The scoop on 'BestNest.com'

BestNest.com

1923 Berkshire Road
Cincinnati, Ohio 45230 (United States)

Phone: 1-877-369-5446

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies.

Company Comment, posted on May 12, 2011:
Please visit more accurate reviews of BestNest and its service by visiting BizRate.com, a third party online retailer review site.

Comments:

Negative TitusTheDog
Pleasant Hill, CA
June 28, 2014
BestNest.com is a total RipOff! I recently ordered a 50-lb bag of Medium Sunflower Chips from Bestnest.com, cost $119.99. I received a shipment from BestNest.com, which my husband opened. He opened the very heavy bag of birdseed that was shipped and filled feeders. I quickly noticed the birds were not eating the seed, and that it looked different. I checked the bag and found that BestNest.com did not ship the Sunflower Chips I ordered, but rather shipped a 50-lb bag of SAFFLOWER Seed. My wild birds will not eat it. I immediately contacted BestNest.com and emailed them everything they asked for: a photo of the packing slip (which clearly show that a 50-lb bag of Medium SUNFLOWER chips was supposed to be shipped to me), my receipt showing that I ordered a 50-lb bag of Medium Sunflower Chips and was charged $119.99 for it; a photo of the wrongly shipped Safflower birdseed; a photo of the UPS shipping label; and 2 photos of writing on the shipping cardboard box. I offered to return the birdseed I received; BestNest.com refused. They have also refused to send the 50-lb bag of Medium Sunflower Chips that I
ordered, and for which I paid $119.99. They also have not refunded the $119.99 birdseed price to me, the price for the Medium Sunflower Chips I did not receive. To make matters worse, the 50-lb Safflower Birdseed is $30 less ($89.99) than the 50-lb Medium Sunflower Chips. So even if wanted to keep the Safflower Seed (which I do not and did not order), BestNest.com would be overcharging me $30! This is theft from BestNest.com on so many levels. I have lodged a dispute with American Express regarding stopping payment for this item, and also with the Cincinnati BBB. I no longer want the Sunflower Seeds; I want the $119.99 purchase price refunded.
Negative photorobinson
Albany, CA
March 11, 2013
My merchandise arrived damaged, due to faulty packaging. The company first suggested I buy some Rustoleum and treat the scrapes myself. I declined. They were willing to accept the product back for an exchange, but refused to cover the mailing costs. They did suggest I might want to keep the damaged goods for a "generous discount," but would not tell me what the discount was. Instead, they asked me to suggest a reasonable discount for their review.

I was not interested in paying any costs for damage caused by their poor packaging, nor did I want to try and negotiate a reduced price for damaged goods. The suggestion that I cover up the damage myself was amazing-not my idea of 100% customer satisfaction. I will not use this company again.
Positive Joseph_Cincy
Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a)
September 19, 2012
BestNest has excellent prices and a wide inventory, and I have ordered from them several times for birding, "batting," and pond supplies. One must order online, but they do allow for local pickup. So, I have been to their warehouse many times. The staff has always been friendly, and the operation seemed pretty efficient.
Negative ump69
Raymond, ME
March 9, 2012
I ordered a "squirrel stumper' bird feeder, expecting that it would at least slow down the squirrels from emptying the feeder. It does not in any way "stump" squirrels. Within a half hour of my filling and hanging this feeder, there were 2 fat squirrels hanging on it and feeding away. Very disappointing.

Negative jad2011
West Bradenton, FL
July 25, 2011
I am in the wrong business, as BestNest is a true Racket - bought some trellis that arrived in the most beat up box imaginable, trellis not what was advertised and then had to PAY shipping to return, plus my FREE shipping was deducted from my credit card, so a $200 purchase with FREE shipping cost me nearly $150 to return the items - then the "helpful" service manager told me simply to donate the stuff and get a tax deduction...of all the nerve - a completely crappy company and experience - DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!
Positive bjplack
Benton County, AR (Zone 6b)
March 13, 2010
My first purchase with BestNest with no complaints.
I recieved a Trellis/Planter in 4 days of ordering. It was packed well, and is ready for Clematis.
Positive henryr10
Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b)
August 13, 2009
First off I am in no way affiliated w/ this company.

Today was my first experience w/ them.
And I can't speak to the quality of anything but pond supplies.
Bought a pond liner and filter.
Both at about 15% less than the other sources and free shipping.
Both were exactly as advertised.

I checked w/ another Dave's Member and they also had a positive experience.
They ordered by 12 noon... delivered next day.

I do though have a bit of an edge.
The company is located minutes away from my house.
Rather than wait for shipping we just picked up our order.

I found out from the employees they had recently moved to this location from a smaller facility across town.
The warehouse was clean, orderly and has plenty of room for expansion.
Here's hoping they have many years of success.
Negative jplittle
West Palm Beach, FL
June 24, 2009
I ordered a bird feeder from this company. It arrived fast. However the quality was lacking and I returned it to them. Now they are playing games with me as to refund. I simply want a refund less the shipping to me. They want to give me some form of gift certificate. This is worthless to me as I will not be buying from them again. I would sugges that you be quite sure about them before you order anything here.
Negative PREYNOLDS
Grapevine, TX
March 20, 2009
I ordered a birdbath and received the wrong one. After 10 days of back and forth, my correct item still has not been shipped. They finally said they e-mailed me a return label and that until I send the wrong item back, the correct item will not be shipped. I am cancelling my order. As a 1st time user, I realize mistakes happen. You are judged on how you handle those mistakes.
Positive denisemb
Ocala, FL (Zone 9a)
August 24, 2008
I've recently placed two orders with totally positive results.

First order consisted of two vinyl combination trellis/planters which arrived within 3 days in perfect condition. Second order was another vinyl trellis, 3 pots and 4 hangers. Again, shipment was swift and complete. I found the prices favorable in comparison to other sources and was able to utilize their free shipping.
Negative paw25
Columbia, CT
August 22, 2008
I purchased a feeder that was damaged in shipment by their poor packaging, not by any fault of the shipper. BestNest refuses to accept responsibility for their mistake, but rather, is determined to blame the shipper for this mistake. I am still waiting for a replacement feeder. Customer service is a foreign concept to these people. Do yourselves a favor and find a different company to deal with...one that cares about their customers and strives to do the right thing. I will have to resort to using my credit card company to get this issue resolved.
Negative flygolf
Young Harris, GA
July 25, 2008
I ordered a solar birdbath for my wife as a Mothers day gift. I t came, worked for a week, final after many phone calls they replaced the solar panel, worked for another week, then stopped. BestNest said they would not provde a refund or replace. Said to take our problem up with the manufacturer. DON'T buy from these folks.
Negative haskellama
Colton, CA
May 11, 2007
I just had the WORST customer service experience with BestNest. I purchased a product, followed the enclosed instructions, and when the product did not work as promised, I called to request a return code. I was told by both the customer service agent and the manager that they will not accept returns on products if they have been used--even if they are broken. I have never had a problem returning any item to any store for any reason before. They were rude and unhelpful and I would NEVER recommend their business to anyone.
Negative Twonewfs
Belgium, WI (Zone 5a)
April 26, 2007
I ordered some expandable willow fencing and a bird feeder. The shipping was very fast (as it should be from two states away), and the fencing was fine, but the bird feeder was a huge disappointment. It was described as "copper" and for $53 I would have thought it was, but turned out to be copper-colored plastic that was very cheap looking. The larger problem was that the top was very scratched. I e-mailed the company and was told they do not charge shipping retroactively (I was concerned because I had taken advantage of a free shipping over $75 deal and the fencing alone was $74.97). I was also told they could have the manufacturer ship me a new top for the feeder.

Unfortuantely, I need a feeder now (the migratory birds are coming through within days) and didn't want to wait for parts. When I called to get a return authorization number (a hassle that took more than 20 minutes on the phone with them) I was told that in addition to them not paying for the return shipping back to them (as I have come to expect from mail order companies when dealing with a damaged item) I would have the amount of the original shipping deducted from my refund. I was told this amount was $9.50 and it didn't matter if the item was damaged. That also doesn't wash, since original shipping (that was waived with the deal) was $17.11, and shipping just for the fence (which I kept) would have been $14.57, a different of $2.43 NOT $9.50. Additionally I was told that all the feeders they had were scratched in a similar way, therefore they didn't feel the feeder was damaged. This tells me that they make a habit of sending out knowingly damaged merchandise.

Other than offering to have the manufacturer send a new top, they made no attempt whatsoever to come to a resolution with me. Additional emails I have sent them to try to come to a resolution have been ignored. This is the single worst experience I've had with a mail order company in more than 15 years of doing LOTS of mail order shopping. I will never buy from them again, as they have bilked me out of almost $18 and tried to stick me with an overpriced, cheaply made product that they knew was defective when they mailed it.

Stay away ... you can find almost every product they have somewhere else for a better or comparable price and it's not worth the chance you take dealing with a company like this.
On May 30th, 2007, Twonewfs added the following:

Just wanted to update this and say that letters and emails complaining again regarding this have continued to go unanswered. This company claims to be a "christian-based" company. Apparently to them that means stealing from people and providing lousy quality products.
On February 28th, 2008, Twonewfs added the following:

Please note that rather than address the problems mentioned on this Web site, as many other retailers do, BestNest chose instead to come up with a way to post so that they could give themselves a positive rating. Wow ... way to go BestNest, show those true colors.
Positive ceresone
Willow Springs, MO (Zone 6b)
February 6, 2005
i've only sent one order, but for me, it was a large one--ordered the "wild bill's "bird feeder, that shocks squirels, or at least its supposed to, not real sure how happy i am with it, but one of my other feeders arrived without a feed port, i e-maled the company, and they answered right back, said they would contact the maker of the feeder, i didnt hear in a couple of weeks, e-mailed them again, and she agreed i should have had it by then, so she contacted the maker again, and in just a few days, it arrived. altogether, i believe everything was handled very professionaly, and i will order from them again
Positive mlm01
St. Louis, MO (Zone 5b)
February 5, 2005
My order shipped very fast and the correspondence was great! The web site is also very well organized. I will use this company again.