The scoop on 'Jelitto Seeds'

Jelitto Seeds

125 Chenoweth Ln, Suite 301
Louisville, Kentucky 40207 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on October 10, 2002:
Jelitto's involvement worldwide includes production, breeding and seed technology for perennial flower seeds. Extensive offering of over 2900 items for the wholesale nursery and greenhouse trade. Homeowners can order online.

Comments:

Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
July 24, 2013
I have recently discovered Jelitto as a reliable source of quality, hard-to-find seeds. Customer service has been friendly and efficient and the seeds themselves have excellent germination rates.

I have especially enjoyed their Gold Nugget selections of pre-treated seeds that do not require cold stratification. It has been a quick and convenient way to start many desirable plants from seed over the summer!

Whenever I am looking for seeds in the future, Jelitto will be one of the first sources I turn to.
Positive KillarneyISH
Prospect, KY
January 7, 2013
I have been ordering seeds from Jelitto for a number of years, and would never order perennial seeds from anyone else. The germination rate is fantastic - I always wind up with vastly more seedlings than I can deal with. I greatly appreciate their germination method numbering system, which lets me know which seeds I can easily start in my basement greenhouse. Their US customer service is excellent.
Positive radu
Cranberry Twp, PA (Zone 5b)
January 20, 2006
This is a top notch company. Not only do they have an extensive catalog of unusual plants, their seed is of the best quality with very high germination rates. They also have excellent customer service; they're my first choice for seed orders.
Positive hillfarm
Quesnel, BC (Zone 4a)
October 24, 2005
I operate a small specialty perennial & herb nursery, & have been growing plants from seed on a large scale for over 20 years. Needless to say I have dealt with MANY seed companies over this time.

Jelitto has the largest selection bar none of any company I've found and their quantities are generous & germination information/support (as well as actual germination of the seed) is excellent.

They carry a line of pre-treated/ready-to-sprout seed that they designate "Gold Nugget" seed & though this is very pricey the results more than justify the extra cost.

Yes, Jelitto's prices & shipping costs can be "expensive" but the seed you buy actually sprouts & grows & the selection is top of the line. (Make sure you read the germination codes by each seed listing, though. They do identify tricky ones & even with viable seed some species are very challenging to sprout.)

I highly recommend this company to serious perennial growers, "amateur" or "professional".

One other thing; Jelitto does provide USDA Zone listings for the species listed. BUT in my experience I have found that they tend to be quite conservative in their Zone recommendations. Some of the plants are hardier than it looks like from the Jelitto listings. Good idea to doublecheck with other sources/reference books if Jelitto's Zone recommendations "put you off" - you may be pleasantly surprised.
Positive kanikka
Carvel
Canada
February 21, 2005
Third time ordering, third time happy. Speedy service, good qualtities and good germination.
Positive jakestick1
New York, NY (Zone 6a)
October 25, 2004
Best seed company I have ever delt with bought seeds for over 10 years. Germination is great best value you can find
Positive Vouty
LIGUEIL
France
August 17, 2004
Excellent supplier. As a small garden nursery, we buy seed from all over the world and this company is the best we have dealt with. Good quality seed, decent sized portions (50-100 seed minimum) and superbly efficient service. Not the cheapest, but definitely the best.
Positive Windhaven
Galva, IL
February 7, 2004
I have bought seeds from this company for several years and I must say that although it is more costly to buy and ship from overseas, the selection and the quality of their seed make it worth it. I always have a higher germination rate from them than for most seed company's and their smallest quantity is always very generous. I can't say enough good about this company and my dealings with them.
Positive Cynthiascat
Catonsville, MD
December 13, 2003
Absolutely the BEST! Incredible variety of seeds, high quality, fresh, and good quantities. This is where you find the seeds you can't find anywhere else. It's a candy store :-) Excellent germination tables. Yes, pricey. You get what you pay for here though. Do combine your order with a friend if you're in the US as the minimum order is 40 Euros (about 48USD currently) and fees are high. You won't be disappointed. I can't believe no one else has commented on this great seed source.