The scoop on 'Garden Gate'

Garden Gate

2200 Grand Ave.
Des Moines, Iowa 50312 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-341-4769

Comments:

Positive 85Tate
Quincy, MA (Zone 6a)
September 15, 2011
GG is so far the best. Their photography is stunning. I have been subscribed since 2009 and paid for the coming issues till 2014! Never disappointed me.
Neutral vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
November 13, 2009
Informative and not too much advertising. However, I found it a very limited resource for zone 9-10 gardening. Makes sense that they focus on the middle of the country rather than extreme north or south, but I need more bang for my magazine $.
Negative ladyisle
Bohemia, NY (Zone 7a)
November 13, 2009
My negative rating has nothing to do with the quality of the magazine but rather with my experience with their billing department. To cut to the chase my complaint is very simple. Dear DeMatteis, Billing Manager: Please stop sending me invoices for my renewal. I have already paid it. The check posted on 7/17/09. So far, I have responded to each and every one of your bills with my payment information, but it seems as if nobody ever reads it. Is your accounts payable department manned by robots? Please, please give me the phone number to a human being to talk to, so that we can rectify this situation. I am not wasting another stamp.
Positive ecmama
Whitehall, WI (Zone 4a)
July 12, 2008
I have subscribed to this magazine for the past 3 years, and I love it! There are lots of great ideas, projects, and all around good information in it. My only complaint is that there aren't more pages!
Positive dlefferts
Agawam, MA (Zone 6a)
June 30, 2007
I think this is a great magizine for gardeners. One of the best on the market.
Positive rhodesja
Manchester, CT
October 28, 2006
my mom got us a subscription to this magazine . It's a great magazine. really cool articles and interesting information on bugs,plants,tools etc. we really enjoy it .
Jeff and karen
Positive rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA (Zone 7a)
October 27, 2006
This is the best gardening magazine I get. And I get a lot! Excellent and helpful articles. Great quality offerings in their store. Just ordered a gift subscription for my Mom and she loves it too!! Keep up the good work!!
Positive billyporter
Nichols, IA (Zone 5a)
March 30, 2006
I picked up magazine # 6. It was exactly what I was looking for. I ordered all the back issues. I like the questions and answers, and the ideas people have come up with. But I mostly like it because of the timely articles, and they always seemed to cover my planting problems and needs. It's a magazine I'll never quit taking.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
November 5, 2005
I have subscribed to Garden Gate since February of 1998, when the very first issue covered, amongst other things, moon gardens, types of thalictrum, hibiscus and garden tools, all of which were of great help with installing my first garden when I moved into a single family home later that YEAR. I never miss an issue, and have extended my subscription to 2008. The absence of advertising gives this publication the ability to be totally objective. Unlike several far more expensive magazines, GG avoids the trendiness that makes other publications useless. GG also does something VERY unusual. They feature new plants each year, but also go back to them a year later and review their actual performance. There is less emphasis on the very expensive gardens of the wealthy, for whom cost is no object, which are often designed by professionals, and are often overwhelming in cost and scale, and more emphasis on incorporating ornamental trees, grasses, bulbs, roses, annuals and perennials into a personal design. With articles on soil, pruning, disease and critter control, and just about every aspect of actually planting and maintaining a yard, itís my favorite gardening publication by far.
Neutral nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
November 5, 2005
Not long ago I received a free issue of Garden Gate in the mail. It's not a bad magazine, and there are no advertisements of any kind. The reason I'm rating it neutral rather than positive is that it doesn't serve my gardening needs and interests. I'm interested in more in-depth articles on plant species and genera, interested in new and/or rare plants, interested in features on cutting-edge and historical garden design and in specific garden topics such as rock gardening, xeriscaping and native plants. Garden Gate had a very midwestern feel to me, which isn't a bad thing, but I don't live in the midwest, and I just don't garden that way.
Positive Erynne
Orangeville, ON (Zone 4b)
November 4, 2005
Now I know why gardeners love this magazine; it is truly informative! I just received my first issue from the company and got a back issue from e-bay. Wow! No ads to interrupt my reading! I can't wait for the next of many issues to reach my home. Two thumbs up Garden Gate!!
Positive PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL
September 26, 2005
I have been a subscriber for several years, and have given three special friends gift subscriptions. I wish this magazine came every month! The feature I love best is the garden plans: they include plant names (common and latin), no. of plants to use in the design, cold(USDA)/heat(AHS) zones, mature height/width of plant, additional comments and a complete list of alternatives, sometimes more than one! Comments are descriptive and often include helpful info.on maintenance; the design also includes both a layout plan and a 3-D rendering! Their articles always provide both the common and botanical names of plants, one little feature that 'spoils' you. This magazine inspired me to return to school for a degree in horticulture!!
Positive chunx
San Diego, CA
August 30, 2005
A few weeks ago, I received one of their free preview issues to check out. I was very impressed, so I ordered the magazine. I figured the preview issue would be a lot better than what I would receive regularly, but I just received my first subscription issue last week. I was wrong! This is a very informative magazine and had a lot of topics that pertained to my area and my tastes. Keep in mind that I've purchased a couple of million gardening magazines and books which mostly ended up in the trash.

The very first issue has an exact small backyard garden design I had been looking for. I began to do my planning and have it almost ready to plant. I've lined up most of the plants they recommended and I'm really looking forward to seeing the results. There wasn't anything hotsy totsy about the design (like in Garden Design magazine), and I enjoyed every article on plant descriptions, pests, how to, etc. This is one great magazine with a wealth of information. And to top it all off, no advertising!

If they keep it up, they will have a life long subscriber. I would recommend this magazine for the beginning gardner all the way to the advanced. This is now my favorite magazine right along there with This Old House.
Positive maggiemoo
Conroe, TX (Zone 9a)
February 26, 2005
One of the things I like best about this magazine is that they offer heat zone info as well as hardiness zones (it's usually the heat that kills plants in south TX), and they always offer alternantive plant selections. Their reader's tips are always helpful, and I agree with others that my only wish is that this would come every month instead of every two months!
Positive Joyous
Himrod, NY (Zone 6a)
February 23, 2005
My favortite gardening magazine. I am blessed to have a complete set of "Garden Gate" and treasure each and every one of them.
Positive trunnels
Plano, TX (Zone 8a)
February 16, 2005
I love getting this magazine. So many hints that are truly helpful, and not too much advertising.
Positive Windy
Belleville , IL (Zone 6b)
December 16, 2004
I love this magazine. I even got a gift subscription for my neighbor who I think needed a little more knowledge about plants.
It is an ideal magazine for the winter months. If you can't find time during the busy growing season it is a good magazine to curl up and read by the fire.
Positive GrnThmbRookie
Hartford, WI
July 16, 2004
I LOVE this magazine! I picked up one copy at the grocery store and then immediately got on-line to buy a two year subscription.

It is just right for a semi-beginning gardener like me, but I think the more experienced gardeners will love it, too. So many garden magazines are either just pretty pictures or overly-technical. This is neither. It has easy-to-understand instructions and great pictures. The best part is the diagrams with plant lists and alternate plant lists so you can easily re-create some of the ideas that you like.

The only hard part is waiting for the next issue!
Positive langbr
Olathe, KS (Zone 6a)
August 25, 2003
Love it!! Tons of info from readers, staff authors, and good links to suppliers of the plants and products mentioned in the articles. My only comment for improvement...wish it came every month!
Positive rutholive
Tonasket, WA (Zone 5a)
August 19, 2003
Very readable magazine. I especially like their Tips & Techniques, From the Test Garden, and also What's New. I live in a small rural area and depend on magazines for much of my info and shopping. Also have very good pertinent articles.
Positive Joan
Belfield, ND (Zone 4a)
August 14, 2003
A very informative magazine. One of my top two favorite magazines that I get.
Positive Terry
Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a)
August 14, 2003
Great ideas, beautiful gardens and no (or very limited) advertising. Well worth the annual subscription!