The scoop on 'Indiana Berry & Plant Co.'

Indiana Berry & Plant Co.

2811 US Hwy 31
Plymouth, Indiana 46563 (United States)

Phone: 800-295-2226
Fax: 574-784-2468

Visit Indiana Berry & Plant Co. at:

Company Comment, posted on February 1, 2001:
According to the Wisconsin Berry Grower's Association Nov.'99 newsletter, Brittingham Plant Farms was sold to Nourse Farms of Whatley MA and Indiana Berry and Plant Farm of Huntingburg IN as of October, 1999.The sale included customer lists, which could explain the confusion illustrated below....

Comments:

Positive SunsetLakeFarm
Akron, OH
May 31, 2014
We bought raspberry plants (50 each of Caroline and Nantahala) from Indiana Berry Farm in April 2013. Plants arrived quickly and in good shape. We had beds prepared - rototilled multiple times to wipe out the existing weeds, with slightly elevated rows to plant the berries into made of about a 50/50 mix of commercial topsoil and well-rotted horse manure from a local stable. Rows are about five feet apart. Plants took well - probably lost a couple, but new sprouts made up for the difference in short order. Fertilized with an organic fertilizer a couple times during summer 2013 (I prefer organic fertilizer because I have a tendency to kill things by overfertilizing with non-organics :-) and no additional water provided (it was a wet summer here in northern Ohio last year). Plants grew and resprouted well, bloomed and produced a moderate crop in fall 2013. Cleaned out old canes in late winter/early spring 2014, and spring regrowth was very good to phenomenal. Caroline's came back well, but the Nantahala's have been amazing - thick, heavy stand of strong plants. Have weeded a couple times - raspberries do *not* like competition and will be crowded out by just about anything - and have rototilled between the rows once to wipe out the weeds between the rows and to keep the berries from spreading too thickly into the inter-row areas. Have fertilized once and will be providing them with drip irrigation this summer. Pleased with quality of supplied plants and survival over a *very* bitter winter this year (colder than normal - many nights below zero - more nights below -10 than I ever remember). Overall very pleased with results. Will be moving blackberries to new bed shortly so we can put in more raspberries, which we will order from Indiana Berry.
Positive esanita
TYASKIN, MD (Zone 7a)
May 16, 2014
Have order strawberries and blueberries from Indiana Berry for many years. They always arrive in great shape. I will continue ordering from them.
Positive bubbacat1
Berthoud, CO
April 30, 2014
I received incredibly good service from this company & will do more business with them in the future. What I really appreciated was the fact they addressed my wishes for a ship date. We were going to be out of town & I informed them of my concern. They immediately wrote me back & asked about a specific alternative date. All my new plants arrived packed with care & in great shape. These folks get an A+++ from me!
Positive NAndover31
North Andover, MA
April 23, 2014
I received my order today. All items (9 raspberries, 3 blackberries, 6 blueberries) are accounted for, alive, viable and in appearance healthy. This is my first order with Indiana Berry and I'm impressed with the quality and condition of the plants I received. All the plants appear healthy, have good root systems, all have buds. I'm satisfied. I received everything I ordered and all the plants are alive and healthy..

I will recommend them to others and most likely will order from them again.
Positive Mtucker
Zionsville, IN
April 14, 2014
An excellent box of berry plants arrived last week com Indiana Berry. Very impressive give the crazy spring weather these companies are having to navigate. I planted 3 currants, 5 gooseberries, and two blackberries yesterday. All the plants were carefully wrapped and arrived in excellent condition. The currants and the gooseberry plants were Impressive. Excellent root-balls. One blackberry plant looked a bit spent, but it is too early to tell. I was very happy with this order considering its size compared to giant orders from farmers. Thank you!
Negative rippedofftoday
Celina, TX
March 27, 2014
I certainly got a negative response when I called them today for assistance and they certainly did not fix my problem immediately. I ordered 350 strawberry plants that should have already been here. Maybe they only cater to customers that buy in bulk and not the average backyard gardener. I called them today and they said that UPS delivered them at 8:29 PM a week ago. My driveway is about a mile off the gravel county road and we have been home every night for the past 3 months. I had spinal surgery and we have not gone hardly any where and certainly not after dark. If someone drove all the way down our mile long driveway, we would have known it before they got out to "leave" them on the porch in the pitch dark of the night. My other deliveries from Gurney's and Territorial Seed Co. were delivered in the early afternoon and not in the pitch dark night. I called the company and the young clerk said she would get back with me. Then UPS called and said that their trucks have cameras and such and would get back with me in a week or so after they had completed all their investigations. I know a UPS manager in the next county and called him to verify the BS that the UPS rep had given me. No they don't have cameras in their vehicles like the rep said, the cameras they have are backup cameras like the cars have to assist in backing. What a joke. FOLKS this is strawberries, they don't last that long enclosed in a plastic bag thrown God only knows where. We drove up to the neighbors houses off the county road and checked with them but no such luck. So I called back and asked to talk to the supervisor or manager at Indiana Plant Co. She was as useless as UPS. I explained that it was necessary to get them into the ground ASAP as the heat in Texas would not be kind to them if we did not. I asked if they did not make it when they finally sent me more to plant later, were they going to reimburse me for dead plants and she said that we will cross that bridge when we get to it. So here I sit on my thumbs with the new raised beds we have built and the 5 yards of compost we paid to have delivered in; waiting on the strawberry plants that Indiana Plant Co. is stalling us on. I did not invest this much time and trouble into a berry patch to have this company screw up my hard work. I got out there and busted my butt even with the spinal surgery I had a few months ago. We wanted our strawberries going this year. Not next year; because if they keep screwing around, that is what it is going to wind up being, next year. Beware before you buy from them. Their customer service for the smaller customer like me stinks!

Company representative comment on March 28, 2014:
On Mar 28, 2014 7:29 AM, Indiana Berry & Plant Co. responded with:

I was so disappointed to read this review. I don't feel like this customer has given us or UPS a chance to resolve this issue. The customer notified us that they had not received their plants. We checked our records which indicated the plants were shipped on time and, according to UPS, delivered. I understand that the customer disputes the fact that they were delivered. We immediately called UPS and started the process of trying to determine what had happened. I do not understand how that makes us a bad company with poor customer service. I asked the customer to give us a day or two to look into this and I would expedite a new order the following week. I don't know what else we could have done.

Positive RobThomas
Readyville, TN
April 27, 2013
I ordered brambles- blackberries and raspberries. Prices are some of the best on the internet. I also like that you don't have to order in groups of five, like many others require. The root systems were good and all plants have leafed out.

The only real issue was the ship date. When I placed the order, their website indicated it would ship February 18th. The confirmation email confirmed that date. The 18th came and went with no shipment. I emailed them and the reply indicated the order wouldn't ship until March 20th.

Overall great prices and good plants, but I'd recommend getting the delivery confirmation issue worked out.
Company representative comment on June 11, 2013:
On Jun 11, 2013 3:36 PM, Indiana Berry & Plant Co. responded with:

We try to ship according to your hardiness zone so that you don't receive plants when the ground is still frozen. I have been unable to find an order for you so am unsure what state you live in so am assuming Feb. 18th was too early for your zone and March 20th was a better date for your area.

Positive CherryMN
Anoka, MN
March 10, 2013
A pleasure to do business with these folks! Online ordering was easy and secure, no issues. My plants arrived per my requested date. I had ordered raspberries: Nova Red and Anne Gold. My first observation was how extremely well developed the roots were, especially on the Anne Golds. Within days of planting 5 of the 6 plants had leafed out nicely. It took that sixth plant a little while, but it eventually caught up. I had at least two of the Anne Golds bear some fruit in late summer and into fall, quite delicious. All plants went into winter looking healthy. IMO the prices were already good, but for the value the prices were great. I would definitely buy from Indiana Berry again.
Positive Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY
April 6, 2012
I've bought from these folks before and have been very pleased. Ordered 40 raspberries and 100 asparagus plants. The asparagus roots are fat and well grown. The raspberry plants look equally good. The folks were really nice on the phone and ordering early got me a 10% discount. They also e-mailed when the plants were shipped. That's always nice.
Positive goodgrowing
Dexter, MO
December 17, 2011
Last year I ordered bare root blueberries, blackberries & asparagus from several companies, including Indiana Berry & Plant. The plants had outstanding root systems. Wow, I was afraid if I got too close to them they would swallow me up before I could get them in the ground! All of them took immediately and thrived (despite our 20+ inches of rain in two days). The company packed them well, shipped when I requested and had great communication. I'll be back for more!
Positive timonsgirl
Mount Prospect, IL
May 5, 2011
I cannot recommended this company highly enough.

I ordered 50 strawberry plants and the strawberry pyramid. Many companies sell this pyramid but Indiana Berry has one of the lowest prices I've seen on it and they actually throw in another 50 strawberry plants with the pyramid for free. That's something I've not seen any other company do.

That in itself is outstanding but the plants are even better.

I received the dormant plants with huge, healthy root systems on them. Some of the roots were almost 8 inches long.

I kept them in the fridge for a few days until we could get the pyramid put up.

We planted them last Saturday and today, only 5 days later, almost every single plant already has fresh, green growth on them. I don't think I've ever seen dormant plants spring to life so vigorously.

Outstanding company and outstanding plants!
Positive ricebeagle
Sunbury, OH
January 10, 2011
This is one of the only companies that I will order live plants from.

In spring of 2010 I ordered 20 fall-bearing raspberries, 10 Autumn Bliss and 10 Caroline. They arrived in April as small sticks with roots. In September, we harvested dozens of huge berries from our 4-5ft tall plants. We couldn't ask for better first year results.

I've ordered other plants from them in the past, with similar results.
Positive George5008
Hartville, OH
May 12, 2010
Over the last year, I've ordered from Nourse, Indiana Berry, and Heartland blueberries, and have been very happy with all three.

I don't think that I'll order from any more of the big companies; have not been as impressed with them as with these companies.

In the spring rush this year, Indiana Berry's computer system had mislaid my order. I emailed them, and they promptly corrected the problem, and reduced shipping rates to me.

The plant came in good condition.
Neutral doctrtim
Salisbury, VT
May 3, 2009
Small but healthy blueberry bushes arrived in good shape.
On June 8th, 2009, doctrtim changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

One of two blueberry plants is dead and the other is dwindling. Customer service rapidly sent a response to this situation and reports they will send replacements in Spring 2010. I must agree with an earlier posted comment that price and size of plants may be more appropriate for mass plantings than for home garden specimens. Three seaberry plants received are small but growing well.
Positive grayplmb
Indianapolis, IN
March 31, 2009
I have been wanting to set a 12'x60' area out with berries but wanted to get plants from a local grower. Lucked in and found Indiana Berry Company. Got 60 of the plants I ordered the day after they shipped and the 20 others the week after (backorder). All roots on the plants were very nice and well packed. Two weeks later (March 20th) and I have green leaves all over the sticks with roots I recieved. Very happy with this company and have recommend them to friends and family. The only down side with all the plants a ordered (80) I am missing one blueberry plant. Planning to order from Indiana Berry Company again next year.
Doug, in Indiana
Positive starlight1153
Seale, AL (Zone 8b)
March 13, 2009
On the recommendation of another master Dg fruit and veggie grower. I ordere d from this company an was very much surprised by what I received. I had expected small tiny rooted strawberry runenr plants and I got well developed plants with 6-8" roots, a growign guide and they were shipped right on time and I ordered just two days before I wante d them shipped.

I was impressed with company and wil be ordering more plants from them. Had ordered 100 strawberry plants and wish now I woudl have doubled them since the product was nice and healthy.
Positive Cambria
Hinckley, OH
January 2, 2009
I had to re-plant my raspberry patch this spring, May 2008, and did not expect to have a harvest this fall. I ordered 25 Heritage bare root raspberries, asparagus and rhubarb. The raspberry roots were much bigger than expected, and even had a woody base to prove to me they were second-year roots. There were live shoots on many of them, and I even separated them from the main roots and planted them. The plants that resulted were vigorous and health. I did mulch. My fall harvest was a total shock. It was a great year, and not only did I have enough from 25 plants to eat, I actually used some in making jelly. The asparagus also did well. The best result was my rhubarb. While most people have no trouble growing it, I have tried for four years with no luck. I ordered a variety that was said to grow well in heavy soil, and the plant has done excellent, and I even was able to harvest some this year. All in all, this was a better than average experience. I generally try to buy local when it comes to plants, but I would order from them again in a heartbeat.
Positive CO_Gardener
Broomfield, CO
May 26, 2008
5/11/08, I ordered 5 red and 3 gold raspberry and 25 strawberry plants. Indiana Berry ships (UPS) on Mondays so my plants shipped 5/19 and were received 5/22/08. I could have doubled the shipping cost and received the plants one day earlier. I am impressed with the packaging. All roots were moist upon arrival. I immediately planted. Although I ordered late, all plants seem to be doing well. The only concern I have is that the raspberries may have been incorrectly pulled - the batch of 5 is labeled 'Fall Gold' and the batch of 3 labeled 'Caroline'. I am hoping they were incorrectly labeled, but not a huge issue for me, as they all should divide soon enough. Selection is good, they had the plants in stock at the late date that I decided to order, shipping cost was reasonable and the plants look great. Although new to berry growing, I've read that smaller berry plants transplant better and these plants seem to be the perfect size. I'll definitely order from this company again but will keep in mind the proper planting times for my selected plants - which for berries is more like January (not May) for CO. If any of these plants die, I'll blame myself and not Indiana Berry.
Negative GLONG6
Pierre Part, LA
May 22, 2008
I ORDERED 10 BLACKBERRY PLANTS-6 WERE DOA- I ORDERED 10 MORE WITH THE SIX THEY REPLACED FROM THE ORIGINAL ORDER AND ALL 16 WERE DOA
NEVER AGAIN I JUST LOST MY MONEY
Positive Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA (Zone 5b)
April 17, 2008
This was my first order with Indiana Berry, and I am very impressed! The original order was find, and they called me and told me that the Arapaho Thornless BB was on back order, and asked if this was ok, and if they became available did I still want them...they called me several weeks later, asking if I wanted them, because my complete order was going out within the week...I was like, YES! and Thank you! The plants all arrived healthy and in great condition, 4 blueberries, 10 raspberries, 10 blackberries, and 3 grapes. The size of the grape vines are HUGE!
Customer satisfaction-OUTSTANDING AND SUPERB!
Plant material-Superb!
If I every need to replace any of my purchases, or get a larger property to plant on, I will definitely be ordering from Indiana Berry!
Positive kattrox
Floyds Knobs, IN (Zone 6b)
May 22, 2007
I had purchased 75 jewel strawberry plants this spring and what arrived in time for planting were the biggest plants I have ever gotten they are all thriving in my garden and are now in the process of producing runners. Excellent plants from an excellent company I highly recommend thanks Indiana Berry!
Positive Macknrose
Poseyville, IN
April 13, 2007
I am thrilled to do business with Indiana Berry Company. I ordered 25 prelude raspberrys from them and a gooseberry and a elderberry plant from them. They told me they would ship them on the 11th of April. I got them on the evening of the 12th and put them in the ground on the 13th. They are large plants and well rooted and well packed with the roots moist. If I loose any of these plants, it will not be their falt since the plants are so healthy. I am pleased that they are in business, highly recommend them and plan on doing business with them next year. If you want healthy plants and great advice then go to Indiana Berry Company. They deliver what they promise.
Positive meadowsong
Bloomington, IN
March 20, 2006
Dad and I went to these folks in person, after contacting them by e-mail to find out if this was okay.

We received wonderful advice from them about what varieties of strawberries to get taking our climate, use, and soil type into account, what to expect from the plants, how to care for them until planting, and how to care for them when planted. We ordered three varieties and took them home. The plants grew wonderfully, and the berries taste incredibly delicious. Yummy!

I'll pass on this advice from them: Honoye (spelling?) has good flavor when grown in light sandy soil, but not in clay soil.

We also bought a PawPaw tree from them which is growing well.

Southern Monroe County
Bloomington, Indiana
Positive alanamil
Saint Pauls, NC
March 9, 2006
I am very happy with my dealings with them!
Ordered 1,000 strawberry plants and 10 raspberrys... they were very helpful and friendly on the phone and I got my order very quickly and packed very well. I will be ordering from them again.!!
Positive Margot2
Knoxville, TN
January 1, 2006
I had a completely positive experience with Indiana Berry. I bought 25 or so red raspberry canes (Heritage) from them early in 2004. The canes shipped were of good size, beautifully rooted and well packed. They also arrived promptly. Indiana Berry patiently helped me with the questions I had about row width and plot preparation. We planted the canes and have been deluged with berries now across two growing seasons, with no problems whatsoever. I'll happily do business with them again and plan to do so in 2006 for a new blackberry patch.
Neutral krowten
Greensburg, PA
December 14, 2005
Indiana Berry Company was the first mail order plant company I ever dealt with many years ago. They were nice to deal with, and fulfilled orders reliably. Unfortunately for me, plant sizes were very small and after a few years of small sales, I eventually discovered Raintree and later One Green World. Even though RT and OGW charge more for their plants, I have found plant sizes to be much, much larger and very worth the cost difference.

For example, one of my earlier orders included a male and female seaberry. The male plant was probably the smallest mail order fruit plant I ever received and did not survive. The female has only now attained a size sufficient to start blooming. My disappointment with the male sent me looking to other companies, such as RT and OGW. My experience with OGW is that plants produce the year received or the next, whereas plants from IndBerry took many years.

At this point, I would only consider IndBerry if I was looking for large numbers at limited cost.

A second problem I encountered was Indiana's plant labels faded to nothing the first year. I was not expecting this, and had to work to re-identify plants with illegible labels years later. The other companies mentioned here come with labels that last years.

I struggled with the "neutral" rating, as they were a reliable and pleasant company to deal with, just not a very good value for me. If you are looking for limited numbers of quality plants, I would look elsewhere first.
Positive sylvi74
East Bethel, MN (Zone 4a)
June 8, 2005
I ordered currants, gooseberries, and rhubarb from Indiana Berry and Plant this year. The plants are some of the nicest that I have ever received through mail order. All of them are putting out all sorts of leaves and new growth. I mishandled one of the gooseberries and figured I had killed it, all my fault, but I planted it anyway. It is now growing fast and doing every bit as well as the others, in spite of me! The rhubarb roots are large and producing nice leaves and bright red stalks. It is nice to get plants for Michigan's weird weather that have been grown nearby so I know they can handle what nature will dish out. I highly recommend this company.
Positive PlantsnobIN
Paoli, IN
March 31, 2005
Ordered blackberry, raspberry, hardy kiwi, gooseberry, grapes rhubarb, blueberry, asparagus, currants and elderberry. Very nice person on the phone when I placed my order. I called back the next week to add items, they were added with no mix-up. They said they would be shipped on the 30th. I rec'd them on the 30th as I only live about an hour from them. All the plants had very nice root systems and look like they will take off great.
Positive gardennerd
Newfoundland, NJ
March 23, 2005
Ordered several hardy kiwi last year. About half grew good and strong reaching around 8 feet the first year. Several barely grew at all, but I would attribute this to my inexperience. Everything went smoothly with the transaction and shipping was adequate but not particularly inspired. Plant size was rather small at shipping but not unreasonable. I would order from them again.
Positive Herbinfarmers
June 22, 2004
I am always pleased with my orders from Indiana Berry. The plants are healthy and grow wonderfully. Prices are great. I am very happy to have found this company. :)
Positive boren
May 26, 2004
Placed my order very late in the season for strawberry plants, rhubarb and blue berry bushes. They were very pleasent on the phone, and shipped out my order quickly. The strawberry plants were excellent and are growing great. The rhubarb roots were HUGE. The blue berry plants are getting settled in nicely. I look forward to doing more business with them.
Positive daffy1a
Highland, IL
May 14, 2004
I ordered asparagus roots and rhubarb over the phone and was very happy with the pleasant person who took my order. The plants arrived promptly and came with detailed planting and harvesting instructions. All sprouted quickly and look very healthy. I'm very, very pleased with your company and have already recommended you to others.
Positive Tribeola
Mogadore, OH
May 7, 2004
Ordered 50 strawberry plants this spring. Shipped on the date requested, received them two days later. Instructions came on how to store before planting and how to plant. I called them about timing for my order and they were pleasant and knowledgeable. I will plan on doing business with them next year - maybe raspberries or grapes!
On May 17th, 2004, Tribeola added the following:

Two weeks later - out of the 50 strawberry plants received and planted I lost only one. I highly recommend this company!
Positive eyeckr
Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 8a)
March 12, 2004
I ordered a few things from them including: Lingonberry, cranberry, gooseberry and currant. They seemed pretty knowledgeable and friendly. Packaging was good to fair and the plants looked reasonably healthy. Overall a good experience so far.
Positive klz001
Columbia, SC
July 11, 2003
These seem like nice folks. I called them on the phone this past spring, ordered some plants, and asked if they could send them ASAP. I was told they'd be mailed the next day, and sure enough, within a week or so my plants arrived.

Great prices too.
Positive Rugosarugrat
May 16, 2003
This IS the company to go to if you're looking for edibles. I was very impressed with the quick service and superb raspberries and strawberries they sent. The packing job was absolutely first rate. The only puzzling question I have is why there aren't more ratings for this great company? Prices are reasonable to low and they send very healthy, large stock. You bet I'll be back.
Positive rulien
Fruitland, ID
April 21, 2003
What a great place to order strawberry plants! I visited their website and decided to order bundles of three different varieties (currently you must order by telephone or email). The plants arrived the first week of April as requested.

Of the seventy five plants I ordered, 74 of them are growing vigorously! NOT TO BAD! The bundles were still frozen upon arrival despite being shipped in excess of 1,800 miles!

Just a note to you home gardeners... when planting your strawberry plants, try my FUNNEL method! Till/Spade your row, then push a small funnel (upsidedown) into the soil in order to make a cone. Lightly trim and spread your strawberry plant roots to fit over the cone. Pull loose soil around the roots and pack it firmly. Your plant's crown should be at soil level upon completion. For more information feel free to email me (rulien@fiberpipe.net).
Positive farbble
June 1, 2002
Ordered 50 asparagus plants by phone from them this year. Plants arrived quickly, were in great shape, held in the refrigerator well, took well once planted. I will order from Indiana Berry again.
Positive IndianaJack
Wilkinson, IN
May 1, 2002
Ordered strawberry plants they came right away. Packed very well. Planted them and they took right off. Looking forward to strawberry short cake!
Positive AgTalker
Tehachapi
United States
April 23, 2002
Ordered Blackberry plants. They arrived as ordered. Very large plants, well packed. Excellent customer service. This company came highly recommended from another grower. I will do business with them again next year.