The scoop on 'Woodlanders Inc.'

Woodlanders Inc.

1128 Colleton Avenue
Aiken, South Carolina 29801 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $4 US/$6 elsewhere

Visit Woodlanders Inc. at:

Company Comment, posted on October 17, 2002:
Woodlander's is a rare plant nursery offering a worldwide clientele a selection of more than 1,000 kinds of rare and hard-to-find plants including many native species and selections, plus many new introductions not available elsewhere.

Our major categories include trees and shrubs, vines, perennials, palms, and subtropicals.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral RedClay007
Richmond, VA (Zone 7a)
March 31, 2014
Positive: Woodlander's has a great selection of rare plants, and since that's what I like to grow, I've ordered from them a few times.

Negative: The plants that I have received are often smaller than those that I get from other mail-order sources, sometimes pathetically small, but otherwise viable.

Therefore I give them a neutral rating. I'd use this nursery basically as a source of genetic stock, but be prepared to grow their plants up to size in pots before transplanting into the yard.
Neutral MikeNJ
Ashland, NJ
December 8, 2013
Great woody plant selection at reasonable prices. I've found the plant quality to be fair to good.
Positive esedgwick
Tallahassee, FL
April 22, 2013
Excellent selection. I ordered around a dozen plants, including various woodland wildflowers, camellias, and shrubs. The customer service was good (i.e. order confirmation was prompt and an e-mail was responded to within 24 hours). Everything came true to description. Plants were "balled" (plants removed from pots, the loose soil shaken out and the roots and remaining soil tightly bundled in plastic bags) and packed in newsprint, which I wasn't expecting. On second reading, this is mentioned on their website, but could be noted more prominently. They had nice root systems, however, and only one plant seems to have suffered any shipping/transplant shock (a Camellia euryoides).

Positive gregr18
Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b)
May 22, 2012
I really like this nursery. The plants I've received have been really nice, and their prices are attractive, even with plants that are quite rare and often command a greater premium.

I'm a northern gardener, so I have mixed feelings about the shipping policy. On the whole, though, I think their decision to limit shipping to times when the stock is dormant or near dormant is the best thing for the for the plants that they grow. I've ordered about 15-20 plants from them, and with some special protection from the weather, they have all broken bud and flourished in the garden.

Inexperienced gardeners might want to do some research before ordering from Woodlanders, but intermediate to advanced gardeners, I think, will be very pleased.
Neutral dennyboy34
Yonkers, NY
April 3, 2012
Ordered a "First Lady" Flowering Cherry Tree from Woodlanders. I would have to agree with previous reviewers. Although I received well-packaged plants in good shape within a week of ordering, the "1 gal." size tree was clearly grown in a much smaller container than that. It also appeared the original leader was pruned, causing growth to continue as an offshoot. This impacts on growing in true upright form. Based on my experience and the experience of others, it appears there is an adverse trend with this mechant in this area.
Positive Frank1965
Shreveport, LA
March 8, 2012
I have ordered many times over the years and have not had one bad experience. Nice to have somewhere that has unusual and rare plants that work in my part of the country. The plants are always nice and packaged very well. I'm sure I'll be ordering many more times.
Neutral holly_grower
Bear, DE
March 2, 2012
I really do appreciate this nursery's inventory of rare and unusual plants, and overall I consider their prices to be fair given the nature of their offerings. I just received my order and received well-packaged plants in good shape. I must agree with PhillyLover's comments, however - the "1 gal." size plants were clearly grown in much smaller containers than that. The plants were of large caliper given the size of their root masses, and the tops had been severely pruned about a year ago. Had I planned on growing these for an upright form, I would have been disappointed that they no longer had their original leaders. One other point to note - this is a southern nursery which ships in late winter to ensure plants are still dormant on arrival. If you live in a colder climate, be sure you have a place to keep your shipment until it's time for planting.
Negative PhillyLover
Philadelphia, PA
March 1, 2012
Posted on April 3, 2010, updated March 1, 2012
Order was shipped to me quickly.

Overall the plants appeared to be in good shape and packaged well for shipping. However, the "1 gallon-sized" plants were more qt-sized or slightly larger sized plants.
On March 1st, 2012, PhillyLover changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Placed a small order with Woodlanders in February 2012.

Order shipped quickly and boxing was good.

However one of the broadleaf evergreen plants was poor quality. Excessively tall relative to the very few leaves on it and main stem not straight due to pruning a year or two ago. Looks like it was a left over hanging out in the back of the nursery.

Their prices are inexpensive but I'd rather pay more for top quality. Don't think I will order from them again.
Positive Rollandh
Wilmington, NC
February 29, 2012
I was pleased with my order of six deciduous native shrubbs: they arrived well-packed, within a week of order with their one-gallon root-ball wrapped in a plastic bag, their stalk, free of leaves, unwrapped but undamaged, layered with newspaper. I think I remember the one plant with leaves, an itea, might have been on the top. Anyway, the plants were easy to extract from the box and all transplanted within a day and appear to be well on their way to re-establishing in my yard. I would consider using them again for these types of plants as the cost is very reasonable ($12.00 per). And their selection is good. The nursery is also in the general agricultural zone as my area, so I feel the plants will feel at home once they are put in the ground. I have now ordered within the last six months six small trees, and sixteen native deciduous shrubbs from six different online nurseries listed in Dave's Garden and all having excellent to well-respected reputations and located within about a 500 mile radius from where I live and I can say I am very happy with all purchases and will be very curious to see how the plants do in my yard. I now feel that I can order with confidence the plants I want from the nursery that gives the best price for that type and size of plant and that it will arrive quickly and in good shape.
Positive jhprince
Norfolk, VA
December 24, 2011
Woodlanders is awesome and I consider Bob McCartney a personal friend. You simply have to understand a little about plants before you purchase them. This is one of my top 3 favorite sources for hard to find Southern species. John H Prince, Norfolk,Va , Prince Landscapes, LLC
Positive dave12122
East Haddam, CT
October 14, 2010
My first order to Woodlanders consisted of 2 plants, Ceratostigma willmottianum and Pinus palustris. Both were sent the week I requested and were sizable considering their relatively low price. Based on this positive experience, I would order from Woodlanders again!
Negative mtnqueen
Ellijay, GA
April 1, 2010
I too had a very negative experience with the owner of this place. He has a very sharp mouth and nasty attitude. Not only that, the plants he sent me were pitiful. I have enjoyed shopping elsewhere and receiving fine plants -- no need to shop with them.
Negative chilmarkgardener
Chilmark, MA
April 1, 2010
They have a good selection, but terrible customer relations. A couple times I have tried to order in early spring, close to their unusually strict March 31 cutoff date, and even though I have been within that time frame, have been denied. This last time they even accepted the order, then emailed me back denying the order saying they just didn't have time. When I expressed my frustration with their lack of an unclear ordering deadline, I got a reply from the owner, Robert McCartney, and I quote: "We hate to loose (sp) a customer but one less Massachusetts yankee with attitude is not likely to make me loose (sp) any sleep."
Positive swiftness
Portales, NM
November 25, 2009
My plants arrived in a timely manner in lovely condition. I was surprised at how large they were! This was a no-drama, no-suprises transaction. I received exactly what I ordered. I will order again with no reservation.
Positive StellysPapa
Dothan, AL (Zone 8a)
May 17, 2009
I have ordered a lot of new plants this year, and I got some of them from Woodlanders. I always like to get plants that are rare and unsual. Everything I got from this nursery are all growing well and the ones that suppose to bloom, have bloomed. I am pleased with them and will order again from them.
Positive massnorth
Topsfield, MA (Zone 6a)
April 6, 2009
Overall great experience.

Called March 25 to inquire about Baccharis halimifolia -- wanted to ask availability, as their shipping season was ending; size; and double-check plants were female, as these are the producers of seeds, which are the plant's primary ornamental value.

Gentleman on the phone was very polite and clearly knowledgeable about this obscure plant.

I ordered the plant, it arrived within a week in great shape and was a good size at over 2 ft. tall.

Woodlanders' web site is great, and they carry a lot of hard-to-find natives, a HUGE plus in my opinion. Would definitely order again.
Positive NADoc
Augusta, GA
February 10, 2009
I was looking for a variegated Gardenia and was very happy to find that a local nursery sold them. After visiting Woodlanders, I was overwhelmed by the awesome variety of unique plants they sell.

What a great place!!!
Positive charflet
Charlotte, NC
April 11, 2008
I have really wanted to go more "native" in my yard/garden, but there just aren't any good sources in my city. I thought it would be best to look for a native plant source in my planting zone. I looked at several websites and was amazed at the large selection at Woodlanders. Though I was reluctant to order given the expense and the fact that I have never had success with mail order plants, I decided to try again. The dormant plants arrived at the right planting time, well packed, in great shape, better than I expected and with excellent roots. It is now a month later and they are coming out and look like they are going to do well.
Positive ben773
Waukegan, IL
March 28, 2008
Plants arrived in good condition and of the expected size or better. The company was easy to deal with and respond to e-mail promptly. Will order from them again in a heartbeat.
Positive gg123456
Brooklyn, NY
March 21, 2008
Placed an order on line but then cancelled 1 of the 5 plants I ordered. Received prompt email confirming the cancelled plant. Received the plants in beautiful condition 4 days after placing order. Very happy with size and condition of plant
Positive ecrane3
Dublin, CA (Zone 9a)
January 7, 2008
It's been a little while since I ordered from them, but somehow I managed to forget to write a review! I've placed 2 orders with them, one was either in fall '06 or spring '07 and the other about a year earlier, and I was very happy with the plants on both occasions. They have some rare plants that I hadn't seen anywhere else and I will definitely continue to browse their site and won't hesitate to order from them again.
Positive Spookycharles
Langley, WA (Zone 8b)
December 14, 2007
After having my heart set on a Quercus suber and being unable to find this variety available elsewhere I was delighted to find that Woodlanders not only supplied this variety but that they did so at a more than reasonable price.

They shipped promptly and the tree arrived well packaged. It was large enough to only barely fit in the box but they positioned it so that it still fit without pruning the leader back, which I greatly appreciate.

It arrived in perfect condition with moist roots and very healthy leaves. While I was initially concerned about ordering an evergreen from a warmer area so late in the season itís a gorgeous little tree that has so far weathered the winter weather well.

Many thanks to Woodlanders for offering this wonderful and hard to find variety.
Negative Carol023
Broomall, PA
October 25, 2007
After receiving Woodlanders' post card by mail announcing the on-line catalog, I ordered through their site on Sept. 5, 2007. A reply came in the same date from info@Woodlanders.net thanking me for my order. A charge of $ 197 appeared Sept. 26th on my credit card statement. Shipping was to begin on Oct. 1st.

On Oct. 16, 2007 I emailed Woodlanders about the shipping date since nothing had arrived. The next day I received a reply that " bad news", I would not be receiving any plants. Their customers on site picked up plants and they ran out of stock of all items I had ordered!

To date, Oct. 25th, I have not received a credit to my charges or a refund and there was no attempt made to retain me as a customer. It appears as though Woodlanders does not value or want mail-order customers.
Positive TomMcC
Falls Church, VA
October 17, 2007
I first ordered from Woodlanders in Nov., 2006. I ordered a second time from them in Oct., 2007. New owners took over this nursery sometime in 2007, but they had previously worked at the nursery. The new owners have raised prices. The plants arrived in good health before and after the ownership changed. I would recommend this nursery.
Positive Cretaceous
El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b)
December 14, 2006
I recently (12/3) ordered six ferns from Woodlanders. The plants were well priced and arrived today in good shape.

(I would have appreciated an e-mail letting me know that they had shipped).
Positive plant_collector
Oak Ridge, TN
October 19, 2006
I have ordered plants from Woodlander's for many years. The plants I have received have all been good size for the price (NOT true from all mail order nurseries I have patronized) and were also shipped promptly.
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
October 3, 2006
I ordered 15-20 plants and made arrangements to pick them up at the nursery. The plants that they selected were in good condition, and, considering the rarity of them, a good value. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful.
Positive jkbounds
Gulfport, MS
November 30, 2004
I've now ordered from Woodlanders every year for 5 years without a single bad experience. Have all survived and thrived? Of course not; that's par for the course when dealing with the hard-to-find natives and exotics that Woodlanders specializes in. But every plant I've ordered has arrived in good condition, and every interaction I've had with the folks at Woodlanders --- whether by phone or email, has been friendly and professional. Receiving a package from Woodlanders is the closest thing to Christmas for the serious plant geek.
Negative smarkham
Adams Run, SC
September 17, 2004
I had mailed them a check for their catalog and was told I would recieve it in time for the next planting season. I never got it. They never responded to my e-mail about this problem and I have yet to recieve a catalog.
Positive mcr83290
March 18, 2004
Plants arrived in great condition. They handled a last-week change in my order and the ship date via e-mail with no problems. Will order from them again in the fall.
Positive davidrt28
Columbia, MD (Zone 7a)
October 31, 2003
I have ordered from this nursery since the early 1990s. I have always been pleased with the quality of the plants. This is not a place for amateur gardeners to order from. If other people have had problems with the descriptions or hardiness information given for some plant, they should check a reference book before ordering. Their hardiness ratings are generally accurate but no specialist nursery should be held to a standard of perfection in this area. Some kinds of plants, like ferns and leguminous shrubs, are hard to establish. In this case it is not always the nursery's fault if a plant fails.
If there is one thing I could fault them for, I wish they used their website to update what is sold out, since they do not operate on a reservation system - what is available is shipped at the time you request shipment.
Negative Commonsense
Rock Hill, SC (Zone 7b)
October 21, 2003
I ordered a Woodlanders catalog, then sat back and waited. The catalog didn't come, and their shipping season was beginning. I called them and they said they had mailed the catalogs out the week before. I was told that if I didn't get it, I should call back in a week.

I called back a week later and I was told my catalog should be coming "any day now."

I called again a week later and I was told the same thing.

Finally I called them and asked for a refund of the catalog price. I told them that while I really had wanted to order from them (they are pretty close to me, for one thing - but too far to drive easily) I now had no confidence in them. I told them that if they couldn't even get a catalog to me, I had no faith in their ability to send plants.

A refund check for the catalog arrived. Then the catalog itself arrived. I was still eager to look at it, because it was very thick and yummy-looking. But when I read the plant descriptions, I was disappointed. Some of the descriptions talk about height and width of plant, what conditions it likes, etc. But most of the descriptions are just wordy nothings, talking about who brought the plant to their attention, etc. The catalog is full of typos and misspellings. All in all, these people just didn't strike me as being very professional.
Positive vannmarie
Cordova, MD
October 16, 2003
This is the second time I have ordered from Woodlander's. When I can't find something anywhere else, I can usually get it from Woodlander's. All plants I received arrived in good condition. This fall I sent my order in the day after I received the catalog, and I think my plants were much bigger than in my late-season order last spring. Also, I was able to get everything I ordered. But, in either case, the plants were healthy when they arrived.
Positive jrozier
Charleston, SC
March 18, 2003
I've made many purchases from Woodlanders - I've always been happy with the plants and the people I've dealt with.
Negative Bella_SC
February 12, 2003
I placed a large order with Woodlander's last March. All the plants arrived in good condition except two. When I called I was told that they could not send replacements at that point since they were at the end of their shipping period. They ship from September through March. I said that was fine and to ship the replacements next March. They sent them in January with no prior notification and unfortunately I was away from home. When I called to ask them to send another replacement since it was their mistake they refused. When I asked why Bob McCartney, who I believe is the owner said "because I don't feel like it".
Positive JohnBoggan
December 12, 2002
Woodlander's prices are rock-bottom and they have many, many unusual plants that are not listed anywhere else, or listed for a heckuva lot more money! Every order I have received from them arrived exactly when I requested, and the plants have always been good-sized and healthy. Definitely one of the all-time best mail-order nurseries I have dealt with, and I've ordered from lots of good companies! My only quibble is that they have a pretty minimal website, and the only way to find out what they have is to order their catalog (which is not free).
Positive Canescens
May 26, 2002
Wow, what a selection. A catalog that is full of new plant ideas, especially native materials indigenous to the SE United States. Have ordered from their remarkable two acre nursery for over twenty years. Small plants that do well. Be advised, - order as soon as possible in the Fall, since their most desirable plants are packaged in order of request. Very reasonably priced, packaged well, and delivered quickly.
Neutral sunfest
West Palm Beach, FL
May 15, 2002
I want to like this nursery because of their great selection and emphasis on native plants for the southeast. However, of the two things I ordered this spring, the first was 'out of stock' despite the fact that I called ahead to be sure they had it and then rushed my order in. The second plant was very small upon arrival and died soon after.
On November 3rd, 2002, sunfest added the following:

I ordered more plants this fall. By ordering early I got what I wanted, and the plants arrived quickly. The plants were mostly of good size. One serious concern, however, is that in each case the root package was quite small, seemingly disproportionately small compared to the top. The roots were simply wrapped in small plastic bags held together by rubber bands. In one case the root ball seemed dry. Perhaps this practice works; time will tell. Due to the small size of the root package, I was afraid to plant directly into the ground, so I potted the new plants to let more roots develop.
Negative ronniewhaygood
February 1, 2002
Wish I could share the excitement about Woodlanders. After reading an article in Southern Living a couple of autumns ago, we purchased ferns listed for growth in Zones 6-10 from Woodlanders of Aiken, S.C., much to our chagrin. We experienced 70 percent mortality. When communicating with Mr. McCartney, he said the plants were for the Deep South (Montgomery southward, which I have in writing). Yet his catalog still clearly states that Southern Shield Ferns and Florida Shield Ferns grow in Zones 6 - 10. I have contacted them two years running about this misrepresentation, yet to no avail. He said I didn't know how to grow plants and refused to discuss the issue of growth zones as stated in their catalog. We have many plants from various nurseries with no problems.
Positive blueschiz
Landenberg, PA (Zone 6b)
January 14, 2002
Lot's of cool stuff you can't find anywhere else! Plants arrive in great condition.