The scoop on 'Burks' Nursery'

Burks' Nursery

Benton, Arkansas 72018-1207 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $1 US, $2 foreign

Comments:

Neutral macuidhir
Manassas, VA
October 6, 2005
As of the middle of September, Burks Nursery's nursery stock has been sold, to Kevin Belmonte (kevinbel@mydestiny.net)

No word on if/when we'll be able to order from Kevin.

Too bad as I spent most of August researching which Hawortias to get (was up to about $75 worth.) (was also doing an order from Mesa Garden which took priority. Missed chances, as they say.)

Speaking of which: suggest that user "arkiedee" go here for all the Haworthia pics you could ask for:

wasn't that simple? And I found it just by doing a Google on Haworthia...

-p
Positive rusty2004
Lodi, CA
June 18, 2004
I put a order in the 9th of june and received my collections today, 17th, plants are beautiful, very well rooted, packed nicely, not my 1st order. Very pleased.
Marlene Motz
On May 6th, 2005, rusty2004 added the following:

I got my 1st order for this year, could not resist, the plants were large, very well rooted, packed very good. Very good customer service.
Marlene
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
August 12, 2003
I enjoy this nursery.....the plants are a reasonable size, and appear cared for. Maybe the prices are slightly high, but Lois has no competition. What is humorous about the catalog is the descriptions about where the plants are found, embarrassing in their detail. Does anyone really care that so and so species is found 1.66 miles from Timbucktu, next to a small rock, which was turned over by a pink cadillac as it drove by at 85 MPH....OK, I'm exaggerating, but not by a lot. The various forms in the catalog of each species often differ from each other only slightly, but Lois makes a big deal about the variations, many of which run into one another if a large series of plants are collected. I only buy a few plants at one time...would buy 1,000% more if the nursery was open to the public and I could pick out my own plants. This is an unfortunate decision on Lois' part....some nursery's apparently don't want the extra business....I don't get it!
Negative arkiedee
Mabelvale, AR (Zone 7b)
August 12, 2003
Imagine my delight when I found a local company which was a source for cacti and succulents. I was even more pleased to see that the company had "specialists in rare, seldom offered Haworthias and Gasterias." (Quote from website.)

The downside - the website has no pictures. The paper catalog has no pictures. Not an issue, the company is just nine miles down the road from me, I can go look at the plants.

Not open to the public. Ms. Burks will describe the plant on the phone to you, but you can't see it (or a representative sample, as in a photo), before you buy.

I have to wonder about a nursery owner who thinks you should take her verbal description of a plant, and then stress it out by mailing it nine miles, rather than letting you see what you are paying for before she gets your money.
Positive Patrick
Muncie, IN (Zone 5B)
December 1, 2001
Burks' is generally considered the primier grower of haworthias in the USA. The selection is by far the largest and the plants are well-grown and reasonably priced. Most plants contain location data which is important to species collectors. Lois Burks is most knowledgable and very friendly as well.
Positive breckbrecken
September 1, 1996
I can highly recommend this nursery, which specializes in haworthias and gasterias (primarily). The owner, Lois Burks, is very personable, accommodating to even the most persnickity questions, is knowledgeable and they (she and Bob her husband) have good quality plants, reasonably prices and packed them well. I have bought over 7 shipments from them in the last year, totaling over $150, and am completely satisfied. The Burks' are one of the "Good Guys" in mail order today.