The scoop on 'Alchemy Works Seeds & Herbs'

Alchemy Works Seeds & Herbs

643 Newtown Street
Elmira, New York 14904 (United States)

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Positive Invidosa
Ypsilanti, MI
February 7, 2013
I actually ordered from this company last year and decided to write this review as I am going through my seeds in a desperate hope that spring is on its way! First of all, let me say that for the magical gardener or the mundane you simply cannot ask for a better variety! If herbal magic, medicine or tea is your thing I highly reccomend Harold and the cats. Also, the fact that there is a supplier who is personable and interested enough to include a personal, handwritten note in with my order speaks volumes as far as I am concerned. Also i deeply appreciate that alchemy works addresses the needs of pagan gardeners. In our household the garden is sacred space used for religious ritual by our circle, and as such I love the fact that care is taken to address those needs both in the actual seeds themselves and in the WEALTH of information provided.

But don't assume that fact limits the appeal of Alchemy Works to pagans, anyone looking for a hard to find herb will be happy with this company. We will surely place future orders! Cheers:-)
Positive Nick1
Plainfield, NJ (Zone 6b)
May 10, 2009
I think Alchemy Works is a great company. I have ordered seeds from them for the past few years. They have a wide variety of herb and flower seeds and other interesting and unusual (e.g., mandrake) seeds. The seed packets come with useful germination information and the web site also has much interesting and useful information. The germination rates are good and the packet sizes generous. Service is prompt and Harry responds rapidly to inquiries. Overall, an excellent company.
Positive Digitalis
New Orleans, LA
May 4, 2009
I love Alchemy-Works and have ordered from them several times and will continue to do so in the future! Not only do their seeds have good germination rates and detailed germinating/growing instructions, the customer service is excellent and the website contains a wealth of information about the history and folklore surrounding the plant seeds they offer. I especially love the unusual collection of seeds offered.

The one negative review I have seen of this website doesn't make any sense as Alchemy-Works clearly warns the customers that if they purchase a plant that is not permitted in their country, it will be seized by the authorities and Alchemy-Works will not take give any refunds; I have seen similar warnings at the websites of other vendors and it is clearly the responsibility of the customer to remain up-to-date on the laws of their own country and state/province.
Positive alchemy_1300
Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6a)
March 31, 2009
I just ordered some mug wort seeds from Alchemy works the reason I have a neutral rating is I will have to grow them and see for myself,but if what i was reading is true to form then I will be happy to give a positive review and YES! the information listed there is pretty much true I am a "pagan" gardener as well
On April 1st, 2009, alchemy_1300 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

On April 15th, 2009, alchemy_1300 added the following:

I'm am happy to say just about all the seeds have broken the hull and sprouted.
Positive cannaqueen
Mantua, OH (Zone 5a)
January 13, 2008
Placed my first order with this company 12/1/07. Received the order 1/12/08. Sent company an email on order status
that was not answered, but received the order shortly after.
Order was well packaged, with germination information listed
on each seed packet. I received two bonus packets of seeds
to try in zone 5 where I live. That was appreciated!!
The information on this website is facinating......one can learn
much on the history, astrological and herbal benefits of plants. This is not your usual, dull, carbon copy seed source
site, but one to explore with an open mind......would order
again, in the future.....
Positive judithht
Rockmart, GA
January 7, 2008
I fail to understand Horsegate's remarks concerning Alchemy Works' alleged "encouraging people to flaunt international controls that are intended to protect indigenous flora/fauna (see note of OZ/NZ buyers.)". Here is the note on the AW website referenced (I think; if not, I'd love to see it quoted) :

" Please note that seeds shipped to Australia and New Zealand are highly subject to seizure; non-herb items seem to get through to those countries fine."

Where in this note is any colluding with customers to flaunt international laws? Why not attack every company selling Ivy, or Periwinkle? It is be a mere statement of fact that seeds (particular species are not mentioned) shipped to these countries may be seized.

I find this website to be one of the most useful in terms of germination and other information I've ever encountered. I was able to germinate Mandragora off. using the directions on this site, and I've been trying for almost 30 years to achieve this. AW renders the entire community of people who are in love with plants traditionally associated with religious, spiritual, hermetic and/or magical traditions a profound favor.
Neutral spidra
Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b)
April 9, 2007
I ordered Cupressus sempervirens pyramidalis v.stricta in April of 2005. It arrived packed well and in a timely manner. It needed to be cold stratified and as I'd never done that before, I think it's my own fault that I didn't have success with the seeds. A very interesting concept for a seed company, though!
Positive xenya
North East, MD
September 11, 2006
This is a great company. The website is full of interesting information and tips on growing. My order arrived fast and with additional seed packets. I'll definitely order from them again!

Positive zville123
Zanesville, OH (Zone 6a)
May 15, 2006
Great website! Tons of useful and historical plant info. Generous seed packets with essential info. Owner more than happy to answer any questions. Will order from again and highly recommend.
Positive Joya
November 8, 2003
I have ordered from Alchemy Works several times. The seeds are always great quality and germination rates are very high. Customer service is friendly and always willing to answer questions about plant culture and use. I highly recommend them to any pagan gardener.
Positive xplorer
Makati
Philippines
August 13, 2003
I have very good germination rates with the seeds ordered from their store. Online ordering is a snap. International shipping is fast!
Negative Horsegate
April 24, 2003
This company is encouraging people to circumvent international customs controls that are intended to protect indigenous flora and fauna. [see note for OZ/NZ buyers].

I will not support such ecoligical irresponsibility; please consider this yourself