The scoop on 'Pernell Gerver'

Pernell Gerver

Farmington, Connecticut 06032
(United States)

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants.

Comments:

Neutral mnspry
Kemah, TX
June 20, 2014
I ordered a "Pillow Talk Peony" about 3 weeks ago. Several days later I emailed to ask for a shipping status. I did not receive a reply so after a week I filed a dispute with paypal. He responded right away and shipped my peony within a few days.
I receive the plant today. It had a broken branch but otherwise it looks healthy enough.
Negative Bossiemom
Bad Axe, MI
June 9, 2014
I ordered from this business in March 2014 thinking that I would have a good experience. Boy was I ever wrong! I did get some plants crammed in a box and my very sensitive china dolls on the bottom. They came in a smaller size than I ordered plus the plants were in horrible shape. Barely ready to be out of the nursery, the root systems were not sufficant enough to be considered healthy. 3of the plants died! I tried to contact them with no luck, they would not answer my emails. I expected much more for the money I spent there. Very disappointed! Please look around before you settle for this scam artist, I'm sure you will find what your looking for.
I'm still waiting for the rest of my order though I don't expect to get them, as they have not responded to my number of emails concerning my order. I did fill out a complaint at the BBB, and I hope they will shut this business down. It's a total SCAM, so please BEWARE, this is NOT a great place for your hard earned dollars.
Negative carobel
Scotts Corners, NY
June 7, 2014
I took advantage of the winter sale in December, and paid
by Paypal. I received the receipt from Paypal and my credit card was charged $104. To date I have not received my order.
I emailed Mr. Garver several times. There has been no response, and there is no telephone number for contact.
I gave him the benefit of the doubt thinking he was waiting
for better weather, but weather has been fine for two months.
No more business for Pernell Garver from me.
Negative greenshiphack
Kettering, OH
May 26, 2014
I ordered 3 minature roses ('Seattle Scentsation')
from this business on March 3, 2014. The total price with shipping was $71.25. As of today (5-26-2014), I have not received the items.
I hope maybe it was backordered, but this business makes no effort to communicate with their customers. I am too late for Paypal, they will not resolve problems past 45 days from sale. I tried to communicate with Pernell Gerver by email, but so far no answer. Please stop and think before you do business with this website, I think maybe he know gardening, but has little business sense? He has no telephone or customer service. If I receive communication or information from this business in the future, I will consider changing my experience rating.
Negative gwguger
Washington D.C.
United States
May 8, 2014
I ordered a number of plants and extended my order to qualify for the free shipping. Most of my plants arrived.

The ones that arrived were mostly disappointing as they were tiny plants. One had almost no leaves, but Pernell provided instructions to revive it, which worked, and which I appreciated.

The main complaint is that the most expensive of the plants never arrived. Pernell said the plant was out of stock and that he would ship it as soon as he got it. That was 6 months ago. Six months without a product is not acceptable regardless of the reason. I now see this is standard operating procedure for the website, as the BBB website is rife with complaints about ordering.

I hope Pernell will contact me (I have tried to contact him several times, to no avail), and offer a refund - at which point I would update this review.
Positive globeflowerkate
OKEANA, OH
March 29, 2014
I ordered eight unusual houseplants. Within two days of placing my order, I emailed Pernell Gerver's at email provided in email purchase receipt inquiring about delivery timing. Personal email response received immediately including tracking numbers for shipment. Received plants within 5 days of placing order. Beautifully packed, beautiful condition. Very happy with purchasing experience. Will by from this company again.
Negative Dawna55
Troy, OH
July 19, 2013
I have looked at Pernell's website for years before I decided I was ready to buy. I ordered 3 plants 1 Pencil Plant 1 Chinese Perfume Plant and 1 Yellow Gardena Plant. I didn't spend enough for free shipping. So I added fertilizer. Very excited I couldn't wait for my shipment. It was ordered around the 26th of June. I did email to check the status and he responded due to the holiday he didn't want my plants to dry out during transit. The big day came the week of July 8th. I opened the box and 2 of the 3 were tiny little babies amounting to over 50 dollars in price. I was so disappointed, I emailed Pernell and he did respond, " That was the only size his vendor had and he didn't want to not ship, so I could get 25 dollars on MY NEXT order. REALLY???? l told him, I would never order again and he could at least give some growing ideas instead of sticks asking for more of your business . Yeah, not a great experience at all.
Negative janet99
Pittsburgh, PA
May 3, 2013
I ordered four houseplants from this company and a week later received them stuffed in a small box. The peace lily seemed to be a normal size but the three other plants looked more like starter plants. The philodendron was one long vine that had been curled back on itself. One of the leaves on the golden pothos was broken. The cast iron hardly deserved to be called a plant because it was two shoots barely open. I paid $48 for these four plants and was really shocked to receive them. I wrote an email of complaint to the company and have received no reply a week later. What kind of amazed me was that the little plastic tags in the plants showed the plant name on one side, but on the other was an offer of 10% off on the next order. Nothing about plant care. It just seemed to underscore the lacking of "caring" in the company. Who would be stupid enough to go back and buy more plants from this company is beyond me.
Positive malika1
Toa Baja, PR (Zone 11)
March 3, 2013
Posted on February 22, 2013, updated March 3, 2013
Plant arrived dead as a doornail. Ordered it before Christmas, got it today, Feb. 20. Not sure if it's his complete fault; stuff does get lost in mail, and I have had stuff arrive a little late, and beat up, even from Top Tropicals (everything lived!), but this tiny plant, a bouvardia humbolti, was toast. I will repost after the Wizard of Oz (no phone number!) responds to my plea to reship. Pernell has fans and detractors, so we shall see; I want to give him a fair chance.

Frank :)
On March 3rd, 2013, malika1 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Pernell contacted me after a few days of my contacting him. How frustrating not to be able to call! Anyway, he sent another plant, it arrived in great shape, and I appreciated his professional note. IN truth, as I explained to him, it may have been the local post office that screw up, and he is completely innocent. I would do business with this guy again: He has a lot of unusual plants. Yes, his stuff is expensive! But, ever try growing tropical plants in Connecticut, where his nursery is located! It's expensive in the winter time. My guess is this is just a side business for him. I know he seems to have treated some folks shabbily, but what online grower does not, at times? None. So, I am a satisfied customer: he could have ignored me and I don't think he made any money off of me after reshipping; that shows some character.
Negative Calvinjcj
Palm Valley, FL
October 14, 2012
Extremely disappointed with the price, quality, packaging and shipping cost. I purchased (3) plants from this vendor each arriving with 3 leaves one leaf broken on each tiny plant. The shipping did not break the leaves, the packaging clearly did as the lost portions were not in the box meaning they were cut at the vendor. The shipping cost was a complete rip-off charging 3x the priority mail charge. I have paid $60 all in now for these three tiny plants and I feel totally ripped off by this company. I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM THE, AGAIN !!
Negative jhumphrey
Whispering Pines, NC
June 18, 2012
I ordered three houseplants on June 1, 2012 and paid through Paypal. I have not yet received the plants and cannot get any information from Gerver's online store about shipping confirmation. I have emailed several times and have gotten no response. I would never order from this company again. Terrible customer service and I'm doubting I'll ever receive my plants. I wish I would have read these reviews before submitting my order. I think this site is a scam. There is also no telephone number available. I'm very dissapointed!
Positive Duntamann2
Washington D.C.
United States
December 3, 2011
Not realizing that my order confirmation e-mail as well as my shipment e-mail went to my spam box, I read the reviews for this company and was terrified.

To my surprise, I had a two day turnaround for my shipment, was very pleased with my purchase, and when I inquired about my order, I received a response with minutes.

I am definitely ordering from this company again!!
Negative JaneSully
Saint Louis, MO
July 18, 2011
Posted on July 18, 2011, updated July 18, 2011
July 15, 2011 I received a Nightblooming Cereus that I had ordered from Pernell Gerver. I chose and was charged for UPS Ground shipping for $13.33 and was contacted by Pernell saying he was upgrading the shipping to USPS Priority Mail (that should have been a red flag) since the hot weather could be an issue. Priority Mail was not an upgrade, as the cost was $9.35. When I received the plant, it was damaged, there were three leaves on the plant, one leaf was bent and creased in half and another 1/4 of a leaf was bent and creased. Upon unpacking, the leaf that was bent and creased 1/2 way, totally became detached. I emailed Pernell, and it took several days for him to respond. I even sent him pictures of the plant, requesting he either reimburse me or send me another plant. He told me to take the leaf that was detached and stick it in the soil and it would root and the other leaf that was bent, to cut it off and stick that portion in the soil. I told him that was unacceptable and that I felt that I didn't receive what I had ordered and paid for. So, he said that he couldn't send me another plant unless I returned the damaged plant I received. I sent him another email and told him I expected him to pay the return shipping charges. So far, I have not heard from him.
But, one thing for sure..."I will never order from this company again!" And you would be wise to do the same.
On July 18th, 2011, JaneSully added the following:

I also might add, in my opinion, this was not a shipping issue by the carrier, but a packing issue where the plant was damaged by Pernell Gerver.
Positive augenwink
Spokane, WA
May 10, 2011
EXCELLENT PRODUCT AND EXPERIENCE. I was surprised to see all the negative reviews for this nursery. Perhaps PG has learned from these poor evaluations. Still, one was a recent negative posted at just about the same time as my transaction. The three hostas (same variety) I ordered late in the season of 2010 were large and healthy and extremely well packaged. They are already poking their spears out of the ground and look to be a remarkable thumb size in diameter at this early stage. I could not be more pleased with the quality and care given to the plants. I do agree with one of the reviewers that PG could make communication with the nursery more customer friendly. Based on my experience, I had expected to find PG on the TOP 30 list.
Positive kyle72
Cumberland, MD
February 17, 2011
I ordered from Pernell Gerver in summer 2010 and could not have been more pleased with the plants I received.They were alle huge healthy plants and the packaging was incredible .The echinacea plants were beautiful and in bud and bloom when I received them and made a beautiful impact on my garden.
Pernell also emailed me back personally with some questions I had about a newer variety coming outand was very informative and helpful.I have ordered from every mail order source out there and this was my pick for great huge healthy plants!
Keep up the great work Pernell
Kind regards
Tony Kimble
Cumblerland Md.
Negative combien
Seattle, WA
September 5, 2010
Prior to orderning Butterfly Gardenia from Logee's, I ordered one from Pernell Gerver @ $25.00 each. It was supposed to come in a 1 qt pot. What arrived was a lot smaller than the 2.5" pot plant I later received from Logee's. Not only was it small, the leaves were covered with miniscule white spots that ate the leaves and ultimately killed the whole plant. When I described the problem to Pernell he claimed that it were slugs. Well, I believe I know what slugs look like, and as this was a houseplant, and I live in a condo on the 3rd floor, I am not sure what kind of idiot he thought I was. The second one he sent me (and charge me another $25.00), was even tinier than the first. Enough said, NEVER EVER ORDER FROM THIS I....!
Positive tobee43
groveland, FL (Zone 9b)
April 9, 2010
took a while..but absolutely worth the wait. sent me lovely varigated jade....i would have picked the same for myself. excellent careful packaging.

i think pernell communication was excellent and he's worth a chance since my plants were PERFECT!
Negative daldrich
South Windsor, CT
October 2, 2008
This guy had the audacity to charge our garden club $150 to come in and hawk his products under the guise of a presentation on organic lawn care. He lined up his products and just walked down the table selling his wares. Some of the information was just outright wrong(applying pre-emergent corn gluten in the fall). I am just furious.
Negative naunion
Charlottesville, VA
September 27, 2007
ordered european ginger in1 quart pots.
recieved 3"pots with one little leaf in each pot.
I could have ordered smaller pots cheaper elsewhere.
Totally unsatisfactory plant for the price
Negative Pondguppy
Amanda, OH
May 11, 2006
Sorry to say I'm not having a very pleasant experience with this firm/person. I placed an order for a couple of houseplants a week before Mother's Day....and it looks like I'm going to have do something else for Mom.

Seems like a great "personality" on his web-site. I guess not such a good business person.

Does not respond to customer inquiries via E-mail. Has no customer service. No listed phone number. Accepts orders (and funds) electronically for items they obviously don't have in stock or are unable to ship.
On May 31st, 2006, Pondguppy added the following:

Was finally contacted today. After three weeks of waiting for a response.
Pernell Gerver has refunded my funds.