The scoop on 'Dan's Dahlias'

Dan's Dahlias

994 South Bank Road
Oakville, Washington 98568 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Comments:

Positive dmshrike
Salem, NH
May 3, 2013
my 11 tubers order came in about 2 weeks before my areas frost free date.
tubers looked very healthy plus they gave me 2 free tubers with my order i didn't expect. I would recommend.
Positive MaryTeresa
Grand Junction, CO
May 8, 2010
I was a bit disappointed that shipping seemed late to me (I got them the last week in April in Zone 7A). But they were the biggest, fattest dahlia tubers that I've ever seen! Also they sent a cute freebie tuber (and my order was small). A mere eight days after planting, and one plant is already peeping up out of the ground. I can't wait to see the blooms and am confident, given the quality of the tubers, that they'll be beautiful. :)
Positive RandyandVickie
Aberdeen, WA
November 11, 2008
I've had the joy of buying Dan's Dahlia's for the past several years. They are fabulous and oh so beautiful! I love giving bouquets away! Teh service and tubers are both excellent. We've had the pleasure of meting Dan at he NW homeshow and farmers market in Olympia.
Best of all, we went to the dalhia farm and were overwhelmed with the incredible selection and magnificent beauty of such a vast variety of gorgeous dahlias. Our only sadness came when we realized we forgot our camera. We'll be back...with our camera and more money!
Positive greathorse
Gladwin, MI (Zone 5a)
May 1, 2008
the tubers i recieved in the mail today were in excellent condition, clearly marked and all with eyes. they even threw in a bonus!!! yea!! will definately order from them again.
Positive Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA (Zone 5b)
April 3, 2008
I ordered from Dan's Dahlias this year, first time ordering from them. Didn't realize that I would only get fat tubers, that are very healthy mind you, I'm just used to getting the "clumped" tubers that you usually buy from retail outlets. The tubers themselves are very large, and very plump and health. My order was short by one, and the "freebies" were mistakenly left out of the shipment...lol. I did phone the company, and the owner called me back within about 2-3 hours. We actually made a joke about it, and the freebie dahlias along with the one from the original order will be sent out shortly.
So, customer satisfaction, and care: Superb!
Tuber size: Great, and healthy!
I will definitely be ordering from them again!
Positive nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
March 28, 2008
I'm pretty much a Dahlia newbie/ignoramus, but my order was correct, sent when I requested it, clearly labeled, and the tubers all felt nice and turgid (not rotted or dessicated). The tubers are mostly smallish, but I guess that's the way they usually are from specialty Dahlia suppliers, and I've had smaller tubers grow well the one time I tried Dahlias before.
Positive sudhira
Aptos, CA
April 21, 2007
Always a winner, thanks. Consistanly fat happy tubers with eyes. All marked visibly, and always a bonus put in!
Positive ashleysgrammie
Shelton, WA
April 8, 2007
I ordered bulbs from Dan's last fall. They arrived this last week for planting with instructions and numbers stamped on them so I know what I have purchased. They match my order. He also threw in a freebie which I am excited to see what it turns out to be. Dan's is not far from my home and their fields are wonderful to walk through in late summer. If you get a chance, you should take a drive, visit and see the dahlia's in bloom.
Positive bigcityal
Menasha, WI (Zone 5a)
May 21, 2006
I am happy with my order of tubers from Dan. They were easy to buy online, well shipped, and they all sprouted well.
Positive Poochella
Issaquah, WA (Zone 7a)
December 2, 2005
I will report that I bought several tubers from Dan's Dahlias at the NW Flower and Garden show this year. All grew true to name and were healthy looking tubers.

My 'neutral' rating comes from some reservation I had in that many of the tubers shown at the Flower and Garden Show were of questionable quality with lots of shrivelling, no eyes (not just eyes not showing which wouldn't be unusual in February, but when I ASKED the stand attendant to show me the eyes, he hustled the several packages of tubers I was asking about behind the display out of the public area and had no real answers for me.) So while I would consider ordering or dealing with this supplier again, I will do so with hesitation.
On March 4th, 2006, Poochella changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Upgrading to positive with confidence. After another visit to Dan's Dahlias at the NW Flower and Garden Show this year, I want to encourage others that the vast array of stock looked very healthy indeed. Dan and his staff are very helpful and knowledgeable with all things pertaining to dahlias. Great prices too.

I would order from Dan's again in a second, if I had any more room in my garden!
On May 5th, 2006, Poochella added the following:

Wonderful service after a tuber rotted. That happens- to all dahlia lovers lament. Dan's offered prompt replacement, courteous correspondence, and I highly recommend this grower yet again.
On April 24th, 2007, Poochella added the following:

2007: another fine shipment of quality tubers arrived from Dan's. Excellent quality, labelling, and correspondence. Very reliable vendor.
Positive riosamba
Marlboro, NJ
August 27, 2004
I have ordered some dahlias from Dan's and found the company to be very customer friendly and responsive. I will leave feedback next spring when I receive the tubers and growth begins.
Neutral hopflower
Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9a)
April 9, 2004
Last year bright and early I ordered some dahlias from what I thought to be a reliable, courteous vendor. Well.. reliable they might be, but courteous was borderline. Because of our early heat spell in California, I was a little concerned as I am not an experienced (well, very experienced) dahlia grower, and this was only my third season growing them. The first one brought adequate results, but the second year was terrific. I won a Best Section and First Prize at one of our local fairs and was eager to grow and learn more. I ordered a couple of ball dahlias in some luscious colours and awaited the season to come to plant the tubers. When the season arrived early as I mentioned, I thought I might have to act fast, so I emailed the company to ask for advice on what I should do, or whether I really had a need to worry. I also asked to check on the order to see whether I should ask to get it a bit early due to the surprise weather. What I got was a terse and a little cocky note back telling me that they were getting ready for the show in San Francisco and would not really "be packing my order". They would deal with it when they got back, presumably at the regular time to ship.

I don't think I deserved the attitude that I was being somewhat demanding when I most definitely was not. In fact, I asked whether I should be worried; and just needed a bit of reassurance or advice if I had a need to be concerned. A simple, "no, you don't have anything to worry about" ,or "yes, I can see why you might think you would want to plant early" would have sufficed.

Because of this attitude, I will not be reordering from the company. They have some fine choices, but I am not willing to be mistreated again because I don't quite know what to do and am a little inexperienced. I do not feel that that is a kind or respectful way to deal with customers.
Positive beck02
Newalla, OK
April 2, 2004
Received the Dahlia order. All looked good overall. The bulbs were stamped with a number that corresponded to the catalog number (I think), so I'm not really sure what I ended up with as I just stuck them in the ground without trying to compare all the numbers. Some are starting to sprout above the ground & I'm sure the rest will follow.
Neutral PK
March 20, 2003
I received my order today of 6 different dinnerplate dahlias and was surprized at how small the tubers were... but after reading the instructions it was explained how any size tuber will produce a full size plant as long as it has an eye. So I'm hoping for some beauties. They did throw in an extra different one for free.