The scoop on 'Bluestem Nursery'

Bluestem Nursery

1946 Fife Rd
Christina Lake, British Columbia V0H 1E3 (Canada)

Phone: 250-447-6363
Fax: 250-447-6363
Paper Catalog Cost: $5 for 2 years

Comments:

Positive wlj
Rochester, MN
May 15, 2012
I ordered 9 plants of Miscanthus Giganteus (a very tall grass that blooms with a somewhat feathery top). This is the third year here in the Minnesota ground and I am absolutely THRILLED with the plants. They arrived dormant but showing a very robust structure. All sprouted with in 10 days of planting and have been growing progressively larger each year. Last year, they were about 7ft tall -- this year I hope they top over 10 ft (their max height is somewhere around 18ft).

I am also very pleased with the company. They went out of their way to supply extra tags that I requested for the plants and were very pleasant to work with.

I would absolutely, and without reservations, order again from this company again.

Negative bmclennan
Saint Paul, MN
June 28, 2010
My husband and I purchased about 10 ornamental grasses and when we received them they looked like they were dormant. We assumed they would come back and we planted carefully and watered frequently. Only a few survived and we sent photos to Bluestem. Bluestem would only refund our money for two plants. We went to our local discount store and replaced them for half of what we had paid Bluestem.
I would not order again from a company that did not back up their product.
On Nov 1, 2010 5:30 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with:

You sent us pictures that showed all but two of the plants growing very nicely. How can it be our fault if they later died?

When I inspected the photos more carefully I noted that black plastic mulch was used. No wonder the plants died!

Negative Alchris
Edmonton, AB (Zone 3a)
June 9, 2009
I placed an order in mid February for 2 varieties of warm grasses. The Order was confirmed and I was advised that shipment would take place in the last half of May/09 and that I would be charged when shipment occurred. On June 7/09 I emailed them asking when the order would be shipped and was advised that neither variety was available. I was offered clumps of a different variety(at $12) to replace plugs(at $2).
When I asked why they didn't notify me that they couldn't supply the grasses earlier when I had a chance to find replacements, I was told that they didn't have the man power and would have to charge more for their product if they were to provide this service.

While I am not out any money I have learned to get grasses elsewhere if I can.
On Nov 1, 2010 5:27 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with:

Alchris, we are sorry that we didn't notify you, but it really is insane here in the spring. We tried hard in 2010 to notify people, and were successful in getting that done much of the time, but admittedly not always.

By the way, when we offered you clumps of a different variety, it is not quite accurate to suggest that the plugs cost $2. They come in a flat of 25, so the cost is really $50.

Neutral crazy_gardener
Wainwright, AB (Zone 2b)
August 27, 2007
Not very pleased with my first Bluestem order..... 3 of them were not available, yet I ordered very early in February.

I also had to get after them to send my order out since it was already the middle of June.

Can't complain about the quality thou, the clumps were a good size.

On Nov 1, 2010 5:38 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with:

We grow our grasses out in a field. Sometimes the winter does them in, or the muddy and wet conditions in the spring kill them. We wait as long as we can, to see if they will spring to life.
If it was warm season grasses that you ordered, they could not have been shipped to your Zone before early to mid June.

Positive alaska1
Anchorage, AK
June 21, 2007
My second order with this company and it was just as well packed and cared for as the first. Their grass selection is amazing. My plant palette has increased substantially because of Bluestem's inspiring offerings. Will order again.
On Nov 1, 2010 5:49 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with:

Good to hear! I hope that they are still growing well for you in your challenging climate.

Positive mmcd
Mays Landing, NJ
October 4, 2005
I ordered a flat of Northern Sea Oats plugs and they arrived quickly and in surprisingly good shape. I liked dealing with the very personable folks on the phone, and given the reasonable prices, I am reconsidering my current landscape plans to work in more of their grasses.
On Nov 1, 2010 5:51 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with:

Thank you. I expect you now have the most wonderful display of this beautiful grass, and many dried stems to decorate your home with.

Positive LinkM
Williamsville, NY (Zone 5b)
July 18, 2004
Extremely satisfied!! Informative web site. Very helpful in trying to decide what would work in my location: Muriel (web master) and I traded emails for several weeks, then Jim (owner) called me with final selections and shipping arrangements. Plants were shipped all the way from BC to NY and arrived in great shape and ready to plant.
On Nov 1, 2010 5:55 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with:

I am quite sure I remember you from all those years ago. It was a pleasure to help you!

Positive robcastlebay
July 5, 2004
Best selection of grasses in Canada, great prices, and good service. Jim is friendly and personable too. Will be buying more next year for sure.
On Nov 1, 2010 5:53 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with:

Rob, I remember your orders. Your landspape must be looking incredible by now!!

Positive bluegrass
July 30, 2003
I met Jim Brockmeyer ( owner of Bluestem), at a garden show and bought some plugs off of him. I was thoroughly impressed with Jims knowledge and product. Muriel, Jims website designer is also very informative and helpful.This company gets high ratings from me. Anyone wanting cold hardy grasses (zone 3 and 4), this is the place!
On Nov 1, 2010 5:56 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with:

Thank you bluegrass.

Positive loki
March 22, 2003
Extremely knowledgeable and courteous. My order was delivered quickly, in excellent condition and is growing nicely! The price was reasonable as well.
On Nov 1, 2010 5:57 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with:

Thank you loki.

Positive purple_passion
March 9, 2003
Plants arrived in excellent condition and have grown very well. Very friendly service!
On Nov 1, 2010 5:57 PM, Bluestem Nursery responded with: