on the internet and it was prettier than the original plant that was ordered. I returned their call and agreed to accept the substitute maples. That was on Monday evening (I reside in Houston--FF is in Oregon). The plants arrived Friday afternoon. The packaging is the best I've seen and both maples are in excellent condition--full of colorful leaves, beautifully shaped, and expertly packed. I will remember them again for future orders.
On July 5th, 2014, ehearn58 added the following:

Forest Farm has always delivered incredibly healthy plants. Recently placed an order to populate my formerly treeless lots. The Carolina Sapphire is absolutely beautiful...much bigger than expected...and the seedless Sweetgum is in fine condition. I am fully confident that when I order a plant from them it will be better than expected, arrive expertly packaged and in great shape. I will absolutely order from them again.
Positive missjenniferd1
Knoxville, TN
June 14, 2014
Posted on June 5, 2014, updated June 14, 2014
I feel that I got healthy plants. I would shop here again. You can get a good price on a specific plant that you are looking for, specific cultivar you are looking for. My only drawback is that these are baby plants. I had not ever purchased online plants before, and I suppose with the pricing and ordering direct, that I would be getting a plant similar to the size of what I would see in home depot or something, and that is not the case. I was very disappointed at first because of the size of the plants because I was not expecting it. However, once I tried to find locally what I was looking for, no one had what I wanted, not home depot/lowes/kmart, or even local nurseries, and so I actually went back and placed another order for some more plants. Just be prepared to wait a year to have what you would normally buy in the store. All in all, I think it's worth it. I wanted specific things and I didn't have to go from here to there and everywhere. I love shopping from the convenience of my home and having it sent directly to me. The plants are very healthy after all, it's just that I will have to "nurse" them for a year. I fully understand now why plant places are called nurseries (i never quite got that until now!). And I think that I will be very glad to have the plants I wanted, rather than to take some consolation plant instead, since locally did not have (nor could they order) what I wanted. I thought that was strange. But in that case, when I want a particular thing, I would not hesitate at all to order again from forest farm.
On June 14th, 2014, missjenniferd1 added the following:

I received my 2nd order, and was happier with this order than I was with the first. I also must say, that after placing a 2nd order with lazy s's, that I far prefer forest farm's plants. the roots, the size, the health of the plants from forest farm's exceed lazy s's. I still placed a larger order with lazy s's because their prices on a few plants were cheaper. But if the price for each plant was the same or within $1, I would order from forest farm instead.
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 17, 2014
I ordered a Hydrangea and some smaller plants - all arrived healthy and are thriving in the garden.
They warn you that it is expensive to do long distance shipping for small orders so do pay attention to that.
Positive oscarkat01
Rochester, NY (Zone 6a)
May 4, 2014
I've purchased from Forestfarm for various plants and have always had a great experience from them. They carefully pack items so that They arrive in great shape all the way across the country.

I've found their plant information to be enjoyable and very helpful. They are also quite careful in their growing zone rating which I appreciate as I've run into some rather dubious zone claims on a few plants from some nurseries other than Forestfarm. I can trust their zone ratings.

Positive Garden56
Jamestown, NY (Zone 5a)
April 30, 2014
I ordered for a relative in another state. I requested a specific delivery date and the company delivered as requested. My mother said the plants were the best plants she had ever received. The packaging was superior.
Positive herbman49
New York, NY
April 24, 2014
I ordered a contorted mulberry last year and it is just now leafing out after a hard winter. It grew robustly last year and looks to repeat the same performance this year. It was so securely packaged I had a hard time breaking down the box. Healthy, big, vigorous specimen.
Positive iykim
Hillsborough, CA (Zone 10a)
April 21, 2014
Posted on May 16, 2011, updated April 21, 2014
I ordered several different cultivars of Acer Palmatum, Magnolia, Helleborus, and Abuitillon, all in tubes. They shipped super fast, and I was impressed by how carefully they packaged the plants so that no leaf or branches were bent or torn off. You could shake the box upside down and still, nothing would fall out of place, not even soil. The plants were quite healthy. For plants in tubes, I was expecting something tiny, but to my pleasant surprise they were as big as #1 pot plants. Helleborus is the healthiest and biggest of all mail-ordered (Internet) Helleborus as I ordered them from other sites as well. I was so pleased, I made a second purchase, and that was just as good as the first one. I am definitely going to order from them in the future.
On April 21st, 2014, iykim added the following:

I had several more orders from ForestFarm. Again, they are reliable, the plants are in great condition, the packaging was emmaculate, and they arrived quickly. I noticed that one plant did not leaf out after the dormancy. I contacted ForestFarm, and Marla pleasantly agreed to send me a replacement. I am eagerly awaiting the shipment of the replacement plant. ForestFarm is my "go-to" online nursery. If they don't carry what I need, then I go somewhere else.
Positive LindaDoc
Philadelphia, PA
April 20, 2014
I ordered a Beach Plum (Prunus maritima) from ForestFarm, and although it took seven days for the package to arrive at my home in Philadelphia, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box to find it was awash in white blossoms and packed so well that it suffered no damage whatsoever! This was my second order from ForestFarm and I highly recommend them and will be ordering again in the future.
Positive DaisyPlantLady
Reno, NV
April 10, 2014
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this place. Their plants are wonderful. Always at the top end of their measurements and always healthy, happy, perky! I have ordered on three occasions and I can't wait to order again. My personal favorites are Japanese Maples but recently I ordered a Bristle cone pine and dwarf Japanese black pine. Gorgeous!
Positive robhopson
Mobile City, TX
April 4, 2014
I can't say enough good things about this company! They send large,quality plants that grow extremely well. I've ordered from many online nurseries and have been disappointed most of the time, but ForestFarm has kept me very happy with their variety and high-quality plants. I will be ordering more.
Positive Plantsandme
Canada de los Alamos, NM
January 15, 2014
Posted on January 12, 2014, updated January 15, 2014
I have purchased plants from Forestfarms for a number of years. My experience until recently has always been very positive. I understand that the company is under new management and as a result, somethings will change. Unfortunately, one of the things that has changed radically and for the worse has been their customer service.

Last year, I placed an order with ForestFarm worth approx. $300, not including shipping costs. When a couple of months later the plants had not arrived, I called them. I was told they were out of the plants. Needless to say, I was not pleased since at the time I placed the order, they told me that all the plants were in stock and in the ensuing months, no one called to let me know that they were no longer available.

Eventually, I was contacted by someone to tell me that it wasn't that they were out of stock, but rather that their plants had been guarantined and that once the guarantine was over if the plants I ordered were cleared, they would ship them.

The plants finally arrived, though a number of them showed slight burning around the edges of the leaves. I didn't make an issue of that because often times when plants are shipped and are in a box for many days, the leaf edges get dry.

Shortly after that, I was contacted by the US Department of Agriculture in my State to inquire about the plants. They told me that ForestFarms had been under quarantine for something called Sudden Oak Death. One of the sympthoms is that the edges of leaves will show signs of drying out and all of a sudden, the plant may die. I told the dept. about the condition of the plants I had recieved. They asked me to monitor them. Most of them did okay, but four or five either put out no new growth or died unexpectedly.

I contacted ForestFarms and told them what happened. I was told that their guarantee only extends until the plants arrive. If I didn't file a complaint at the time, they were not responsible. I told them what the dept of ag had told me and sent them pictures of the plants. The woman I spoke with took a very belligerent stance and said that they are only responsible for the plants until I receive them. I told her that in light of the quarantine I had hoped that they would replace those four plants. She said that they would not replace the plants but would reimburse me. I declined the offer because I wanted those specific plants and as I told the women, if she genuinely believed that the problem they had had at the nursery was not the cause, then I felt accepting a reimbursement was inappropriate since their catalog clearly states that they are only responsible for the plants until they arrive.

I decided to wait for the next catalog and reorder those plants. When the catalog arrived, I noticed that their prices had gone up by 30% on most of their plants. I called ForestFarm to ask if they would be putting out a sales catalog later in the year? Michelle, the woman I spoke to said that they had raised the prices on their plants because the cost of shipping had gone up.

I asked why they hadn't simply raised the price fo the shipping, since it usually is less than the price of the plants? As it is, ForestFarms usually charges almost 50% of the cost of the plant to ship, which is exhorbitant by any standards.

Michelle, then asked for my customer ID and when I gave it to her, she said, "Fine, I have inactivated your account."

Whatever happened to the days of customer service?
On January 15th, 2014, Plantsandme changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

After a telephone conversation and a number of e-mails with Jen at Forestfarms who explained what had happened, we came to the conclusion that there had been miscommunication and misunderstandings on both sides.

Based on our conversations, I am changing my original rating from Negative to Positive and strongly recommend to anyone who ever has problems with Forestfarms to ask for Jen. She will do what she can to clarify any misunderstandings and to work with you.

Thanks Jen for taking the time to explain what had happened.
Positive berrybythebay
San Francisco, CA
December 30, 2013
Santa was very good to me with the beautiful maple I received. Perfectly packaged, perfectly pruned, perfectly grown. Thanks friends.
Positive RHopson
Mobile City, TX
November 5, 2013
I have expansive gardens and constantly order new and delightful plants I discover. Honestly, I was overjoyed at the plants I received from Forest Farm. Not only were they rare and wonderful, but the plants they sent me were very large and already budding, more so than any other site I've ordered from. It was as if I had discovered a place where I can get plants the size of ones at Home Depot or Lowes, but at a price just as inexpensive, and more wonderfully unique. Check out their strawberry tree (bush) if you want something truly lovely. I will definitely be ordering more from this quality site. THANKS!
Positive CoryM
Salt Lake City, UT
September 25, 2013
My single experience with Forestfarm was great. I ordered a 6-foot state street maple tree in late winter, specified that I'd like it shipped toward the end of March, and they did exactly that.

The communication was good, the tree arrived on the date expected, looked absolutely healthy, was packed perfectly and contained helpful planting instructions. The tree leafed out and has done extremely well over the summer.

I have their website bookmarked and am already planning some orders for next spring. I hope they go just as well. From my single experience, Forestfarms seems like a responsive nursery that ships healthy plants.
Positive adambrower
Mendota, IL
September 19, 2013
i've been ordering from Forestfarm for several years now, and i have had the occasional sickly plant. this is to be expected. living things don't like being shuttled round in dark boxes. dozens have exceeded expectations, and a few have done poorly. without exception, when the poor ones were brought to their attention, the Forestfarm folk have have made things right. the point is simple. if you're here to decide whether you can trust these folks, you can stop worrying about that. you can - all you have to do is explain what's wrong. in most cases, though, you'll be thrilled with your purchase. this is my first stop, always.
Positive DisneyButterfly
Pensacola, FL (Zone 8b)
June 17, 2013
Posted on June 11, 2013, updated June 17, 2013
I am desiring to purchase additional plants from you, but I am so disappointed in my last order from you!!

I kept one plant and gave the other as a gift. Both plants followed the same path. They kept putting on one new leaf, that new leaf would then die, then another would come up. After 4 times of doing this the entire plant quit/died. Both of us ladies are not new at gardening. We are both Master Gardeners with the Escambia County Extension Office.

Thanks!

850-479-7349

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM, wrote:
ForestFarm Order

Thank you for your ForestFarm order.

Your order number is #26086, please keep track of it for your records.

If you have any questions on this order, please contact plants@forestfarm.com.

Billing Address:

9732 Hollowbrook Dr
Pensacola, FL 32514

Shipping Method: Surface

ForestFarm Products
item name qty price total
Gunnera manicata

Subtotal: $17.90
Shipping: $13.90
Tax: $0.00
Total Amount: $31.80

Thank you for your ForestFarm order.

On June 17th, 2013, DisneyButterfly changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Forestfarm Refuned my money & satisfied/resolved my issues:

Thank you so much Forestfarm for your response to this issue!! I am totally comfortable with your handling of this matter. I will shop through you again soon and give it another try.

Mary Ann
Positive gsteinbe
Trenton, NJ
May 22, 2013
Posted on October 8, 2009, updated May 22, 2013
For the most part, I was really satisfied with the plants I received (a fairly large order for me with six Goumi Berry plants, 2 Running Serviceberry, and 1 Dutchman's Pipe). The Dutchman's Pipe, however, looked weak and damaged on arrival. I planted it anyway, and it promptly seemed to die. I got busy, went on vacation, and forgot for a while all about it. So, several weeks later, when I saw an old email from Forestfarm in one of my email folders, I thought that I ought to write them about the Dutchman's Pipe, which, after all, cost me $19. But because of my delay (and the fact that I was a little fuzzy on the details of when the plants arrived and all), I wasn't very optimistic about getting a refund for it. I emailed Forestfarm with what details I could remember about when the plants arrived, when the Dutchman's Pipe died, etc. I got an email back almost right away that apologized for the poor quality of the plant and promised a refund. No arguments. No excuses. No smarmy rationalizations. I was very pleased. And it turns out that the Dutchman's Pipe isn't completely dead and may even come back. It has put up a couple new leaves and seems to be making an attempt to survive.
On October 8th, 2009, gsteinbe added the following:

UPDATE IN OCTOBER 2009: I, like krowten, received what I think were autumn olives instead of goumis. When I posted my original positive rating of Forestfarm, krowten contacted me by d-mail to tell me that I should check my goumis from Forestfarm to make sure that they weren't autumn olives. So, I emailed Forestfarm and began doing a little checking on my own. My plants have leaves with wavy edges, and they fruit in fall -- both signs that they were probably autumn olives. I sent Forestfarm an email and got a prompt response. I was asked to take photos of the plants' leaves and email the photos to verify that they looked like autumn olives. I sent the photos by email, and Forestfarm ended up sending me replacement plants (the next spring). So, unlike krowten, I can't really complain about how I was treated (although, of course, the initial mistake caused undue inconvenience and delay in my getting real goumis, and at this point, I still haven't gotten any goumi fruits yet).
On May 22nd, 2013, gsteinbe added the following:

So, the Dutchman's Pipe Vine ended up dying long ago, but my money was refunded for it. The Goumi Berries (once real Goumi Berries were sent) have done great and produce wonderful fruit. This spring, I ordered from Forestfarm again. This time, I got a Gold Summer Broom (Genista tinctoria 'Royal Gold'), an American Linden (Tilia americana 'Sentry'), a Saltbush (Atriplex canescens), and an Elderberry (Sambucus nigra 'Samdal'). All arrived in good shape, except for the Gold Summer Broom, which had dry soil in its pot and was totally wilted. I emailed Forestfarm, and after several emails back and forth, they are refunding my money for the Gold Summer Broom. Since it's still alive (and, I hope, will come back), I really only expected a discount on its purchase price (because what I received wasn't a $12 plant and will take at least a growing season to recover), but apparently, I'm going to get a full refund.

I'm leaving my rating as positive, because each time I've had a problem with an order with them, Forestfarm has generously resolved the problem. But truth be told, every time I've ordered from Forestfarm, there's been a problem (the failed Dutchman's Pipe Vine, the Goumi Berries that weren't Goumi Berries, and now a wilted Gold Summer Broom). The latest of these problems is particularly annoying. As much as Forestfarm charges for shipping ($42 on a merchandise order of $74), I would expect my plants to arrive in their own limousine with a personal attendant misting them every few minutes; I wouldn't expect any plant to arrive all dried up and wilted.
Positive evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA (Zone 8a)
May 2, 2013
I have ordered from Forest Farm for many years, off and on. They have always delivered the plants in good size and more than excellent packing, even if I swear at the staples. The plants are great and the prices reasonable.

I would recommend this company with confidence for anyone. Also they have plants that are hard to find elsewhere. Where else would you find a variegated Pachysandra? I have a new shade garden and I am looking forward to receiving my next order.
Positive carolmo
Olathe, KS (Zone 5a)
April 26, 2013
Ordered flowering cherry Shogetsu and 4 dwarf japanese maples. They arrived today in great condition. Beautiful plants. Will order from this company again and highly recommend them.
Positive againes_5
Copper Canyon, TX
April 18, 2013
Ordered one himalayan spruce (Picae Smithiana) and one monkey puzzle tree (Auracaria Auracana). I was pleasantly suprised to see that both were much larger than I expected. Both trees are doing well in their respective environments. The himalayan spruce was planted too deeply in its pot and, thus, I had to remove some soil and advantageous roots to get down to the root flare. I don't criticize the company for this, though, as this is a common practice throughout the industry and it is up to the consumer to correct the issue prior to planting in the ground. Would definitely order from this company again. Thanks!
Positive BlackDogKurt
Seymour, CT
April 17, 2013
Posted on May 4, 2009, updated April 17, 2013
I finally had the opportunity to purchase several plants from ForestFarm this year. While some of the larger plants can be a bit expensive to have shipped all the way from Oregon to Connecticut, buying several plants in the smaller tube sizes worked out just fine. Also, if not ordering during the hot summer months, ground shipping worked out fine and none of the plants seemed the least bit stressed. Plus, ForestFarm's selection is so vast and they have many items that no one else seems to have, so it was worth it for some of the larger plants too.

Everything arrived precisely when I requested them to be delivered and all the plants appear to be healthy. A very good source!
On April 17th, 2013, BlackDogKurt added the following:

I ordered several more trees from ForestFarm in 2012, and as before, everything arrived in good order and customer service was topnotch!
Positive RedClay007
Richmond, VA (Zone 7a)
April 9, 2013
Probably the best source for rare woody plants. All plants are shipped in their original containers, allowing some leeway in terms of getting them in the ground. I recieved a shipment 2 weeks ago and was able to wait until this week to plant them to avoid the unusually cold weather that we've had recently. Definitely my go to source for rare woody plants!
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
March 31, 2013
I placed several orders with them last fall. The plants arrived nicely packaged and healthy looking. I like the large selection they offer and the ease of use of their website.
Positive steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX (Zone 9a)
March 29, 2013
I ordered one plant but thought the price for shipping was probably too high. Once I received the plant, I understood the shipping price. That plant was packed so well, I dont think anything short of a truck running over the box could have damaged it. The plant was in pristine condition, healthy, green and undamaged in any way.
Positive lyph
Ithaca, NY (Zone 5a)
March 4, 2013
I ordered 8 shrubs from this company, in the dead of winter from my zone 5a. I said they 'could be sent early' as I dreamed of planting in April. Imagine my shock when they arrived, so very well packaged, budded, alive and ready for planting on the last week in February! Temp:12 degrees, snow falling, 18" on the ground. no end in sight. Having no garage to store the shrubs for 6 or more weeks, I contacted Forestfarm by phone and by email. Both of the personnel who advised me were terrific, and I have followed their directions, fully expecting success. These folks are a joy to work with!
Positive vitrsna
Colima
Mexico (Zone 11)
March 2, 2013
I ordered a plant to be shipped in a "tube" for a friend in the Southeast USA. It is no mistake that this company is a DG Top Five. The plant was very well packed and in excellent condition and arrived ahead of schedule. Also, the business process and customer service are easy and responsive. I highly recommend this company.
Positive Frank1965
Shreveport, LA
January 25, 2013
Excellent service and excellent plants- Forestfarm will be around for a long time. Nowadays It is always nice to still be able to depend on a business, much too rare now. My order shipped during the cold of the year without mishap and I am very pleased. I order something almost every year and never have been disappointed. Wonderful way to conduct business when there are so many hacks out there ready to take your money and run. I hope they continue- and I will also continue to give them my business.
Positive RabbitRidge
Onalaska, WA (Zone 7b)
January 19, 2013
I recently ordered a selection of hollies from them. I am obviously one of the few people that collects hollies because it is hard to find different cultivars. I've ordered a wide variety of plants from them and I have mostly been really happy. Even their small plants are really well rooted. I did order one plant from them that said fragrant. ( It is fragrant but more in a skunky sort of way. At least I planted it at the back of the bed.) I do wish they could work on ways to decrease the shipping such as removing the plants from the pots. Then I would order from them more often.
Positive PamelaBaja
Sierra de San Pedro Mártir, Baja
Mexico (Zone 8b)
December 10, 2012
Posted on June 11, 2012, updated December 10, 2012
Posted on May 12, 2012, updated June 11, 2012
I would love to order from Forest Farm again but can not afford to-everything they have sent has died!
When I asked if they had any gaurantee-they said no, always helpful with hints but that did not help me.
Everything I received I hardened off slowly and nothing survived..I was really dissapointed as had received plants as well from Brushwood Nursery in Geogia and they ALL did really well.
Ordered twice, both times plants did not make it, so even though they have species I would like I can't take the chance anymore.
On June 11th, 2012, PamelaBaja changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Ray has emailed several times and has offered to replace some plants- we will see in the spring how things go.
On December 10th, 2012, PamelaBaja changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Ray was kind enough to replace the plants that died.Thank you.
Company representative comment on May 15, 2012:
Thank you for posting. I only wish it could have been positive!

We're puzzled. We've checked in our computer for the orders which we think have gone to Mexico, and Baja in particular, and only find five orders that have been shipped to destinations in Texas. We've never shipped directly to Mexico. All of these orders were shipped during the winter months, when the plants would have been leafless and dormant, so there wouldn't have been any hardening involved. Lastly, we never tell anyone that there is no guarantee on our plants. If there is a problem, we try to work out a solution. If you would tell me what the problems were, I'd be glad to give my personal attention to trying to find a way to please you.

Please check to be sure it is Forestfarm that you have in mind, and let me know what we can do to resolve things for you. We never want an unhappy customer! Thanks, Ray (owner)
Positive MulchingMan
Eugene, OR
September 27, 2012
In a world of irresponsible, poorly-run businesses, Forestfarm is a breath of fresh air. I'm not surprised that they are a Watchdog 30 company, as they are one of my favorite companies in general.

I have ordered multiple trees and shrubs from Forestfarm over the past couple of years and all have arrived quickly, well-packaged, and in very good condition. Their inventory is also very extensive. If I can't find it locally, Forestfarm's web site is the first place that I go.

Their customer service is also outstanding. I've inquired about future availability a couple of times, and Ray has responded within a copule of hours. Very impressive.
Positive Bazuhi
Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a)
September 6, 2012
After reading all the good reviews of this nursery I decided to give them a try so I ordered 4 cardinal plants(Lobelia cardinalis)
I recieved the plants on August 31st and I was very impressed on how very well packaged they were and I was really impressed with the quality and size of the plants that I recieved, I even took photos(If I don't get them posted here they are in my journal under periennials) . I did water them as soon as they came and put them in a bright area outside to acclimate them. I finally planted them all on September 5th,I am pretty excited to see how well they come back next year.
Positive sunsprite
Downers Grove, IL
September 1, 2012
I have been using ForestFarm for 9 years, they are my main mail order source for small trees and shrubs. I usually place several orders a season, since I am an avid gardener. I have acquired two Young Lady smoke shrubs, six various Japanese maples, Hearts of Gold redbud, multiple cotoneasters, groundcovers and perennials. There has never been a time when an order was late. Plants always arrive in perfect condition, healthy, with well developed root system. I have not lost one plant that I received from them. Also, when a new cultivar seemed to be "behaving" not the way I expected, I emailed ForestFarm and we had a very nice and lively discussion sharing our observations. Very nice people who know their business. Highly recommend.
Positive Spriggin
Selma, OR
June 27, 2012
Posted on October 5, 2010, updated June 27, 2012
Posted on June 2, 2010, updated October 5, 2010
My order came promptly and in excellent condition. It took more tools to rescue them from their packing than it did to plant them. The plants are doing well and the aforementioned packing is now keeping drafts from my baby chicks. You did good.
On October 5th, 2010, Spriggin added the following:

The plants just bloomed. Cool. I'll be back for more come next season.
On June 27th, 2012, Spriggin added the following:

The customer service is EXCELLENT!! They called me before shipping to be certain everything was right with my address. It was. The plant came in perfect condition. Even though I live just a bit over rock-throwing distance from this company it was packed to survive a war zone. The plant has been settled in to its reserved space and is doing great. Again, you did good.
Positive donnamack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
June 9, 2012
Posted on April 23, 2012, updated June 9, 2012
Posted on April 1, 2000, updated April 23, 2012
I received my first order from Forest Farm last month and am very impressed. I ordered from them because they were the only source I could find, after searching the web, catalogs and local nurseries, of several plants. The packaging was unbelievable. I almost had to WRESTLE the plants out of their boxes! It took half an hour, because the plants are containerized, the tops covered with shredded newspaper, the container placed in a plastic bag and tied, and the whole thing essentially doubleboxed. My three viburnums, in five gallon containers, were all over 3 feet tall (one 4!) and they were in bloom in the box. Despite the surface trip (a good five days) they were not dry. Nor were they rootbound. They are gorgeous specimens. They were $26 each, for a total of $78, and shipping was high ($87 for the three, or more than the plants), but I would do it again.The Cotinus 'Grace' came in a box that had been crushed. The UPS representative suggested I open it immediately so I could assess the damage and refuse delivery. When I opened the box her jaw dropped at the sight of a perfect, fresh shrub. Again, the awesome packaging. I paid $12 for a one gallon container and $8 for shipping, and it is three times the size of the 'Grace' I got two days earlier from another supplier. It had three branches, rather than one, it was twice as tall, and now, in June, it is growing a fourth, while the other plant, for which I paid more, has not changed at all since its planting.I plan to order from them again.
On April 23rd, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I am writing to record the excellent experience I had with Forest Farm (again). I have ordered mostly superb shrubs from them over the years, anything from a five gallon cotinus Grace to tube President Lincoln lilacs, and I have been uniformly happy. This year, because I was moving, I wanted a lot of perennials. The company from which I had previously ordered experienced a significant down grade in product with a sharp increase in price. Since their inferior plants were much more expensive, I decided to turn to Forest Farm.

I am very happy that I did. I ordered two ferns, a tube of Athyrium Branford Beauty and a gallon Athyrium Branford Rambler, 2 of the gallon sized miscanthus sinensis Adagio, 2 tubes of digitalis grandiflora, 2 tubes of Campanula trachelium Bernice, and 2 tubes each of anemone x hybrida Honorine Jobert and Anemone Wirbelwind.

Firstly, I should add that I ordered more than I planned because every time I went to my cart it was pointed out to be that they shipped certain sized boxes, and I could add plants to my order without increasing the shipping. This is an incredibly useful and user friendly tool, because you can add plants and see what the cost is over and over again. So I did add more.

Better yet, the gallon size of Branford Rambler was not available, so they sent a tube of that and gave me two one gallon containers of digitalis foxglove when I had ordered two tubes of the foxglove! I was delighted.

Every plant is perfect – the tubes look like little jewels. And they have found a method of packaging that is easier to get into, while not jeopardizing the safety of the plants. The delivery company delivered one box upside down and not a dot of soil escaped.

The increases in everyone else’s prices (and Forest Farm’s prices have always been at the low end, considering the extraordinary quality of their plants), have made me change my practices this year. I used to go to garden centers and order plants from others. With the sharp increase in gas prices, as well as plant prices, they will now be my go-to for perennials.

On June 9th, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

Seeking to address a privacy problem (a neighbor chopped down three large shrubs on their side of their fence so they could "see me better", I decided to order three deutzia Codsall Pink and to get them from Forest Farm. I ordered three that were supposed to be 2-3 feet tall. One for that location, and two more for another location. I also took the opportunity to order gallica rose Charles deMille, since shipping 4 gallons costs the same as three.

The largest deutzia was over five feet tall! And covered with buds. The other two were approximately four feet tall - all in perfect condition, potted perfectly, and $10 each. I have seen these plants advertised for $32.95 each. The Charles de Milles rose was in bloom, at about two feet tall. It was priced at $15.

The order was to be shipped to arrive Monday, June 11, but instead came Friday, June 8. Perfect!

The shipping was $42, the plant order $45. But I defy anyone to get a one five foot deutzia, three four foot ones, and a containerized rose for $87.00.

This is my second order this season, and between the mind blowing quality, size of the plants, and lighter, but expert shipping, they are now my go to for shrubs, which I had ordered in the pat, as well as perennial. As the prices of plants from other sources goes up, but the quality goes down, Forest Farm is now the first place I look for anything.
Positive essentialplanet
Wilsonville, OR (Zone 8b)
May 18, 2012
Forest Farm REALLY takes great care of their customers. They go the extra mile to make sure that you are happy with their products and services -- they are not satisfied until you are. Buy their excellent plants with COMPLETE confidence!
Neutral bloom79
Arlington, MA
May 16, 2012
Posted on May 10, 2012, updated May 16, 2012
Last fall I placed and received an order of a Japanese maple tree, 3 smokebushes and a abies procera. The customer and shipping services were very good. The three smokebushes were dried up twigs when they arrived. The Abies was a letdown; at $35 it was very small – but I was happy since I got the plant I wanted and they did send me a picture of it before shipping. I sent Ray an email about the smokebushes and was told that it would be ok in spring. I asked and received the guarantee/warranty in an email.
Come spring, the maple sprouts leaves. The smokebushes were still dried up twigs and the abies did not look very good and did not have any buds. I sent Ray an email with pictures and was told to wait for a little longer. The two cotinus /smokebushes then sprouted leaves and I waited till they were about 6-8 inches off the ground to let Ray know that one was not showing any signs of life and that was the same for the abies which now looks worse – again with pictures. This time there was no response. I sent another email to make sure he got the first one and also requested to know when to expect a replacement/credit for the two dead plants- still nothing.
I was hoping to get this resolved over emails but since there is no response I am giving them this negative review.

On May 16th, 2012, bloom79 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

This has been resolved and I received my refund.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
May 11, 2012
I ordered two hardy fuchsias, an acacia and a cardiocrinum.The plants arrived securely packaged and in excellent condition. I place an order or two every year despite the high shipping to the east coast but it's worth it. They have plants you can find nowhere else and they are always great specimens.In response to those who complain about the difficulty of unpacking the shipment I must say I don;t mind;in fact, they should give the guy who does the stapling and the taping a raise.