The scoop on 'Nature Hills Nursery'

Nature Hills Nursery

3334 North 88th Plaza
Omaha, Nebraska 68134 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-864-7663
Fax: 1-866-550-9556

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative tstein
May 19, 2017
I will never do business with this company again! They are sneaky! I purchased a tree from them based upon their website description which somehow failed to mention that it is illegal to plant the tree in several states. A day or so after the purchase, I discovered that it would be illegal for me to plant the tree at my residence. I called the company to request a refund and to complain about the company's failure to disclose this critical information. The company agreed to issue a refund, but then turned around and charged a $10 cancellation fee which they never mentioned when they agreed to issue the refund. When I discovered the sneaky $10 fee, I called the company and complained. The "customer service" person refused to rescind the fee because 'the fee is described in a link which you could have clicked on when you made your order" and "we assume that agricultural restrictions are common knowledge." Yeah, right! Doesn't everybody click on all of the tiny links before placing an order? Doesn't everybody have top-of-mind knowledge of the agricultural restrictions in their state of residence? What a farce! Never, never, never again will I do business with these people.
Negative rborella
Franklin, TN
May 15, 2017
THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH, PERIOD.
DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS SCAM WEBSITE.

I have NEVER written an online review. EVER. For anything.
Nature Hills Nursery is THE WORST. I paid $75 for a tree. They sent me a TWIG WITH NO LEAVES. Literally a Charlie Brown tree. I thought it was a JOKE. So I told them I wanted a refund. I would send their twig back and just refund me the money and I will go to Lowes and spend $75 on a REAL TREE, with LEAVES and everything.

They simply REFUSE! I am reporting this scam of a company to the Better Business Bureau. Absolutely ridiculous they WILL NOT REFUND the unsatisfied customer's purchase. If it is a "dormant tree" as they claim, then they should have NO TROUBLE TAKING A RETURN and selling it to some other sap who is dumb enough to do business with HORRIBLE COMPANY. BUT THEY WILL NOT ISSUE YOU A REFUND! HORRIBLE COMPANY!

Nature Hills Nursery: Shipment # 100215258 for Order # 100159870
Inbox
x

May 14 (1 day ago)

to Melody,
Melody, please see the attached. This is a joke. $75 for this? My dog is using it as a stick ...
The box arrived intact. It's what is inside that is the problem.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG
On May 9, 2017, at 12:39 PM, Melody B wrote:

Hello,

I do apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I did receive your pictures and I would need to see the tree outside of the box. We don't ask for customers to return the plants once they have been shipped. Once you have the tree out of the box, I would unwrap the plastic so we can have pictures of the root as well as the whole tree. I will also need pictures of the outside of the box as well as the packing slip we sent. I want to get this resolved for you and once I have the other pics, I can send them to my manager for his review and recommendation.

Melody

Thank you for choosing Nature Hills Nursery, the largest online nursery in the U.S.

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 7:05 PM, > wrote:

Yes I did not take it out of the box in the event I was just going to have to send it back, but see the attached.
Rob

On May 7, 2017, at 1:03 PM, Melody B wrote:

Hello,

I do apologize in getting back to you so late. I was just following up to see if you were able to take the pictures so I can send them to my nursery manager for his review and recommendation. I do want to help and I can promise you, no candid camera!

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 9:39 PM, wrote:

sure. the thing was a twig! it had no leaves. i didn't even bother to take it out of the box. i literally thought it was a joke and you guys had me on candid camera. why on earth would any company send a product out like that?!
i will send the photos tonight.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Melody B wrote:
Hello,

We do apologize for the inconvenience. However, in order to get this situation taken care of we will need for you to send us a photo of the tree, packing slip and the box. If you no longer have the box, please let us know if there was any box damage. Once the photos have been received we will forward them to our nursery manager for his review and feedback.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 1:38 AM, wrote:

Hello, I need to return this tree that arrived dead. What is your return process?

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sales
Date: April 29, 2017 at 11:34:43 AM CDT
Nursery: Shipment # 100215258 for Order # 100159870

Nature Hills Nursery
Hello,
Thank you for your order from Nature Hills Nursery. You can check the status of your order by logging into your account. If you have any questions about your order please contact us at info@naturehills.com or call us at (888) 864-7663.

Your shipping confirmation is below. Please note that orders may arrive in multiple shipments. Separate email notices will be sent for each shipment. Thank you again for your business.

Please allow up to 24 hours for your shipment status to be updated in the tracking system.
Your Shipment #100215258 for Order #100159870
Shipped By Tracking Number
Tracking Number 363107616313336
Negative rnickols
Front Royal, VA
May 12, 2017
Horrible Horribly experience. Just bought a new house and wanted to do some landscaping.

The bushes I ordered were not shipped within the days they said they would. They take the money from your credit card although the trees are not shipped, the claim they ship product when nothing received we are faulted with waiting too long to call and must take a picture of the missing products that were never received.

Customer Service treated me like a common criminal.

I dont care enough about landscaping to steal on a freak-in bush purchase. Waste of Time and Money!!!!!!!

They treat customers like garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Negative bluewine7
Roslyn Heights, NY
May 3, 2017
This is s scam. Do not buy anything from them.
The trees I ordered were not shipped within the days they said they would, and they charged me 10% of cancellation fee. They are very sneaky. They don't tell you about the cancellation fee when you cancel. They take the money from your credit card although the trees are not shipped, and then they take the cancellation fee when they give you the refund.
I understand that there could be a delay, but I had to cancel because their customer service was so terrible. Their attitude is like 'You don't have to know when. You just wait until we do so'.
I made my first call after 14 days. I had to know the estimated shipping date because I had to meet the deadline my town had given me to plant those two trees for cutting down some old trees in my backyard. The customer service representative sounded annoyed when I asked for the estimated shipping date. All I heard was 'You will get notified when we ship them out' . I know that I'm not talking to a robot, and she does not have to say the same thing over and over again whenever I say something.
After the call, I felt terrible. I emailed the customer service for the status of my order, but there was no reply.
The next day (15th day), I called the customer service, and the same representative answered. Of course, again she said to me twice "You will get notified when we ship them out".
I asked her if there was a way for her to find out when they could ship out, and she said " I do not know, because the nursery manager handles it" Then I asked her if she could find it out from the manager, and she said that "We are not the nursery".
Humm...they call themselves "nursery" but they say they are not when there is a problem? So I cancelled the order, they took my $25.00 for the cancellation fee!
Do not buy anything from them. They do not value their customers.
Negative mbcrumly
Birmingham, AL
May 2, 2017
I do NOT recommend ordering from them and will not ever again. I thought I was lucky to find an adonis blue butterfly bush on their site. It was HIGHLY overpriced, but as they are not readily available, I was willing to pay it. The shrub was puny when it arrived and it did not survive the planting even though it was well cared for. I tried to take advantage of their replacement policy which is ONLY 50% off regular price to replace. And good for one year. Shame on me (as the customer service rep made me feel), for I called too early when there were none in stock and then again too late when they were again sold out. I asked if they could extend the replacement policy to fall when they would be back in stock and was met with a flat out, rude, NO. "You agreed to our policy, m'am"". - No I agreed to pay for a plant whIch I thought I would enjoy in my garden. TERRIBLE experience IN ALL RESPECTS.
Negative shellripple
Oakland, CA
April 11, 2017
Buyer beware!! I regret ever ordering from Nature Hills Nursery and now I see my swindling experience is just like others' who've posted here.

I ordered a few plum trees from Nature Hills Nursery on 12/21/2016 for a total of $209.85. After not receiving my order and not receiving any follow-up communication after the invoice, I emailed them weeks later to find out where my order was. According to Kiya in Customer Service, they don’t ship until “Spring”. That was news to me. She said it is noted on the website. Well, that is not true. It is noted nowhere. I even went back through the checkout process to check (minus submitting the order). Not shipping till Spring was not noted.

Also, “Spring” is very vague and that was going to be several months away. I was getting a bad feeling about the situation, so I emailed them back to cancel the order (which, BTW, they already charged my credit card on the date of purchase, even though they were months away from shipping). Kiya said I had to call them to cancel, so I did. Oddly, the person who answered was Kiya (I guess she’s the whole department). Kiya said I would “receive a refund” to my credit card. Well, I got a refund, but it was $20.98 short! I then emailed back to ask for the remaining amount I was shorted. Kiya wrote back that there is a 10% cancellation fee, which they noted on a legal page buried within their site. Kiya said it’s because they removed it from their inventory, which is a crock. It did not cause them to incur any cost. They just made easy money. Based on what I'm reading from others, I guess I should consider myself lucky that I got any money back. I encourage you to save yourself and avoid this con artist business.
Negative jgarch
Palm Springs, CA
February 13, 2017
DO NOT BUY FROM NATURE HILLS!!!!
Ordered over 50 Green Giant Arborvitae last year, all died during the winter. Half were under a purchased warranty, and half were not. Warranty is useless, as they do not cover shipping costs, and the replacement of the others at half cost, again does not include shipping costs. While they are almost always offering free shipping on orders over $150, they will not include the replacements. Shipping will be over $1200. A total fraud.
Negative jeevest
Columbia, MO
November 1, 2016
awful company. bought 3 trees for $160, all dead upon arrival. they said, oh that's how they look dormant. interesting, that's also how they look DEAD! so when I called them months later to tell they in fact were still dead, they said oh they could only give 1/2 refund plus shipping. and i said, "what you want me to pay you $80 plus shipping so you can send me more dead trees?"

don't waste your time. lowe's, home depot, sam's will actually guarantee your plants AND they are better quality. i have planted over 100 trees from the three of them on only lost 3. that's a 97% success rate compared to 0% for this company. plus, those companies actually game me a refund for the three that didn't survive!
Negative byronwhitesides
Layton, UT
October 24, 2016
I ordered from Nature Hills Nursery on 4 September for a tree listed in-stock. After a while and not having received an order confirmation, I contacted them to find out where my order was. According to Jennifer, they sent me an e-mail to tell me that the item was not going to be shipped until November, 2 months after purchase. When I verified the e-mail address, they did not even send it to me, but somewhere they cited as Yaoo.com, not even Yahoo.com. Also, they charged me for the product, directly, rather than doing as most online purchases are done, charging when the item is in-stock and ready for shipment.

I cancelled the order and finally received an e-mail from Jennifer on 11 October. She said that I would need to call and cancel, which I did, at which time I was advised a refund would be given in 10 - 12 days. Well, I got the refund and it was $10 less than what I paid!!!

Everything I am reading about this place would indicate that this company is not trustworthy. I would not recommend to do business there at all. A lot of people who don't pay the replacement insurance have claimed to have received dead plants. I can't even imagine how many people cancelled, like myself, only to be short-changed on the refund!!!
Negative kmzipfel3
Defiance, OH
September 29, 2016
placed a large order for myself like 325.00 Went ahead and paid for insurance just in case because I was scared I would lose my money, I called and sent them pictures of plants that didnt make it, they did send replacements but I had to pay for shipping but it was better than losing all of my money on dead plants.. I asked them about purchasing insurance on the replacement plants and they said it wasn't necessary. So I paid for shipping new plants and almost instantly they were completely dead. I call them and they say sorry, nothing we will do?!?! So.... in other words take your money for insurance and send you duds that wont make it at all then they get total profit. Wow, when you cant even stand behind your own product you probably shouldn't sell that product. I even called them and talked with a women before placing my initial order because I had seen a few negative comments and she somehow got me to trust their business and assured me they stand behind what they sell.
Negative heather1234
Bay Village, OH
September 27, 2016
I spent $1,000 on trees and plants. The first potted 4-5 foot tree I ordered arrived half dead with 4 inch branches and half dead insect bitten leaves. After trying to contact them for days by phone and email I finally got through. When I went to cancel my other tree they refused to allow me because it was already tagged for shipment. I then requested that they cancel all of the rest of my orders that had not been fulfilled yet due to the poor customer service and products. They refused. My credit card company is in the process of investigating the business. I may just contact my attorney general if that does not work as another customer has done. Wish I read online reviews before ordering!
Negative seriously
Andalusia, AL
July 16, 2016
I ordered White Fringe Trees as well as Paw Paw trees as well a some blueberry plants.When the trees arrived they looked dead,so I called the company, they requested pictures. I sent them pictures, and I was told the plants were dormant, just plant them and they will grow. The major problem was the root system on the PAW PAW TREES WERE, THERE WEREN'T ANY! The only way I got any refund was I contacted my credit card company, BBB, a well as the Attorney General. I tried to let the White Fringe Trees do their thing since they were suppose to be dormant. They never put on any leaves. The blueberries came as ordered and were dried out but after soaking in water they seemed ok. I purchased the warranty but I think it was a joke. they ask for pictures, I sent pictures, they say they never received them, however I had an electronic trail. I will never do business with them after i spent over 500.00 and they did not appreciate my business, however they did respect the Attorney General, BUYER BE WARE
Neutral Fidelis
Amana, IA
July 4, 2016
I purchased a honeysuckle vine from Nature Hills in early June. The plant arrived in a timely manner, but was completely root bound. I planted it and thankfully the hardy little guy seems to be doing fine, but I would be hesitant to purchase again from them given the condition of the plant upon arrival.
Negative ksdrechsel
Seattle, WA
May 25, 2016
I purchased a Chinese Wisteria Tree from Nature Hills on 3/16/2016. When the tree arrived on 3/25/2016, it looked dead. I immediately contacted Nature Hills and they said that the tree was dormant and to plant the tree and give it some time. I planted the tree immediately according to their direction and instruction. A week later I contacted Nature Hills again because the tree still did not have leaves and showed no signs of life. I did this every week for two months. I even sent them pictures of the tree, at their request, proving that the tree was dead. Nature Hills kept telling me to give it more time.

What they were really doing was stringing me along until I was no longer in any type of warranty period. They even tried to blame the annual flowers that I planted at the base of the tree for sucking the life out of the tree! Crazy! The annuals were planted seven weeks later! Then, when I asked for a replacement or refund, they said that they would not warrant the tree and my only option was to purchase a new one and pay for the shipping as well!

Nature Hills has quite the scam going on. What they seem to be doing is sending the customers that don't purchase additional warranty coverage dead trees then only offer them the option to purchase another tree and pay for the shipping as well! When they complain that the tree arrived dead, they string them along to make sure that they are out of the 45 hour warranty period. Then they string them along another few months and try to blame other factors for the dead of the tree. I would imagine that the customers that purchased an additional extended warranty coverage got the living trees.

You can tell by the shear number of complains against Nature Hills that they have some serious fraudulent sales practices going on. Avoid this company!
Negative dlbiege
Taylors, SC
April 22, 2016
Ordered Quaking Aspen received Bigtooth Aspen they are a useless Co. So many people complain except on the Co.facebook. Shop there and you will be sorry
Negative salviagirl
Emerald Lake Hills, CA
April 12, 2016
In June of 2015, I ordered six willow hybrid trees and paid close to $300 including shipping of $58+. They arrived with no leaves, just bare sticks. I assumed they were dormant so we planted them, no easy task. After a few months, still no signs of life and the scratch test proved they were indeed dead.

I sent an email with pictures and was told that I could buy the trees again at half price and would have to pay another shipping fee. I find this outrageous! I have never dealt with a company that doesn't refund, Nature Hills refused to refund, or replace the dead plants at no extra charge to the customer. There is NO way I would ever buy anything from this lousy company again, and will tell everyone I know about their horrible policy.

I am consulting with my Attorney who will take whatever action necessary to get my refund or living trees, without any additional cost to me.

Negative danwapc
Mission Hills, CA
February 26, 2016
Ordered 4 Fruit tree's from NatureHills
$80 Persimmon(4-5ft), $65 Lisbon Lemon(#5), $65 W. Murcott Mandarin(#5), $65 Clementine Mandarin(#5) - #5 stands for 2.9 to 4.6 Gallon container per Naturehills charts on web for product.
On first shipment it states 3 tree's Clementine, Lemon and Murcott were shipped. when box arrived (video taken) outside of box had 3 stickers stating 3 tree's listed above, when opened there were 2 (Lemon and Clementine). Both these tree's were in a box 8"x8"x36" box delivered upside down and half dead with burnt flowers, curled yellow leaves and each only 20" tall in a BR(bare root) bag smaller than a one gallon jug. When I contacted NatureHills about issue and sent pictures and video they replied with,
"quote:I did go ahead and consult our container size guide, and it looks like your plants are right on par for the average #5 container.
Our trees do come out of our citrus tree nursery, so we ensure they are the best quality we can send out. "
I paid $275 for 4 tree's 2 of which are dead and haven't received the other 2 yet. Will never recommend or buy from NatureHills again.
Positive AxelDC
Hyattsville, MD
February 23, 2016
I've placed two Nature Hills orders and have been pleased with both sets of plants.

The first was a Lapins cherry tree that I couldn't find anywhere else. It arrived quickly in bareroot form, which we promptly planted. It's been growing amazingly fast.

The second was for boxwoods and a Japanese maple. Both arrived in good shape, but haven't had much time to grow yet.

I find them a bit pricey, even though everything is always listed as 50% off. Their shipping is not cheap, but the plants are always healthy and arrive in good time.
Negative Singingdove
Golden, CO
November 30, 2015
Boy, I wish I had read the reviews on here before ordering from this company. I'm making it a point to put a review of this company wherever I can so people get the word out.

Do not trust this company! I ordered a tree online last May (2015). I was sent a tree that looked dead. I was told it was dormant. I followed their instructions and waited 8 weeks (they told me that it would take that long for it to leaf out). It never leafed out. I tried calling their number and every time I did, I could get no live person. The message always said that they were experiencing a high volume of calls. I finally got someone to contact me back when I emailed them and threatened complaining to the BBB (of which, it turns out, they are not apart of) I contacted them because I had paid for replacement insurance (what a joke)! I was told that a new one wouldn't ship until fall. So, I waited and waited and waited. I recontacted the person who had gotten back to me in the summer and she said they would ship late October or early November. It didn't happen. So, mid-November I contacted them again. This time I was told they had just gotten a freeze and that the trees were going to be dormant soon and shipping would start November 16. I contacted them once again and today I get a message that says because of my shipping zone they won't be shipping till spring. So, now I'm in the same boat - waiting. I am filing a second complaint with the BBB and will be finding a way to post on similar sites at this to get the word out. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!
Negative flborngirl
Clearwater, FL
November 21, 2015
Very sad and disappointed. Ordered a 5-6 ft okame cherry blossoming tree to honor the memory of my mom and my bonus mom (dad's wife) losing both to cancer this summer. Was excited it arrived just before thanksgiving to plant it with my father in 4 days. Did research to make sure the honor tree was capable of surviving in FL. Well, arrived today.It may survive if I can nurse the poor dehydrated decrepit 5ft $78 stick back to health. Definitely should have read reviews of this nursery first being such an important and emotional purchase for me. I'm not going to bother calling after reading the reviews now, frustrated enough at the condition of my order. I'm embarrassed for them to send something with no care of packaging for the living items they are shipping. Buyer Be Ware. Hopefully others will not support this type of company or they will try to learn from all of the negative reviews they are receiving and from retaining peoples money for their poor products.
Negative shawgardener
Springfield, IL
November 10, 2015
I want to get this company out of my mind--but before I do, I want to tell other gardeners what kind of plant and service to expect. My banana tree arrived but you'd have to do a DNA test to figure out what it was other than a pile of mush. The olive tree was small but at least obviously an olive. When I transplanted it, it looked like it had just been rooted. There were maybe 3 tiny roots to the whole rootball. I called the company, expecting actual customer service rather than constant evasion. Lesson learned! I can't believe they bother stating they have a guarantee. On what planet?
Negative nylarry
New York City, NY
October 30, 2015
The plants arrived in poor condition, dried out and miserable looking. The company was unresponsive, gave up after an hour of trying.
Negative ColoradoLeo
Longmont, CO
October 22, 2015
Posted on August 28, 2015, updated October 22, 2015
Posted on August 27, 2015, updated August 28, 2015
I ordered a \\\'Polar Tree Rose\\\" in June, thinking it was coming from a neighboring state, acclimated to our zone (Colorado). It ended up on our doorstep dehydrated and diseased, having shipped from Alabama in a packing medium which not only did not retain moisture but did not allow moisture. Immediately I emailed them about the poor condition of the plant, and took samples and photos to the local Extension office. Yes, it was fungal and viral. I let the company know they needed to have a talk w/ their supplier. After some week or so, I was granted a credit for the cost of the plant only.
When I used that credit in later August, (for a plant which was to ship form California, usually 2-days to arrive here) the C/S lady said it would ship within days - within the week. A few weeks later, yesterday, an email arrived with the surprise notification that it was finally shipping. But when I checked the tracking number, I found out they were sending -again - from the same Alabama supplier. When I checked their web site, I found out this tree was a cheaper item -nearly half the retail cost of the one I ordered. So they were sending an item which I did not order instead of the more expensive tree I ordered from California...
I emailed them to ask why they did not give me the option to cancel if they could not send the tree, or to wait for the next year\\\'s crop or obtain a refund. I let them know I felt frustrated that it was shipping from the problem supplier. Then I asked them to immediately stop shipment, refund my investment of $135. Today they have informed me they cannot do this - it\\\'s on the way, pleasure doing business with you, have a good day.
So I have left a VM for a manager - they have a group of managers to pick up the general VMbox messages. it is now 48 hours since their notification that the substitute cheaper tree is being shipped. And 48 hours since I got this ball rolling. We\\\'ll see.
I wish I\\\'d read about them here before ordering.
On August 28th, 2015, ColoradoLeo added the following:

I was able to refuse shipment this morning when it arrived. Although the C/S lady assured me they\'d return my VM within 24 hours, I have not heard from any of their \'managers\'.
On October 22nd, 2015, ColoradoLeo added the following:

I waited for a week or so before emailing. No VM arrived as promised. I asked for a refund. It took some weeks for a reply - saying they would grant one with a 'restocking fee' taken from it. In mid-September, I received only $18 out of a $135 order. Further emailing garnered a confirmation that I received $18 refund - the $66 refund credit also used to purchase the tree had not been calculated in. I have emailed them for correction of this problem.
Negative kndlpwendl
Bellewood, KY
October 1, 2015
I've ordered numerous products over the years and realize stuff happens when you are dealing live plants. But I recently went through my files and realized this company has a higher fail rate (plants/trees dying within the 1st year) than any of the others I have used. To top it off, I just cancelled an order I placed a week ago (It has not been shipped) and found out they charge a 10% or $10 cancellation fee, whichever is higher! She proceeded to tell me that it was in their terms and conditions (it is) and every time an order is placed, you have to agree to them. I have never had a cancellation fee for an order that has not been shipped, and will not be using Nature Hills again. Too many others are reputable and understand why they are in business. This company doesn't.
Neutral PerformanceArt
Abilene, TX
September 26, 2015
I ordered two avocado trees but they were never delivered. I contacted Nature Hills Nursery several times and my money was refunded. This took several months and it is now too late to get the trees before winter sets in.
I would rather have the trees but I am grateful that my money was refunded.
Negative Tslink
Franklin, IN
August 27, 2015
As with all the others here. I ordered the following from Nature Hills:

Autumn Blooming Cherry - 5 - 6 Feet Select Tree

Pink Flowering Dogwood - 4 - 5 Feet Select Tree

Rose of Sharon - Blue Chiffon - 4.5 inch pot

The Rose of Sharon came in the late fall, around October 15. What a joke. I am not kidding it was only 6 inches tall. I paid 25 dollars for it. It died sometime in the winter. Then my trees were on back order for 6 months. When they did come they were less then 3 foot tall and in very bad shape. We planted them and babied them. One died in April and the other died in July. What a waste of money. I am not new to ordering plants on line. Actually I am a farmer who has quite a bit of experience with plants and trees. I have gotten better trees from the cornfield. PLEASE DO NOT order from these people. I contacted customer service 4 times in the last 6 months. No response.
Negative JoeStrange
Abilene, TX
August 21, 2015
They took my money, sent me nothing and gave me the same line of bull I've seen in other reviews. I am in contact with a friend in Abilene who had the same experience and who contacted the Texas Attorney General's office. Apparently, failure to expedite an order according to their stated shipping times is not a crime, but a pattern of falsehoods in customer service can be regarded as criminal activity. I have forwarded my correspondence to my friend's lawyer and if the items have not been *already* processed as stated, then he will have two confirmed instances of fraud and ask the Attorney General's office to proceed with an investigation.
If they had told me "we're disorganized and incompetent" then I would just wait, impatiently, but taking my money and deliberately misleading me warrants action.
Negative luckione8
Jamaica Plain, MA
August 18, 2015
What a horrendous experience with Nature Hills Nursery -- POOR QUALITY TREES, EXPENSIVE PRICE and NO RETURN/REFUND. What an awful business that they wouldn't stand by their products for customer returns. I had made my order for 5 plants and all 5 have been in low quality. Trees that are like small twigs with limping branches and browning leaves.

Their customer representatives are a joke. They would not have an answer for you as to when the plants would be shipped or how to solve the situation as customer service. When the plants arrived -- they were in the process of dying and in poor quality. When I called to report, the representative could only read off the script of "take a photo for our review within the next 24 hours."

Nature Hills would not issue refund for the products. From many people here stated, they wanted the customers to pay 50% of the replacement + shipping cost. This is an unethical business and fraud.

I am in the process of reporting them to Federal Trading Commission.
Negative gardenkarma
Allston, MA
July 3, 2015
Ordered from here to see what all the fuss was about. Even though my tree was available early fall last year, it didn't actually deliver until late spring this year (I had forgotten I even ordered it). When it finally arrived, with no notification it had ever shipped, it was like an unexpected gift to myself that cost more than any self-respecting gardener would admit to paying for a fruit tree. The tree was in good shape when it finally arrived, but it's not like this fulfilment company had any hand in actually growing it. Nothing special. You can find everything here more reliably at quite literally any other mail-order gardening company for far more reasonable prices. Got to hand it to Nature Hills, though; people (myself included) still manage to buy their product for some reason.
Negative cpmelcher
Oak Park, IL
June 29, 2015
Terrible experience. NEVER USE NATURE HILLS EVER. YOU WILL BE RIPPED OFF. They say then send plants in 3 gal containers, they do but they are first year plants with no size. I spent 2x as much for 1/3 the plants. I went to the local nursery and spent half as much and got plants 3 times as large with a guarantee and no shipping. NEVER USE THESE PEOPLE. RIP OFF ARTISTS.
Negative cwadhams48
Ann Arbor, MI
June 23, 2015
I ordered 2 Beauty Of Moscow lilac bushes from this company in April, 2015. They arrived in May. As soon as they bloomed, one of the shrubs was not the correct one color. I called the company and informed them of this. They wanted pictures. I sent them the same day, including the tags on the plants.Today, I spoke with them on the phone (888-864-7663), in case anyone else tries to find an actual person to talk to. They were supposed to call me back two weeks ago as per a woman named Pat, who, at that time, had re-sent the pictures to a manager, and was waiting for their decision. She never called back. Today, I got the same discussion. She was sending the pictures again...waiting for a manager...will call me back in an hour. I told her I did not want another plant, but a refund. After reading all these reviews, this seems to be their pattern in (terrible) Customer Service. However this is resolved, if ever, I will not use them again. I also made them aware of all the negative reviews on this site while I was talking to her.
Negative jlynnpearl
Arlington, TX
June 2, 2015
I ordered one Japanese Cherry blossom tree in pink, two plumes and two butterfly plants.

I got a Cherry blossom tree that was white and not the same name as I ordered. I wrote and told them and they wanted pictures of tree and the tag that was on the tree. I supplied them with this the day after they requested it. Idid not get a reply back until a week later stating the manager would have to review and get back with me. Two week s passed. So I tried calling numerous times only to be send to voice mail after being on hold for 15 minutes each time to cancel the order. Then comes another tree to our door. Actually I should say a twig. That's all it was. It looked dead but it is now showing life but really a 4 foot twig for I $49.00. This was marked as the correct tree I ordered but I have no way of knowing what is truly is until it blooms. I didn't like how they did business nor what had happened so the other portion of the ordered I cancelled. I wrote to them email in which this is how we corresponded prior without issues. No word. So I called 4 times never a person only music for 15 minutes and then to voice mail. I left messages all three times stating the cancelling of my order because of their merchandise and service. I then had the merchandise show up at the door two months later.
I disputed it with our credit card company but it was overturned. The plants I received were awful. Brown, ugly and unhealthy. I would strongly recommend staying clear of this company.
Negative swimslowly
Polo, IL
May 26, 2015
Posted on May 26, 2015, updated May 26, 2015
Posted on May 14, 2014, updated May 26, 2015
I placed an order for two bare root Paw Paw trees since there were none available locally. Both arrived without any root systems and never broke dormancy. 15 other trees I purchased at the same time from \\\"Trees of Antiquity\\\" all broke dormancy and came with healthy, intact root systems despite also being dormant. The Paw Paw trees are now dead and the customer service representatives are rude and unhelpful. In response to my complaint Bonnie at Nature Hills wrote \\\"The Paw Paw does have a root system. I am sorry your disappointed.\\\" No offer for a return, no offer for a replacement and just overall terrible customer service. Rather than arguing with additional customer service representatives about the fake \\\"1 Year Guarantee\\\" and the pathetic examples of trees that were shipped to me I put in a chargeback with my credit card company. Do not buy from this company!!
On May 26th, 2015, swimslowly added the following:

Nature Hills fought the chargeback with my credit card company requesting I provide a letter from an expert which would officially declare the trees sent by Nature Hills dead. So I\'m supposed to pay someone at a nursery to write a letter over a $125 transaction when the trees that were mailed are clearly dead? After several days of arguing with my credit card company they instructed me to send the trees back to Nature Hills - which I did. Despite sending the trees back to the company I never received a refund and ended up just losing the $125. What a waste of time and energy. I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission as I feel this company is intentionally defrauding consumers, by selling \"live\" trees and then sending them dead sticks hoping they can not successfully complete a chargeback against them. Again, DO NOT buy from this company.
On May 26th, 2015, swimslowly added the following:

Nature Hills fought the chargeback with my credit card company requesting I provide a letter from an expert which would officially declare the trees sent by Nature Hills dead. So I'm supposed to pay someone at a nursery to write a letter over a $125 transaction when the trees that were mailed are clearly dead? After several days of arguing with my credit card company they instructed me to send the trees back to Nature Hills - which I did. Despite sending the trees back to the company I never received a refund and ended up just losing the $125. What a waste of time and energy. I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission as I feel this company is intentionally defrauding consumers, by selling "live" trees and then sending them dead sticks hoping they can not successfully complete a chargeback against them. Again, DO NOT buy from this company.
Negative marshallb
Saint Louis, MO
May 23, 2015
Posted on April 19, 2015, updated May 23, 2015
I ordered three trees in early February, 2015, they have charged my credit card (a lot) for the trees, but no word and no sign of any trees. I wish I had read this site before I ordered! I am afraid I\'ll either get nothing or a stack of dead sticks!
On May 23rd, 2015, marshallb added the following:

My plants finally arrived a few weeks ago. i I had read all the negative comments, I made sure to have my planting area ready and plenty of very good potting soil to baby the bare roots. I met the delivery at the door, immediately opened the box and immediately planted the plants. The elderberry looked good, plenty of roots and some green sprouts. It's growing fine. The two maple trees, both "select" and costing $50 each, looked bad. Very little in the way of roots, no leaves showing, no buds looking healthy. I planted them anyway and one has leafed out some, but the top foot of the plant has no viable buds or leaves. The other maple was dead on arrival and has had no growth, no leaves, no buds swelling, nothing. I did the "scratch test" and it was dead when it got here. Based on all I read here, there's no point trying to get any money back and I don't want to waste my time with a second tree. I am like a lot of the other commenters - I've bought mail order plants and trees since the late 1960's and have never had such a negative experience. I order a lot of everything on line and have also not had a company charge my credit card MONTHS before shipping the merchandise - in fact, only one other time has any company charged me before shipping. Don't order from this company. I don't know if they are intentionally scamming people or if they are just totally incompetent, but they are a complete waste of time and money.
Negative dsaleem
Chambersburg, PA
May 21, 2015
I ordered an olive tree in December 2014. Did not hear anything from Nature Hills until I wrote them after about 3 mts. They said that they would send it in April of 2015 due to adverse weather conditions. Meanwhile they charged my credit card for the full amount in December. I told them i live in Pennsylvania and intended to plant the tree in a pot so weather was not an issue for me. When April came i still did not hear from them or receive my tree. I told them to cancel the order and refund my purchase. After many calls to customer service. they finally gave me a refund after deducting 20 percent restocking fee. Restocking fee for something that was never pulled for shipment in the first place. These people are crooks. This company is a scam. Charge your credit card first and never intend to send any merchandise. You have to call many times to get a response and you will be lucky to get either your money back or the merchandise. Do Not Buy From These Scamers.
Negative sycamore15
Gibsonia, PA
May 19, 2015
I received a 'bare root' American Sycamore tree...just 'today' 5/19/2015, as a mother's day gift from my daughter. She was as excited as I was when the box arrived. I understand that bare-root plants can look 'dead' when they arrive...I think most gardeners have planted the shriveled tubers and plucked the over wintered roses from storage....but honestly! This tree is about 6 feet tall and has NO tap roots and just a tiny amount of dried hairs connected to the main root system that was clipped off very short and now dried.
My daughter looked deflated and I told her we would take photos and I would call the company.

That wasn't easy. You do certainly get a round and round 'hold' time and they shuffle you off a bit. I hung up once and called a second time.

While on hold I read MANY BBB complaints about this company!

One of the greenhouse managers got on the phone and promised that this tree would leaf out in no more than 8 weeks. But if it DOESNT....I can call back and they will happily ship ANOTHER tree for MORE shipping charges because as she pointed out; we don't give refunds on shipping.

hmmm.

Seriously?

That's quite an angle considering they seem to be shipping a lot of 'dead-wood' ( ;

I stand 'warned' though...and unless by some miracle this tree springs to life....I will remain faithful in filing my own grievance against them, though as Ive already read...they stand by their policy that you can pretty continually pay shipping without any promise from them that you will get a tree that will survive.

How much will the sycamore end up costing if we get a winner? ) :

Anyhow...Ill keep you posted!
Negative rumc0347
May 11, 2015
In the fall of 2012 I purchased a WHITE redbud. When it flowered in spring of 2013, the lone flower was pink not white. I contacted the company; they responded that I needed to submit a photo, but by the time they had responded to my email inquiry the flower had fallen off. So I waited as instructed until spring of 2014 and submitted my claim again. This time sending pictures, which the company responded were not close enough to be able to tell what tree I had but that I should have understood, according to their nursery manager, that the white redbud could have a mix of pink and white flowers. This was never discussed in the description when I purchased this tree!! So I waited again until this spring, resubmitted multiple photos documenting that there are indeed only pink flowers on the redbud. Again waiting several weeks to answer my inquiry, I was told that they did not have any white redbud in stock but MAYBE they would in the fall and MIGHT reship! Hum..... 3 years to resolve an issue that is clearly their fault in shipping the wrong tree??? My take on this situation: my purchase price should be refunded. Still waiting to hear their response to my suggestion.
Neutral Moonmist1
Ships in Spring 2015 11133-1013254 1 $24.95
Subtotal $54.90
Shipping $19.95
Grand Total $74.85

Today, April 17, I received a 5\" pot Baptisia.
What?
So I called the company. I was told to take a photo of the Baptisia and email it to them. They will get back to me.
I\'ll let you know how they handle it.
On April 30th, 2015, Moonmist1 added the following:

Ended up receiving all plants I ordered, but still would not recommend. Too much trouble for so-so plants.
Negative CowboysUrbanDaughter
Omaha, NE
April 29, 2015
We ordered an crab apple for our front yard. "4 - 5 Feet Select Tree" More like selected from our trash bin!

Our tree arrives with a HUGE hole in the trunk where someone ripped off a lower branch. You can see clean into the hardwood in this tiny little trunk (only 1" in diameter, if that) AND it is infested on almost half the buds with aphids!!! The branches are not pruned (as they should be because they are growing into each other and rubbing.)

I immediately took pictures and sent them to the company. Their "Nursery Manager" received our photos and stated that "it appears the tear on the trunk should continue to heal and not affect the overall health of the tree. " (!) Half of the bark and live wood are gone which you can clearly see in the photo! How is a tree suppose to heal over that?
There was no comment about the aphid infestation.

I responded back with more pictures, giving even greater detail to the wound. NO response... as of yet

Even if they do refund our money or send a better tree, I'm not sure I can recommend them to anyone in good faith.
Negative artfuldodger83
April 21, 2015
I never should have clicked on the "agreeing to terms and conditions" clause when ordering. It was impossible to read! So when the completely unacceptable All-in-One Almond arrived, apparently I had no recourse except to kiss $61.90 goodbye. Apparently you can get another plant for half price (PLUS shipping) if the first one is unacceptable but we are in the middle of moving into a new place and I simply do not have the time to take another gamble on Nature Hills!!!

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]