The scoop on 'Yucca Do Nursery'

Yucca Do Nursery

PO Box 1039
Giddings, Texas 78942 (United States)

Phone: 979-542-8811

Visit Yucca Do Nursery at:

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive hardyinokc
Posted on March 8, 2013, updated May 13, 2013
Posted on September 14, 2012, updated March 8, 2013
Posted on July 20, 2012, updated September 14, 2012
Posted on April 7, 2010, updated July 20, 2012
Great plants....Great customer service....My order shipped promptly & was well packaged.....I recommend Yuccado to everyone.
On July 20th, 2012, hardyinokc added the following:

Just received another shipment of plants from Yuccado...all plants were well-rooted and much bigger than expected. IMHO Yuccado is the BEST place to order heat/drought tolerant plants. I've been really impressed with the size and health of all the plants I've received from Yuccado over the past several years. THANX for GREAT plants, GREAT communication, and prompt shipping.
On September 14th, 2012, hardyinokc added the following:

Just received another order of really nice plants yesterday...still impressed with the size of plants sent...& very impressed with YD's customer service...prompt responses to emails & prompt shipping. who could ask for more??? THANX!!! Robert
On March 8th, 2013, hardyinokc added the following:

YD still providing great service and excellent plants...my most recent order arrived yesterday well-packed, good-sized, and healthy...THANX!!!
On May 13th, 2013, hardyinokc added the following:

Received another order of nice, healthy plants...Placed my order online & received it two days later!!! GREAT SERVICE & GREAT PLANTS!!!
On June 20th, 2013, hardyinokc added the following:

Received 3rd plant order for 2013...nice plants well-packed...good communication and prompt delivery...THANX!!!
On July 11th, 2013, hardyinokc added the following:

Received plant order yesterday (ordered several cacti from the YD Summer Sale)...all plants well-packed, well-rooted, nice-sized, & healthy...THANK YOU WADE for your GREAT plants & GREAT customer service!!! Yuccado is my mostest favoritest place to order plants.
On August 9th, 2013, hardyinokc added the following:

yet another great plant order! healthy plants shipped promptly & well-packaged...THANX!!!
On November 8th, 2013, hardyinokc added the following:

Placed order online & it was on my porch 2 days later!!! Great plants & prompt service...THANX!!!!
On April 25th, 2014, hardyinokc added the following:

Thanks Wade for the great plants, good communication, & prompt delivery!!!!
On May 9th, 2014, hardyinokc added the following:

Another great experience! order placed 5-6-14...order arrived on 5-8-14....GREAT PLANTS...hard to imagine a better on-line plant shopping experience than Yuccado...THANX!!!!!!
On July 7th, 2014, hardyinokc added the following:

another positive experience!!! good communication & order arrived promptly....THANX!!!!
Negative TrzPlz
Lyndhurst, OH
June 15, 2012
Wade and I spoke earlier this year about acquiring a few Agave specimens for our collection. After trading a few phone calls and and an email or two, I left the ball in his court regarding availability of specific cultivars. After a few weeks of not hearing from him, I emailed him at least once, maybe twice (and I believe I tired calling him as well) to check on the status of my quote, but unfortunately I never heard back from him regarding my request.

I wasted a lot of time (through my business) trying to get the order nailed down.

Since this appears to be a small backyard nursery, I got the sense that he didn't want the hassle of dealing with me since my order was somewhat small and I was out of state. If you can't handle the mail order business or have restrictions on shipping, then get out of the business.
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
May 26, 2012
Posted on November 6, 2011, updated May 27, 2012
My experience with Yucca Do got off to a bumpy start with an email from Wade (the owner??) stating the Tecoma stans I ordered got "crispied" in the hot Texas sun and two other plants, a Bletilla and Eomecon died back in a freak hot spell so did I still want them?

Er...well, no, I think most people would not want to take a chance on such plants. In my climate, the roots would not have had a chance to regenerate top growth before the winter, making their survival iffy.

OK, so I stuck to two Agaves. Both were damaged upon arrival, I could not ascertain if the damage occurred during shipment or slightly before. The "Hammer Time" had many leaves that were bent about a third of the way down to the degree that the end growth turned brown eventually and withered away. Curiously, 2 "Hammer Times" were sent, I figured one was a gift. Why a company would send a gift plant of a species where every example is like "peas in a pod" is somewhat of a mystery, but in any case the smaller plant was in slightly better condition. However, when I checked Ebay, I noticed sellers were listing both Agaves at $7.95 or less, wheras I paid more for a similar size.

So, while I'm not exactly shouting from the rooftops, I would give Yucca Do another chance. Perhaps in a more normal year weatherwise their stock would not have suffered as much. They do have species that no one else does, and while they may not acclimate well to the East, greenhouse owners and zone 8-10 gardeners may find the Yucca Do catalogue to be a treasure-trove.
On May 26th, 2012, dave12122 added the following:

I decided to give Yucca Do another chance ordering 4 plants- 1 lily, 1 cactus, 1 Agave, and 1 Eustoma. The lily (Dasilyrion wheeleri) was very large and healthy and there was an extra plant included that was slightly smaller. However, I did not like the color of the Ferocactus hamatocanthus. The plant appears to have been grown with too much shading, making the acclimatization to my climate more involved. I would prefer to simply put the specimen in full sun but suspect it would burn badly. The Eustoma apparently behaves like an annual in many gardens, and also goes under the name Lisianthus. Perhaps, if this blooms the seeds will at least survive the winter, we shall see. That leaves the variegated Agave, a decent small specimen. Overall, considering the entire lot was nearly $80.00. I don't feel I have that much for my money. The box could have been sent priority mail for considerably less in 2 days, wheras UPS took 3. Perhaps that method of postage should be an option as well. Overall, I think I would use Yucca Do for the occasional plant I could not get elsewhere. It doesn't rise to the very top of nurseries I deal with for the reasons noted in these two comments.
Positive cics
Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a)
April 2, 2012
Posted on October 17, 2008, updated April 2, 2012
First time to order from them. Ordered an agave ovatifolia (whale's tongue agave), nolina texana (beargrass), and a set of three rhodophiala bifida (oxblood lily) bulbs. 48 hours after my order I received them and they were packaged well and looked great. I even got two extra bulbs. Will definitely order from them again.
On April 2nd, 2012, cics added the following:

Ordered from them a second time to get the montrose purple vitex and some various agaves. I received the order quickly and it was well packaged. Will definitely keep ordering from them.
Positive jerrytate
Lake Charles, LA
November 17, 2011
Posted on October 6, 2011, updated November 17, 2011
YuccaDo is 5-star. Serious plants for serious gardeners.
On November 17th, 2011, jerrytate added the following:

buying agave online can be risky. i avoid the websites that do not offer good photos with scanty info and difficult processess to get to the point where you can actually order what you want. i find YUCCA DO goes to great lengths to provide a very informative and useable site. i know of one other agave website that offers different species and use it regularly,too. so what if you receive a plant you consider too small for the price. or a leaf or 2 is bent/broken. do you know how hard it is to ship these plants to avoid such problems, so unless every leaf is broken, count your blessings that these 5 star nurseries are expending an enormous investment in what they do. just for you. the only complaint i have with YUCCADO is that there is no shipping when i get my Christmas bonus. fortunately, my other source does ship, but they arrive bareroot.
Positive Vcrosstx
Dallas, TX
September 15, 2011
I live in Dallas and have made several orders from Yuccado over the last 3 or 4 years. I have always received quality plants that are of a good size for their value. Texas is a tough climate and they really do a lot of exploration in the field and make available great new plants/cultivars that are even field tested in Texas.

I've gotten some great plants and have been surprised how tough they've been in my garden despite the wild swings from freezes to heat and drought we have here with the humidity and deluges between.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
September 2, 2011
Posted on August 20, 2011, updated September 3, 2011
One of the best.Excellent quality plants and bulbs.Quick,friendly service.
On September 2nd, 2011, psychloman added the following:

Rhodophiala that I ordered last month are blooming,color is incredible.Amaryllis johnsonii are leafing out,can't wait to see the blooms next spring.
Positive mcswain71
murphreesboro, KY (Zone 7b)
November 17, 2010
I am so glad to see Yucca Do listed here. I am new to the watchdog but have been ordering rare yuccas for years from these guys and have always been happy! I recommend Yucca do to everyone.
Positive TX_gardener
Brady, TX (Zone 8a)
November 17, 2010
Fantastic quick service -- order of 11/14 came 11/16! Great plants & well packaged. I highly recommend Yucca Do. Now to whittle down on my "wish list" plants......
Positive trackinsand
mid central, FL (Zone 9a)
November 11, 2010
just received my first order from yucca do and i am so impressed by the size and health of the plants...shipping rates are decent; packaging was great. no complaints and will absolutely order from them again!
thanks, yucca do!
Positive picealuver
East Wenatchee, WA
June 25, 2010
We have never received plants mail order of the great health and relative size as those we obtained from Yucca Do this spring. We had some late frosts that would have stunned weaker plants so were more than happy.
Positive dannygates58
Jefferson, NH
April 17, 2010
Posted on April 19, 2008, updated April 17, 2010
I just recieved my spring order from Yucca Do. All plants were good size and beautiful. The packing was great. I have ordered from them several times in the past and quality and service is consistantly great .I will most definantly order many more times in the future
On September 7th, 2009, dannygates58 added the following:

Recieved another order this week. Again beautiful plants, packing and shipping. One of my top 5 favorite catalogs!
On April 17th, 2010, dannygates58 added the following:

I order from Yucca Do every year and am always thrilled when I receieve my shipment and this year is no exception. Plants and packing again were perfect.
Also this year after I placed my order I found that my card had been charged 3 times for the order. I sent an email explaining the problem. Within a day I not only recieved an email back from the accounts person but one from the nursery manager Wade. The problem was corrected within 24 hours. A truly great company.
Positive GerBo
Davis, CA (Zone 9b)
August 18, 2009
Highest recommendation. My order shipped very promptly, and my agaves were beautiful and healthy. Excellent packaging, too. I'm very happy with Yucca Do.
Positive Fana
(Zone 6b)
August 4, 2008
Excellent service and products. The bulbs I ordered a few months ago are doing great. Will order from Yucca Do again.
Positive DianeEG
Galva, IL
June 24, 2008
Although most of their plant offerings would not do well in my zone 4-5 area, their DooHickey plant markers are great. I bought the stakes and the markers, both are excellent. I like the low profile (does not compete w/ the plants). The stakes are very sturdy. I am hopeful the markers will stand up to winter in Illinois - they appear to be my best shot yet. Between harsh weather & dogs, no plastic or metal markers have made it to the next spring either w/o breaking & w/ the name still readable. Their delivery is not instant but reasonable. I believe this is the only place to buy the DooHickey product. Thank heaven's they are a good company and have good customer service.
Positive davidmacmanus
Havana, FL
September 15, 2007
I got my shipment of Aloes and Agaves in today-they are good sized and most are very well rooted.A couple of the more succulent Aloes are a bit burnt from the trip-but they should make an excellent recovery because they are large and have good roots.I ordered 11 plants -but got 13! They gave me an extra Agave and an extra Aloe!!!I will certainly be ordering from these fine folks again!
Positive RedClay007
Richmond, VA (Zone 7a)
July 28, 2007
I ordered Costus and Hedychium last spring. Both plants arrived packaged well, with soil and a healthy rootball. Somehow, the hedychium nearly died last month (a result of my own doing), and it is just now making a comeback. Each costus plant that they sent has produced at least 5 new stalks and continue to grow like mad. Definitely a good nursery to order hard-to-find plants.
Positive DawninTx
Nevada, TX (Zone 8a)
July 13, 2007
This is my third time to order from this nursery, and all of my experiences have been positive. Plants and bulbs are well packaged and ship quickly.
I received my most recent order of bulbs yesterday. I was able to purchase a very hard to find crinum, and the bulb I received was very large and healthy. Can't wait to see it bloom!
Positive absinthium
Spring Valley, CA
May 31, 2007
Another great experience with Yucca Do.The plants were all in great shape as always. The customer service was also, as always, absolutely first rate. Their philosophy of growing and selling new and interesting plants that are are adapted to the heat and drought of the southern half of the country is refreshing. To those whose opinions differ on some issues from the Yucca Do proprietors, perhaps these folks would be better served to both limit their carbon footprint and their impact on the environment by planting only plants native to their site or at least buying locally grown plants.
Positive congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY
April 12, 2007
Got several bulbs and a couple of plants today. Bulbs, mostly rain lilies, were mature, nice and healthy, in leaf and wrapped carefully in slightly moist newpaper, and their counts quite generous. The plants were in pots, in fine shape, and ready to grow. They have some interesting oddball Mexican stuff that is not available elsewhere. Good company.
Positive bestgardener
Cincinnati, OH
February 11, 2007
I have very positive results with Yucca Do.
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
February 10, 2007
My review of this company is long overdue. Excellent prices, beautiful and unique plants, trained personnel. If you can, pls visit them on their monthly open houses between March and October. Its sister entity, Peckerwood Gardens, a must see garden. I think reservations are required.
Positive DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL (Zone 10a)
February 10, 2007
I ordered early in the season, to make sure I would get the plants I wanted. They were shipped early than expected, got a notification that they had been shipped, arrived in perfect condition, expertly packaged, larger and more robust plants than I expected. All were hard to find and it was a pleasure to be sold a plant of great value. I would recommend Yucca Do.
Negative gowron
Athens, GA
October 15, 2006
Received my first order a few days ago. Excellent plants and superb service. I will be a frequent return customer.
On February 21st, 2007, gowron changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Yesterday I received their printed catalog and was appalled by the ignorance that they proudly display on the cover and in a commentary written on the back of the catalog. Basically, these people believe that human-induced global warming is a hoax that can be dismissed with supposedly humurous comments. Believe what you want, but near-catastrophic global warming as a result of burning of fossil fuels by humans is a scientific FACT and the most serious and immediate threat to our civilization. Their plants are good, but I am changing my rating to negative and will NEVER buy from them again. My plant dollars only go to responsible businesses.
Positive Marvelous
Cooper, TX (Zone 7b)
September 26, 2006
A visit to Yucca Do in May, 2006 was an adventure. There are so many unique plants. We arrived on an Open Garden Day and were given a tour of Peckerwood Gardens next door. The collections of trees (many unnamed) from Mexico are truly one of a kind.

I have ordered several times from Yucca Do and the plants are always larger than described, pest-free, and grow well. The lady who took my order was very knowledgeable and helpful in suggesting a few items not in the catalog.

I will continue to order as long as this wonderful nursery exists.
Positive dmj1218
west Houston, TX (Zone 9a)
September 21, 2006
I recently ordered many bulbs of several species from them. The customer service over the phone was outstanding. The bulbs arrived in fantastic shape and they actually gave me quite a few extras of each variety. I will definitely order from them in the future.
Positive rusty2004
Lodi, CA
September 14, 2006
I received my 1st order today, was very surprised at the size of the plants. Some unpotted with a huge root ball. Ordered 19 plants and got them all. Got 13 sinningia , they are huge. Also got a echeveria
as a bonus plant. Love it. Packed well too. Will order again.
Positive bloomheaven
Southern
United States
July 18, 2006
I ordered rain lilies from a sale this summer. They all looked good and I really liked the different varieties offered. I would purchase from this company again.
Positive pattybear
Taipei
Taiwan
June 22, 2006
I bought some rainlily bulbs. They are all in health condition.
Yucca do is very generous.
Positive jogging5k
Deer Park, TX
June 20, 2006
Beautiful healthy plants! Will do business with again!Thanks for doing a great job!
Positive Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ (Zone 9a)
June 9, 2006
I was pleasantly surprised when I opened my order today and saw the size and condition of the 7 plants I ordered. All plants were larger than I expected and extremely healthy.
The packaging was great! I will definetly be ordering again.
Positive jessileigh
Austin, TX (Zone 8b)
April 23, 2006
I place several orders annually with Yucca Do as well as visiting the nursery at least once a year during their open days. Whether plants are purchased online or in person at the nursery they are always very healthy good-sized specimens. We have over 100 cultivars from Yucca Do in our gardens and we do not hesitate to recommend them to family, friends, and acquaintances.
Positive pbk
Charleston, SC
March 2, 2006
Received another order that was excellently packaged. Plants were healthy too. As usual, I am well pleased with Yucca Do.
Positive rosharon
Gulf Coast, TX
March 2, 2006
I placed an online order for several varities of agaves. The plants arrived promptly and in great condition. Their website offers instructions on how to build a dry garden and I plan to build one in my soggy gulf coast yard.

I will order from Yuccado again!
Positive TexasTam
Plano, TX (Zone 8a)
January 18, 2006
Wonderful, wonderful, all around...

I placed an 8-plant order on Christmas Day and got them yesterday (1-17), all in great shape. Apparently, the December special was a free packet of their patented DooHickeys™ metal plant tags, so that was a cool bonus.

Also, the single Hymenocallis maximillianii (white spider lily) I ordered was actually two bulbs which divided easily. Who doesn't love freebies?!?

I will be back, probably many times.

Positive Buster60
Bay City, TX
November 29, 2005
I have ordered over $500.00 of plants from Yucca Do. On their web page, they show shipping with each order their plant tag. So far; I have only received 2 tags with one order. Some of the other comments from other customer stating that they have received extra plants in their shippments. So far; I have only received what I have ordered. Other sites that I have order from, I have received extra plant/plants for an order of $30.00 - $50.00.
I have received good service from Yucca Do. Prompt shippments of my orders. They did give a credit on one plant that was smaller than advertised on their web site.
On November 29th, 2005, Buster60 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I will be placing additional orders when they receive more plants. I have brought all of the agaves, dasylirions, nolinas and yuccas that they had listed on their site.
Positive plantlady51
Moline, IL (Zone 5a)
November 19, 2005
I was a little nervous about ordering tender plants at this time of year in the Midwest, but my plants arrived in excellent condition. Nice big plants, too. Great packing. And they alerted me by email when they were shipped. I am very happy with Yucca Do Nursery.
Positive teasia
Spring Valley, CA
November 11, 2005
Very nice to work with. All the plants were well grown. One Sinningia was a little loppy and broke of above the rhizome, but should come back from the rhizome and I am rooting the piece that came off. The Dyckias and Hectia were primo with good root systems. Which is good because the dog kind of got stuck in one and it was out of its new pot for a day or so. Doing fine now.
Positive ecrane3
Dublin, CA (Zone 9a)
November 4, 2005
I've ordered twice from Yuccado and would definitely recommend them. The first time I ordered the plants were a little small but very healthy and all of them have grown well, and the plants in the order I placed more recently were very large and healthy looking.
Positive gointocompost
August 5, 2005
I really thought this was a poor time of year to order things, but they have so many special plants I wanted that I dived in. I ordered on August !, and received my order August 4. Apart from a very few broken leaves, everything was in beautiful condition, despite the hot muggy weather from there to here. Larger plants than I'd expected too. I certainly highly recommend them.