The scoop on 'Walmart.com '

Walmart.com

No address on file.

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies.

Comments:

Positive barelilly
June 4, 2014
Posted on May 20, 2014, updated June 4, 2014
Last year we bought a pear, peach and cherry tree from our local walmart when they went on sale for 50% off because I knew if we got them in the ground a few weeks before frost they should be fine, as most perennials are. We were quiet happy when they all grew quiet a bit before winter, especially the pear. This spring the pear tree was covered with blossoms and is growing fast, the cherry has a couple of blooms but is covered in new leaves, the peach is growing leaves but is coming along slower then the other two which according to the research I have done is normal for this area of the country. We bought some bareroot strawberry plants and they have yet to do anything at all. So all in all I would say we are happy with what we buy from Walmart and the prices are great and being able to return a plant with the receipt is cool. So we bought an apple tree early this year because they ran out of them fast last year. Any gardener knows that buying plants from anywhere does not guarentee it will do well, there are too many variables that come into play. I am still holding out hope for the strawberries, if they fail I will simply do what I usually do with my perennial flowers and vegetables and start them from seed. I do think that since Walmart does not hire knowledgable gardening people for their garden area its wise to do some googling if your new to gardening.
On June 4th, 2014, barelilly added the following:

We got two more fruit trees, a columbine and lavender which are all doing great but nothing yet from the strawberry roots we got in may.
Negative thespiangarden
Paris, KY (Zone 6b)
March 21, 2011
I am really disappointed that Walmart does not sell mushroom compost. When I called they said they didn't even know what I was talking about! Bunch of idiots-
Positive JMKM1976
Hornell, NY
March 20, 2011
Walmart is a tricky place to buy plants. I've had more successes than failures but in their defense, the falures were partly my fault. As a gardener, I am always hopeful that I can nurse plants back to health and USED TO buy clearanced plants and bulbs. Honestly, after plants and bulbs have undergone months of neglect and abuse at Walmart, by the time they are clearnaced, thre is no saving them at all!

ANyway, last year I bought 7 dwarf fruit trees from Walmart, 2 cherry, 2 pear, 2 plum and 1 peach. As of the time that the leaves dropped in autumn, 6 are still alive. I lost one cherry tree but have the reciept and tag from the tree and will take it back as soon as this years trees arrive to be replaced (there is a 1 year warranty on plants from Walmart if you save reciept and bring the plant back).

It won't be long and I will see how many of the others survived the winter. Except for the peach tree, all the other trees had considerable branching and leaf growth through last spring and summer. I'm worried about the peach tree because it didn't really branch out or leaf out, it didn't do much of anything over the months it had to establish. Still, it's yet o be seen it it lived or not.

In addition to the trees, I've purchased about a dozen different named daylilies (this year I found Calico Jack, one I wanted badly there) and several irises (this year two varieties of siberian irises). I've bought dozens of varieties of hostas as well but I will caution you on these, they are very small and though I have never lost a hosta that wasn't bought on clearance, it has taken as long as 4 years for most to take off even under optimal conditions. In any case, don't wait until planting time to buy the plants at Walmart becasue chances are, if you do, they will be in horrible condition, especially those in bags. I only buy their bagged plants when they are first put out as stock and I plant them in 1 gallon pots and set them in my little greenhouse immidiately when I get home.
Negative Lucille44
Alvin, TX
March 20, 2011
Went to my local Walmart store where I have purchased tons of mulch in the past, and asked them for some cardboard boxes to use as mulch since I can't buy bagged mulch this year. I was told no, can't have boxes, can't get a bale of their baled cardboard boxes. It would have cost them nothing to help me out, instead all I heard was 'no'.
No friendly customer service here.
Neutral JAMIESMITH
Decatur, MS (Zone 7b)
January 13, 2011
I bought eight rose bushes, a white flowering dogwood, and a yoshino cherry tree from my local Walmart last February. All of the plants are thriving, BUT of the roses only five were what they were labeled to be.
Neutral JeremyB
August 17, 2008
Well, the main thing about Wal-Mart is make sure you buy and plants or bareroots in the bags early. They rot and get all mushy very quickly. As far a chemicals go, that is the cheapest place I can find them (insect spray, fertilizer...). There seeds are terrible though for the price. You get those little packets with about 10 seeds each. I hate that! For seeds go to Cheap Seeds.com, they are great!
Positive autumn4vajb
Lenoir, NC (Zone 7a)
July 22, 2008
Bought rose bushes, dahlias, and pansies all are doing great.
Negative pitkincottage
(Zone 4b)
May 11, 2008
Be VERY CAREFUL about purchasing their hostas! Before I became aware of the contagious & fatal HVX (Hosta Virus X) virus, I purchased hostas which turned out to be infected. Now, for several years to come, I have no way of knowing if I've contaminated other hostas in my garden - a possibly very expensive result of trying to save a few bucks. All hosta purchases from "big box" stores are potentially dangerous, as the supply chain has inadequate safeguards against contamination.
Positive incognitoone
Greenwood, SC
March 15, 2007
Walmart gets a positive for right now. I bought an amaryllis bulb from them. It was pretty big and not too expensive. And it's already growing pretty big. It looks healthy. I bought some soil from them too. The soil really burned my hands when I was planting the bulb but hopefully it won't hurt my plants.
Positive bobbi_s
Richland, WA (Zone 7a)
March 14, 2007
HI:
I purchased quite a number of different bulbs from Walmart this year, and was quite impressed with the Bowl of Beauty Peonies that I bought. The plants already have sprouts coming on them, and I am very happy with them. I also am very pleased with the varieties that they seem to have. I am looking forward to my garden this year.

Thanks,

Positive jeffd01024
West Sacramento, CA
January 21, 2007
I bought Burpee vegetable and herb seeds at Wal-Mart recently...the price at our Wal-Mart for these retail seed packs was mostly $1.07 each, and a few a little higher....seeds are new, packed for 2007, and a lot cheaper than retail packs from Burpee directly
(probably 50% less)...i think thats an excellent price for good quality retail seed packs and wal-Mart also had good prices on other gardening stuff like Asparagus and Rhubarb starts, onion sets......dont know about the rest of their gardening stuff, though....
Negative midwestgardener
Lebanon, MO
July 24, 2006
I have had some problems with the plants I have gotten from Walmart. Things like tulip bulbs that were the wrong color, clematis, again wrong color, its frustrating to wait the better part of a year to get something to grow and bloom and it to be not as advertised. Some bareroot plants just didnt grow at all. I would say about 50% of them didnt grow. I am not impressed by anything I have gotten from them.

The worst is the horrible bagged roses. Most of which, were diseased, and will probably die this winter. I wont buy anything bareroot from Walmart again. Maybe if it is a potted plant, even then, I would be leary. I recently looked at the garden center of a local Walmart and it looked like blackspot/fungus central. The carnage of those poor roses, I wouldnt want one of them in my garden.

I also got two dead apple trees from Walmart which I am returning. They never made a single leaf on either of them so they can have them back.
Positive jestelleoan
Tyler, TX (Zone 8a)
October 31, 2005
I am always pleased with Wal Mart bulbs they may not be the biggest but I am not paying the biggest price and I can see what I get. I have a big yard so they work very well for me.
Amaryllis $4, Fritillaria $5.
Positive IsThisHeaven
Fenton, MO (Zone 5b)
October 31, 2005
Walmart's peonies may be very common, but they are so affordably priced, they are a good bargain. Started my peony collection with Sarah Bernthart peony from Walmart. Now I pick up new varieties as they get them, but buy more "specialty" types from other places. You have to watch them on those really weird ones they sell like Lavender Lady and Blue Lagoon though, they are not in the Peony Society and for a reason.. they don't hold true to their name. Otherwise.. Walmart is a great place to start a peony collection.
Positive Breezymeadow
Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a)
February 22, 2005
I have been purchasing bulbs from WalMart for several years now & have yet to be disappointed - Amaryllis, tulips, daffodils, paperwhites, etc. - have all performed extremely well for me over the years.

That said - PLEASE NOTE that WalMart - at least the ones here in VA - purchase all their bulbs from Van Bourgondiens (their name & address is on all the bulb packaging), who do not have a good rating here on the Watchdog as far as their mailorder business. However, I would not hesitate for a moment to purchase their bulbs from WalMart, & may even give their mailorder a try.
Positive ssherrel1
Nashville, TN (Zone 6b)
February 21, 2005
I know that most gardeners probably don't think of walmart as a place to purchase bulbs, BUT, I had a very pleasant experience with the last minute purchases I made there. We moved around the end of September and didn't have time to order everything from catalogs. I bought 2 bags (80 pc) of crocuses as well as tulips and bearded irises. The crocuses were less than $3 a bag and the irises were about $5 a bag (2 pc). I can't remeber the exact price of the tulips but I think they were about $7 for 2 dozen. The tulip bulbs were actually very large and so far, I think every single crocus has popped up (many blooming) and many of the tulips are on their way. All of the irises are healthy as well. You can't beat the price and the convenience.