The scoop on 'Meadowbrook Nursery We-Du Natives (formerly We-Du Nurseries)'

Meadowbrook Nursery We-Du Natives (formerly We-Du Nurseries)

2055 Polly Sprout Road
Marion, North Carolina 28752-7349 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Editor's Comment:
Closed October 2013, Per the owner the nursery has closed.

Company Comment, posted on November 1, 1997:
Meadowbrook Nursery (We-Du Natives) recently launched our new and greatly expanded web site in March of 2005. If you haven't been by the site in a while, you may want to take a look at the new format - we think you'll like it!

Thanks for all the positive comments - our customers are the most important part of our nursery!

Comments:

Positive NCMstGardener
Columbus, NC
October 14, 2013
Meadowbrook is a great Nursery. The Polk County NC Master Gardeners make a field trip each year with our Extension Agent to see the great job that they do propagating native plants -- no digging from the wild. Jamie Oxley has been working hard to properly identify many of the plants that were there when he bought the nursery. A lot of the original We-Du plants have labels that simply read "From JCR." JCR is JC Raulstron. The JC Raulstron Arboretum is operated by NC State University in Raleigh, NC. While I have never purchased a plant by mail, I feel comfortable that mail customers will get the same great service as we who are fortunate enough to visit the nursery.
Positive Frank1965
Shreveport, LA
November 14, 2012
My order arrived very quickly and in excellent shape. I originally ordered something that wasn't available and received a prompt email and a offer of a refund- I chose to get something else instead. When it arrived there was a very nice bonus plant for my trouble! Can't beat that! I'm very pleased with my purchase and will be ordering again.
Positive agroff
Camp Hill, PA
November 4, 2012
Plants arrived in excellent condition. Large size and healthy. Good communication and very quick delivery. Worked with me to determine a good shipping date in order to avoid impact from Hurricane Sandy. Highly recommended!! A+
Positive Rollandh
Wilmington, NC
October 16, 2012
Posted on February 28, 2012, updated October 16, 2012
I recommend this nursery. Was pleased with the promptness of their delivery. They even considered the weather conditions in their area before sending the order and I still received plants in a week. The prices are reasonable, the selection good and the state of the plants received great. I oredered 11 native, deciduous shrubs. They all were one to two gallons The spice bushes were a bit small in size but we'll see how quickly they develop. The packaging was perfect: rootballs intact with soil contained in plastic wrap covered with plastic grocery bag knotted at the base of stem. The body and branches of each plant were wrapped into newspaper held together by tape. They all fit snuggly in a long box with no room to shift but not pressed too tightly. I was a little concerned that I ordered too many plants especially as this was my first purchase with the company, but my concerns were alleviated as I unwrapped and inspected each plant and as it took me two days to plant them I got a chance to see how well they withstood the ordeal of transport. The iteas came with leaves and still have them two weeks later. The chokeberry, clethora, enkianthus, and the various viburnums are all looking well-adjusted with long woody stalks and beginning spring bud development. Check them out they are a nursery that provides very good value for the money.
On October 16th, 2012, Rollandh added the following:

I have now ordered three more times within the last month or so and I have now moved them up to the best online nursery for me based on their quick turn-around time, their very reasonable prices, great packing, their selection and the absolutely outstanding co ndition of their plants. I particularly like their fothergillas, iteas, viburnums, blueberries and now the one and only vernal witch hazel (just don't have the space for more). The witch hazel was very bushy, well-established and I even think there will be possibilitiy of some flowering this winter (although I don't know when in its lifecycle a witch hazel starts to bloom).

It has been an eye-openig experience to order plants from them this time of year as opposed to late winter for the deciduous plants as they are more impressive looking when they have leaves.

I've had no problems what-so-ever.
Negative Unotenore
Dallas, TX
September 22, 2012
I and two associates knowledgeable of rhododendrons and many native trees visited the nursery of recent. The Oxleys were in the middle of a saturday during a half price(nursery p. up only) sale, sept. 22, 2012. They were both less than helpful, and definitely unfriendly to downright beligerant to me and another senior citizen who came after our arrival. Without help at that time to conduct business, they seemed overwhelmed! I cannot recommend this nursery, as both Jamie and Mary are not people friendly owners. Their plants that were poorly I.D.'d seemed respectably care for, but service, or poor service in this case, says far more! I'd strongly advise against doing business with this nursery under present ownership!
Positive morningloree
Heathrow, FL
May 26, 2012
Impressed, received very healthy and large Mountain Laurels. The tree I ordered was damaged during the shipping process and MeadowBrook sent a replacement and instructions on how to salvage the damaged tree. They are responsive to emails, have great quality plants, and ship very quickly after the order is placed. I will be finishing up my woodlands garden makeover with plants from this company.
Positive back40bean
Decatur, GA (Zone 7b)
February 21, 2012
I highly recommend this nursery. I ordered five 3 gal rhododendrons from them last Fall and was very pleased and impressed with the size and condition of the plants. I've already made a second order of a few more plants I just needed to have, deciduous shrubs but looking good and ready now to burst forth in this earlly Spring. I'll be ordering from them in the future.
Positive sthinton
Astoria, NY (Zone 6b)
May 23, 2009
I highly recommend you order from this nursery!

I discovered Meadowbrook Nurseries this spring when searching on-line for an Oak Leaf Hydrangea. I was very pleased to browse their selection of native plants. Within an hour I had loaded my Shopping Cart with more plants than I could fit into my well-established small NYC garden. I hesitantly removed all but the Hydrangea, an Aster October Skies, a Coreopsis Autumn Blush and three Phlox David Lavender. The cost was $64; shipping charges were a very slight $16. The plant sizes noted were quite a bit larger than anything I have seen from other nurseries, so I was very expectant but leery.

One week later I received my order, which was well pack with wood raffia as the filler. I was pleased with this all-natural and entirely recyclable approach. The plants were packed with care and everything arrived in excellent condition.

The plants were of amazing quality, the largest I've ever received from any nursery. Plants had been removed from their tubs and wrapped in thick plastic wrap. The planting material was rich, organic matter and as I transplanted it was very easy to open out the roots into a natural shape. One month after putting them in my garden the plants are all thriving.
Positive O_DubhGhaill
Syracuse, NY
May 6, 2009
Outstanding nursery! I had never dealt with this on-line operation prior to ordering a 2 gallon Hamamelis virginiana 'Mohonk Red'. It arrived incredibly well-packed and in excellent health. Immediately after planting, it has taken off.

This prompted me to cancel an order I had with another on-line nursery for some other items and a 'Diane" witch hazel in order to place another order with Meadowbrook for a 'Sunburst' witch hazel and a raspberry mountain laurel. I received tracking numbers from Meadowbrook immediately after my orders shipped.

As further testament to their outstanding customer service, I telephoned Jamie with a question while waiting for the Sunburst and mountain laurel. Even as busy as they must be with Mother's Day coming up, Jamie, pleasant as could be, was more than happy to field my queries. After he remembered my name from my previous orders, he informed me that he had shipped me a 'Diane' by mistake instead of the Sunburst I had ordered with the mountain laurel, but that it was my lucky day, as he told me that he had caught the error and immediately shipped me a Sunburst on them! The Sunburst will arrive the day after the Diane and my planting will carry on without a blip!

I couldn't recommend this nursery more.
Positive ben773
Waukegan, IL
October 20, 2007
I ordered 5 Rudbeckia subtomentosa 'Henry Eilers" for fall planting recently. The plants were of respectable size, healthy and were very well packed. What impressed me most was the size of the root balls. They were of gallon size (depotted and root balls wrapped in plastic bags), well established and since I ordered the plants late in the year (for fall planting), a good root system matters most. I will definately order from them again.
Positive spartacusaby
Hendersonville, NC (Zone 7a)
July 15, 2007
I'm fortunate to live close enough to visit Meadowbrook in person, so can't comment on their packing or shipping. Have done business with them three times so far, and will certainly continue to visit them. The selection of native plants is excellent; they also have some beautiful imports, including a growing collection of dwarf conifers; and no invasives - really appreciate that! The plants are large, well-rooted, and always in excellent health; you plant them and watch them take off. This nursery is a real find, and I'd happily recommend them to anyone.
Positive NewHopeGardens
Wellford, SC
February 9, 2007
Feb 2006 - I called to ask when the nursery would open for Spring. They told me that they would open soon, but since they were on-site working, for me to come on in for a visit. What a delight! Ron and Jamie spent HOURS touring me over the facility. The plants were of fantastic quality. I bought 4 trees, and definitely plan a return visit when the perennials are ready for sale. They offer choice, rare items for excellent prices.
Positive tobee43
groveland, FL (Zone 9b)
May 12, 2006
i received a large order today of native plants. i didn't know what to expect since this was my first order with them. when i opened the boxes everything was well packaged and the plants were WAY larger than expected. actually, had i known how large they were, i certainly would have had them shipped sooner than later. the buckeye....it was almost 4 feet high!

there was one broken plant and i called them immediately and was told a replacement would be coming asap. i found the communication with the company excellent. one thing i would suggest: if you're like me and place many orders and expect the same small plants that usually get sent, i'd like to warn everyone that is not the case with meadowbrook nursery! be prepared because when they say 2 gallon plants THEY MEAN IT!

i would not hesitate to order again from them.
On May 19th, 2006, tobee43 added the following:

rec'd GIANT replaced. don't expect anything less from jamie. i know i was a pain to him, and he is the nicest person ever.

i'm sure he's going to be too happy when i place another order next year!
Positive irmaly
boone, NC (Zone 5b)
May 10, 2005
We recently visited MeadowBrook and were extremely pleased with both the selection and the very fair prices on the plants. The nursery specializes in plants native to the area, but there are also special ferns, hostas, etc. We were most impressed with the high quality and excellent variety of native and other specialty trees. We came away with several (now, where, oh where, will we plant them?). The only "complaint" we had was that the LOVELY lady there to answer questions and show us around the nursery seemed unsure at times as to plant identity, and many of the selections were not tagged. Then again, this is primarily a mail order nursery, so we pretty much shrugged it off. We highly recommend this nursery for buys.
Neutral ky23
March 21, 2004
The Company Comment is a little misleading. It makes it sound like the current owners bought it from Dick and Rene. The current owners bought the nursery in 2002. The people that originally bought it from Dick and Rene are no longer associated with this nursery in any way, shape, or form. I had fantastic experiences with the previous owners, and know for a fact that any plant shipped was grown at the nursery, not collected in the wild. I have not had any experience with the nursery since the change in ownership in 2002, so have no opinion, positive or negative.
Positive nturland
April 3, 2002
An excellent nursery. I've ordered from We-Du several times and have always been delighted with the quality of the plants, promptness of shipping, and helpfulness of service. Plants come well-packed, de-potted, and wrapped in plastic bags. A great source of native trees, shrubs, and wildflowers (and other plants too).
Positive sunfest
West Palm Beach, FL
January 23, 2002
The plants I ordered were healthy, larger than expected, and very well packed.
Positive Carter
Houston, TX (Zone 9b)
January 18, 2002
Superb!! I received my plants within a WEEK of ordering (I called my order in). I expected good quality plants, but was exceedingly pleased to find they were GREAT quality! Super healthy, tons of beautiful roots, and large sized (one I was expecting about 18" and it is double that at least!!). Their prices are only slightly higher than average, but their stock is extensive and have many rare and unusual varieties! They are definitely a must for anyone looking for quality!
Positive bburkett
January 1, 2002
Absolutely first-rate service and quality of plants! Since I live nearby, I can pick up my plants ("will call"). However, I am confident that their packaging and shipping procedures are as excellent as is everything else about the nursery. Wonderful large, healthy plants -- excellent value! I look elsewhere for native plants only if they don't have what I'm seeking (which is seldom).
Positive darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States (Zone 5b)
December 1, 2001
Vic and I went to visit them about 2 months ago. They specialize in native plants, and have a large garden site with many greenhouses. Very knowledgeable. As it was Fall, much work was needed in the garden (small staff, mostly the owners when we were there) but they seem very dedicated. Vic bought something, but what I wanted was not available. I will buy some more natives for my woodland/shade garden from them in the spring.
Positive HowardAc7h
March 15, 2001
I received my order from We-Du nursery on March 6, 2001 and I am very pleased. The plants were a good size with lots of roots and in very good condition. The packaging was very good.
Positive SRob101959
February 1, 1999
This is a great nursery! The plants are a good size, arrive packaged well and a great selection! Best of all, the phones are answered by pleasant helpful people! This is my favorite nursery (next to Heronswood.)
Neutral SheilaSmith
Niles, MI
August 1, 1998
I order something most years from We-Du. The only problem I have had is one plant was sent infected with rust (apparently a rust species not hardy up north, as it died over the winter). Also, buyers should be aware that they do collect from the wild. Otherwise, I have had fast, friendly service, a wide selection of plants, low prices, and decent packaging.
Positive DianePruden
July 1, 1998
I ordered from them for first time this year - excellent! The packaging was exceptional and all the plants are doing well. They had broke dormancy but had not even wilted when I received them. I will be ordering again.
Positive KateHunter
November 1, 1997
This is a great nursery. They offer a wide range of southeastern natives and their Asian counterparts. You will find some delectabletreasures listed in their catalog. The Fall 1997 list now includes zones, so this is a bonus for those of us in other parts of the country. Their prices are very reasonable and the plants they send are large and well grown. One plant this year never broke dormancy for me. After I sent them a card, I got an apologetic phone call from them, followed up by a credit for next spring. [update 2000] I would like to quote the catalog from 1999 re the issue of collecting in the wild. This is a very reputable company and I believe they would not fudge on this. Here is what they say:"WE-DU specializes in nursery-propagated natives" I realize that many places make a bit more definitive statement (e.g. "and do not collect in the wild"). I just wanted to try to set the record straight. If others have evidence that We-Du is collecting in the wild, please submit that evidence.