The scoop on 'Big Dipper Farm'

26130 SE Green Valley Rd
Black Diamond, Washington 98010 (United States)

Phone: 360.886.8253

Visit Big Dipper Farm at:

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark All of the phone numbers for Big Dipper farm have been disconnected. If anyone has info concerning the status of this vendor, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page to inform our editors.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive nimak99
April 25, 2014
Big Dipper Farm had great collection of plants. Always mailed healthy big plants for very cheap price. They even placed gel in the soil so plants did not dry out. However, In 2012 summer they closed the nursery. I miss them still and haven't found a substitute. Wondered why they closed down when they provided good service.

My web search showed that the owner has now started a Medical Marijuana Market called MMJ Universe. It has the same slogan as Big Dipper Farm, "Grown on the third planet". One commentor said the voice message sounds like the person was drunk. May the person wasn't drunk but .....

Sad indeed.
Positive kkirschbaum
Yonkers, NY (Zone 6b)
April 8, 2013
Posted on June 20, 2007, updated April 8, 2013
I ordered a few items from them online. Their stock list is very interesteding and varied, so it's hard to resist. It is a bit frustrating though that once you press the button to order you more or less have to wait patiently for the plants to show up in their own good time - they clearly discourage too much customer pestering about 'when will my order ship'. Nevertheless, everything arrived in good shape at a time appropriate for planting, and a gift of lavender was included. One buddleia ended up never breaking dormancy, and once I emailed about this, I received a refund check promptly.
On April 8th, 2013, kkirschbaum added the following:

It appears that Big Dipper is out of business - their website seems to have shut down.
Negative estomd
Salem, OR
January 9, 2013
I e-mailed and called them several times over a one year period about plants that I paid for but did not receive. They never responded. The voice on the message machine sounded like the person was drunk. I will never shop here again.
Negative daylilylady2012
Minor Hill, TN
August 16, 2012
I placed an order with Big Dipper in Sept 2011, when I received my order I was quite satisfied with the quality of the plants and have been well pleased with them since then. The problem I have is that I have tried 4 times (emailed 3 times and called and left message once) to contact them about the honeysuckle I received which is not the one I order. I ordered a RED honeysuckle which did not bloom until mid July when I found out it was YELLOW. I immediately emailed the company and after receiving no response I emailed again-same result. So I called and got their answering machine which says "Our hours have been reduced to a few days a week, leave your name & number or email from the website (must be a joke) and we'll get back to you as soon as possible (2 or 3 months maybe?)." It's been two weeks or more since I left a message for them to call me. I have tried to call several more times hoping to catch someone there but no luck.

All I am wanting is a red honeysuckle as they guarantee their plants to be true to name. If they want this yellow one back I will dig it up and send it back. I never even mentioned the plants that did not survive the winter-bleeding heart, agastache 'Red Fortune', ajuga 'Arctic Fox' and buddleia 'Buzz Violet'. I do not expect plants to be replaced because I may have planted them in the wrong spot or something. I do however expect some kind of response to my attempts to contact. I also expect when I order something that I will get what I ordered or a refund of any money paid for that item.

I guess I'll have to order a red honeysuckle from someone else and accept my loss. I doubt very much that I will do business with them again and I would not recommend them to any of my friends. I probably should stick to ordering from Dave’s top 30.
Negative mendels_friend
Starkville, MS
June 27, 2012
I received a package (on a Friday), opened it. Two species listed as IN STOCK on the website were not included because they were SOLD OUT (in fairness, I was not charged.). Third, I purchased Eupatorium - 'Baby Joe', they send Baptisia instead, but labelled as Eupatorium. So, I ordered 5 species; two were out of stock, and a third species was wrong. Not good when a majority of my order wasn't processed. I responded informing them of the mistake on the following Monday. Four days later, I haven't heard anything from Big Dipper. I won't order from them again.
Positive todbo
Colchester, CT (Zone 6b)
May 22, 2012
I ordered four heirloom fuchsias.They arrived promptly via Priority mail, nicely packed in plastic bags and damp newspapers. The leaves were green, the roots were properly moist and supple, and within days after I popped the first two in the ground, the leafy buds began to open.
Positive lblackwell
Reidsville, NC
May 15, 2012
Plants received in about 2 weeks. Excellent communication. Plants healthy and arrived in good condition with identification tags on every plant. This company has plants you can not find else where. I will order from them again. The order I placed was over $200.
Positive Kiwi_Man
Thomson, GA (Zone 8a)
March 27, 2012
Feb 11, 2012 ordered Big Dipper Farms Hardy Kiwi Plants - Actinidia arguta 'Ananasnaya' - Kiwi Vine, Female and Actinidia arguta var. cordifolia - Kiwi Vine, Female on Amazon They were promptly shipped and I received them on Feb. 17, 2012. Both kiwi's were in excellent shape. Planted them and they continued to prosper, even through a hard frost. I recommend them because hardy kiwi plants are very expensive and both female plants with shipping were $24.91. I will order from them again.
Positive mielbee12
March 22, 2012
The prices are reasonable and shipping was less expensive than other nurserys and just as fast. The plants are the size I expected, but with impressive roots. I have to mention that the huckleberry bushes that I ordered were surprisingly beautiful! I would have ordered more plants, but they run out of some of their best plants early on since the prices are so good. Next year I won't hesitate to order early!
Positive gardener31111
New Lebanon, OH
November 7, 2011
I placed a large order with The Big Dipper Farm earlier this summer and 3 of the hellorborus plants did not grow. I sent an email to Deidre and she asked me to wait until fall and if they still did not grow she would replace them. I sent a note on a Thursday to request replacement and they arrived on Tuesday. I really appreciated the fast service.

I find The Big Dipper Farm has many hard-to-find plants and have always been pleased with their products and service.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
August 20, 2011
Posted on May 21, 2007, updated August 20, 2011
This nursery is very caring and accomodating. They were very helpful in correcting a mishap that was not their fault. The plants I received were impressive. I will definitely order from them again.
On May 8th, 2009, psychloman added the following:

I order from big dipper every year, they send out great plants and are helpful if a problem arises.They e mailed me when my package was shipped this month and it arrived quickly. Their fuchsias are top notch.They're still one of my favorites
On May 8th, 2009, psychloman added the following:

On August 20th, 2011, psychloman added the following:

Received four nice plants very quickly. One of my favorite nurseries.
Positive mikesmets
Waterbury, CT
July 29, 2011
I just placed an order with this company through Amazon.com. The plant was perfectly packaged and arrived in excellent condition. I would order from them again.
Positive Bludwyn
Holbrook, NY
July 16, 2011
Posted on November 9, 2010, updated July 16, 2011
I was very pleased with the hardy fuchsia I ordered from this company. They arrived in excellent condition, rooted in and flowered beautifully this summer. I plan to order again the next gardening season.
On July 16th, 2011, Bludwyn added the following:

I just received 5 more hardy fuchsia: all arrived healthy with a moist root pack. I read other's comments of not receiving product when expected, and a lack of response from the nursery: also, I read the explanation offered by the nursery. I did receive helpful information from the owner via email, and Im very happy with the new fuchsia. I would not hesitate to order from them.
Negative Gardencloud
Tustin, CA
July 13, 2011
Posted on July 3, 2011, updated July 13, 2011
I placed an order on June 18 and have verified with my credit card records that the charge has been processed as of June 20. So far, I have emailed them twice asking for a status on my order and have not received a response. When I called their phone number there was no answer and no way to leave a message either. I have not done business with this company before and took a chance when I saw their online catalog. I wish I had read some of the comments on this blog before placing the order. I am hoping to receive the order soon and in good condition. I am concerned about the weather getting warmer for transportation of plants. I am also concerned about having paid (over $65) for plants that may never get here and for non-responsive service which is not my experience with other online vendors.
On July 13th, 2011, Gardencloud added the following:

The plants I ordered on June 18 arrived today (July 13). The plants arrived in reasonable condition, except for one of them which had all the stems broken due to a tight packing job. I am not sure if it will grow, only time will tell. One of the plants that is in reasonable condition is only about 3 inches tall while the website, and the packing list, says it would be 8-10 inches. I am thus disappointed by both the lack of communication from this company as I stated before (I was not contacted even after posting a comment here) and by the quality of their product. If the plants thrive in a couple of months after I plant them, I will post another comment.
Negative carolstropicals
Bellaire, TX
July 7, 2011
The only Good thing about this company is that they use paypal. When I didn't receive my order after almost 3 weeks, I opened a dispute case with paypal. Paypal emailed Big Dipper Farms saying that the order was not received. In the meantime I just decided that I didn't want their plants and notified BDF that I didn't want the order. 2 or 3 days later they suddenly emailed me saying that the plants were being sent. I don't want their plants and now they are here. Paypal will get my money back plus shipping and I guess I will mail them back. This problem is still in process.
Also they misrepresented a plant I received. I have at least 100 of the same plant (pink phlox). YUK !!
Neutral shawnolesen
June 23, 2011
Posted on June 23, 2011, updated June 23, 2011
I ordered "in stock" plants 2 months ago. Still have not received, nor do they answer the phone or emails
I think this company is failing and I would strongly suggest you do not use them
I filed a complaint at BBB of WA.
On June 23rd, 2011, shawnolesen changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I was wrong. It wasn't couple of months but actually only 20 days and I apologize for my mistake. Big Dipper contacted me and told me they were scheduled to be shipped right away and I should receive it real soon
Negative snickers789
Delton, MI
June 3, 2011
Ordered 8 plants on Jan 29, 2011 to be shipped first week of May. Paid $104.75 thru Paypal. Haven't heard a thing since. I've e-mailed 5 times & gotten no responce. I used to love this company & their plants, but looks like this is the end of the line. I will file a complaint with Paypal even though its been over 45 days, another mistake I've learned a lesson on. What a shame.
On Jun 9, 2011 8:33 AM, Big Dipper Farm responded with:

Sorry again for the delay Larry. Hope you've received your shipment by now and that you like that new variety.

Dear Gardening Friends and Customers,
Well folks, it's been a tough spring and I wanted to post an explanation. We lost our office manager at peak season with 2 days notice and no chance to replace her. (She got a better job, much closer to home, that isn't seasonal and we're glad for her but... ouch.) We’ve also been struggling with one of the coldest springs on record here which set all of the plants back by several weeks, so we got behind filling orders and everyone here is out pulling, packing and shipping so the emails and calls aren't being handled properly.
A couple of our valued suppliers closed their doors so many of our hard-to-find varieties were cancelled on us sending us into a last minute scramble to replace those varieties, and the recession has made it impossible to simply load up with extra employees.
We are getting caught up with shipping and have made some major changes going forward that will NEVER allow this 'perfect storm' of a spring to happen again.
I want to humbly apologize to my loyal customers and the many long distance friends we’ve made over the years for any difficulty that our shipping delay has caused in your garden.
Thank you so very much for your kind patience and I hope you have a glorious gardening summer.

Positive Eric_OH
Columbus, OH (Zone 6a)
May 31, 2011
I ordered plants for the first time from this nursery this spring (several hardy fuchsias).

Two of the plants looked fine; a third was droopy and I reported this by e-mail in case a replacement was needed later on, but got no answer (the droopy/partially wilted plant recovered nicely and has put on healthy new growth).

Bottom line is that I'm pleased with the order and would consider doing business with them again. Based on my own experience and what others are saying, Big Dipper could do with better communication, for instance indicating ahead of time when shipments are scheduled to go out.
Negative GardenMad
Sterling, VA
May 23, 2011
I placed an order on April 16. The plants were marked as available (still are). 38 days later, I still don't have them. I have sent three emails, as their website specifically says they can prefer email than phone calls. I even forwarded the purchase confirmation they sent me, with the order number, and PayPal confirms the payment was taken. I am ready to request a refund through PayPal and am so disappointed in this company. I almost didn't order from them because of their "2-3 week" claim on shipping. Had I known it would be over 5 weeks, I never would have ordered. It's an unusual plant and hard to locate, but at this point, I don't feel there's any guarantee I'm going to get them at all and it's very soon going to be too hot to plant anything new. If there was some problem with the order, or if they're super backed up, they could state that somewhere or send an auto email. There's a big difference between "2-3 weeks" and over 5. Very, very disappointing.
On Jun 9, 2011 8:43 AM, Big Dipper Farm responded with:

Hi Beth, Again, very sorry for the delay but I'm glad you finally have your plants in the ground. Let me know if there's any problem. -Deidre

Negative mvela
Chicago, IL
May 18, 2011
I placed two orders on April 30th. The website asks that you read the preferred shipping dates so that the product arrives in good condition and so periods of frost are avoided. It is now May 18th, and we are well past the preferred shipping dates for all the plants I ordered and well past any frost concerns. Paypal has definitely charged me, I've got both emails and credit card charges to verify this!
I have tried calling, their answering message says they are a ship only nursery now (no visitors allowed) AND they are too busy to answer calls. They suggest emailing. I tried emailing last week and got no response.
All of this has made me very suspicious and dissatisfied--not with their product, as I havent SEEN it yet, but with their lack of customer service.
I guess I will go back to Spring HIll nursery.
On Jun 9, 2011 8:50 AM, Big Dipper Farm responded with:

Hi Monica, I know you're received your plants and once again, very sorry for the delay. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you. -Deidre

Negative fernfarmer
Poulsbo, WA
May 5, 2011
I ordered four plants 5 1/2 weeks ago. Big Dipper's website said plants normally are shipped this time of year in 2 to 3 weeks. It has now been 5 1/2 weeks and I have received neither the plants nor any communication from the company. I have left e-mail and voicemail messages asking what the status of my order is. They were unanswered. I have reported the failure to deliver and lack of communication to PayPal and my Visa card issuer, they have not received a response yet either. Even giving Big Dipper the benefit of the doubt that something wasn't ready to ship and they held up my entire order, I recommend avoiding this company due to their lack of commitment to communication and customer service.
On Jun 9, 2011 8:55 AM, Big Dipper Farm responded with:

In your case Linda, the extremely cold spring here delayed the ferns by several weeks. You opted for a full refund which was completed. Once again, I've very sorry for the inconvenience it caused you. -Deidre

Negative junepeony4me
Hope, ME
April 20, 2011
I placed an order March 4, 2011 for 4 items,2 bletilla ochracea Chinese Butterfly Orchid and 2 Bletilla striata Kuchibeni Chinese ground orchid. I received a e-mail confirmation immediately. There was a mistake on confirmation, I e-mailed company pointing out error. They responded very quickly again making changes and asked for payment, I chose to pay with check. Check was sent March 7,2011. I have sent 2 emails asking about shipping giving my order number and contact e mail asking for reply. I have not heard from them. I have tried calling several times, no luck. their phone is replying "all long distance lines are not working" I am in process of trying to send a fax to them. I am really wondering what happened to my order and why they have not responded to e mails.
Neutral paulng
Bothell, WA
April 13, 2011
Posted on April 13, 2011, updated April 13, 2011
I order some plants 3 weeks ago. There is no information as to when I would get them. When I call them for information, the staff is extremely rude and unhelpful.
On April 13th, 2011, paulng changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

This is an amazing website as just moments after I posted this message, Big Dipper Farm called me! Based on our conversation, I need to clarify a couple of things.
1. Deidra (sp?) from Big Dipper Farm nicely indicated that she was not rude, just multi tasking and did not have time to help do research to a question I was asking when she directed me to another website, their "breeder" nursery. My expectation of nurseries is that they know the plants and are able to answer questions. Maybe this is wrong on my part.
2. There is no proof that I placed the order 3 weeks ago. Paypal charged my credit card account on 4/3, which I know islater than when I placed the order. How much later, I have no records of. When found out I live in WA, the nursery said they can ship within a few days. My question still is, they got a week and a half (from 4/3 to 4/13) to process my order, if I did not post this message, how much longer would I have to wait?
Finally, thank you for setting up this website - wonderful tool to get response!
Positive grammyto15
Newberg, OR
March 24, 2011
Posted on March 22, 2011, updated March 24, 2011
About 2 weeks ago we placed an order and requested shipping as soon as possible(one of the choices offered). There's been no confirmation or feedback of any kind, no response to our e-mail, and when we placed calls to 2 different phone numbers listed on the web site we find these to be disconnected...no longer in service. We are very disappointed in their lack of communication and responsiveness. We merely wish to know when our plants will be shipped, but have no satisfactory way of making contact.
On March 24th, 2011, grammyto15 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

It was interesting that within one hour of posting my comment above, we received an e-mail stating that our order was on its way, shipped that same day. The plants arrived today, packed well, in good condition and apparently healthy.
Upon further conversation with Deirdre, it was determined that an automatic confirmation of order did not go out with the PayPal confirmation because I didn't go back to the website to complete the order, thus it was left as pending. It's unfortunate that it becomes so complicated, but we are pleased with the end result.
The number that was disconnected had been on this (Dave's garden) website and was an old number, per Deirdre, that will be updated.
Company representative comment on March 22, 2011:
On Mar 22, 2011 2:18 PM, Big Dipper Farm responded with:

Dear Grammy Gardener,
We can't find any phone number on the website other than the correct one. 360.886.8253 Please call today if possible as the office staff are only here today and tomorrow. Most orders are shipped on Tues & Wed so it may have already gone out.
Please call Grammy. Thank you.

Positive FernFreek
Duvall, WA
November 6, 2010
I've been buying ferns from Big Dipper Farm for years and thought it was time to give them a word of thanks. Their selection is great, prices are low, packaging is wonderful and my emails have always been answered promptly and professionally. I will ONLY buy my ferns from them and wanted to offer my thumbs up. Thank you!
Neutral BobPlant
Melrose, MA
August 11, 2010
I have bought a few times from this company. Not very communicative. Plants are usually small but healthy. Take time to establish. Plants are always delivered well packaged. If the company adjusts the price for the actual size of plants I would purchase again. However, most plants can be sourced from other vendors.
Positive junebug20
Van Nuys, CA
July 26, 2010
I placed my first order online with Big Dipper Farm on July 8, 2010. I paid through PayPal and the money was deducted from my account immediately. Despite the fact it says on the BDF website that they will send an email confirming your order, I NEVER received one.

On July 9, 2010, I decided to add two more shrubs to my order and so I sent an email to the address provided on the BDF website. Again, I never received a reply to my email or my order, but I did get an email from PayPal entitled "order additions." That was all the communication I had with BDF.

From that time until July 20, 2010 I spent wondering when I would receive my order and what condition it would be in since I had absolutely no communication with BDF. On July 20, 2010, I received an email from UPS on behalf of BDF informing me that my order had shipped and was expected to arrive on July 23, 2010.

My order arrived via UPS on July 23, 2010. I immediately unpacked the the box. I ordered 5 redtwig dogwood shrubs, 2 trillium rhizomes, and 1 Lily of the Valley. Everything was wrapped in newspaper and in baggies. The bare roots were well packed with soil and/or what looked something like wood shavings (I am new to gardening). The package included directions on how to care for the plants and I followed them to the letter. Knock on wood, they are all doing well currently.

Had I come to this website and read the negative reviews about the company BEFORE I placed my order, I probably would not have ordered from them. I probably do about 90% or more of my shopping online and I am used to having my hand held throughout the process by receiving a confirmation that my order was accepted and confirming what I ordered. Also telling me when I should expect my order. I realize BDF considers themselves "mail order," but like another reviewer, if you have a business ONLINE than you should work on your online communication. It would also be nice to have a thorough explanation of the size of plants you will receive. It seems like their website if full of excuses why they cannot do this or that for the customer. This experience ended up being positive, but I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling that they really care about their customers. I don't even recall seeing a "thank you for your order" on my invoice or literature enclosed in the shipping box.

In conclusion, this order was positive and I feel that if BDF had an item I was interested in purchasing in the future, that I would rely on this positive experience and trust them again. But being the type of person I am, it is difficult to order something blindly and sit back and wait to see if it is delivered, especially since you pay for it immediately.
Positive gennyga
Decatur, GA
July 23, 2010
I received three bunchberry plants and 3 dogwood shrubs. The plants are very healthy as are the shrubs. The packaging was excellent - I am happy with the products.
Positive ChickenAddict
May 29, 2010
I ordered 5 plants last week and just got them today well packaged and in beautiful condition! Plants are of reasonable size, with a large, healthy root system. I will definitely order from this company again! Thanks Big Dipper Farm!

Positive ladyinpink
Baton Rouge, LA
May 25, 2010
Posted on May 10, 2010, updated May 25, 2010
Posted on May 6, 2010, updated May 10, 2010
I Had order 6 Polypodium ferns at $6.99 each, plus $15.00 delivery charge, Before I place my order I saw the video on their site "how they pack and ship the quality plants".
Well my "BOX" arrive today and what a surprise it was:
1- When I opened the post office box, No extra packing material inside to prevent the plant to be shifting from one place to another during traveling. 2 of them were pack on plastic bags complete seal ( of course they cook) and the other 4 were pack the root on plastic and the rest wet newspaper over the plastic.
2- The "FERNS" are not ferns they are a piece of runners with 2 or 3 fronds, Browns may I add.
3-The piece of root (actually is a runner) is not big than an inch with not any evidence of root system.
4- The "FERNS" the whole plant ( if you can call this plant) are not bigger than a piece of cracker.
Call office and I was directed to call another number that they will take care of this; the Lady that I spoke , she said that why I was calling her? that packing control was not her department I explain to her that beside the package the plants were an insult of plants, she said that she will call me right back and she did, she offer me 1/2 of my order and $5.00 on the shipping, to be credit on my credit card. The other option was to send them back for another $15.00 shipping, (more out off pocket) So this is not a brain surgery so I took the 1/2 plus the $5.00.
The excuse about the brown on the only 2 fronds was that the plant had travel in a very hot truck, Hello!!!!!!!!! that is why they need to be pack the correct method.
The excuse for the size of the plants was that they were running out of this plants, and they will pull them out, but when I order said "READY" and today still said "READY"
If they new that the plants were looking very poor and almost non existing (actually you need a magnified glass to see them) they should have call me, email me and advise me about the quality of this plants (this is a joke to call them plants).
First and last time I will order from this Nursery, shame on you to sell this pieces of runners as plants.
Lissette, from Louisiana
On May 10th, 2010, ladyinpink added the following:

Deidre:
I was not happy with the offer that you made me for the "micro" Polypodium. But I had a client just walking in my office to see her Landscape Design Plans. As I had explain to you I am in the Landscape Industry, and those plants were going to be implement in our client rock garden, ( remember that you said to me over the phone to plant them and in 2 to 3 months they will be OK) but as we know it can not be done and they never will grow. If you send me the postage to return them, I will be more than happy to do it. Otherwise full refund will be the right approach. Diedre is not the $56.94 is the principle. You are in business so are we. We give to our customers the best plant material available, and I think that you do too, but unfortunately your employee did not use the right judgment to let you know about the quality of the Polypodium.
Lissette
On May 25th, 2010, ladyinpink changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I returned the plants and Big Dipper Farm send to me a check for the original amount and the extra postage for the return, thank you Deidre.
Company representative comment on May 6, 2010:
On May 6, 2010 3:36 PM, Big Dipper Farm responded with:

Wow Lissette, I'm surprised by this because you said that my discount offer was acceptable. I asked what you would you like us do to and you seemed happy with our agreement. If it wasn't what you wanted, I would think that you would say something, so I'm confused.
I didn't say anything about "another $15 shipping", I just asked if you would prefer to return the plants for a full refund. Your check is already gone with the mail, but please reach me if you want a different solution.
The office number is 360.886.8253

Positive kjd
Parker, CO
May 19, 2010
I ordered 6 ferns. All but one of the smaller varieties were starting to sent up new fronds when they arrived. Every one of them was wrapped in plastic and tape, packed with newspaper. They arrived in excellent condition. Root systems were strong and healthy. I planted 2 weeks ago and have seen new growth on all of them. I will definitely order again - size and condition of the plants was very good. I have paid more for much poorer quality plant material.
Negative Connanicut
Jamestown, RI
May 15, 2010
I have ordered from a lot of mail order nurseries, generally with good results. Sometimes not so good. I just ordered from Big Dipper and the plants they sent and they way they sent them were just awful. The plants were little more than liners. unpotted and put in baggies and then wrapped with tape. Unpacking without damaging the plants was a challenge. One plant looked like a root division that was mostly dead. The taped up baggies were wrapped in newspaper and stuffed in a Priority Mail box with wadded up newspaper ... probably the most unprofessional packing I have ever seen. This was my first experience with Big Dipper, and my LAST!
Positive zanann
Onarga, IL (Zone 5b)
May 7, 2010
I got my plants the other day and I must say I'm very happy with the packaging and the plants themselves. No complaints and like ordering from this company. I will definitly be a return customer. Thank you for the new additions to my plant family!
Positive marygriffin
Colfax, WA
May 2, 2010
I ordered my huckleberry bushes about 3 weeks ago. They arrived yesterday in very good condition and about 1.5 foot high. They were packaged very well with a lot of used newspaper to protect the plants. The leaves and roots are in very good shape. If they die it will be my fault.
The only drawback was that I had to order 4 plants because they have a dollar limit. I will order more huckleberries next year and probably some other plants.
Negative Get_growing
Dallas, TX
April 17, 2010
Ordered 11 different plants from company. Biggest complaint: the size of the Ophiopogon p. 'Nigrescens' (black mondo grass). Ridiculously small, cut pieces of tufts of grass. The largest piece had 14 very short blades of grass. Deidre said in phone conversation that she was not aware that the item was being cut and said that she would send more. Well, a few weeks later, she did, and they were the EXACT same condition as the originals. Even with double the pieces of grass, I am still very dissatisfied. ($10 for a piece of a piece of grass is, in my opinion, ridiculous).

Secondly, the Ballerina Mix hellebore was damaged during shipping (or possibly packing). The whole plant appeared weak as color was pale green, stems very thin. Deidre stated that it should grow if crown was not damaged. Apparently the crown was affected as well, and the plant did not survive.

Finally, ordered a Mountain Laurel. Doesn't look like it's going to make it despite the considerable TLC I've given.

Ordered 11 plant specimens and the others are doing OKAY so far. Only the Peppermint Ice hellebore looks to be in very good condition, others are fair to good and hopefully will make it.

I just sent another email and have asked for a refund for the plants that didn't make it. Stay tuned. I will post any updates.

Side note: the company's website does explain that plants are sent bare rooted. After reading up, this looks to be tricky business. My advice: buy from another vendor if you can find the same plant in potted condition.
Company representative comment on May 6, 2010:
On May 6, 2010 3:55 PM, Big Dipper Farm responded with:

This customer was going to return her plants for a full refund but it's been more than two weeks so perhaps she has changed her mind. I hope she'll get back to us if she wants some other resolution.
I do want her to be happy with her order.

Positive crazy4flora
Wenatchee, WA
April 12, 2010
Found this nursery looking for ferns thru Google. Placed an order for some ferns and was so pleased I placed another order for more plants. Both orders came very quickly, and I was extremely pleased with all the plants. Good sized plants, mail order plants are normally small, for shipping purposes I guess. Will order from them again and have recommended them to friends!
Positive ethelmertzlives
Charlotte, NC
April 10, 2010
This is the first time my entire order of bare root plants were successful. This was very important, as this was my first order. More impressive, when my Jack-in-the-Pulpit bulb seemed mysteriously missing from its bag, their response to my email was an immediate phone call (within an hour of my email) with informative explanation and promise of immediate replacement. It's now happily up and growing in my woodland garden. I'll definitely be ordering from Big Dipper again.
Positive maptoad
Bellingham, WA
March 6, 2010
I received my bare-root plants yesterday (3-5-2010) and they were in excellent condition. They were packed really well, and clear instructions for care were included. I've had some bad experiences ordering plants--particularly bare-root plants--through the mail from other companies and had sworn off. But since this place had received good marks from others here and because it wasn't hugely far away (and, frankly, they were offering free shipping) I thought I'd give it one more try. I am very glad I did and would be happy to order from them again.
Positive VAgrower
Centreville, VA
September 21, 2009
I received my first order from this company and I am very impressed! All plant material was in excellent condition, well-packed and ready to plant. I wasn't ready to put the viburnums in the ground, so I planted them in larger pots and they are doing beautifully. Big Dipper Farm included a note with my order that a perennial I ordered was not included because it didn't look good. I would so much rather have a simple explanation than a half-dead plant! I will definitely order from this company again.
Positive MissMartha
Ohatchee, AL
September 20, 2009
I have ordered from this company for several years and I have always been more than satisfied with the prompt and efficient service. I always receive very healthy plants that have obviously been packed with pride. All in all I would give them an 10 plus and I will definitely be ordering from them again in the Spring (if not before).
Martha T.