The scoop on 'The Potting Shed'

The Potting Shed

#44 Haldimand Rd. 17
Dunnville, Ontario N1A 2W4 (Canada)

Comments:

Positive daylily_pam
Langton
May 10, 2007
The Potting Shed is an excellent nursery to deal with. I originally became interested in daylilies because of a presentation Jack made at the Paris Garden show. I now have a collection of over 50 daylilies, most of which I have purchased from The Potting Shed. Jack's collection is top notch and he always is very helpful when I have visited the gardens. The plants are excellent quality. I would recommend going to The Potting Shed if you are at all interested in daylilies, you won't be disappointed.
Positive sammigirl
Orangeville, ON (Zone 5a)
May 16, 2006
My first dealings with The Potting Shed was last fall and I was extremely pleased with the service, quick delivery and the quality of the daylilies I received. I've ordered a few more this spring.
Negative 2zeus
(Zone 7b)
February 17, 2006
I contacted the owner before Christmas asking about the availability of two daylily cultivars - he replied fairly quickly, to wait until the new year, and then contact him.

I emailed on Jan 10th of 2006, asking again about the two daylilies. I received no reply.

On Feb 13th, I received an email from the owner, stating that he had the 2 daylilies I'd been asking about.

I replied that, as he had not gotten back to me sooner, I'd become impatient and gone elsewhere.

I received an email almost right away which said:

"I THOUGHT I SAID TO EMAIL BUT PERHAPS IT WASN'T CLEAR. I DON'T THINK WE WOULD HAVE WORKED WELL TOGETHER ANYWAY. I HOPE YOU FOUND SOMEONE VERY PATIENT AND GOT SOME GREAT DEALS."

I wrote back saying that I had emailed him, over a month prior, on Jan 10th, he hadn't gotten back to me. Other vendors responded within a day or two, so their service was better than his, a simple choice.
I also said that I thought this was a strange way to treat a potential customer, and I found his comments childish and unprofessional.

I believe that in spite of that last part of the sentence about the great deals, there was a definite insult implied at the beginning, and I would not deal with this individual again.

It took him 33 days to respond to my inquiry regarding the two products, but when I wrote that I was no longer interested in dealing with him, he replied with what I considered a rude answer within 24 hours.

I would not recommend this company.
Positive Barb_Terry
welland
June 22, 2005
My husband and I have been to the potting shed for 4 years now. Jack and his mom are great to talk with..and will answer any questions you have. We have bought many many hostas from him and have never had a problem with any of them. Have recommended the Potting Shed to many people and will continue to.
Positive chillout
Mid Vancouver Island
August 31, 2004
THE DAYLILIES I JUST RECEIVED ARE SO LARGE AND HEALTHY I WAS SURPRISED TO RECIVE A VERY EXPENSIVE FREE GIFT DAYLILY, THE ORDER WAS WELL PACKED WILL BE ORDERING FROM THE POTTING SHED AGAIN.
Positive loisc
Toronto, Canada
August 2, 2003
I went to this nursery back in june of this year and had a very positive experience.

The ower was very, very nice and showed me around his beds of plants. I do not grow day-lilies so I can not comment on his main business, but, I bought a couple of hosta from him and a hakonechloa grass.

I got to pick which plants I wanted out of his display garden since he didn't have the varieties I was looking for potted up. He even offered to sell be a division out of his main garden if I came beck next spring for a very hard to find plant. I look forward to returning.

Only drawback: slightly high pricing -- but worth it after my experiences with "bad" nurseries.