The scoop on 'White Oak Nursery'

White Oak Nursery

494 White Oak Road
Strasburg, Pennsylvania 17579 (United States)

Phone: n/a

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Comments:

Positive Beauhemian
Newport, PA
January 12, 2014
As a (new) member of the PA Backyard Fruitgrowers (BYFG) I have had the unique pleasure of both visiting a fruit tasting (100+ types!) and mail-ordering numerous fruit trees through White Oak Nursery. The BYFGs have a relationship with the nursery and so I take the hour long trek a couple of times a year for events. As some have already mentioned, Amos and his kinfolk are Amish, so assume all that goes along with that lifestyle and business model when considering a purchase here. That being said, I feel sort of lucky that the whole country doesn't have direct access via the internet to some of these amazing heirloom trees and plants. You'll not see some of these old country fruits anywhere else. I'll take the best of both worlds in this case.
Positive scottfsmith
Baltimore, MD
March 3, 2012
Posted on August 6, 2007, updated March 3, 2012
I highly recommend this small nursery. They are not as easy to communicate with due to the lack of email, website, etc, but if you write you will get a nice catalog of the varieties which are a mix of older classics and moderns. The quality of the trees is about the best for the price I have seen -- they are as good as Adams County Nursery for example but are much cheaper for us smaller customers. They have a few things besides fruit trees, in particular I got some impressive rhubarb divisions from them which were about five times bigger than ones I got elsewhere and which have prospered.

On March 3rd, 2012, scottfsmith added the following:

Someone above mentioned the address listed here didn't work. Try

2515 White Oak Rd.
Strasburg, PA 17579

Scott
Neutral Wolfcastle
West Lafayette, IN (Zone 5b)
January 18, 2011
January of 2011 I wrote to them requesting a catalog at the address listed on this website. A week or two later the letter came back return to sender no such number. Does anyone know if they are still in business or have moved?
Positive booch711
Bernville, PA
January 19, 2010
I met Amos ,the owner of White Oak at the summer meeting of the Back Yard Fruit Growes Assoc. Amos gave a great presentation on grafting fruit Trees . I friend of mine has a backyard orchard with 30 Heirloom apples. He highly recommends buying trees from White Oak. I am ordering several this winter.
Positive ewinter
El Prado, NM
September 6, 2004
Last summer, I had Lincoln pears from a local farmer's market. A little bumpy, don't keep long, taste REALLY GOOD! So I decided to plant one. Research turned up White Oak as the only nursery who carried them (based on Seed Savers Fruit & Nut Inventory Book, plus follow-up calls). It seemed peculiar there was no website, no phone, no e-mail and they didn't take credit cards - suspiciously fly-by-night.

It turns out they are Amish people, and you have to write a letter to do business with them. I enjoyed the correspondence which was friendly and personal. I ordered what I wanted plus a couple other apple varieties they suggested. It was shipped a week late, but otherwise everything was fine. The trees (apples & pear) have put on satisfactory growth for their first season, and the accessories were also of good quality. Wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.
Neutral dave
December 11, 2003
This is an Amish company who does not have a phone or website. You'll have to write them to find out what they have. Apparantly they offer heirloom and modern apple trees.