The scoop on 'Banana Garden.com'

Banana Garden.com

123 North Congress Ave. # 305
Boynton Beach, Florida 33426 (United States)

Phone: 561-852-1789

This company is affiliated with Palms & Gardens

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark March 2011. Per a note from a reader, the website for this company is no longer working. If anyone has a status update for BananaGarden.com, please contact the Garden Watchdog editors.

Comments:

Negative littleguy2
Oakbrook Terrace
United States
October 13, 2007
The Banana Tree I ordered 10 packets of seeds and followed the planting instructions as closely as i could but only two packets of seed germinated. I called and an older gentleman started to yell at me for doing everything wrong. I have had a greenhouse since i was 17 and I'm now 64 so I'm not new at this. I sowed the remainder of the seeds I had doing it his way and still nothing grew. Could use better planting instructions and a little less attitude. Won't buy from them again. email sent 8/1/07 unanswered.
Positive cyberageous
Everglades, FL (Zone 10a)
September 15, 2005
In all fairness, I must comment....you may email me to verify my claim.

I was on the 'net looking for an apple banana, and bananagarden.com came up in my search. I placed an order then I checked further in the net to see that this company had a bad sales record. I called them (first ph# didn't work) to verify my order. I talked to a man that said I couldn't personally pick up my banana tree but he would deliver it the following day.

He came with 2 beautiful trees which I had my pick of.

I am sorry for anyone else that had trouble but my experience was fantastic. My applebanana tree is awesome!
Negative Leo_d
Saint Augustine, FL
June 11, 2005
Just ordered two banana plants from BG and other than the fact that they are tiny (the roots would fit in a large thimble) I have no complaint, hence a neutral rating. They were promptly shipped and arrived in good condition.
On July 13th, 2005, Leo_d changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Neither of these bananas is a Cavendish (which I ordered).
Negative danish
Naples, FL
May 27, 2005
I ordered a banana palm from this company months ago and have heard nothing even though I have sent several e-mails and called as many times. I have asked for my money back but guess what!? No answer and no money! It is disgusting that a company would be like this, and I am sad to read that so many have had similar experiences.
Negative pershina
Fairhope, AL
December 18, 2004
This is a little late, but better late than never.

I ordered several plants from these folks about a year ago. The experience was miserable! Many unanswered emails, no response to phone calls, empty promises when communications were achieved, and subpar plants (albiet not dead plants) when I finally received the order after several months!!!!

I strongly discurrage buying from these folks.
Negative Jhopdog
Georgetown, TX
October 12, 2004
Have to say I wish I'd have come here before I shelled out 130.00 to these folks. I placed my order on Sept 12th. I have sent multiple Emails and have tried to reach them by phone to no avail. They simply don't respond to my inquiries. I paid with an online check, I'm wondering if I can get my money back ? Has anyone been successful in getting their payments returned after they've sent a online bank payment ? Sad thing is they have a great web site with much potential....shame to see folks get greedy and ruin it for honest folks.
Neutral georgia_garden
July 18, 2004
I have ordered from bananagarden, every year for the last three years.

All of my banana plants are from them and I have no complaints.

Most of them are bearing fruit now.

Nothing I have ordered from them has failed to grow . I am sure that it is due to the fact that they ship every plant in the original container.

Shipping can be a little slow sometimes but the plants I receive are always larger than the ones I ordered, thus I can not really complain.

Large and healthy plants always 4 to 5 ft tall.

A Note From the Garden Watchdog Editor:

Upon a lengthy internal investigation, it was determined this feedback originated from a single source, namely the representative of Palms & Gardens/BananaGarden.com.

Two attempts were made to contact this organizaton and clear up any misunderstanding. Regretfully, they have declined to cooperate or reply to our inquiries. It is the stated policy of the Watchdog that companies can NOT pose as customers to inflate their own rating. This company was warned that attempts to do so would be publicly denounced, per our stated guidelines. The rating was changed from positive to neutral so that it would not affect the overall rating given by customers.

Neutral PhilLandscape
July 15, 2004
Great nursery! The varieties they offer is extensive.

I just made my first order and it arrived very quickly . The plants look great and are very well established in their containers!

Before ordering I sent several emails to have more information about specific varities . They were answered rapidly.

The owner knows all the bananas very well and has a lot of new varieties coming.

He even had some musa textilis. I could not find that one anywhere.

They have an interesting website with a lot of information.

I will definitely order again

Neutral little_bug
July 9, 2004
I Ordered a large musa ensete glaucum and a musa ensete maurellii . (could not find therm anywhere else)

The have an excellent selection, detailed informational website and catalog.
They are experts in bananas tissue culture.

Good prices for the plants size.

Nicely packed as usual and large wonderful plants.

I really like the way they acknowledge the order and then let you know when it is being shipped so you can track it.

Very good shopping experience.

Neutral green_bean
July 8, 2004
I Ordered several banana varieties from bananagarden.

I like their web site and the size selection. (They give good information about each variety)

I received plants larger than the sizes ordered.

The Owner has his own tissue culture lab and knows really a lot about banana plants culture.

He emailed me very good growing tips.

Their prices are very reasonable.

I previously ordered bananas from ebay or other mail order companies. I received a very small plant in a 6 inch pot
and for the same price.

The plants I ordered from banagarden were 4 to 6 ft tall with a nice trunk.

I am very pleased with my order.

Negative sewsgreat
Bear, DE
May 10, 2004
On April 16, I placed an order with Banana Garden for a heliconia. I have been trying since 5/3 to check the status of my order. I sent an email & received no response. I have left 3 telephone messages on the 800 number & have received no response. I called their local number on 5/6 and spoke to a man who told me he would check my order status & call me back. I have heard nothing. What I did not realize is that this is also Palms & Gardens who has a lot of negative feedback. I am going to file complaints against them if I don't hear from them soon.
On May 14th, 2004, sewsgreat added the following:

The day after I filed a complaint with Paypal Palms & Gardens (also known as Banana Garden) shipped my plant. I received it yesterday (5/13). It was alive but very damaged and full of ants (thousands of ants). I am not happy and will not order from this supplier again. Paypal was great in their prompt assistance.
Positive Eric_OH
Columbus, OH (Zone 6a)
December 6, 2003
I ordered a Musa basjoo from this company last year. Price was about the same or a little cheaper than other mailorder sources. What I didn't expect to get was such a large plant (about 2 1/2 feet tall), which had been packed with great care and arrived in excellent condition.

I'd do business with them again.

Neutral barbaras
September 4, 2003
This was my first time ordering from this company

I was extremely pleased with the service and plant quality.

They are very generous in size: plants 1 ft about size ordered with large trunk. very good value

The order went smoothly and was acknowledged promptly.

I could see online the order status and other tracking info.

Neutral claudia_b
August 27, 2003
I ordered several rare banana plants. All plants were labeled and very nice.

All plants were bigger than stated when I ordered them. I ordered 2 gallons 3 ft and received plants around 4-5 ft tall.
Even the musa basjoo was of a larger size with already a nice trunk.everything was well packed.

An added value is their web site where they give a detailed description of each plant.

Negative 321start
June 20, 2003
I placed an order for a basjoo - waited the 4 weeks that they said it could take. Nothing. Sent 2 messages via their website and one email directly to them - no response. Called - left a message on the answering machine to cancel the order and followed up via their webpage and told them I was posting my experience to Garden Watchdog. Received a terse email stating I didn't read the t&c's that it could take 4 weeks to ship - its going on 5 weeks today and their website still says the order is "In Processing". Had they responded to inquiries with an explanation, I probably would not have cancelled. I won't be trying them again.
Neutral franks
June 20, 2003
Received very nice plants from this nursery. thier site is well documented on all the bananas they grow.

Ordered 4 rare banana plants in 3 gallons container. I could not find the plants anywhere else.

They arrived well packed and were of a very nice size :between 5 and 6 ft tall.

strong trunk and healthy.

very satisfied with the plants .

Neutral John_Edwards
May 20, 2003
I ordered a 3 gallons musa ensete maurellii

What a great plant!!!

I received a 4 ft tall plant. looking good and healthy

I am happy !

Neutral GetSmart
May 18, 2003
I Ordered several 3 gallons plants. they were of a very nice size : 5- 6 ft tall with a large trunk

very satisfied and price is fair for size shipped.

Negative abcsoup
May 13, 2003
I ordered two banana plants, and they arrived in a cardboard box, packed in styrofoam peanuts and shredded newspaper. The leaves were half brown, and all the leaves were broken and cut, and split. I would not recommend this company.