The scoop on 'Far West Bulb Farm'

Far West Bulb Farm

14499 Lower Colfax Rd
Grass Valley, California 95945 (United States)

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Positive nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
May 16, 2005
I got to see some of Far West's plants (Calochortus, mostly) at a California Native Plant Sale. The plants/bulbs aren't for sale in spring, so all I could do was daydream. The owner was helpful, and I took her card so I can order this Fall. The Calochortus varieties were simply breathtaking.
On September 30th, 2005, nevadagdn changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I snail-mailed (Far West doesn't have online ordering or take credit cards, and the proprietors have other, full-time jobs) my order on September 15, and received my bulbs today. I think that's reasonable allowing for the US Postal Service to dawdle a bit, time for the check to clear, and time for the owners to get my bulbs selected and packed up.

The bulbs look small, but healthy, and were nicely packed. I expect the bulbs are smaller than cultivated varieties to begin with; I'm new to native bulbs.