The scoop on 'Hazzard's Greenhouse'

Hazzard's Greenhouse

Deford, Michigan 48729 (United States)

This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Comments:

Positive icebird28
Coppell, TX (Zone 8a)
November 23, 2013
This was my first order from Hazzard's. I had found an uncommon variety of Stock here in the U.S. Couldn't believe the selection of seeds and the prices. You get many more seeds than pricier more well known seed retailers. Received the seeds today and I was very impressed. Each packet was a sealed foil type and the seeds were packed inside small glassine envelopes. No more trying to pick the seeds out that are stuck in the crack of the envelope or losing them. This seems to be a mom and pop type operation, who I prefer to give my money too. Way to go Hazzard's, will be ordering from you again!.
Neutral BrendaVR
Cambridge, ON (Zone 6a)
November 2, 2013
This could almost had been a positive. The only reason it is a neutral instead is the ONE plant I came to them for that I had trouble finding elsewhere was listed on the website as in stock and so I put it in my order, the rest ordered were nice to haves and things I wanted but likely could have gotten anywhere. Four days after checkout and payment I received a refund for the item that was my 'must have' hard to find as it was out of stock and my other items shipped. I was very disappointed that my one 'must have' was no longer in the order but there was no way they could have known that was the one most important in my order...although I would have appreciated an notice before the order was completed that something I had expected in stock turned out not to be. Communication and an option to postpone or cancel the order would have been great but the order had already been shipped so not much I could do. I wouldn't have minded waiting till the next season if I could have got the one 'must have'.

The rest of the order arrived timely and safe, and most germinate well, I think only one packet had very poor germination but I am just a home gardener so I will be fine with the few that did germinate. All the other seedlings are doing well and growing great.
Positive bluespiral
(Zone 7a)
December 15, 2011
I ordered some hybrid seeds belonging to the genus Scabiosa, and they were so different from one of the parents I was used to sowing, that I thought there might be a mistake. Well, long story short, a friend had been keeping photos of all species and cultivars belonging to Scabiosa that he had sown, and he sent me a comparison photo, which proved that the seed sent to me by Hazzard's was most likely true. Joyce was exceedingly patient and kind with me throughout the whole ordeal of my confusion that I put her through - during the Christmas season, no less. I highly recommend doing business with this company, and it's wonderful to have a source of bulk, unusual seeds at such reasonable prices.
Positive BlakeInCanada
Kitchener
Canada (Zone 5a)
November 18, 2011
I ordered a couple of seeds from Hazzards.
All was good, no problems, though I didn't like the bible quotes written on everything.
Positive goldy
Fort Collins, CO
November 1, 2011
I have been ordering seeds from Hazzards for many years. The quality of the seeds is always excellent in germination and growth. The packaging is high quality.They have a large selection of heirloom seeds along with some extremely hard to find varieties. As a commercial organic grower I know I can depend on Hazzards seeds. Joyce, the owner, is a fantastic person to deal with. They have good old fashioned customer service!

Judi B in Colorado
Positive abby663
Philadelphia, PA
August 4, 2011
Posted on August 3, 2011, updated August 4, 2011
Posted on August 2, 2011, updated August 3, 2011
I would never order from this company. I order $40 worth of plants half were dead and the other half is trying to survive. Order was mailed without my consent to the address on a previous order a year ago, which is 30 minutes from my new address(both billing and shipping address on order were to my new house). I contacted Joyce and received no response. After 4 days of trying to work with the plants I emailed a second time and her response was:you should have contacted me sooner to see what I could have done and apologized for sending the order to the wrong place. I have never had a problem with any other company and I had used them previously for seeds which I was more than happy about. I wish I could post the pictures of the plants they sent me and prevent others from losing their money as well. they should be ashamed of themselves for selling crap like that. they kept my $40 and didn't offer any solution.
On August 3rd, 2011, abby663 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

After writing this review I received an email saying that I would be refunded for the money lost. I will update this once the refund has been received.
On August 4th, 2011, abby663 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I want to change my rating because they have refunded my payment. Will buy my plants locally from now on and avoid the trouble. I still recommend them for seeds.
Positive YvonneMal
Susquehanna, PA
June 4, 2010
Posted on May 19, 2010, updated June 4, 2010
Posted on May 2, 2010, updated May 19, 2010
Ordered a nice batch of plants from Hazzard. Fast shipping with Priority Mail. Good/just great packaging... not one broken stem or leaf. Nice moisture in the bags. Another pleasing purchase... 2 out of 3 for this year... I consider myself ahead of the game. So pleased, I went back and purchased some seeds from there.

Now awaiting my seeds with hope that some will grow. Fingers crossed.
On May 19th, 2010, YvonneMal added the following:

Seeds from my 2nd order germinated nicely. I know with Hazzard's I get way more than I need, only, the price is way less than the smaller amt from other places. Thanks again.

Your service encourages repeat customers.
On June 4th, 2010, YvonneMal added the following:

Hazzard's seeds germinate nicely and customer service is forth coming... someone actually answers the phone (cannot beat that). Shipping cost is reasonable also.
Positive Dotmacd
Simi Valley, CA
February 5, 2010
I ordered a bucket load of seeds for my veggie garden. I think almost $150.00 worth.
All the seeds I planted were very productive. My shipment arrived earlier than I expected.
The packages are sealed as to prevent moisture from getting inside and ruining them.
I found this out the hard way. I stored my leftover seeds in a plastic bucket with a snap lid. Somehow moisture got in and they got moldy.
The Hazzard seed packs were the only ones I didn't have to throw away. I am going to order more this season.
Positive ivan_dg
Belgrade
Serbia
October 1, 2009
I ordered 100 seeds of philodendron selloum from Hazzard's Greenhouse and after one week half of them germinated. I've been trying to germinate these seeds from other vendors several times, but had no success at all.
Positive davis1676
Disputanta, VA (Zone 7a)
August 8, 2009
I recently received a huge order of plants. The prices were super, the plants were large & healthy & communication was great! Will definitely do business with them again. thanks
Positive WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY (Zone 6a)
March 4, 2009
Ordered 11 different seed packs through Hazzard's Wholesale Seeds website in early January 2009.

Seeds arrived pronto.

Immediately started a germination rate test on a small handful of each type of seed. VERY good germination rate on everything after one week but the heliotrope.

However! after the heliotrope hadn't sprouted by Feb. 22 (though they can take up to three months?) I started some more folded in a damp paper towel inside a ziplock baggie. Within 4 days there was germination!

Sometimes things simply want to be started just so, I guess!

Will order again.
Positive zubababy
West Jordan, UT
March 3, 2009
I have just placed my third seed order with this company. I love the selection and quantity of the seeds that they have. I have received my seeds quickly, and packed well. I have very good germination rates with their seeds. Thank you!
Positive bromefreak
(JOE) Chicago, IL (Zone 5a)
February 24, 2009
Ordered a few seed orders from them prices are great shipping is fast and germination is FANTASTIC. If you are looking for seeds this IS IT.
Positive ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA (Zone 6a)
September 12, 2008
I ordered 48 delosperma cooperi (ice plants) at a price so low that I couldn't believe the wonderful size and condition of the plants.

These people are so wonderful to deal with.
Positive Kamikid
Thomasville, GA (Zone 8a)
August 14, 2008
I ordered several plants from this company on Aug. 4, my payment was accepted on Aug. 8 and today I received my plants. They were beautifully packed, fresh looking and ready to put into pots or the ground. There were notes on the packing label answering questions I had asked. I would order again from this company without hesitation. Elaine
Positive avianut
Omaha, NE (Zone 5a)
July 31, 2008
I've ordered twice from this company, and I will continue to do so! The first time I just ordered seeds, a safe purchase, which came quickly and germinated well. The second time I took advantage of a temporary free shipping offer they had and ordered over $100. of plants. This was a LOT of plants, as they were very inexpensive and I wasn't expecting much, but they all are nice sized and very healthy, despite the 90 degree weather we were having when they were shipped! These folks are obviously proud of their product, and it shows in the quality and care taken of even the most inexpensive annual! A great place to do business!
Positive go_cats
Wilmette, IL
July 17, 2008
I just received my first order from Hazzard's Greenhouse. I had a question about the identification of one of the plants, and Joyce responded to my email within an hour (and in the evening, outside of regular business hours). The terrific customer service and very reasonable prices will make me a repeat customer.
Positive hilomark
Homer, NY (Zone 5a)
May 6, 2008
I placed my first order with Hazzard's this spring. I was so impressed that I ended up placing a second order! I found their prices very fair, shipping was quick, I had speedy and good germination, and the resulting plants have been of excellent quality. If you want to grow a larger quantity of a particular plant than is usually provided in a retail seed package, I would highly recommend that you consider Hazzard's.
Positive jojoringer
Joey in Conroe, TX (Zone 8b)
April 26, 2008
I just placed my second seed order with Hazzerd. The first came at sonic speed and was better then expected. On placing my second order I made a mistake when placing the order, resulting on multiple charges to my card. Joyce handled my mistake herself and was very nice about it, even on a Saturday! You just don't see this kind of customer service much now days. I am impressed and will be placing many orders in the future!
Positive suzieq2761
Lambertville, NJ (Zone 6a)
January 11, 2008
I just receive my first order from Hazzard's. They are wonderful people to deal with. Very quick shipping and everything well packaged. Very quick to answer questions.
Positive mattsmom
Tomah, WI
September 15, 2007
Joyce is wonderful! I recieved my third order from her this week & was missing a plant. I emailed her, she responded almost imediately, apologized sincerely, & promised the missing plant would go out right away. Well, sure enough it arrived along with a very nice gift. Hazzard's prices and quality are great. Communication is
top notch. Packaging is always done with great care. I absolutely love this vendor!
Positive dianegravel
Campton, NH
July 28, 2007
This company is superb!!! I ordered 5 digitalis (Foxglove), Giant Shirley, on July 22. By July 27, they were in my mailbox. I've ordered many plants by mail, but these were, by far, the most impressive. Amazing!!! All plants were beautifully packaged, larger than expected, and *very* healthy, not a single spot or blemish on the leaves.

I would DEFINITELY order from them again!
Positive grampapa
Wheatfield, NY (Zone 6a)
April 28, 2007
I ordered some very inexpensive sale plants from Joyce's fall sale last year; some herbs that I overwintered in the house for my herb garden, some house plants, some perennials. I don't know yet about the perennials, but I got much more than my money's worth on the house plants and herbs. So even if none of the perennials survived the winter, I am ahead of the game. I will definitely order again. And I will be looking at seeds also.
Positive starlight1153
Seale, AL (Zone 8b)
March 11, 2007
I love this company!!!!!!!!!!! I have gotten alot of seed and even made some mistakes on my orders, and Joyce has gone through and corrected them for me making sure I got the right stuff.

I have always had excellent germination from the seeds and soon am going to be buying some plants from them.

Positive taramark
(Zone 4a)
August 23, 2006
All of the orders I have placed with Joyce Hazzard's
Greenhouse have produced exceptional plants.
Joyce gives attention to each order.

She has a sale on now, and the plants I received
this morning are the 2 year size.

The packing was immaculate.
Positive sunnyleo
West Baldwin, ME (Zone 5b)
July 14, 2006
I found Hazzards on a computer link, ordered on-line and was amazed how quickly my order arrived. The plants were well packed and very healthy! A+ and a nice personal handwritten note on the invoice. I plan to use this company in the future!
Positive falloons
Sullivan, MO
May 3, 2006
After reading the last post on Hazzard's seeds I had to add my two cents worth. This winter I ordered 100 coleus seeds and 500 impatients. I had MORE than that germinate on both types of seeds. The plants are the hardiest I have raised. I will use Hazzard's again.
Neutral tobee43
groveland, FL (Zone 9b)
May 2, 2006
i purchased 4 packages of seeds from this company. since i have a small greenhouse i'm able to start my seeds in april.

i started hazzard's seeds the exact same time as others with the same germination period. the other seeds from other company's germinated at an approx rate of 98%. those 98% from other companys have moved into nice 3 inch pots and are doing extremely well. however, the carex seeds i puchased from hazzard's were a germination rate of less than 1%. that is 1% of 500 seeds! i think actually it's less than 1% since approx only 3 or 4 of the total of 500 seeds germinated. i'd say that is about as poor as it can get!

in fairness, the other two packages are morning glory which i have not planted as yet. but i'm an extremely disappointed in hazzard's seed's germination rate. i would have paid less for two or three actual plants than to go through all the trouble of planting and sowing 500 seeds for a mere 3-4 weak seedlings, which at this point may not even make it.

never again for me!
On May 18th, 2006, tobee43 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

i'm needing to change my rating as the other seeds all came up....so it's half did and half did nothing. maybe i just got a bad batch of carex...i'm not sure. but the moring glories are all over the place. so in fairness to hazzards i'm still not pleased but i'm not totally disappointed.
Positive carrielamont
Milton, MA (Zone 6a)
November 11, 2005
Lovely selection of many of my favorites, and unbelievably low prices! I placed a big order - I'll follow up when it arrives!
On November 17th, 2005, carrielamont added the following:

My plants arrived, and I needn't have worried. They were lovingly packed in shredded newspaper (just when I needed it for another project!), and carefully labelled, most including identifying tags. Most had great root systems which, I hope, will enable them to withstand the cold and snow to come. (We live near Boston!) I know I was crazy to order perennials in November, and to allow her to ship them USPS instead of something faster. Still, they seem like they might have a good chance.
On May 29th, 2006, carrielamont added the following:

Wow! The 1/2 price forget-me-nots 'slept' all winter (from 11/05) and are now 'creeping' to make a beautiful border. I'm ordering more this week.
Positive purpleice
Bridgman, MI (Zone 5a)
November 10, 2005
I ordered 8 Malvas and 2 Phlox from Joyce at half price and they arrived today in perfect condition. I'm very impressed and can't wait until spring to order again from her. The plants are good sized and healthy. She sent 3 bearded Iris' as a gift and included a handwritten note of appreciation. Thank you Joyce for a job well done and I promise to take good care of your plants.
Positive bblack506
Harrisonburg, VA
November 4, 2005
What a pleasant experience! I have receieved my first order and I do believe that my entire garden will eventually come from Joyce. What an incredible, kind, passionate, caring and knowledgeable grower, of not only glorious, healthy plants, but of souls and spirits as well. My carefully packaged plants arrived with an aura of peace and well being. All healthy and full of promise. She even included a gift perennial! Ordering just before winter was scary, but Joyce wrote detailed planting and wintering notes so I'd know how to care for the plants over the winter. I'll be back, Joyce and I WILL send those pictures next year!
Positive Frostette
Wichita, KS
September 13, 2004
What a wonderful nursery to deal with!!! She made me feel like I was receiving plants from a close friend. Correspondence was quick, friendly, and informative. I got in on the half-price specials this month and received beautiful perennials packaged so well it makes me wonder why other mail order nurseries can't do the same. And she even placed a free gift of a beautiful pink Geranium (which she didn't know but I really love these plants!) in the box.
On September 30th, 2004, Frostette added the following:

I ordered again and make no mistake.....she's consistently good! Beautiful plants, nicely packaged.
On July 25th, 2005, Frostette added the following:

This year I ordered a 'flat of Snapdragons'. Once again it came beautifully carefully boxed, perfect condition - more perfect than going to the local nursery and picking out plants! Since it was already the middle of the summer, they were nice sized, flowered plants. Amazing. And she only sends them special delivery ('sign for' type USPS) so they get here quickly. I decided to go ahead and order another flat....(Impatiens this time) since everything is on sale.
On May 30th, 2006, Frostette added the following:

Apparently when you order too early, the plants are sent VERY tiny. This is my first year ordering at the beginning of the season and I was in for quite a shock. A bundle of EIGHT plants equals one from a local nursery...so I would rather have just bought them locally but I had gotten such a good deal last fall and beautiful flowers. They are so tiny I had a hard time planting them and fear they won't make it , but we'll see! They are very healthy as always, just way too small to work with easily. I will wait until end of season from now on to order.
Positive GardenHoe67
Bronx, NY (Zone 6b)
May 30, 2004
I purchased BloomMaster Planters and selected certain annuals mainly cascading ones to fill them. The annuals that I selected to use I could only find in 4 or 6 inch pots for around $3 to $5 dollars each and since I needed 40 that would have been expensive. I came across Hazzards Greenhouse from a link on BloomMaster.com and found all the annuals I selected to use. My experience with Joyce Hazzard was excellent. She answered my emails quickly her prices are reasonable and the plants arrived healthy and packed with care. I will be using Hazzards Greenhouse annually for my annuals. Thanks Joyce.
Positive art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 6a)
January 1, 2004
I have ordered twice from this company this year, both times in the middle of winter. The plants arrived in excellent condition despite the cold trip in the mail. The postage was low and the plants were half price! The owner is a wonderfully nice woman who had very good communication with me through email when something I ordered was out of stock. All of the plants I have ordered have grown and done very well. I'll continue to be their customer come warmer weather!