The scoop on 'Hickory Mountain Plant Farm (Hosta Farm.com)'

Hickory Mountain Plant Farm (Hosta Farm.com)

148 Hadley Mill Rd
Pittsboro, North Carolina 27312 (United States)

Visit Hickory Mountain Plant Farm (Hosta Farm.com) at:

Editor's Comment:
Closed June 2007. It is with sadness that we note the closure of Hickory Mountain Plant Farm, per a note from the owners. The Watchdog editors extend our best wishes to Greta and Duck on their future endeavours.

Company Comment, posted on October 23, 2004:
As you're getting your garden ready for winter, we're semi-closing up for the season here at the nursery. To thank all of the DG members who have ordered from us over the past years, this is a "heads up" that we began a Fall Sale last night. Duck & Greta

PS: In addition to hostas and ferns, we're now offering arum, heucheras, tiarellas, and helleborus.
(PPS: Dave, if this is not permissible, just email and we'll reword this "Company Comment.")

Comments:

Positive tgiforever
New Bern, NC
May 27, 2007
I have ordered from Greta and Duck several times in the past couple of years and I have always been more than delighted with both their Hostas and their service. Their plants are large, well rooted, and healthy and priced often below current market prices. They are more than willing to go the extra mile to insure customer satisfaction. Almost every order has included an unexpected but most appreciated gift hosta. I will continue to give my business to Hickory Mountain Plant Farm. If fact, they have become my sole source of Hostas as I expand my gardens.
Positive faint
Archer, IA (Zone 4b)
May 19, 2007
Just received my first order. I was extremely pleased with the quality of the hosta ordered and the extensive root systems! As a collector, pricing is always a consideration as well as shipping which seemed a bit spendy. Plant prices were very reasonable and packaging was top notch!
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
September 8, 2006
This was first experience with this company. Received an order of 7 hostas. All were carefully packaged and in good condition with great root systems. Duck was very helpful answering my questions during the ordering process.
On November 1st, 2006, tbuff added the following:

I placed a second order this season and was equally as pleased as the first. I was very impressed at the amount of time Duck spent sharing with me his honest evaluation of a number of hostas I asked about. As a collector, I found this input invaluable. In some cases, Duck's advice may have even cost him a sale, but it is clear his top priority is doing what is right for the customer.
Positive Jyber209
Berwyn, PA
July 13, 2006
I ordered three Dixie Wood Ferns (somewhat tough to find locally). They arrived today, promptly and well packaged, and were in beautiful condition!! :-)

I was very pleased with this experience and hope to do business with this firm again.
Positive flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA (Zone 7a)
October 5, 2005
I just purchased some hostas from this company and was able to take advantage of their end of the season sale. The prices were great...and I am very pleased with the plants I received~much better than I expected for the prices. Greta was nice to deal with and answered all email communications thoroughly and promptly. I would definitely purchase from them again.
Positive jhayes5032
Greensboro, NC
September 25, 2005
I had a good experience with both Duck and his grandson. Duck gave me a full primer on Hostas and actually gave me two Hostas in addition to the ones I bought. He seems to have a better combination of selection, quality and price than his main competitors in Raleigh and Chapel Hill
Positive GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI (Zone 4a)
September 21, 2005
I had been hearing very good things about Duck & Greta and their hostas. I decided to place an order with them. They were so nice to work with. One of the hostas I wanted didn't have the buy button on the page so when I received their confirmation I explained it and asked if they could still add it to my order. They were very quick to respond that yes they would be happy to add it and that they were glad I had asked about it because they were not aware that the buy button wasn't on that page. My order arrived very quickly and wonderfully packaged. The hostas are incredible. No dinky little divisions here. All are very substantial and have excellent root systems. I highly recommend Duck & Greta and will be ordering from them again.
Positive carol1
Burlington, VT
September 16, 2005
I just received my Hosta order last night. This is the third time I've ordered from Duck and Greta. The plants are so mature and healthy, and the roots are huge. If you want quality plants and a great selection, you can't beat the Hickory Mountain Plant Farm.
Positive RDT
Crossville, TN (Zone 6b)
September 15, 2005
I just received my hostas and ferns from Duck and Greta. They look wonderful. Healthy with a full amount of roots. They received my order on Saturday and by Wednesday I had them planted in my garden. Communication was prompt.
Positive julie88
Muscoda, WI (Zone 4b)
August 19, 2005
This is the 'concise' version of my experience with Hosta Farm dot com. :-O (=Totally amazed!)

Order placed on Sunday, Email confirmation within less than an hour, plants arrived on Thursday in positively *perfect* (and amazing) condition.

The plants were larger than I'd ever received 'mail order' from "other" companies. Foliage was intact and looked as fresh as if they had just been dug from own garden.

I'm *more* than satisfied with Hosta Farms' service *and* quality. I'll be buying from them again, soon.

~julie~
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
August 18, 2005
I can't comment on this company's Hostas, but I did recently order 3 Arum italicum pictum at the hefty price of $8.00 each. When I opened the package, the smell was unbearable! Someone had put water around each corm in a tight baggie, resulting in whitish pus oozing out. I had to cut away at least half of each corm, and now can only hope for the best. A few days ago I was asked by Yahoo to rate various merchants, among them the Hosta Farm. I gave the overall experience a "3", with subcategories as shipping, etc. 4-5 (5 is the best). I thought this was more than fair, but nevertheless, the owner called me on the phone the next day very defensive, concerned that I was "bad mouthing" his company. He told me he has not received a complaint of this nature since 1988, and that his grandson packed my order and didn't know what he was doing. Wonderful, but that has nothing to do with me. If one wants relatives to work packing plants, they obviously need to be told that corms, water, and no air circulation don't mix! The owner is sending 3 replacement bulbs next week, but unpacking the first order was so unpleasant I doubt if I'll order from this source again.
On August 26th, 2005, dave12122 added the following:

This company seems eager to please, so I decided to give them another chance. I ordered two Hostas I was looking for, one of which they had in stock. It arrived yesterday, and had a very good root system. There is a nursery one half hour from my house that also carries the same Hosta, for a comparable price, but Hosta Farm's plant was a bit bigger. They also sent FOUR replacement Arums (I had originally ordered three) as well as writing down TWO sources for the Hosta they didn't carry. It's unusual for a nursery to recommend a competitor, so I'm changing my overall rating to positive, and would do business with them again.

Company representative comment on August 19, 2005:

On Aug 19, 2005 6:59 AM, Hickory Mountain Plant Farm (Hosta Farm.com) added:

This gentleman's comments on the condition of the arum are not disputed. Obviously they were not in good condition when they arrived, due to our error. Duck's concern, which was interpreted as defensive, was that this customer had not let us know about the problem prior to describing it in the Yahoo rating system. Reading it there was our first knowledge of the problem and, of course, if we didn't know about it, we couldn't remedy it. Duck's explanation, which seems not to have been acceptable to the customer, was that apparently the packer (who happens to be our grandson) had sent the corms in a moist condition as he was accustomed to doing with the hosta. We regret this situation happened and are, as mentioned above, replacing the arum.
Duck & Greta

Positive tk2000
New York
United States
July 26, 2005
Root systems on the hostas I received were amazing. Hostas arrived on time and in excellent condition.
Positive roscoeboscoe
Hobart, IN
June 30, 2005
Great selection of hostas. The ferns were small but priced accordingly. The turnaround time from ordering to delivery was phenomonal...3 days. If you need something in a hurry this is the place to shop.
Positive judy_michigan
Pontiac, MI (Zone 6a)
June 5, 2005
I just received two hostas - Early Sunrise and Blue Ice - from them. Plants were perfect.
Positive henryr10
Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b)
May 26, 2005
I can't agree more w/ all the other comments here already.

My plants arrived in perfect condition.
They were as good or better quality than I can find had I picked them myself.
GREAT value for the Buck!

I have to especially mention the mini hosta 'Blue Mouse Ears'.
It is at almost full size and the root system amazing.
One of the other Hosta I received arrived in full bud.

Don't over-look their ferns. Superb!

I will be ordering again.

Ric
Positive Legalsec8
Cape Elizabeth, ME
May 23, 2005
I received my hostas and ferns last week and was completely happy with them. The foliage is beautiful, the root systems well developed and they arrived in perfect condition, perfectly packaged. I ordered on Monday and sent and email about getting them in time to plan on the weekend, and Duck called me the same day to let me know they would arrive in time. They certainly did, and the plants are beautiful. It was so nice to receive beautiful hostas in such a nice variety, not just the typical nursery selection. I especially love the appearance of Afternoon Delight, but several others run a close second. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeechobee, FL (Zone 9a)
May 3, 2005
Got 11 plants last fall from langbr's co-op and many filled out and bloomed in the fall.
They were packed immaculately and all had a plantmarker and beautiful healthy white roots.

On April 30, 2005 I stopped by and saw this beautiful Hosta/Fern Nursery in person. Greta, pronounced "Greeta" was very sweet and hospitable, as was Duck. They had every size Hosta imagineable, from some that would fit into a cup, to some large leaved 10 yr old plants that were half the size of a volkswagon bug.

This place was a sight to behold and I was extremly impressed by not only their plants, but their ethics and integrity. Sidney Ann McCollum
Positive oleandercatrplr
Danville, VA
April 17, 2005
Beautiful hostas with HUGE root systems. Well packed, delivered fresh and promptly - with helpful instructions. I am VERY pleased with this nursery!
Positive Lycopodium
Clermont, KY
October 27, 2004
After looking at HostaFarms online catalog a bit, and that is an amazing list, all at reasonable prices, I ordered from them. Like others, I received all very healthy plants and vigorous root systems. I planned to order again in the spring because some things were out of stock, I happened upon the fall sale and I was ordering again already. Same prompt service and healthy plants. Best wishes to Duck and Greta! I will order again.
Positive Alex_z7
Birmingham, AL
October 25, 2004
After hearing good things about the quality of the hostas shipped by Hickory Mountain, I decided to try an order. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I received my order.
They said they ship orders on Monday and Tuesday and they meant it!

The root systems were HUGE and I am very pleased w/ the quality of the plants I received. I will definitely be ordering from them again.

After paying regular prices for puny hostas from "other places", I am glad to now know who I can trust to send high quality plants in exchange for a good price. I'm sold on Hickory Mountain Farms.
Positive amr0719
North Webster, IN (Zone 5b)
October 21, 2004
Got the chance to order during their fall sale. Good selection for end of year and great prices. Received plants promptly and well packaged. Plants look great for end of year and I look forward to having them in my garden. Would order again from them!
Positive DaisyPeach
(Zone 6b)
October 17, 2004
I am an avid hosta grower and collector, I order from several online companies every year. I heard about a fall sale at Hosta Farm and decided to give them a try by buying a few of their sale hostas. I was very impressed with the size and quality of their plants, they all had exceptional root systems and were extremely healthy, shipped with leaves even this late in the season. The hostas were all packed well and labeled. E-mails to the company are promptly responded to. I wouldn't hesitate to order from this company again, four star service and product!
Positive langbr
Olathe, KS (Zone 6a)
October 5, 2004
I hosted a plant co-op throught the HostaFarm in August and Greta was a treasure to work with. Extremely professional, very on top of things and communication was top-notch. Plants were extremely healthy with extensive root systems. Participants were overjoyed with their purchases and a few even ordered a second time before the co-op ended! (can't provide better feedback than a return customer!!).

I highly recommend the HostaFarm and anyone purchasing will NOT be disappointed. TWO big up!
Positive ergalo
Cape Girardeau, MO
September 17, 2004
I ordered both hostas and ferns from the Hosta Farm this summer. The service and shipping couldn't be better and every single plant was just beautiful. I was very impressed with the health and size of the plants. I would most definitely recommend them and certainly intend to order from them again.
Positive ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ (Zone 7a)
September 12, 2004
You just can't go wrong with plant's from these folk's!!!

This is my 2nd year ordering from The Hosta Farm and both time's I recieved BIG, Healthy plant's!

They have a GREAT selection of Hosta and Fern's, and the customer service is FANTASTIC!

They will be seeing another order (or 2) from me next year!!

Positive SuzannesFlowers
Woodstock, GA (Zone 7b)
September 12, 2004
Beautiful plants, huge root systems. I planted them, had some rain and two days later three plants had blooms. Absolutely beautiful, I definately got what i paid for. Great packaging, Great business.

On September 16th, 2005, SuzannesFlowers added the following:

Sept 16- this is my third order. I ordered a few weeks ago for the second time and my plants were beautiful. Just today got my third order and they are awesome plants, cant say enough good things about them. Recieved a packet on hosta care as well as a hand written note as to how to care for the arum i ordered. That is terrific customer service. Thanks again hostafarm.
Positive frstbrn24
Warwick, RI
August 26, 2004
HOSTA FARM sent excellent plants~ I ordered three, received huge plants and a bonus plant! I ordered hostas from six different sources this summer and by far they gave the best service, the best prices and the best plants! I highly recommend them!
Positive kierla
Seattle, WA (Zone 8a)
June 14, 2004
I had a great experience with this company. I ordered 8 different hostas. They were in excellent condition. The leaves were still on the plant so you could see what you ordered and there lots a roots. Some of them were even blooming! They even sent me a free plant. I got them all in the ground right away and they are doing very well. I will definitely order from them again!
Positive leslie
Omaha, NE (Zone 5a)
May 17, 2004
I recently received my first order from the Hosta Farm. The hostas were very healthy, and I was very happy with the size. They sent a bonus hosta with my order. I will be ordering from them again.
Positive chevy57
May 7, 2004
Received my order this week from Hickory Mountain Plant Farm.
They were the best hosta that I have ever ordered.
Beautiful huge leaves and the roots were giant.
Simply put "Outstanding"
They are the most courteous people out there and so accomodating.
If you haven't ordered from them before, give them a try.
You will be amazed at what you receive.
Positive vegman
January 8, 2004
I have nothing but good to say about this company. I purchased a good number of hostas from them and they were the healthiest, most beautiful of any hostas I have purchased elsewhere. The roots were fantastic and I look forward to seeing them this spring! The service and shipping is excellent, in fact the shipping is so reliable you can have your ground all prepared to plant your new hostas. No wondering when your order will show up whatsoever.

Many thanks to Garden Watch Dog for this invaluable service to all of us in the gardening community!!!
Positive silverstar
October 19, 2003
These are the best hostas I have ever bought mail order.
They arrived quickly and were big with gorgeous roots. They have a great selection too. Nicely packaged, I made add.

Kudos to Hosta farm! I will be getting more from them next spring. It's hard to choose from so many;-).

Positive paulhunter
October 12, 2003
The best hostas I have ever orderd via the net and I am very picky. The hostas I received were not only robust but some were able to be divided already! I will be buying more from this top notch company! They take their hostas as seriously as I do. That says it all.
Positive grizzly
October 3, 2003
These are the best hostas I have ever recieved via mailorder. Not only were they big, they had huge root systems and quite a few were several plants in a clump. I was overjoyed and recommend Hosta Farms to everyone. I will definitely be ordering more.

Adam
Positive jwberns
Summit, NJ (Zone 7a)
September 29, 2003
I do a lot of plant mail-order (I am very particular about the varieties I plant), so it means something when I say I don't think I've ever seen such robust-looking plants for the money. Selection is extensive, and service and communication were impeccable. Thanks, Duck and Greta (and thanks, Garden Watchdog for steering me in their direction)!
Positive njlamp
August 23, 2003
I have ordered with them twice and both times the plants were in excellent shape. The order was exactly right. Some of the Hostas were alot bigger than I expected at all. This is a wonderful company and I will definately be ordering from them again!!
Positive urbanfarmer
July 3, 2003
This was my first order with Hosta Farm. I was a bit leary of ordering hostas on line. Boy was off base on that. The plants are just gorgeous and big! I am one satisfied customer and I recommend Hosta Farm to other GDW members. In time I think they will become a real force on line for hostaphiles. The plants arrived exactly when they said they would and that is critical. One that I bought is called "Vanilla Creme" and it is stunning...........well they all are.

Give them a try, you will not be disappointed.
Positive primordial
June 27, 2003
Hosta Farms has a marvelous selection of hostas. I purchased 12 different varities for my collection. They arrived carefully packed and right when they said they would, so I was ready to plant them. The pleasant surprise was the size of the plants! They were large with beautiful roots. I couldn't be more pleased and want to tell others about this great hosta source. Duck and Greta really put some sweat equity into these quality hotas. I'll be back............
Positive esotericat
May 10, 2003
Talk about a great mailorder place for hostas!!! I have already received my first order, planted them and they look wonderful. I can't stress enough the quality plants and service of this company plus the prices are most reasonable. Give them a try, you will not be disappointed. I tried them due to the feedback here at Garden Watch Dog.

Sam
Positive oginaz
February 1, 2003
A friend told me about this place. I ordered hostas and they were fabulous and reasonably priced. The packing was excellent. What more can I say!