The scoop on 'J.L. Hudson, Seedsman'

J.L. Hudson, Seedsman

J.L. Hudson, Seedsman has 1412 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good J.L. Hudson, Seedsman is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

La Honda, California 94020 (United States)

Phone: n/a
Fax: n/a

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive bunnyholmes
Beaverdam, VA
May 25, 2016
The best seed company I know. They set my business apart from all my peers. I've been buying from them since the 80's. Never had a problem. You will LOVE them! Quick response time too, the best in the business...
Positive Ruth_MI
Northville, MI
April 30, 2016
Posted on March 22, 2011, updated April 30, 2016
Posted on April 22, 2007, updated March 22, 2011
Wanted to bulk order some seeds, and found them here for a reasonable price. Arrived in about a week from the time I ordered. Will order from them again.
On March 22nd, 2011, Ruth_MI added the following:

ordered from them again in 2011 and once again received fast shipping and good value.
On April 30th, 2016, Ruth_MI added the following:

Continue to order from JL Hudson. Still happy with seeds and shipping times. Seeds germinate well.
Neutral gourdobean
Minden, NV (Zone 5a)
April 3, 2016
Posted on April 4, 2016, updated April 4, 2016
Can\'t figure out how to get in touch with this company. They\'re mailing list is compromised in some way and individuals are getting ALL email requests to get catalogs. I am getting inundated with emails. I hope they address this problem soon, plus I have the emails of all the people who are emailing them and they have mine, NOT GOOD.

PS I really like this company and will take this down as soon as I know they are addressing the problem.
On April 3rd, 2016, gourdobean changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

If I click on your Dave's Garden hyperlink I get a warning Possible Phishing Site and an explanation of what a phishing site is. Apparently your hyperlink is having problems and may have been compromised.

Sorry for your troubles.

Thanks for addressing the problem with the emails so quickly.
Company representative comment on April 3, 2016:
On Apr 3, 2016 7:41 PM, J.L. Hudson, Seedsman responded with:

Sorry, I've just been hammered by technical problems outside my control!

This was a problem with servers and e-mail programs - I NEVER would do this deliberately! I hate spam, and have a very strong, clear privacy policy posted on our website. We NEVER share our client's e-mails. I hate spam - every day I have to waste time deleting hundreds of spam e-mails every day.

In fact the whole point of the bulk e-mailing that went wrong was to let people OPT-OUT of getting e-mails - to reduce unnecessary e-mails!

The mailing list software on my host screwed up - I had clearly set it up to NEVER send any messages without admin approval, saved the settings, and logged out. I don't know how it switched itself to an open list where everyone got every message sent to it. I've done this before, and never had this kind of problem. ALL messages should have been held for approval by the moderator.

I always use BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) when mailing to a list! The other e-mail addresses should never have shown up and been visible to others. This was definitely a problem with the servers at my host. The prior mailing also had server problems. A total snafu all around.

I've gone into the interface and deleted ALL e-mail addresses from the server, so nothing further can be sent through the list.

I hope people will visit my privacy policy page at http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/Privacy.htm and digital privacy info at http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/Links.htm#Privacy. We use no cookies on our site, so you are not tracked, and our mailing list and other records (except e-mail, obviously) are maintained in a physically-isolated computer with no internet or network connection—hackers and viruses cannot obtain access to it. We do not sell, rent, or give away our postal mailing list, and we do not spam, and we do not sell, rent, or give away your e-mail address.

My understanding is that "spam" is unsolicited e-mail to persons who have never contacted a business. E-mails to persons who have an existing or past business relationship is generally not considered "spam", and the whole point of the e-mail in question was to ask people to let us know if they do not want to receive e-mails notifying them that a new seed list has been uploaded to the website. To quote from the e-mail itself:

"Please either Opt-In or Opt-Out of these emails. Just hit 'reply' and say opt-in or opt-out in the subject line or in the e-mail body."

"Opt-in means you will receive only TWO e-mails per year, notifying you when the yearly catalog is uploaded on the website, and a second one when the spring seedlist is uploaded."

"Opt-out means that we will NOT send you these notifications, and will ONLY e-mail you if there is a question about your order or about your postal mailing address."

That said, in the past we have had spammers (mostly in Russia and Nigeria) forge our address and send out e-mails with our return address, so we will go through a few days of getting hundreds (or thousands) of bounced mails. Fortunately these are sent to general mass mailing lists, not to our clients, as we haven't ever had our computers hacked and our emails harvested. So our clients haven't had problems with this.

Anyway, apologies to all who were annoyed by this snafu!

I hate e-mail. In fact, I really hate email. This has been one of those days when I consider just driving my tractor over this computer and just walking away from all this tech nonsense!

Neutral BBrandon77
Knoxville, TN (Zone 7a)
April 3, 2016
Posted on April 3, 2016, updated April 3, 2016
Beware! This company just sent my email address and many many other customer\'s email addresses to everyone on their mailing list! IMO, this is beyond irresponsible. If you do consider doing business with this company, DON\'T GIVE THEM YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS!
On April 3rd, 2016, BBrandon77 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I got another email explaining that the problem was more complex and technical rather than an oversight, so I am changing my rating to Neutral. I am concerned that this whole thing happened, but I guess sometimes technology is just a pain.
Company representative comment on April 3, 2016:
On Apr 3, 2016 7:43 PM, J.L. Hudson, Seedsman responded with:

Sorry, I've just been hammered by technical problems outside my control!

Anyway, apologies to all who were annoyed by this snafu!

Positive jagrogan
Somerset, KY (Zone 6b)
March 8, 2016
Well, I don't honestly know that the evergreen huckleberries, vaccinum ovatum, will sprout for me in Zone 6b in Somerset, Kentucky but I was very pleased to is was so easy to order the seeds to try from Hudson. They are friendly and efficient.

It remains to be seen if that type of huckleberry will grow here if I do get the seed to sprout, if it does I will foundation plant around the north and northeast side of my house with them and part way down the driveway where all the shade is. I will later order about 10 start plants though for in from of the living room picture window.

Oh, and I ordered 2 packs. One pack is going in the freezer til next January when I will try to start those.
Positive Missyinbama
Wetumpka, AL (Zone 8a)
March 7, 2016
I absolutely love this company's seed selection. If you want colorful photos, don't bother requesting the catalog. The physical catalog doesn't have photos, but it does have a wonderful seed selection with basic growing information. While the online catalog listings include a few photos, they really aren't designed for beginning gardeners who need in depth growing information. If you're just starting out you may want to use the online catalog listings and google the photos and growing conditions of each plant before ordering. Overall this is one of my favorite companies; I'm able to get seeds for plants I couldn't otherwise get locally. I look forward to doing more business with them.
Positive Maplekeys
February 29, 2016
I'm another who's signed up to Dave's Garden specifically to be able to give a positive review for JL Hudson!

I've ordered from JLH for years, always easy, always fast, always excellent germination, always among the least costly -- and the wonderful catalog opens my eyes to so many things I'd never have dreamed of trying and that one never sees in "ordinary" catalogs; it's an education in itself. Over the years I've had many fine adventures thanks to the JLH folks.

I can't begin to imagine the hard work it takes to maintain this many varieties, listings, orders... This is a special place, so glad it exists.
Positive chiptree
Boylston, MA (Zone 5a)
January 5, 2016
This is the first time in over forty years of doing business with JLHudson that I've had the opportunity to rate my experience with their company and products. The catalogue is worth getting just for the seed germination information, let alone all the other extraneous comments, et cetera. Whether it has been tree seeds, perennial seeds, tropical plant seeds, or vegetable seeds, the quality and quantity have always been excellent. I am a horticulturist by trade, and have worked in the industry for the last forty-nine years, so I do know what I'm talking about. If you are looking for a good source of seeds, here it is.
Positive greenaurangabad
Aurangabad,
India
January 4, 2016
I have ordered seeds from J L Hudson many times in the past.
The orders were always delivered on time and without error.

J L Hudson is providing a valuable service by making available
a wide range of seeds.

Ability to sort by plant-type e.g. tree/vines/creepers/fruit-bearing/fragrant/creepers/tropical/ .. etc and addition of a
pictorial catalog would improve user-experience.

Thanks for providing this great service.

Positive RareFruit2909
Lebanon, OH
December 27, 2015
This is a good company and deserves all the positive reviews. I've ordered from them a number of times as well as provided them with fresh-harvested bloodroot and paw paw, but this is my first review. Overall, I've had great luck with their seed and have been highly satisfied with the selection, quantity and value. The occasional pack that doesn't germinate - well one has to consider that many of the wild or novel species offered may have very specific soil/light/moisture/scarification requirements and may require a more experienced grower or optimal natural conditions to break the dormancy and achieve the best results. If ordering these types of seed from any supplier, I find my success is often greatly enhanced by researching the species, habitat, and cultivation requirements in advance so that I know the do's/don'ts beforehand. Overall, a great resource and company for conserving and providing non-GMO, non-patented, open-pollinated choices for eco-conscious customers!
Positive karrr
Scotch Plains, NJ
November 27, 2015
Easy and Super quick! Very happy with my order.
Positive DonShirer
Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a)
September 15, 2015
Posted on December 29, 2006, updated September 15, 2015
I placed my first order with them last spring with mixed results.
Gaura, centaurea, platycodon and lobelia did well.
Several other perennials germinated but did poorly after transplanting.
This may not be their fault since our soil is generally poor, and I may not
have enriched it enough.
Their Bulls Blood Beet and (surprisingly) Viola Tricolor did not
germinate well.
I may order from them again, since their catalog is quite informative,
but at present I cannot give them a standing ovation.
On September 15th, 2015, DonShirer changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I have received several orders from them in the years since my first comment with generally good results. Recently I placed an order for an ounce of seeds and forgot to include postage. They sent it anyway with no complaint. (I reimbursed them with my next order!) So I have upgraded my rating to positive +.
Company representative comment on February 28, 2007:

On Feb 20, 2007 8:04 PM, J.L. Hudson, Seedsman added:

Mr. Shirer placed his request January 16th, and his seeds were mailed January 20th, 2006. We heard nothing more from him until seeing his remarks on Garden Watchdog.

The seeds supplied were good - the Bull's Blood Beet had germination well over the USDA Federal Standard of 80%, and the Viola had close to its maximum germination of about 25% (see below).

When people complain to us, we don't mind - we thank them! I've always said that the rare valid complaint about seed germination is worth $1000 - if a bad lot somehow slips by our quality control program, or particular lot of seed "goes off" in between regular scheduled germination tests, and a client brings this to our attention, we can pull the lot, retest it, and stop distribution if bad. This helps prevent others from having a bad experience, and keeps our reputation intact.

Even an invalid complaint about germination is worth $100 - because by replacing the seed and explaining to the client what might have gone wrong in the sowing of the seed, we can both help the client achieve better success with seeds, and show them that the seed was not at fault, and that we take seed quality seriously.

But if the client never tells us that they had poor germination, we have no chance of making things right. Unfortunately, Mr. Shirer never contacted us at all about these seeds. We wish he had! If he had, we would have reported that the Bull's Blood Beet that he ordered in January 2006 had given 85% when tested just two months before in November 2005, and gave 92% tested June 2007, and gave 96% tested in December 2006 (yes, many seeds go up in germination for several years before they start to go down). Certainly if he had no germination, something was wrong in the conditions when he sowed them. If he had contacted us, we would have gladly sent him another packet to try, and reported to him the results of our test.

The Viola tricolor Sawyer's Black is a tricky one to germinate, and under the best of conditions it usually gives only low germination. Violas can be very tricky, some requiring a prechill, exposure to light, or treatment with GA-3 in order to get germination. Under our description of this seed, we clearly note that it has naturally low germination. Again, we would have sent him another packet with suggestions on how to get better results.

His poor results are no reflection on his skill - he got good results from the Gaura, another kind that is often tricky to germinate.

Seeds are living things and even the best among us will have unexplained failures of germination. Even in our laboratory tests under controlled conditions we sometimes have unexplainable failures, with the same seed giving good results when retested. As we pros say "Go figure!"

So I urge everyone to always, always complain, but be sure you contact the supplier FIRST - don't publicly complain about someone unless you have contacted them first, and given them a chance to fix any problem. All mail-order suppliers are concerned about their reputations, and it is unfair to diminish their reputation without contacting them first.

We are glad Mr. Shirer only gave us a "Neutral" rating (rather than Negative), and he also showed his honesty by mentioning that his soil might have been at fault.

Rule of thumb - don't publicly complain about someone until you have contacted them and given them a chance to fix whatever the problem - it's only fair.

Please, send a friendly report of your results, and you will receive a friendly, helpful reply in return!

Positive Betauser
Forest City, NC
July 17, 2015
Ordered on the weekend, shipped Tuesday & arrived Friday from California to N.C.
Very pleased.
Positive msms
Oroville, CA
June 20, 2015
Fast delivery. Easy to pay and e-mail.
Positive mreizman
Long Beach, CA
June 9, 2015
I learned about J.L. Hudson in Michael Pollan's book, Second Nature, and sent away for seeds to plant in my community garden plot -- the first garden I've ever had. I kept it simple and only planted Carrots, Beets, and Brussels Sprouts. All grew extremely well.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
May 23, 2015
Posted on January 5, 2014, updated May 23, 2015
Posted on May 7, 2012, updated January 5, 2014
Posted on December 20, 2002, updated May 7, 2012
I have ordered from J. L. Hudson for the last four years and have been very pleased. The germination rate, if the instructions are followed, is in excess of 95% for the perennials and annuals I have started from seed. Unlike most catalogues, this one specifies the expected rate (50%, for example, which allows you to adjust the amount you sow)
and just how difficult or easy the germination process will be, so you can decide whether it is worth a go. The prices are unbelievably low; (the \"expensive\" ones are $2.00 a pack) and I have had the opportunity to grow plants that you may have heard described and never seen, or grow a different variant on a familiar plant. As an example, Platycodon grandiflorus (blue ballooon flower) is in every catalogue - but is Perlemutter (mother of pearl with dark pink lines - much more rare, and beautiful, that Fuji Pink) or the white version? And the postage is $1.00 for up to 20 packets! Given the high quality and germination rates, the low prices and the cheap postage, not to mention the sometimes rare and normally expensive varieties, this may be the best bargain in seeds.
On May 7th, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

Although the prices have gone up just a bit since I wrote my last review, I have continued to be very pleased with my dealings with JL Hudson. I was sent an email confirming my order, and told when it would ship. They are still the best bargain in seeds. I ordered some seeds from their supplemental catalog, and they arrived promptly, well packaged and with generous amounts of seed. It\'s a pleasure doing business with them.
On January 5th, 2014, DonnaMack added the following:

What I do not include above is that I have ordered year after year from this wonderful company, enjoying unique seeds (salvia ssp. tesquicola, anyone?) and 100% customer satisfaction, and I would like to mention the latter today. I placed an order through Paypal, and one of the seeds that I wanted was unavailable. I got a message from Paypal about my refund, and when I went to my email account the Nice people at JL Hudson informed me which seed was out of stock, and mentioned that the refund had been sent. And the funds are in my account. No waiting, no delays. And since the seed I was after is, for some reason, becoming rare (cerinth Honeywort) I was very pleased to be able to order it immediately from the only company I could find that stocks it.

How cool is that?
On May 23rd, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I would like to add that I have just germinated JL Hudson seed from 2008. Yes, I keep it in the fridge but germination on OLD seed is in excess of 90%.
Positive dishpantheism
Beverly Hills, CA
May 6, 2015
My family has been buying seeds from Hudson (and Harry Saier before him) for many years. I can't say enough nice things about Hudson. The catalog is a labor of love. I always find something interesting within it, and I look forward to receiving one each spring. I have never found these fine seed folk to be anything other than helpful and congenial whenever I've ordered from them. I love that they offer so many options for payment, and that the privacy of their patrons is important to them. I imagine I'll be buying seed from Hudson as long as I'm still able to lift a trowel.
Positive ewait
Zimmerman, MN
April 17, 2015
Second time ordering from him, and both times positive. He has a good variety of seeds that are hard to find in regular seed catalogs, and I've had good luck with starting the seeds.
Positive servant255
Deltona, FL
March 27, 2015
Awesome!! I used the net and Pay-Pal, just a couple of days ago and my seeds are on the way!!..so easy!! I look for the catalog every year, it's my Bible of seeds..so informative and fun to read! Quality and information is Top notch.. Ten years using their seed with no problems...Now the challenge is on all of us to execute and grow..
Mike C... Florida
Positive sss56
Gastonia, NC
March 3, 2015
This was my first time ordering. I received the seeds quickly and everything was exactly as I ordered. Thanks.
Positive greenthumbler
Ellerslie,
Canada
February 17, 2015
I love this company. Can't say enough good things about them, and it, and their fascinating seeds. They are a pleasure to deal with. Have been ordering from them for twenty-some years, and the most interesting plants in my garden started from their seeds. Wonderful vegetable varieties, and even Ginkgo Biloba... I started a forest of those two years ago and gave away dozens of seedlings. Very generous quantities of seed in each packet, making the exchange rate quite worthwhile. Also their helpful and informative-- even inspiring-- catalogue, which is educational Winter reading here in the North. I sing their praise.
Positive jumpinjo
Marshalltown, IA (Zone 5a)
February 16, 2015
Large variety that includes some hard to find items. Generous amount of seeds and good prices. Good germination also.
Positive primrosepath49
Chicago, IL
December 30, 2014
Wish I'd stumbled across this company before--they have every last arcane species I wanted, including cardoon, huazontle, bronze fennel and tree spinach. Of the varieties I've planted so far, very good germination rates.
Positive AngeloSalvi
Scafati,
Italy
December 12, 2014
I have found what I needed and the mailing is been very fast to be a long distance! I will sure contact them in future for other seeds cause their seeds-bank is really complete!
Positive PracticalAg
Raleigh, NC (Zone 8a)
December 9, 2014
I have used JL for 6 years now, and I keep coming back due to price, viability, and speed. Whoever is running it is honest with refunds and I have had excellent luck with virtually everything that I have purchased. I don't leave reviews often, but I stand behind this company. It is well worth the "effort" to use PayPal.

Thanks!
Positive guptaas
EAST PATCHOGUE, NY
November 5, 2014
I found a larger selection of seeds here than anywhere else. The website has no frills but the information is very specific and useful. The ordering process is unusual but smooth using Paypal. The order mailed out in a day. Going by other commentators, if I don't succeed in germinating these seeds, it is likely going to be some error on my part.
Positive helenahkh
Gautier, MS
October 15, 2014
Great company to get seeds of rare plants, fast dependable service. Thank you.
Positive beesberet
Maywood, CA
August 21, 2014
I came across one of their catalogues from the 80s and realized I hadn't ordered in years. So glad I did because the selection is even more extensive, the germination rates remain excellent, and prices/service can't be beat. So glad they're still around for those ethnobotanical treasures.
Positive skykik16
Bangkok,
Thailand
August 21, 2014
All seeds arrived. Very fresh seeds.
Fast service.
Positive CLScott
Calgary,
Canada
August 11, 2014
A good place to order seeds. There are never back orders, and rarely do they run out of seeds. Orders are shipped in a timely fashion. This is definitely one of the best places to order seeds.
Positive desertbluegrass
TERLINGUA, TX
August 5, 2014
I don't know how I didn't know about J.L. Hudson/Seedsman before now but I found it. What a great website and place to go to if one needs seeds or what it takes to propagate said seeds. I ordered several seeds from about ten different plants that I was searching for and they arrived this afternoon in the mail. Great personable service! He emailed me to inform me that the seeds were on their way to me. I will be ordering more seeds from them in the very near future. I did mention that I was looking for some seeds that he did not have listed at which point he promptly emailed me that he did not have them but gave me several leads or resources to look into that might have them. This is the place to come to if you are tired of looking in the usual commercial seed and plant companies and seeing all the usual suspects for sale except for the unusual ones that you happen to be looking for.
Positive floria
Athens, GA (Zone 8a)
June 11, 2014
The first time I ordered from JL Hudson Seedsman I was very pleased with the whole experience. Their choice is amazing; the catalog is both fun and instructive. The seeds arrived in 3 days; email communication was without fault; their prices are hard to beat. Admittedly, I only ordered seeds that are relatively easy to germinate, as my skills are not quite up to par. However, everything I ordered so far has germinated without problems (following their instructions) and in a large proportion (I did not really count hundreds of directly-seeded plants). This made me place another order recently and so far I had the same excellent experience. I recommend this company wholeheartedly; I will post again when some of the more difficult seeds ordered this time have sprouted.
Positive badgerBuddy
Grantsburg, WI
April 18, 2014
This year was my first time ordering from J.L. Hudson, Seedman. I followed the instructions, for mail order(listed on their website). Everything went smoothly.

My order was rather large, ~8 lbs of various edible plants. All the seed was clean, well packaged, and well marked. I ordered in February, before the flax seed was in stock. They shipped the bulk of my order, with a note, saying the flax would be approximately a week behind. Like clockwork, the flax showed up a week later. They also followed up, to make sure the seeds arrived safely. Though I can't comment on germination or yield, I am very happy with the looks of the seeds, and customer service I received.
Positive 1stripes1
portland,
United States
April 7, 2014
The company has a very informative website with a wonderful seed collection. Enjoyed the simplicity of ordering and paying by email. Even with an email glitch on my side the day I ordered, the order was handled promptly without any problems. Received the seeds within a week of ordering and am thrilled.
This will be my first choice for seeds in the future.
Positive lineace
rural Hughesville, MO (Zone 5b)
April 1, 2014
J.L. Hudson's website has an easy to use search engine, a terrific on-line catalog, great customer service and wonderful delivery. Their printed catalog contains detailed information for reference to individual seed requirements.. Totally impressed with email updates on shipment and delivery details.
Positive obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA
March 10, 2014
So many unusual seeds to choose from. I placed two orders. Great communication, very fast delivery. Wonderful seeds!!!!

I am so happy to have found this seed source, they have so many seeds I had searched for, and could only find from vendors in the UK...
Positive adlapointe
March 10, 2014
I ordered Korean Pine from them and they shipped really fast even though I am in Canada.
Positive chumort
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
Posted on June 16, 2012, updated March 10, 2014
I found this seller thanks to this website. It's quite amazing the variety of seeds they have at great prices. I couldn't wait and placed my first order after only making it through the "E" section of their catalog. The seeds arrived promptly. Can't wait to hit the rest of the alphabet.
On March 10th, 2014, chumort added the following:

JL Hudson remains my favorite place to buy seed. I tell any gardener I know to check out their catalogue. This year, once again, my order arrived quickly and the seeds all have had amazing germination rates. Also my cosmos and dahlia seeds began sprouting within two days. All this and the variety they offer assures that they have something for everyone.
Positive gardenaddict1
Protem, MO (Zone 6b)
March 9, 2014
I have ordered from JLHudsonseeds for a number of years and always a positive experience great place to find native plants from everywhere prices are great but you should order early as rare seeds can be out of stock early. Information about plants and germination requirements are superior to most. I plan to always be a loyal customer.
Positive gardensoiree
San Diego, CA
February 13, 2014
J.L. Hudson's selection is incredible; it's so unique that there are items that I haven't seen available elsewhere. While you must slow down, mail your order in, and wait…it is well worth the wait. Pay pal is an option but to really have the J.L. Hudson experience you should relax, make your selections, fill out the form, and pop it in the mail. It took me longer than I expected to make the final decisions but the website allows you to check if something is out of stock, which is helpful. Plus, I didn't have to order from 2 or 3 other places, J.L. Hudson had items that are much higher priced elsewhere or unavailable until Fall.

I mailed my order in on 4 Feb and received my order on 13 Feb. All seed packets were nicely packaged; which in fact took me back to what it would have been order from them in 1911. No frills, just seeds in a packet.

The packets are smaller than many but wow are there plenty of seeds! Enough to share! I ordered bulblets and they were packaged in a larger packet and clearly marked perishable. The bulblet count was high enough to make up for some of the super small ones and such. And a copy of the catalog to share too! Talk about terrific!

Great experience so far and I will update as the season gets on.

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.