The scoop on 'The Heirloom Gardener Magazine'

The Heirloom Gardener Magazine

Mansfield, Missouri 65704 (United States)

This company is affiliated with Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.

Company Comment, posted on January 11, 2005:
THE HEIRLOOM GARDENER MAGAZINE

"The First In Heritage"

At last, a magazine for serious gardeners that is beautifully illustrated in full color! It is for home gardeners, seed savers, specialty growers, heritage cooks and history buffs. We average 15 feature length articles per issue on topics covering all aspects of vegetable varieties and history, organic cultivation, antique flowers, marketing specialty produce, seed saving, gene-altered foods, exotic seed collecting trips, traditional uses for plants, and growing and historical facts about ethnic varieties.

We started this magazine in March 2003, for you... the heirloom gardeners... and have had nothing but positive responses from America's best writers, gardeners and farmers. You have been wonderful in supporting this new venture and making it grow into a beautiful quarterly magazine that is free of corporate advertising. We only accept ads that are of interest to gardeners (no chemicals, tobacco, or auto ads).

Here is what gardeners are saying...

Dear Mr. Gettle, Your magazine gets better all the time! We love it and mention it often in our columns and on our radio program. It takes courage to launch a magazine these days and we wish you the best of success with it. We'll spread the word about your jewel.
Doc & Katy Abraham, Naples, NY
Authors, Radio & TV Hosts

Dear Mr. Gettle, I have enjoyed the first two editions of The Heirloom Gardener Magazine. A wonderful addition to the field of preserving our horticultural heritage.
Wesley Green, Williamsburg, VA
Garden Historian
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Comments:

Positive oldtimin
Montpelier, OH
August 24, 2006
I have subscribed to this mag since its begining. I look forward to each issue and have it read from cover to cover in short order. My only complaint is that I enjoy the mag so much that only getting 4 issues a year makes the wait seem like forever.
Positive towers
(Zone 6a)
January 7, 2006
just got my order and even got change back wish was a surprise to me some companys well not to this so im giving them a A +
Well order from them soon
Positive Joan
Belfield, ND (Zone 4a)
March 22, 2005
I just subscribed to this publication recently, and I have to say that the first issue I received has been very informative and well put together. I have read it cover to cover at least twice, and I'm anxiously waiting for the next one.
Negative regianilaw
Saint Paul, MN
March 4, 2005
Let me begin by saying that I like this company and I like the idea of this magazine, but I'm afraid that this a case of great intentions mared by poor execution. The writting as a whole was terrible. I found it hard to read the artcles even though I found some of the subjects compelling.
Positive toad_ca
Los Angeles, CA
March 3, 2004
This is a fascinating and physically beautiful magazine. There is nothing else out there like it (as far as I know). And it's not just for the heirloom specialist. I'm a novice, but the articles and the pictures inspire me to try new things. They make the "exotic" accessible for the home gardener.
Positive Amberlin
February 23, 2004
Wow, each issue get's better and it was great to begin with! I have to say... there's more content in this magazine than a handful of most gardening magazines put together! There are very few ads and the articles aren't fluffy as they are in other gardening magazines.

The illustrations and photos are a delight.

As a gardener and seedsaver for over 20 years, this magazine actually informs me of things I don't already know by going in-depth on varieties, origins, and uses of vegetables, flowers, herbs, trees, even weeds! I also appreciate attention to unique growing methods. The price is a bargain for the amount of information packed into the pages.

This magazine is a delight and perfect for when I can't be outside digging. I learn something with every article. It's definitely a keeper as far as adding it to the gardening library for reference. I look forward to future issues!
Positive gorbee
September 29, 2003
For your general requirements 'The Heirloom Gardener' is a must; also, for those more exotic plants from far away places like Thailand, Japan, China, India and Hawaii.
Its a joy to read the many articles, from authors at home and abroad. To admire Jere's layout of the magazine, the beauty of the illustrations and photographs.
Among letters to the Editor are those of praise for a delightful magazine.
I found an attentive staff who are only to pleased to help and advise you. They are also busy dispatching seeds orders to various places around the world.
So why not subscribe with over 2000 others, to this delightful magazine?
Positive Terry
Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a)
August 14, 2003
Did I dream the second edition? (If so, it was a great dream!) Jere and his staff are doing an excellent job of bringing heirloom vegetables and related topics to light for a new generation that is wising up and looking to escape the snare of hybrids.
Positive dave
August 14, 2003
As I write this, the magazine is so new that only one issue has been released so far. The magazine is pure heirloom gardening, giving tips on heirloom plants, as well as following the politics surrounding open-pollinated vs. genetically modified organisms. The editor, Jere of Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, is well known in this community and has managed to gather together an impressive group of gardening writers. This magazine is in my "Top 3" of gardening magazines, and is a must-have for anyone interested in heirloom gardening.