The scoop on 'Daniel's Specialty Nursery'

Daniel's Specialty Nursery

16869 Rio Maria Road
Lakeside, California 92040 (United States)

Comments:

Positive Turkishzelda
Shreveport, LA
September 7, 2013
Ordered around 10 plants from Daniels. While the sizes dont sound big, the quality is very good and compared to other vendors, they are reasonably priced. Well rooted, good color, nothing mushy or rotten. Extremely good packaging. Not one dent on one leaf. They are very good with correspondence, happy to answer any and all questions. Only downside was that i could not pay online with a credit card. They only take checks and i havent written a check in some 5 years. Had to get a money order and then mail it to him. All said and done, i will surely be buying again.
Positive Toni05
Brookfield, IL
August 31, 2012
Posted on September 26, 2007, updated August 31, 2012
I've only heard of Daniel's Nursery last week...a friend sent the link knowing how fond I am of succulents.
Pictures on their site are gorgeous and so many varieties to choose from.
I started off buying two plants which arrived today..And I must say, I was astonished by their beauty. I was expecting smaller plants since prices were basically low, but to my surprise, both varieties are a good size..they also have healthy leaves, no pests..This is the type of nursery I enjoy buying from.
The Kalanchoe Longiflora leaves are a vibrant red, another surprise, since I've ordered succulents from other nurseries where pictures displayed a good amount of red on leaves, but after arriving, I was disappointed; they were green, so unlike the picture.
Shipping was super-fast. I also needed help when ordering, and whomever is in charge of emails wrote promptly and very friendly..
I'll be buying succulents from Daniel's again...Toni

On August 31st, 2012, Toni05 added the following:

Recieved two beautiful succulents.

Crassula Pubescens
Crassula Hummels Sunset

Both Crassulas are healthy, insect-free and good-sized.

I had a question for Daniel, so sent an email. He responded immediately.

Daniel's a very nice man, and quite helpful. AAAA+++
Positive wanderful
Montclair, NJ
February 27, 2009
We actually visited Daniel's Succulent Nursery in Lakeside, CA. We heard of him sometime in August, 2007, and in December of 2008, while living on the road for four months, ended up only 20 miles from the nursery, and I thought I HAVE GOT TO GO THERE!

So we called Daniel. He was quite the character but was willing to switch around his day so we could have time to spend getting a tour of the place. Let me tell you: Daniel has got to have the NICEST succulents in America. Everything was so bright and colorful, my eyes were overdosing from all the beauty. You can see photos of the succulents (and even Daniel!) we took while we were on the tour, here: http://flickr.com/photos/wanderfulus/sets/72157610726436713

Daniel really knows what he's talking about. When he was 8 years old, his parents moved from NYC to California and thus began his obsession with the plants. He has been growing succulents ever since. He works hard, he is the ONLY person who works at the nursery and does a really great job holding down the fort. If you ever get a chance to visit him, I highly recommend it. Our visit to his nursery was one of the highlights from my time living on the road. Also, you can STILL order his succlents online, at the new page:

His last website shut down because the girl who was taking care of it had too much other stuff and no time for the website anymore. But don't let that stop you from ordering either by phone or by the new website, gosucculent.com. Hope this helps everyone!
Positive JAugusto
Somerset, MA
October 1, 2007
During a recent trip to California, I was inspired to create a living wreath. I found Daniel's Specialty Nursey web site and decided to give it a try. I ordered 100 succulent cuttings. They arrived promptly and beautifully packaged. The quality of the cuttings was excellent; healthy and very colorful. The wreath was fun to make, and I think it looks spectacular! I am now a loyal customer.
Jean Augusto
Somerset, MA.
Positive jkw98107
Seattle, WA (Zone 8b)
June 22, 2007
I was encouraged by this company's 100% positive rating here (so far) and I'm happy to continue the streak - I wasn't at all disappointed. The plants were as big or bigger than advertised, perfectly healthy, sensibly packed, prices were fair and it got here when it was supposed to, inside a week of the order date. I'm very pleased and will definitely order from them again.
Positive AuNatural
W'Ville, WA
May 24, 2007
Nice sized plants, well rooted, well packaged & shipped when promised.
Positive sjgeil
Melbourne, FL
March 17, 2007
I just received three beautiful Haworthia brownianas from Daniel's. They were carefully and snugly packed and arrived much sooner than I had thought, all in great condition. This is probably my fourth or fifth order from Daniel's, and I have been delighted every time. The website is very easy to navigate and order from, with excellent photos and clear information about the plants; there are sooo many temptingly gorgeous cacti and succulents that I like to drool over; and Danna is just wonderful about answering e-mail questions--a very kind and helpful nurseryman who obviously loves what he does; and it shows.
Sally from Florida
Positive seattleblev
Seattle, WA
March 14, 2007
I recently received an order of euphorbias and echeverias. The plants were all received in excellent condition, and they all had great coloration. I would be happy to order more plants from them as soon as possible.
Positive fdr111
Melbourne, FL (Zone 9b)
February 26, 2007
I just received an order from Daniel's and I was very impressed. The plants were marked correctly, and packed well for shipment. I received them quickly. I had a question about an item with limited availability and I quickly received an email from Danna answering my questions. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA (Zone 9a)
February 17, 2007
Super company to work with. Nice selection of unusual succulents - Great communication from Danna really helped! Thanks folks at Daniel's! I'll be back for more!
Positive Valyn
Carleton, MI
November 6, 2006
I was looking for a Crassula ovata 'Hummel's Sunset' that was larger than 4 leaves. Danna worked with me until the plant I wanted was found. They went out of their way to please me. The price was fair, shipping was great and fast.
It was a pleasure doing business with them!!!!
Positive calefevr
Columbus, OH
October 1, 2006
My order came quickly, the plants were in excellent condition, and were actually slightly larger than the advertised measurements! In addition, my emailed questions about my new specimens were answered incredibly quickly-- within hours-- on a Sunday afternoon, no less! I will buy from these folks again! Thanks!
Positive katzx5
Fayetteville, GA (Zone 7b)
September 23, 2006
I just received my first order from Daniel & Danna - the succulents are big & healthy. The descriptions were accurate. I was impressed with their timely & helpful responses to my emails.

I will be a repeat customer!
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
August 25, 2006
I'm basically pleased with my Daniel's order. Some of the Crassulas were stretching toward one side as if leaning toward the sun....I wonder if they were grown in too much shade? The Agave was a nice size and everything was packed well. While I'm not overwhelmed, the prices are right and I would order again.
Positive carolatcj
Carl Junction, MO
August 17, 2006
I ordered the succulent cuttings to make topiaries and wreaths. The cuttings were superb, very large and beautifully colored. Everything was well packed and fresh. I would highly recommend Daniel's Specialty Nursery!
Positive weedsgalore
Tampa, FL
August 15, 2006
Have bought from Daniel & Danna, Wonderful personal attention to me, the plants were expertly packed and of generous size, coloration was superb in the succulents. I have ordered many times and always received this most courteous and professional attention to detail! I am obviously extremely pleased! i highly recommend this company! Sue Welborn
Positive totalnewbie
Loleta, CA
July 21, 2006
I have bought online from Daniel's Specialty Nursery twice now. In my opinion Daniel's Nursery is great because they show excellent photos of the plants and are careful to specify what size the plants will be that you receive. They are also very responsive to e-mails, they pack the plants very carefully, and I have yet to receive an unhealthy plant from them. Even under my less than perfect care all my plants from my first order (purchased around a month ago) are thriving. They also have an excellent policy of shipping plants on Monday so they won't sit in the post office over the weekend. Whenever I'm looking for a new plant they are first on my list of places I'll shop at. All in all for the beginner or someone who is looking to have some beautiful plants Daniel's is a very good place to buy from in my opinion.
Positive mamaminirex
Fairfield, TX
July 20, 2006
I have bought plants from Danna & Daniel on both eBay and their website. Every aspect of my transactions has been a class act. They have superior quality plants, excellent service, speedy delivery and are supremely courteous and helpful. I will happily continue to be a repeat customer.
Positive Stapeliaddict
Ukiah, CA
July 15, 2006
Danna & Daniel-- HI AND THANKS FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL CEREUS CACTUS!!!. You have always been so helpful and have sent beautiful plants and I always receive email responses right away. Even when I order plants, I either get instructions and pointers with the plant or emailed to me along with my order. You went above and beyond to cut me a deal and followed through over a 4 month time period. Thanks again for the gorgeous specimen and great financial deal on the plant as well. Your specimens on eBay are also excellent! I look forward to continuing our business relations. Best Regards! Erik
Positive Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
July 1, 2006
Most excellent! Received a box of very well packed plants, all in great shape! Will definitely order again!
Positive tobee43
groveland, FL (Zone 9b)
May 18, 2006
i have placed at least 3 orders with daniel's. every order was perfect. i can expect all plants to be healthy and beautiful.

the agaves she sent made it through our winter here in the east. i'm certain it was because they were healthy and well maintained.

i would highly recommend anyone looking for agave..... you can trust that you will receive the very best right here.
Positive Spider07
Lilburn, GA
January 27, 2006
I really enjoyed dealing with them. They were very helpful, answered my emails quickly and went out of their way to help me as they shipped my plants in January even though they don't usually ship at this time of the year.

He sent detailed explanations about cultivation and soils.

Will go back again for more!!!
Positive ConeflowerCate
Rockford, IL
August 12, 2005
Being new to succulent/cacti plants, this company advised me as to appropriate plants to start with. All plants arrived well packaged and in good condition. Great communication via e-mail.
Positive MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a)
May 21, 2005
I just ordered what, for me, was a pretty big order. Since I paid by check, the order took longer to complete than it would have if I had paid by paypal, but their communication was excellent. They let me know when my order was shipped and sent a link to track the shipping.

The plants were all correct and pretty much as described on their website. They're all very healthy, a couple are even about to bloom. Most were shipped in pots. They look great!
Positive Chilidawg
Rohnert Park, CA (Zone 9a)
March 17, 2005
Broad selection of plant material. Nicely done web site. Most important of all, the plants they sent were in wonderful condition and reasonally priced. Shipment was prompt. This has been the best site for catus and succulents I have found on the net. Placing a a second order soon. Highly recommend doing business with them.
Positive wvtreehuggers
Charleston, WV (Zone 6a)
March 3, 2005
I new that I was interested in succulents, and I searched this site for ideas for places to shop. Daniel's Speciality Nursery had a great website that was very easy to navigate, and it is wonderful that there were so many pictures. I was actually overwhelmed by so many interesting looking plants, that I did not know what to get. I emailed the nursery for suggestions on low maintenance plants that I could keep indoor, and within a few hours, they responded with suggestions. I ordered a few plants, and I received them less than a week! They were packed very well, and all survived the trip from sunny California to the blizzard that we were getting is West Virginia.

I love my little plants, I cannot wait to watch them grow, and I will definitely order again from Daniel's Speciality Nursery

Positive contourland
Grand Rapids, MI
March 22, 2004
I had searched for many unusual plants on line , but since this company had photo's of all the plants for sale, I thought I would give them a try. I order five succulent plants from them and they all arrived in great condition. My Euphorbia Flanaganii was huge and was very reasonably priced. I asked them to hold my plants for shipment until the weather was better here in MI, and they replied promptly that they would ship them whenever I wanted. I will be doing business with them again.
Positive Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a)
September 28, 2003
I placed my first order with this company last week. They have echeverias and aeoniums that I wanted. I didn't know anything about this company, so I emailed them. I then placed an order. My plants arrived a few days later. They have great communication, the plants were beautiful and they were packed with great care. I was very happy!!!
I would recommend this company to anyone who collects specialty type cacti and succulents. They have a great selection and their plants are very healthy.