The scoop on 'A & B Tropicals'

A & B Tropicals

Bonita Springs, Florida 34135
(United States)

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark Per a note from a reader, the website for this business is no longer working. If anyone has a status update on A & B Tropicals, please contact the Garden Watchdog editors.

Comments:

Positive kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR (Zone 7b)
February 7, 2008
I have ordered quite a few aroids from this company through their web site and off ebay from them as well. Have always been pleased with the product, shipping prices, and packaging. Great communication between them and me.
Positive JeffLuther
Grove City, PA
July 25, 2007
Always a pleasure to deal with. They treat you as if you are their only customer!
Positive SuperMischief
Pinson, AL
July 21, 2007
I have obtained 3 elephant ears from Brandy @ A&B Tropicals and am very happy with my purchases. The plants were healthy and vibrant as well as packed in a professional manner . Brandy answered all my questions in a detailed and timely manner . I will defiantly be buying from A&B again and would highly recommend them to anyone interested in fantastic plants at great prices .
Neutral Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a)
July 10, 2007
I ordered three elephant ears, a Nancy's Revenge, Lime Zinger and Black Magic. The Lime Zinger was a nice size, but still a "plug size" like Agristarts sells, as were all three plants. Nancy's Revenge was very small and damaged, but is doing great. Black Magic was teeny tiny, leaves broken and never put out a sprout, dead on arrival! I did not complain, or email the company. I figure they get one chance to impress me, and they didn't. For the price, the plants were small and their packing leaves much to be desired.
My rating is neutral, but I'll never order from them again.
Negative thomasmc
Colorado Springs, CO
June 30, 2007
I ordered a miniature Caladium Holboltii from them, which arrived badly damaged, most everything had broken off of the tuber. I emailed them, and was told that they've never had any problem before, and to email if I had any questions. No offer to replace the item. I responded asking if she thought the tuber might resprout where everything had broken off, but I guess her offer didn't include anything about her responding, as she hasn't.

Poor customer service. Order from them, and I guess you are on your own.
Positive banananut
Eureka, CA (Zone 9b)
May 19, 2007
Can't say enough good things about this company. For the price best banana deals, since these people seem to grow up there TC starts a little bigger than other companies before they sell them. Also ordered a bulb of A.'Borneo Giant' a few months ago, I put that sucker on top of the water heater in some damp soil, and now it's leafing out huge.
Positive Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC (Zone 7b)
November 28, 2006
I was quite happy with their service, they were very polite and responded to my questions. I won't say what types of "special arrangements" they made for my order, because then they'll be flooded with business by other wingnuts like me, but I will say that they accomodated me in every way possible. It was not even a big order, only two plants, but I will definately order from them again.
Positive fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX (Zone 8b)
August 12, 2006
I received an Alocascia order and it was in great condition, despite our hot weather, it was not even wilted.
Positive sugargarden
Daphne, AL
May 17, 2006
I have ordered several plants from this company on 2 seperate occasions and have been very happy with them. Their prices are reasonable and the plants recieved were healthy and well packaged. I also like the fact that they accept Paypal which makes ordering easier. The only problem I had was that on checkout, it didn't automatically figure my shipping discount for more than 1 item but when contacted, they did refund the difference.I am sure that I will do business with them again.
Negative tobee43
groveland, FL (Zone 9b)
May 11, 2006
just my luck. i rec'd my order today and it was so terrible i couldn't believe my eyes.

i ordered 2 colocasia nancy's revenge, and two xanthosoma, line zinger.

the line zingers ....NOT one leave was other than yellow and brown, wilted, spotted and just terrible. no indication of any new growth at all.

the nancy's revenge has all curled, wilted leaves, dry leaves and look just as bad.

on their invoice they say YOU have to send the plants back to them well, my post office is over 16 miles away and ups is over 40 miles. which means it's far out of my way and i would have to pay to return them with no guarantee that i wouldn't receive the same inferior, terrible plants in return...except i would be our two shipping amounts. i purchased in good faith, yet i have to be out the time and money for there awful product??? i don't get it.

simply put, i'm not paying anymore and must just view this situation as a bad lesson learned. 40.00 dollars down the hole on this one. NEVER AGAIN! i have rec'd better from KELLY'S ...how SAD is that.

On May 18th, 2006, tobee43 added the following:

firstly....NO one tried to contact me at ALL! there has been NOT one email from anyone in this company. i did not immediately do the feedback as stated. i waited for a response and rec'd nothing. i do not appreciate someone being untruthful. i didn't even know of this response until i checked back myself. i take feedback seriously and have only given a very few negatives. considering i place from 30-50 orders averaging 400-600 dollars each yearly. this was a small "try" out order as i was complete for the season but like to find new company's with fair pricing.

the plants and their roots were placed in unsealed plactic bags. i not thinking the post office did that? if the problem was they were just dried out, it would be simply to resolve myself. however, the leaves do not yellow and get brown and spotted within 2-3 days if the plant was in good condition when it was shipped. i understand that things happen......but when a company hasn't even attempted to resolve the issue you have more than one problem to deal with. personally, because i run a business and don't have the time to follow up with the company's i have trusted to do their jobs i usually just stick with who i know. so this was my mistake.

but everyone should know this.......to air this out in a public forum without at least ONE attempt to contact me directly is beyond reason.

someone could have gotten back to me about the situation. but since there was no response as of even today what can this company expect? and then to write out in this forum instead of sending me an email directly...what is that about? to suggest that you just can't make some people happy is simply an excuse for not communicating. i have very few problems with my orders, but when i do i do expect a response in one way or another.
On May 19th, 2006, tobee43 added the following:

8 days later. that's EIGHT DAYS... you respond. i hope everyone sees that you finally send your first email over a week later. great company.....i repeat this: the truth about a company is made very clear when there is a problem and they way they handle it. this company is highly unprofessional, rude and immature. that's what clear here. so i warn anyone that does have a problem and someone will... expect this to happen, and nothing more.

that is correct, i stated i do not intend to take my valuable time and use it for your mistakes. i am a plantscaper with at least 30 jobs to complete by the end of the month. i have no time to take a 32 mile round trip to the closest post office to return your trash to you. my other option is to pay one of my employee's to go; that would make really good business sense. it cost me more than 40.00 which was the amount of the trash that you sent me.

simply put you sent garbage to me. open plastic bags with brown, yellow and black spotted plants. i reserve the right to let everyone know this, which is exactly what i'm doing. oh...i forgot you blamed the post office on that! right...get real.

On May 19th, 2006, tobee43 added the following:

although i invited you to post my email i figured i would since you insist about this time situation which apparently you have made up and which is completely and absolutely untrue. as far as i know you just typed that in:

"just to clarify:

i'm not really caring what time it states ......that is incorrect. i sent the email the day before i put the rating up. which you are just once again making excuses for why you didn't respond. don't blame others for your shortcomings. you best learn that when doing business. remember......it's taken you 8 days to email me. just how poor to you think that is? had you contacted with 24-48 hours this would not have happened. and you can take this email and copy and pasted it as well for all i care"

and this is about as much time as i'm putting into this situation.
Company representative comment on May 19, 2006:

On May 15, 2006 9:27 PM, A & B Tropicals added:

Buyer emailed us about the problem 5/11/06 2:21 PM and then left bad feedback 10 minutes later. He left me no time to email him back to resolve problem. We have over 2300 positive feedbacks on ebay with not one bad feedback. We alway resolve a problem one way or the other.

From the buyer's description it sounds like the box was left in the heat, probably by the post office. We have a policy requiring plants be returned for refund or exchange, but often times do not enforce this policy if the buyer is reasonable and gives us the opportuinity to correct the situation. Often times we will accept an e-mail photo in lieu of plants being returned.

Once the plants leave our greenhouse we are no longer in control of how the shipment is treated. For the most part the post office does a good job of getting the shipment to their destination in good or at least reasonable condition. Occasionally they arrive in bad condition, but we are committed to correcting the situation for buyers who make their requests in a reasonable manner. We choose to use the post office for shipping to keep the costs down, but if a customer requests overnight delivery, we can calculate the additional shipping and charge accordingly.

Folks, we really do try hard to please everyone, but sometimes its just not possible.

On May 19, 2006 9:22 PM, A & B Tropicals added:

Just to clarify:

tobee43: Your email to us was at 5/11/2006 @ 2:21pm, please check your e-mail. Your post here was 5/11/2006 @ 2:31pm, you can verify this with the website if you care to.

Our website clearly states that we reserve the right to request the items be returned for replacement. You were pretty clear in your first post that you have no intention of returning them, however if you have changed your mind, please return the plants and we will refund your purchase price plus the amount of shipping from us to you.

Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
May 5, 2006
Will do business with this company again. Appear to be very interested in doing right by their customers. Good plants, properly packaged and shipped.
Positive tucker303
Denver, CO
January 19, 2006
Placed an order. After a short period of time they refunded my money due to some circumstances out of their control. I was pleased that THEY took the initiative to refund and contact me instead of me having to followup.
Positive Tamar
Brooklyn, MS (Zone 8a)
December 25, 2005
Just received my second order this month from A&B Tropicals. I can't say enough about how happy I am with everything I received. This is a great company! Best of all I paid about half of what others were asking for the same EE's and got plants that were easily double the size. Very fast shipping and great packing.
Warning, A&B will spoil you and you have to keep going back for more!
Positive chunx
San Diego, CA
September 22, 2005
I ordered 2 plants from Andy and Brandy on eBay. They arrived within 4 days, very healthy, and a bargain at twice the price. I am very impressed with their large selection and fast service, along with a great guarantee. I will be using them again next Spring. They don't rip you off on postage either! That's a huge bonus there. I'm happy.
Positive amorning1
Islamorada, FL
August 26, 2005
For sure. Deserves this positive.
Positive ahelms
Kannapolis, NC (Zone 7b)
August 26, 2005
I've ordered twice this past month from Brandy. The plants were great and she's so helpful. After I received the first order and was so happy with it, I ordered six more Alocasias.
Positive CATSLARSON
Miami, FL (Zone 10b)
April 6, 2005
Talk about instant gratification. I ordered 6 different elephant ears on Saturday and they arrived the following Wednesday morning despite Brandy having had oral surgery. Everything arrived securely packed and in perfect order. They will definately have my business in the future. AAAAA++++
Positive Nocky
(Zone 8b)
April 1, 2005
I had planned on buying elephant ears and a super dwarf banana tree. My e-mails were quickly answered and Brandy was very helpful.

After awhile, I settled on only purchasing elephant ears. I sent the check on March 11th and received my plants on March 31st.

I am very pleased and definitely would consider ordering from them again in the future.
Positive cissyb
Woodbine, GA (Zone 8b)
March 27, 2005
I am so thrilled with my first purchase from this company. I ordered a couple of plants on Sunday, received a confirmation the following day, and my plants were on my doorstep on Thursday (4 days from start to finish). The packaging was excellent, the plants exceptional, and prices that just can't be beat. The $8.00 S&H charge included overnight delivery for two plants, one of which was 2-1/2 to 3' tall, VERY REASONABLE. I can't sing their praises enough, a real class act! A and B Tropicals will be my go to place for the exotics they carry.
Positive Servants_heart
Laurens, SC (Zone 8a)
February 25, 2005
I recently received a White Bat Plant as a gift from a friend that came from this nursery. The plant was in excellent condition. If anything the company overpacked!! hehehe They used a HUGE, long Priority Mail box and the plant was stuck in the bottom. I had a heck of a time getting it out!! It came quickly and this companies prices are not exorbitant!! The only think is that the plant did not come with very much information--though they did include their contact info (email address, mailing address, phone #, website address, etc)!! I give this company a HUGE thumbs up!! Thanks!!
Positive southern_irish
Jenks, OK (Zone 7a)
October 5, 2004
This was my first order with A&B, I ordered a few banana trees and I was pleasently surprised! The trees were 3 - 4 foot tall, in very nice condition and the roots were in soil (wrapped in plastic, but not bare root). I've paid more for much less of a tree from other companies, even the shipping was inexpensive. I will be ordering again from them.
Positive patmo
Irving, TX (Zone 8a)
June 12, 2004
I ordered several things from the web site and received a prompt email advising me that one of items was out of stock.
The owner has a brand new baby and had not had time to update her site. I picked a substitute and then received another email that grasshoppers had destroyed another plant I'd ordered. Picked another substitute and everything arrived in good shape and packed well - she threw in an extra plant to make up for the plants that were not available. Brandy is the "B" of A&B and is very easy to deal with - I would not hesitate to order from them again.
Positive Castilleja
Corpus Christi, TX
April 7, 2004
I have ordered various bananas and other plants from A&B Tropicals, and have had no problems. Very nice plants, and very nice to deal with.
Positive IMQTPI
March 8, 2004
Ordered several plants from this company thru eBay. Very nice quality plants - and very good communication.

Had a problem with one of the plants (Colocasia - not cold-hardy at all - was damaged in mid-winter shipment) - they were extremely helpful and followed up to make sure everything was okay!

Overall, I'm very satisfied with A & B Tropicals and will do business again!