The scoop on 'Mountain Crest Gardens'

Mountain Crest Gardens

Fort Jones, California 96032 (United States)

Phone: 1-877-656-4035

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants.

Comments:

Positive Gin888
Mount Pleasant, SC (Zone 8b)
June 30, 2014
I placed my first order with this company on May 29, 2014. Having been disappointed by mail order companies in the past, I crossed my fingers and waited. I received an email saying that my order was being processed, and then an email saying that my order had shipped. The shipping email had a tracking number, so I was able to follow my order. It arrived when they said it would. I was amazed when I opened the box...the succulents were in absolutely wonderful condition, large and healthy, packaged extremely well. No damage at all. My order was large, so it took a couple of days to get them all planted. They are thriving. I placed my second order on June 27 and just received an email saying that it was shipped today, June 30. They offer free shipping with a minimum order, which is a real saving. I highly recommend this company...they have a large selection of succulents, they do what they say, and their plants are of very high quality. I am happy to have found such a company to do business with.
Positive genielassie
Cuba, NY
May 6, 2010
I ordered from Mountain Crest Gardens again this year and again the quality of the plants was great and the prices were reasonable.

I ordered:

1 x Lewisia Collection
1 x Heuchera Hybird Green Spice
1 x Heuchera Hybird Amber Waves
1 x Echinacea Purpurea Magnus
1 x Echinacea 'Big Sky Twilight'
2 x Ajuga Black Scallop
2 x album
2 x Frosty Morn
2 x Spurium Elizabeth

All plants are doing fabulous thusfar.
Negative R2D2
Mattoon, IL
July 31, 2009
I did not like there service at all. On there web site it clearly says Sempervivum 3 plants = one order. I ordered 9 got 18 plugs and a free 2 plugs. It should have been 27 plugs,so i emailed them they said they haven"t changed the web page yet that they send a free one instead. Well that is not what It says on there order page and they haven"t' changed it yet. So I got ripped off 9 plants and there slow about sending emails. I would not buy again from them. There is another place you can get a lot better sempervivums, so I will stick with him and it is a mail order site. Randall
Positive JMKM1976
Hornell, NY
April 15, 2009
I received my order for plants from Mountain Crest today and I was amazed by the size of the plants! My order was for Five Big Sky Series coneflowers and a mico album sedum (that I have come to know as "chubby fingers"). All arrive in excellent condition and quickly (less than a week after the order was placed).

I had expected small but healthy plants, what came far exceeded my expectations! The coneflowers are huge, deeply rooted plants packed with their pots in tact and plenty dirt that was still damp. The sedum came in a fair sized pot (considering their spreading habit) and very green and healthy, I'm certain once placed in its new bed, it will thrive!

To my surprise, there was even a bonus plant repens 'Rosea' that is just as big and well established as the rest of the plants.

In short, I am so thrilled with Mountain Crest that I will go ahead and place a much larger order with them. Their selections of Sedums and Semperviums are great, better than I have ever found anywhere else. With quality service and a great selection of big, healthy, well packed plants, I don't think I can go wrong!

On June 2nd, 2009, JMKM1976 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

My grandmother always said that if it seems to be too good to be true then it probably is and I am glad that I was too distracted to place a larger order right away with Mountain Crest because out of five Big Sky Series cone flowers I ordered, only one is still clinging to life (barely). I've never had problems growing cone flowers and had wanted to add these new exciting colors to my gardens, so I order one of each that were offered, a total of 5.

When they arrived, they were very root bound but looked otherwise healthy (minus the Japanese beetle that hitched a ride in the box). I lovingly potted each in a two gallon pot with miracle grow potting mix and placed them in my greenhouse to wait out the last frost date for the area.

A couple started blooming very quickly and I was excited, but right after the bloom, the plants abruptly turned black and DIED! So, then the others set buds, I cut them off, thinking if I kept them from blooming I could save them. Not the case, it seems as as soon as they put effort into budding, they blacken as abruptly DIE!

The last is in my flower bed and has budded, I didn't bother to cut the bud off this time because it didn't help the others. It already looks ill, blackened leaves multiply daily, there are only a few left and I wonder if it will even live long enough for that bud to open.

I changed the rating to negative, not because of the fate of the plants but because I contacted Mountain Crest about the plants and was ignored, not a soul replied.

Mountain Crest's guarantee states only that plants will be in good condition when they arrive, and they did appear to be so. However,
I've since read a lot of about these cone flowers and found that they are prone to sickness and are weak in general and a grower ought to be aware future issues that concern the longevity of their stock before they sell it to the public. Of course, when a guarantee only covers the good looks on the day of arrival, what harm is there, right?

If I thought the death of the plants was my fault for any reason, I would not make an issue of it but it was not. I have grown both purple and white cone flowers for some times now and have never had any issues with them. I start most of my perennials by seed in my greenhouse and have never encountered the problems that these plants appear to have.

I'd like a credit to my account for the cost of these plants but I doubt that that will be forthcoming because of their very evasive guarantee policy.

In any event, I don't like being ignored and that seems to be what is happening here. My concerns are unresolved and so, until they are, I won't shop at Mountain Crest.

On June 4th, 2009, JMKM1976 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I feel like a total heel. I came home today and found a box labeled "Live plants" and found that they were from Mountain Crest. I hadn't had any notice that replacements had already been sent and sincerely apologize to Mountain Crest for my harsh re-review. I was wrong (granny too I think).

Mountain Crest has, in my opinion, gone beyond their guarantee by replacing all the sick cone flowers, even those that had not yet died. One had been sold out and so it was replaced with one from my shopping cart on their web site.

I feel horrible for complaining as I did. The plants are all budded, some blossoming and show none of the "death" signs the previous plants had as soon as they set buds (and no beetle).

To Mountain Crest, my most heartfelt apologies and thanks, to everyone else, please disregard my negative comments. I feel so very, very bad.
Positive colliwobbles
(Jana) Shoreline, WA (Zone 8a)
June 17, 2008
I placed my first order in May, and couldn't be happier. Their selection of "hen n chicks" is outstanding! The plants were in excellent condition when they arrived. At first I was a little surprised at their size (they were smaller than what I'm used to buying locally). There was nothing to worry about, because they are all flourishing and already growing chicks! If I hadn't run out of room in my garden, I'd be placing another order.

I would definitely recommend Mountaincrest Gardens.
Positive lakelily
New Rochelle, NY
May 2, 2008
The succulents and sedums I ordered were packaged wonderfully, had good root systems, were healthy and plump. They came on the day I asked for, tho I had placed the order months before. This is the best experience I have ever had with a mail order company. Am siting my next rock garden asap - I want more!
Positive nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI
April 5, 2008
I believe the plants from Mountain Crest were the nicest plants I've ever received via mail order These plants had some serious growth and root systems. I am very pleased.
Positive esteve59
Annapolis, MD
November 29, 2007
Wonderful huge selection of succulents,very reasonable prices.
My order only took a couple of days.All were very healthy.
A few of them were a little "beat up" but they included a couple of freebies also....
I will be back !!
Positive doss
Stanford, CA (Zone 9b)
March 1, 2007
This is a company where you want to use superlatives to describe everything. The personal service was great and they have a wonderful website where photos of the plants you are buying are on the cart page so you can see what you've bought.

The plants came quickly and were in perfect order - with a bonus of succulents. Succulents come without pots but are in terrific shape. I also bought some Hakone grass and it was in long tubes so the roots were very long. I have bought this grass from several vendors and these were the best I have received.
Positive JonSchneider
Fleming Island, FL (Zone 9b)
December 7, 2006
Wonderful experience... excellent quality of succulents with quick shipping. Could not ask for a better shopping experience
Positive lillyo
Marlborough, CT (Zone 6a)
June 2, 2006
I just received my first order from Mountain Crest and I am pleasantly surprised. I placed on order for the new type of gaillardia "Oranges and Lemons" and one tiny succulent plant. Because the gaillardia is a new cultivar, I was suspicious that the price of $3.55 was too good to be true and I would never receive plants or would receive plants of poor quality. The gailardia came in long tubes which allowed long roots to develop and there were several stems on each plant 12in long with multiple flowers. I would expect to pay $10-20 for these at my local nursery. The succulent was as good as described by other reviewers. The shipping was $10.75 and took 8 days, 3 of which were over the Memorial Day long weekend. I will be a repeat customer.
Positive buddyeight
Lansing, MI
May 24, 2006
Great quality hens and chicks!

Received plants wihin three days of placing the order.

I will absolutely do business with this company again. They have a wide variety of hard to find selections and deliver healthy clean plants that are packaged very well.
Positive Janna
Mahwah, NJ (Zone 6a)
April 27, 2006
I am so thrilled with my new sedums! They arrived so quickly, were nicely packed and labeled, and look like a collection of precious colorful gems. Awesome company, great quality and prices, I will order again.
Positive wvtreehuggers
Charleston, WV (Zone 6a)
March 1, 2005
Although I am rating with a positive, I would like to relay my complete experience.

I found them on Yahoo, they must have a paid advertisement with the site. The site was very well done, and it was very easy to order. I ordered on February 15. On the front page, it says "Fast three day shipping." By Feb. 22, I still had not received my plants, so I called. The staff was very nice, and they had informed me that they ship weekly, and I missed the last shipping date. They told me I would receive the plants by the 25th. I did finally receive my plants on the 28th of Feb-not a fast three day shipping!

I was most impressed with the plants that I did receive-minus the scary centipedes in a couple of the plants, but I guess that should be expected.

The plants are lovely, and they threw in a few gift, which was nice.
Positive mvespa
Englishtown, NJ (Zone 6b)
September 7, 2004
These had to be some of the best plants I have ever received. I was sent them as a gift, and there were bonus plants as well. They were beautifully packed and labeled. I am looking for a reason to send someone else a gift as wonderful as what was sent to me. I also received a small dish garden which was astounding!
Positive rusty2004
Lodi, CA
May 28, 2004
I saw the web site listed on the watchdog, looked at the web site, was very nice and ordered may 12, received order very fast, plants were packaged very well, very fresh and beautiful, full sized plants, a sample of 36, and 5 others, also a pot that is great for these plants. Will order again,
Marlene Motz
On March 16th, 2005, rusty2004 added the following:

I ordered from this company may 2004, was so impressed with plants and customer service, ordered all collections plus this year .
Received plants fast, and they are great, and bonus plants.
They are worth every penny spend.
Marlene Motz
Positive willy1035
May 10, 2004
I recently received my order from Mountain Crest. The quality of the plants was excellent and for the small order I placed they threw in some bonus plants. Definitely on my list to reorder in the future.
Positive rockygarden
April 6, 2004
I have ordered sempervivums from this company two years in a row and have been very impressed with size and quality of their plants. They had a super deal with 60 plants for about $60 and I ordered their red sempervivums and they look outstanding in my rock wall. They also have rather nice pots for a reasonable price, like $7.00 for a 9" pot.
I recommend this company highly. I did end up ordering on the phone because of a glitch in the online ordering form.
Positive olddog
Colfax, LA (Zone 7a)
March 9, 2004
VERY VERY GOOD! MOST PLEASED WITH ALL PLANTS.
THE PACKING WAS PERFECT. SHIPPMENT WAS ON TIME
Positive mytoes
July 18, 2003
They have high quality, beautiful plants that arrive VERY quickly. I was so happy with my succulents, and they even threw in a bonus plant. Also a friendly, helpful staff that seem to really care about their customers.