The scoop on 'Chris Bowers & Sons Whispering Trees Nurseries'

Chris Bowers & Sons Whispering Trees Nurseries

Wimbotsham
Norfolk, PE34 8QB
(United Kingdom)

Phone: 01366 388752
Fax: 01366 386858

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of plants.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive MikeCook
Orpington,
June 28, 2016
I chose Chris Bowers because they had the varieties I wanted, on the stocks I wanted, at the time I wanted and at a reasonable price. I placed two orders: one for two pear trees (Josepene de Malines and Beth) and one for an Oullins Golden Gage. In both cases the trees arrived promptly and in good condition. All three are growing happily in my small orchard.
Positive ClareMarshall
Newton Abbot,
June 26, 2016
I ordered two standard gooseberries which arrived as described -they were both the same height and shape/size which helped me achieve the desired symmetry in my plot -they were well packaged and arrived promptly -the website was easy to use .Recommended .
Positive PinkyF
June 25, 2016
Chris Bower has been one of the most considerate and efficient online retailers I have ever ordered from.
Their after sale care is exemplary, and the products are of high quality. I believe they are the specialist in the field of gardening and I will continue to avail their services.
I thoroughly recommend them.
Positive Tropism
Kings Lynn,

June 7, 2016
I was looking for an unusual fruit tree, and Bowers were the only place that had them. They responded very rapidly to an email query (on a Sunday!) and were very positive and helpful.
My following order was carried out very quickly and I received the tree in good condition - it was healthy and well packed in a large box, with padding.
The tree is now thriving and I am very happy with the service - I have used them before and will use them again.
Positive jdklondon
June 7, 2016
Great plant selection. Easy to navigate and buy plants through the website. Efficient and timely delivery. And just the right amount of emails to keep me informed of the progress of my order. Really impressed!
Positive ClaraCluck
June 6, 2016
We brought two fruit trees for our allotment. We're allowed to plant dwarfing varieties. We opted for the Victoria plum and a Conference pear.

They were delivered quiet quickly and in good order. We had to delay planting them in the ground as our clay soil was very wet.

They were temporarily planted in pots and then re planted once the ground had dried out.

Both trees are doing well. They're in leaf and we've even had, just a little, blossom.

I would use this company again and have been impressed so far.
Positive carolcawthorne
barnsley,
June 4, 2016
Excellent service and really good quality stock. Can highly recommend and would definately use again.
Positive GeorgeEllison
June 3, 2016
I have used Chris Bowers for a number of years and always found the trees to be of good quality and the website has very helpful information.
Positive Showmansam
shrewsbury,
May 31, 2016
I wanted to experiment with super column trees, never having had them before. I placed my order with Chris Bowers based on price, availability of the varieties I wanted, and also the number of positive reviews I had read.
I was not disappointed. Delivery date was e-mailed promptly, and the trees arrived as promised, well packaged, and as described.

Would certainly buy from them again.
Positive Nopinkflowers
LEICESTER,
May 29, 2016
We decided to have a go at growing a greengage tree, even though we knew the site might be less than ideal, in heavy clay. To make matters worse, we had left it very late in the season to be planting bare root fruit trees (end of March). We were able to buy the particular combination of half standard and St Julien rootstock which we wanted, which was otherwise hard to find, at what seemed a very reasonable price. When it arrived, the good-sized tree didn't seem to have noticed that it had been moved, apart from a reluctance to spring back having been tied up for transportation. It burst into leaf straight away and hasn't looked back. Fingers crossed for some fruit next year.
Positive PClackson
Somerset,
May 28, 2016
Only nursery I could find easily that supplied a the varieties of trees I wanted as Super Columns.
Trees arrived on time and in good condition.
When issue arose with one tree not coming into leaf this spring nursery promptly replied and will send a replacement next week.
Positive jsduncan
Aberdeen,
May 28, 2016
Ordered 3 cordon apple trees, gooseberries and rhubarb over winter 15/16. All arrived within a couple of weeks in a strawpacked envelope.
All planted out after storage for a week (ground was frozen). Everything growing well. Very pleased.
Positive unhappy01
Bedford,
May 27, 2016
Posted on May 18, 2016, updated May 27, 2016
Posted on May 3, 2016, updated May 18, 2016
paid for a grapevine on 21/04. Despite several email requests for an update to the order I received no reply. You cannot phone them because they say they will only answer email queries. Or not in my case. Very unhappy, Will try and claim my money back through charge back with my credit card company. I have now wasted 2 weeks.

I would not recommend doing business with this company.
On May 18th, 2016, unhappy01 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Eventually heard back. It seems that I missed the comment that the grapevine was currently out of stock. This is now being dispatched apparently. So my main criticism is the difficulty in getting a response to my queries.
On May 27th, 2016, unhappy01 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Now received vine and a complimentary Blueberry bush. Both in very good condition. So happy to change my rating to positive!
Positive pierre266
Leicester,
May 26, 2016
In relation to a bare root Concorde Pear Tree ordered last year, delivery was very fast and any of my doubts as to if I'd been sent the correct item (a bush tree) were soon clarified by Robert's expertise. The tree was planted in February and has since come out of dormancy and growing very well indeed. Would certainly consider buying from these people again given their specialism in quality fruit trees. Thank you for the service!
Positive Davidel
Derbyshire,
May 26, 2016
Web site easy to navigate. Huge selection with different rootstock. Stock arrived quickly and well wrapped.
Difficult to contact by phone but reply promptly to emails
Positive TBebbing
Bath,
May 22, 2016
I ordered two compact supercolumnar apple trees. The arrived packed well, have been planted and are now covered with leaves. I can't wait until next year when they start producing apples (the instructions were clear that you may not get apples the first year). There were quite a lot of varieties to choose from on their website with clear descriptions, so my biggest problem was which ones to choose!
Positive KarenandTom
Berwick upon Tweed,
May 21, 2016
In 2005 we planted a dessert apple ‘Redsleeves’ from Chris Bowers. It is now a strong, healthy tree giving a good crop of delicious small red apples with a firm, tangy flesh. It has been such a success that in November 2015 we ordered another to go in our orchard. The new Redsleeves arrived as expected and is a good, healthy young tree which has begun to grow well.
Positive JanKilpatrick
Highlands,
May 21, 2016
I have just bought a walnut tree from this company. It arrived well-packaged and in excellent condition and was a more mature tree than I expected. It is a beautiful shape and seems very sturdy. I am looking forward to seeing it settle in growing in our orchard.

Jan Kilpatrick
Positive ben93
bexleyheath,
May 21, 2016
I purchased some products from this company and had healthy and very good plants and had great customer service too. I would highly recommend for the speedy delivery too.
Positive Bryan1939
Brighton,
May 21, 2016
Had consistent problems with gooseberry mildew, have now removed the bushes and replaced them with resistant varieties from Chris Bowers. Delivery was quick well packed and the plants look very healthy. I am hoping for great things time will tell. Happy with my dealings with this company.
Bryan1939
Positive JacquiBurke
May 21, 2016
As a first time buyer of fruit trees I found the information on the website very helpful. It enabled to select trees to meet my needs (including explaining the various rootstocks used and how these impact on the size of the trees - only time will tell). My trees arrived promptly and were well packaged with straw to protect them. The most useful thing was the planting and pruning information that was emailed to me following my order. I heeled them in as instructed and later planted them where they are to grow. They seem to be quite happy and are doing well. The instructions tell me how to prune them to fan train them which is what I plan to do. My only slight disappointment was how immature the trees were on arrival. I'm not convinced they will produce any fruit for some years but again time will tell. I would definitely buy from Chris Bowers again and have recommended them to my friend.
Positive richardbailey
May 18, 2016
Brought 6 blackcurrant bushes from Chris Bowers Nurseys,(2 separate orders) and the delivery was in a timely manner and the quality of bushes was good. The bushes are still only small but loaded with flowers so expect a decent crop already. Thanks Chris Bowers - Rich Bailey.
Positive stephenbooth
Nottingham,
May 18, 2016
We used this company for the first time recently, and we've been very happy with the result. We ordered a Worcesterberry and a Karaka Black, but had left it too late to get bare root plants. We were advised promptly by email that the pot grown plants would take a few weeks to be ready. In fact, they arrived earlier than we expected and were in very good condition. They're now planted and growing nicely. For anyone interested in growing fruit, the range on their website seems very good, with some unusual varieties hard to find anywhere else.
Positive sibbaldi
devon,
May 18, 2016
I ordered an Arthur Turner M25 apple tree in February and it was delivered within the planting period. It looks a very sturdy healthy young tree, which at the moment is covered in blossom. No problems with ordering and a good quality plant.
Positive fredathepayne
Lings Langley,
Posted on April 16, 2015, updated May 18, 2016
Super-fast service, top class stock and excellent after-sales advise. What more can I say?
A1 nursery, would definitely buy again.
On May 18th, 2016, fredathepayne added the following:

Strawberry plants flourishing, lots of flowers and healthy growth,.
I am looking forward to a bumper crop - much better than wan looking plants I bought from another so-called fruit specialist nursery.
Well done Chris Bowers!
Negative LolaCola
Sussex,
March 15, 2016
INCOMPLETE ORDER : My order for three trees was incomplete and its difficult to follow up as they dont answer the phone (recorded message) - I explained in an email (and a reminder email) the trees were a gift and it was embarrassing when the package was opened to find one missing. They are refunding me, which I appreciate, but said as far as they wre concerned they packed the full order and they were no lomger sending out that variety. Either they did not believe me or they did not want to pay the postage to correct their error. I am so very disappointed as the three trees were to be a memorial gift. I think they handled the complaint badly, I don't believe they don't have any more trees of that variety in stock, and I will never buy anything from Chris Bowers again.
Positive jameschi
Saillans,
France
November 30, 2015
Positive deandunn
Norwich,
April 4, 2015
The mini cordon Apple trees I bought from this nursery 2 years ago have been a great success and last Autumn we had a good first crop.
The Fiesta apple tree has over 15 fruits which was just amazing for such a young tree. 'Redsleeves' and 'Sunset' too had some nice fruits and I look forward to even better things in the coming years.
The 3 trees are only planted 20" apart but they seem to be thriving and haven't needed any pruning so far.
Positive reggiebaby1
Hythe,
March 20, 2015
My soft fruit bushes just arrived and look good, very prompt service and so well packed. Thank You.
Positive jimmyspeedo1
ipswich,
February 14, 2015
Having done some research on my fruit tree planting requirements, I rang three or four places to get advice and the experience was quite frustrating until I contacted this Nursery, the telephone was answered by a man who clearly knew exactly what he was talking about and could answer all of my questions without hesitation. This wasn't the case with the first 3 places I tried; two of them were clearly reading from a set list of 'answers to questions' and much of what they imparted to me didn't seem to have any relation to what I had asked and didn't answer my queries! And of the last, I was promised to be put through to an 'expert' but after listening to the telephone ringing for 5 minutes I gave up.
So top marks to Chris Bowers for obviously knowing what they are talking about, and the order came in good condition and promptly.
Positive papillio
Exeter,
February 1, 2015
My father planted a lot of fruit trees and bushes, over many years when I was younger and I remember most - if not all - of them came from this nursery. Gosh they did well, every summer the trees seemed to be groaning with fruit, huge apples and big plums and pears and even a greengage tree as well. Most winters another package would turn up from Chris Bowers with more treasures inside, plants and trees that shaped my childhood memories.
I have checked up the Chris Bowers website and was delighted to still see them trading and such a big selection of varieties too. I do not have a garden so I cannot plant any of their delicious fruit trees but maybe one day I will be able to plant a little piece of my childhood from this nursery.
Positive denamarie2
Lancaster,
January 25, 2015
Received a lovely heirloom Gooseberry by return post, so well packed. Thank you Chris Bowers & Sons.
Positive briggsy1963
January 18, 2015
This Autumn had a great crop of big apples from the 'Jupiter' apple trees I bought from this nursery 3 years ago.
They provided a good service.
Jupiter is my favourite apple ever since I tasted some at a farm shop years afo. Although it's a bit more vigorous it's easier to grown than 'Cox's Orange' with less disease and the flavour is really full-on.
Positive pistolpete1967
John O'Groats,
January 10, 2015
Very good raspberry canes recieved well packed and with a helpful growing guide. Pleased.
Positive jeremyduncombe
Kent,
December 8, 2014
I was nervous about dealing with Chris Bowers after seeing negative comments on this website. I decided to give them a go, and placed an order over the Internet for fruit bushes and rhubarb crowns. The order was placed on Wednesday evening and arrived the following Monday morning. It was well packed and the plants look like good quality. Chris Bowers is not the cheapest supplier, but with service like this I will do business with them again.
Negative rhogarden
Watton,
November 8, 2014
Unbelievably appaling shopping experience......never again!!

I placed an order by telephone in early October for fruit trees, Immediate delivery was offered but I asked for a 2 week delay as the holes were not even dug. Recently after over 3 weeks had passed and nothing received I started telephoning but no answer so I also sent an Email asking if they were on holiday or no longer in business, again no reply! Through searching the web i found several companies ascociated with the bower name and the same postcodes so I phoned one of the other numbers, wow an answer BUT very offish, claimed to know nothing about other companies but maybe he could do something for me. Later that same day I received this increadable Email :-
You it was that asked for your order to be delayed. If you had not done so it would have been received before now. Your order had entered despatch for delivery in the next few days but I disapprove strongly of your 'tone' comments and actions. As a result your order has been cancelled and a refund made to your account.
Regards
Jon.

Needless to say I have reported them to trading standards and my credit card company, my advice to anybody reading this is do not deal with any company where any of the people concerned have the name bowers and is situated in Norfolk.

I am placing my order elsewhere and wish I had in the first place, a month lost and an extremely nasty experience.
Positive gattonero
August 29, 2014
Posted on January 24, 2011, updated August 29, 2014
Posted on December 4, 2009, updated January 24, 2011
I received a small part of my order last spring. I waited and waited for my alpine strawberry plants to arrive - but they never did. Chris Bowers took the money from my credit card in May but never sent an invoice, a credit card receipt or even an acknowledgment of my order. Without this documentation, the credit card company can\'t help to get a refund. I have emailed and called often and only occasionally was able to speak to anyone. I asked for a refund in October and one person said yes - but I never received the refund. The last time I was able to get through by phone, I explained the situation and once I had stopped speaking, the person said they couldn\'t hear me! It is now December and I have not received my refund. I have now taken advice from Consumer Direct on 0845 404 0506.
On January 24th, 2011, gattonero added the following:

I check back occasionally and am always shocked that this kind of thing is still going on. I can only recommend that you contact the Trading Standards Officer at Norfolk County Council on 08454 04 05 06. They will help you.
On August 29th, 2014, gattonero changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I was completly wrong. Chris Bowers took the time to get me the shrubs I needed to make my garden a masterpeice. I dont think Ill be able to shop anywhere else. Thank you Chris Bowers from the bottom of my heart
Negative enead
exeter,
May 24, 2014
very poor customer service - rude and offhand response on phone, no paperwork for order. Order (strawberry plants) didn't arrive at stated time and had to be chased up and plants of very poor quality when received despite high price compared to other suppliers. Polite and constructive letter sent to them detailing problems with both service and plant quality - received dismissive and evasive email reply answering none of my points.
Negative antique1991
inverness,
April 12, 2014
I ordered 6 fruit bushes which were very expensive (compared to other nurseries). They arrived in 3" pots and looked weedy to say the least. When I phoned up to voice my concerns the man was extremely rude and abusive and said 'you don't know what you are talking about'. One of the bluberry bushes in this delivery was £21.95, poor plants and appalling customer service.

I did manage to get my money back 6 days after they received the plants.
Negative Mayfly1961
Harrogate,
January 27, 2014
I bought some trees and fruit bushes some years ago from this company- the so called fully trained fan plum was shocking- consisting of 4 branches only, two of them broken. Packing was poor just sent in a brown paper sack which had come adrift. Compared to others such as Deacons and the old Highfield Nurseries in Gloucestershire the packing was dreadful. A red currant meant to be trained on a leg was a stooled plant - poor.

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.