The scoop on 'Almost Heaven Antique and Modern Roses'

Almost Heaven Antique and Modern Roses

229 Rickard Lane
Iron Station, North Carolina 28080 (United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark March 2013, It appears that this company is no longer on line. If anyone has information concerning their status, please use the Contact Us link to inform our editors.

Comments:

Positive wildviolets
Killen, AL
September 28, 2012
Years ago I had been in contact with Almost Heaven Antique and Modern Roses.. but I believe they are out of business.. as I found where the Owner passed away in 2010..
Neutral valleyten
Sevierville, TN
April 8, 2012
I have to give this a "Neutral" rating because I couldn't access their website. It took me to a Chinese or Japanese website where, of course, I couldn't understand anything. I tried several times, and always the same result. A website that definitely was not the one I wanted.
What's going on?
Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
June 21, 2010
Posted on September 1, 2008, updated June 21, 2010
I ordered 3 miniflora roses from Almost Heaven.
(Fitzhugh's diamond, Tiffany Lynn, and Memphis Music).
Memphis Music was bad from out of the box. I called and was basically told that they have no problems so it must be me. I explained that the plant was weak from the beginning. They weren't buying it. The gentleman on the phone said that they would replace it although this was the "first time we've had any problems". (This is a rose mail order company and they have NO PROBLEMS. Now I'm not buying it).
Well, I don't have my rose and Almost Heaven doesn't have my business. I'm giving this a neutral rating because the other two roses are fine (and were fine right out of the box).
Very fishy company to me.
On June 21st, 2010, divvajacko changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Well, I did go back to Almost Heaven this year because there are so few places to purchases miniatures. I bought Robin Alonso, Joy, Hot Princess (Hybrid tea), Quietness (buck shrub) and one other plant that I can't remember.

They are just fine. I definitely don't put their plants into the ground first thing. They needed some development. The two other plants that I mentioned in my prior review are fine.

I'm back and I'll keep looking at Almost Heaven.
Positive Miss_Huff
Flemington, NC (Zone 7a)
December 31, 2009
Back in 2001 or 2002, I ordered 3 or 4 roses from Almost Heaven. All but one did well and it was a finicky, temperamental beauty named Katherine Mermet. The roses were reasonably priced, well-packaged and healthy. All you can ask from any mail-order company.... n'est-ce pas? The owners were very kind. I hope Almost Heaven is still in business. I want to thank them for providing a very satisfying mail-order transaction.
Positive steph_gem
San Diego, CA (Zone 10b)
July 5, 2007
I ordered two hybrid teas and two mini's and they are beautiful and healthy.....
Positive jojomood
Saint Joseph, MO
October 26, 2006
I placed an order for 8 roses last Spring with Almost Heaven Roses. I received my own root hybrid tea roses the next week. They were the strongest, healthiest, and largest own root roses that I received from any own-root rose vendor ever. They were so good I turned around and placed a second order so I have every own-root hybrid tea rose he offers for sale. The second order was a repeat of the first order. Healthy, vigorous, and hardy roses that took off from the start when I transplanted them to bigger pots. By the Fall season, every plant except one was big and strong enough to transplant into the garden, which I did. The other plant will be big enough by spring next year I am sure. The quality and service cannot be beat and the price makes the whole package the best deal you can get for own-root hybrid tea roses. I am now going to place an order for miniature roses,most of which Vernon hybridyzed himself, this next time and I am confident the process will be as positive as the two previous times have been.
On May 15th, 2007, jojomood added the following:

I placed and received another order of 10 miniature roses in Spring of 2007 from this company and was again very pleased with the outcome.
Great customer service and timely delivery of very high quality miniature roses this time.
They carry the most beautiful mini's and mini-flora's available for exhibition and garden enjoyment.
I will recommend this company to anyone at anytime.
Good work Vernon Rickard.
Positive NewYorkRose
Bellport, NY
November 18, 2004
One of my Top 3 favorite rose vendors. Very healthy plants with very well-developed root systems. I planted some quite late in the season last year, and they had absolutely no die-back in one of the coldest winters on record for Long Island. They were also the first to bloom this spring!

I highly recommend them!
Positive texasdeb
Lubbock, TX
September 22, 2004
My one and only order in spring 2004 came in as promised. The $5 plants looked as good as some I have paid much more for at other businesses. They were healthy and have grown very well. The prices, shipping, and service was great and I would definitely order from them again. I only dealt with them on the phone and never attempted e-mailing them. I never had a problem getting through to them and their website is very easy to use.
Negative msanjelpie
Meridian, ID
June 17, 2004
I placed an order via email on 3/31. (They don't have an automated ordering system.)

I received no confirmation, either via email or phone.

On May 20, I emailed again asking for shipping status.

No response from company

On June 6, I emailed again asking for shipping status.

No response from company

It's as if they are in a black hole and don't exist, and neither do my roses...

DECOBUG
Positive vannmarie
Cordova, MD
May 4, 2004
I found this company on Garden Watchdog. I was looking for certain types of roses and since we are on a budget, I wanted to shop around. Most of the nurseries that sell roses are priced about the same. However, Almost Heaven will let you buy a smaller plant in a small pot for $5. I received my 8 rose bushes last week and planted them the next day. They are very healthy and look like they will take off immediately. I would definately order from them again.
Positive jenleigh23
March 15, 2004
I have ordered from this company numerous times and have always received great service. It is a wonderful family-run business and the roses that I have received have been in wonderful health when I received them. I have about 20 antique roses from this company that I have had in the ground for about 2 years now. They are beautiful and have flourished. The prices are reasonable too! Definitely don't hesitate to order antique roses from Almost Heaven.