The scoop on 'The Thyme Garden Herb Company'

The Thyme Garden Herb Company

20546 Alsea Highway
Alsea, Oregon 97324 (United States)

Fax: (541) 487-8671 (call

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $2

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and seeds.

Comments:

Positive LanfrancoLeo
Harrisburg, PA
November 21, 2013
This guy are great!! I will definitively re-order again !! I ordered a couple of items because I want to change my small grass lawn in a more eco-friendly alternative. Thyme chamomille were my first choices. Since I need a moderate high number of seed Thyme seed garden gave to me the best price for a good amount of seed. The shipping was fast, the people that I contacted by phone were very gentle and custom oriented.But more important the seeds were really fresh!! My thyme seeds germinate in 4 days.. 4DAYS!! If you check on line people give you an orientative time of 20 days, and strongly suggest to go by cutting , that supposedly is more esily!
Positive blumenlieber
vancouver, WA (Zone 8a)
June 12, 2013
I ordered seeds previously and received them promptly-- lovely packets, excellent germination, fair prices and a huge selection. I also enjoy the newsletter I receive with lots of helpful information, recipes, etc. I am late in leaving my thanks, but thank you very much Thyme Garden for existing!
Positive Don_in_CT
W Hartford, CT
January 12, 2011
A fine experience! I ordered five hop rhizomes ( one each of Cascade, Fuggle, Mt. Hood, Brewer's Gold, and Sterling, as I was not sure which varieties would be best for my location in Connecticut) last spring, and all five arrived in good condition, with small visible sprouts. I had to keep them in the refrigerator crisper for a week prior to planting them (as suggested), and when planted they all grew successfully, showing their first growth within three weeks of planting in mid-April. By the end of the first growing season the Cascade, Brewer's Gold, and Sterling bines were the largest, having reached the top of my 8 foot high tower and spread out across it in various directions. I actually managed to harvest a small amount from the Brewers Gold and Cascade plants in late August, but the Sterling hops matured so quickly that they were already dried out when I returned from a vacation in mid-August. the other two varieties set a few hop cones, but not enough to bother harvesting them. The bines began to yellow and die back in the fall, but some were green up to the first hard frost in early November. To allow for a more practical harvest, I will have to extend my growing frame upward by about five or six feet this spring.
Positive lorianna
Charleston, SC (Zone 7b)
April 7, 2010
I have been extremely happy with seeds, hop roots, and plants ordered from Thyme garden. Seeds came promptly each time I have ordered them, and germination rate and plant health were superb. In one instance, I was moving cross-country and seeds ended up in a broiling hot storage area over the summer (candles stored there melted), and didn't get planted until 2 years from purchase --yet when planted, seemed to explode out of the ground with vigor! The hops and plants arrived at the times projected, and have shown excellent growth. The hops immediately showed a tendency toward World Domination. Fascinating variety of seeds. Seed packs are smaller, waste less paper on packaging, with no sacrifice of actual seed number. The herb selection is unmatched, and this year I ordered some herbs (goldenseal, cohosh) in plant form at a price far below what I've paid in the past at nurseries (when I could even find them) --they arrived bareroot, carefully packaged and moist, wonderfully healthy and settled in nicely. I've now grown Thyme Garden products on both sides of the country (Oregon and South Carolina), and they've earned top place in my list of favorites.
Negative rainierdog
Provo, UT
September 18, 2009
This spring I ordered several plants from this company. After waiting several weeks to receive my shipment, a representative finally contacted me to tell me that their Highland Cream thyme was not yet ready for shipment, and asked me if I wanted to substitute or wait for the plants to be ready. I really wanted that varietal, so I chose to wait. Several weeks later I received the shipment. The Highland Cream thyme looked ok, so I immediately transplanted it into my garden. Unlike the other plants I received, it went into shock and struggled all summer. I nurtured it, as I don't like to claim failure to companies unless I've done everything I could. A few days ago the last green portion turned brown and I declared the plant to officially be dead.

I contacted the company about a replacement, and was told that they would not honor my request. He told me "too much time" had gone by since my order a few months ago. A representative named Rolfe told me this, and he did not reply to emails asking him to work with me.

I am very displeased with this company, particularly since they knew that they were shipping a plant that wasn't ready on time, and apparently wasn't even ready when they sent it. I want a company to stand behind their products, and only send quality items that will thrive, and back up that promise with a guarantee. I can't trust that plants in the future will be of stable quality, and I can't trust that they will work with me if there is a problem. There are too many other nurseries who will do this!
Positive greenmulberry
Iowa City, IA
February 26, 2009
I ordered hops rhizomes last season, and a whole bunch of seeds this season. I found the customer service to be good, the prices good, and the product good.

My hops came labeled and were clearly healthy. When one of the varieties I ordered was out of stock, they quickly emailed me to ask about a substitute.

I am just now placing my third order with them as we decided to get some more stuff. I really appreciate the excellent selection.
Positive innerlite
Cass City, MI
May 24, 2007
This is the second year I have ordered from Thyme Garden. They have a diverse selection of plants, some I'm unable to find elswhere. They also practice organic, earth-friendly standards which are important to me.
The staff are helpful and friendly both via email and with extra growing hints written on the printed plant info. Everything I've purchased from Thyme Garden continues to thrive so far. I am very pleased and will continue to order from them for years to come
Positive girlgroupgirl
May 4, 2006
I recieved my order today and was extremely pleased! Plants were HOT GLUED to the bottom of the box so they would not fall around! I thought that was a very excellent idea. They were very well and carefully packaged, and came dry enough for herbs to handle, but the box was humid inside, showing that they had been wrapped in moist newspaper originally. Everything was so skillfully and carefully wrapped in little elastic bands to keep the greenery looking perfect. All contact I've had with the nursery has been positive, they had to substitute plants, and emailed me for a list of possibilities.
In the passed I was very pleased with my seed purchases, and I will certainly be buying plants again from The Thyme Garden (as well as seeds). You can not get this variety of herbs in my neck of the woods!!

Positive charkins
Ridgefield, CT
February 27, 2005
I have been purchasing seeds from The Thyme Garden for at least seven years. My order always arrives within a week complete. I also like that they throw in a bonus seed pack. Their seeds always germinate quite quickly. What I like the best is the seeds they have available that I can't find anywhere else,such as corsican mint and a really low creeping thyme. Truly, they are one of my favorite seed companies for herbs.
Negative Mima56
Thayer, MO (Zone 6a)
March 8, 2003
I love their catalog. It's informative and concise, and I'm always intrigued by their selections. I have been pleased with the seeds that I've ordered, but never with the plants. I have received plants that were water-logged and rotted, as well as plants that looked to have been thrown into the pot upside-down! This is the only company that I've ever been dissatisfied with. And considering how rude they were when I called to talk, I certainly won't waste my time and money doing business with them again. And I must admit that I'm sorry, considering their offerings.
Neutral sagesue
Wyncote, PA
October 17, 2002
Have ordered for a few years...herb seeds are well packaged and with good info...plants are small but well packed and did well in my zone 6 garden...may order again but pricey!!!
Positive susangrace
April 1, 2001
I am really pleased with the Thyme Garden. I ordered more than 100 plants last year. All arrived in excellent condition. They were carefully packed, were a good size, and very healthy. Everything I ordered survived. They even called to check to see how everything arrived and called again later to see how the plants were doing. I have placed another big order for this year. I have tried many different herb producers, and they are definitely my favorite.
Positive janekbahr
October 1, 1999
I was extremely pleased with the condition of the plants. They all did well. I will definitely order from them again even though they are shipping all the way from Oregon.
Negative Nrecy
April 1, 1999
Ordered 10 plants in January. My credit card was charged promptly. Plants arrived in late April. Unfortunately, UPS kept the plants over the weekend and 7 out of 10 died. I received my refund in October. I don't know about you but getting a refund after 10 months is not my definition of good customer service. They also never sent another catalog. Just as well as I've scratched them off of my list.
Neutral cathegordon
January 1, 1999
My experience ordering lavender plants was mixed. Everything arrived great, but 3 of the 16 plants died within weeks. The rest of the plants are doing really well. I contacted them via email immediately last year about it, but never got a response. I will order from them again once I find out about last year's order.