The scoop on 'Cross Country Nurseries (chileplants.com)'

Cross Country Nurseries (chileplants.com)

Cross Country Nurseries (chileplants.com) has 908 products listed in PlantScout.

Rosemont, New Jersey 08556-0170 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive jokerjim
Suffolk county
United States
June 2, 2015
Posted on May 13, 2015, updated June 2, 2015
Ok, I have purchased a lot of seeds from various companies over the years online. I have always been hesitant in purchasing live plants. In my quest for the super hot peppers, The Chile Plant website came up from a web search. I purchased several peppers and a couple of tomato plants.
I was counting down the time to when UPS would arrive as I am a big big fan of the Bhut Jolokia and I had a live plant being delivered. When I finally received my package, my heart dropped. It looked like it had been used for a FIFA match. The box was part crushed in and part accordion. I was fearing the worst.
Somehow, when I opened the box, the plants were all fine and no soil was disturbed! Their unique packaging made this possible. The white tomato plant was the only one to suffer and apparent trouble.
I had emailed the company and Janie replied very quickly with instructions as to how to attend to the couple of issues I had. Over the last 6 weeks, my tomato plants have grow more than double and have a ton of dark green leaves and growth. All the peppers are doing fabulously and the paprika is already bearing fruit. Normally, I would pick all the flowers until at least 12-15\" on the pepper plants but I wanted to see if my new source of plants would bear fruit. They do.
I have had more than a few emails back and forth with Janie and she has always answered my questions fully. I was really surprised to find out she is also the owner! What incredible customer service she offers. I can be a bit harsh when dealing with customer service, or the lack thereof, and my experience with The Chile Plant has been delightful. My son is purchasing some of the pepper plants and I am coming back for seconds next week.
If you are hesitant or looking for a place to buy live tomato or pepper plants, look no further. When you take into account the prompt and thorough customer service, there is no need to even entertain another company.
A complete and total wonderful experience!!
On June 2nd, 2015, jokerjim added the following:

I made a second purchase. I ordered 12 plants this time, got an alert that UPS was picking them up yesterday and received them today!

First off, this package was pristine. The first one looked like it was used in soccer practice, love UPS careful handling policy. After opening the box, nothing at all was disturbed. Not only that, but some of the plants were too tall to fit in the box. All the leaves were a nice green and very healthy looking. I purchased 5 eggplant and 7 pepper plants. The packaging is such that you could basically turn them upside down with little to no disturbance of the soil and in my box there was not any free dirt either.

I have gone back and forth with Jane, the owner of the nursery, a handful of times on a prior order and have found her to be incredibly helpful. I usually get a return email within a couple of hours at the latest. It is just a pleasure to deal with a company that is so customer friendly and delivers as promised. My prior order is doing very well, tons of new growth and plenty of buds on the tomato plants and two of the peppers.

If you are considering a purchase of live pepper, eggplant or tomato plants, you would be remiss to purchase from someone else. This is a very customer friendly company and their product is tremendous!
Positive tonyrico
Harrietta, MI
May 25, 2015
Below is a copy of the e-mail I sent to Cross Country Nurseries in reference to my on-line purchase. Surprising to me is that even though today is a holiday, I received an immediate response(not computer generated), with certain specific tips addressing some of the issues I had with my garden last year and some advice on my plans for this year. Very Impressed.

" I am a second year customer in NW Michigan. I have to say that the condition and health of the plants I received from you by mail this week and last year, far exceeds the quality of any pepper plants I have ever purchased from local nurseries, big box stores, or farmer's markets.
For me, last year's crop was an expected disappointment because I was trying to be creative and selected some plants that required a very long growing season( written in the book). And, I planted way too early. We had pockets of snow on the ground in May(2014) and freezes as late as mid June. Fall(2014) also came early which was a double whammy. At best we had a good three month season conducive to chili plants liking. The plants survived very well and grew well, but just didn't have enough time to put out mature peppers. We did get a modest harvest, but learned a lot in that process. Your book and website perfectly explained the needs of all of the different cultivars, but some people just have to go it alone. Lesson learned.
This year is already shaping up to be a good one. Weather is more better, all snow is gone, and I am excited. I'll transplant to bigger pots today and not push the calendar, and put them in the ground in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for providing such good quality plants and excellent customer service. Oh, one of my chili-head co-workers is now a new customer for you"
Positive SSLGardener
Salt Lake City, UT
May 5, 2015
WOW! I was so thrilled when my pepper plants arrived in such great shape. I was very hesitant to order plants by mail, as I had a bad experience a couple of years back when ordering from another company.

The packaging for these plants is FAR superior to anything I have ever seen. The plants I ordered were a very specific kind I like but could no longer find locally. We tried seeds last year from another outfit, but the germination was very poor. I had about resigned to never being able to get them again. So, I took one more chance on the mail order option from Cross Country. I'm so glad I did. The plants arrived (in Utah from New Jersey!) the day after they shipped! They were in beautiful condition and were nice sized plants. They did not experience any noticeable sign of shock or wilt after arrival, even when I transferred them to a larger pot a week later.

I will definitely order from them again next year. In fact I'll probably order some other varieties, now that I've seen what a fine job they do! I've been telling anyone I know who gardens about this company and what a great product they deliver.
Positive Blonde_Gator
Pompano Beach, FL
May 4, 2015
Ten Star mail order experience! I am primarily an amateur orchid grower, and bareroot orchids are (relatively) easy shippers. This was my first order from CCN, and I am beyond thrilled. My pepper plants all arrived in perfect shape, in the most ingenious shipping box/inserts I've ever seen. It was very apparent that much care was used in preparing my order. All plant tags are TAPED to each pot, to ensure correct identification, even if the box is jostled (correct ID is critical, IMO). My seedlings were 100% unstressed, strong, and happy.

I set them out to acclimate for a few days, moving into longer periods of sunshine, with the recommended water (GREAT instructions included w/my order). I've had a spring cold, and haven't planted according to my schedule yet, but after 10 days, every plant is thriving and doubled in size. Happy.

I decided to order from this vendor because I'm an amateur chef, and it's almost impossible to find some of the more obscure chile peppers used in many Mexican dishes. No more! I'm beyond excited to use the rare Oaxacan Chilhuacle Chiles, and can't wait to try other cuisines with some of the new, rare chiles I will grow. Bon Appetit.

Highly, highly recommend this vendor. Happy growing.
Positive dhoward79
Blue Springs, MO
May 3, 2015
Being an avid chile-head since I was a child in Southern California, I love spicy/hot food, Chile Peppers, Curries, etc. I have been gardening a long time, not a commercial grower by any means and I grow 100 or more chile plants each year for family and friends, and like to add new one's I think people will like. I found this site looking for hard to find pepper plants native to Hawaii and Peru and Chile Plants.com had what I was looking for, plus my Tabasco seeds were being quite stubborn, so I bought one of theirs also, but I usually don't order live plants online, fearing being shipped in a box will harm the plants, and you never know if shipping companies are being careful or not . I was assured by reading posts from other who have ordered that their shipping and packaging was top notch, just not tossed in a box and mailed. So I ordered six plants to try them out, and my order arrived day I had asked for. The plants were in excellent shape for being on the road for 3 days: no dried out soil, stalks protected and the plants were protected from being bounced around in shipping. Out of the six plants I ordered, 2 had blooming flowers on them, so I had to get them adjusted to my climate, get them re-potted, and feed them lightly a few days later. It's been 10 days since I got them, and they are growing fast with more flowers showing up. Chile Plants.com prices are reasonable, they have an kind of pepper plant you can possibly imagine, and I never seen so many different one's. Next order will be a larger one, including tomato's, tomatillo's, plus some more exotic peppers to add to my chile patch.
Positive FloridaOrganic
Delray Beach, FL
May 2, 2015
I have been organic gardening for 30+ years, long before it was hip to have an organic garden. It was about (5) five years ago that I was referred to Cross Country Nurseries, (A.K.A) ChilePlants.com. The referral came from a long time trusted master gardener who always happened to have some type of rare and unique variety of either tomatoes or peppers growing in his garden. He had always kept it a secret from me as too where he got the plants that he grew. That was until (5) years ago when I helped him redo all of his beds. My reward, and yes it was and still is to this day a reward, was his secret connection with "Mother Nature".

As he sat me down to bring me into his inner circle, I knew my garden was about to change forever.

He finally spilled the beans, (no pun intended) and confessed to me that Mother Nature was actually Janie, the owner and green thumb professor at ChiliPlants.com, his best kept secret to his award winning garden.

He opened his laptop and enlightened me forever, there it was, the rarest and most succulent varieties of edible goodness known to man.

Varieties sourced from as far away as Russia, India and the far corners of the earth, a cornucopia of heirloom goodness just a click away.

But how do you get it here in one piece all the way from Jersey I asked.
He explained that Janie was also a shipping and packaging expert and over the years she had developed special boxes and packaging to ensure a safe, secure and prompt arrival of her babies.

I was sold, "Let's place an order right now" I said, so after perusing through the endless varieties, I chose (12) twelve of what would be the beginnings of my new and unbelievably improved garden.

Before I knew it I was thanking the U.P.S driver and drooling over the sealed box he had brought me, straight from Morher Nature herself. It looked perfect, and unmolested in any way, it was humming with love.

When I opened the box, there they were (12) perfect little plants ready to be transplanted into my awaiting garden.

After a few days of allowing them to acclimate the the harsh Florida sun and after a quick soak in some organic Neptune's Harvest 2-3-1 Fish and Seaweed fertilizer, in they went to my awaiting garden.

The earth began to sing a song of thanks.

When harvest time finally came around, I looked at my notes, and was it possible? Yes, these plants ended up producing 37% more produce then any other plants I had ever used before.

Since that day, even if you gave me free plants from another company,
I would not waste the time, energy and resources planting them.

I only use plants from ChilePlants.com or I don't plant at all.
And I always plant!

Take my advice, give them a try, you will never want to buy your plants anywhere else!

I Promise!
Negative imccallusa
Fort Wayne, IN
June 21, 2014
I ordered 12 tomato/chile plants because that is the minimum in which they sell. The plants I received were smaller than expected for the price. Later I discovered that they did not grow as big as my other plants, they yielded very small amount of fruit, and I believe they carried to my residence praying mantis eggs, while they are good for the garden I had never seen them in my garden area before last year. Needless to say, I did not order from them this year. One positive is the booklet of various species of plants that was included with my order which I love to this day.
Positive LenHinARK
West Memphis, AR
June 2, 2014
My son & I were looking for a variety of chili plants and he found this website after having a disappointing experience with a different vender last year (his guarantee was non-existent) having ordered 2 chocolate habanero plants that turned out to be ghost plants, we decided to give these people a shot. We were not disappointed,the order turned out to be fantastic, the plants came in the week we asked for and the plants were correctly marked and healthy. After transplanting these plants have really taken off and some advise from the Nursery, we are looking forward to a great harvest this fall. We will order from them again.
Positive tomatogirl2
Manasquan, NJ
May 28, 2014
So happy with Cross Country Nurseries! Once again, I have fabulous vegetables growing in my garden. I've been purchasing transplants (tomatoes, chiles, eggplants and sometimes herbs) for at least 5 years now. This is the place to go for special varieties, and very healthy plants. I usually place my online order in late January, or early/mid February. Then Cross Country Nurseries plants my favorite heirloom varieties & cares for them until I'm ready to plant! I tell them which week I want to recieve my plants; they package them up (very carefully) and I either pick them up at the farm OR this year I had them shipped! Either way - the same beautiful plants. This is a small, family farm (with limited staff) but they are very good at what they do; and very thoughtful. Along with your plants you'll recieve very helpful information (to help you care for the vegetables properly). Lots of good information on their website too! **Note: I like to order early (a couple of months before I want my plants). This way they have the time to plant the seeds & grow my special seedlings - just for me!!
Positive minami
May 28, 2014
I began ordering through Chileplants.com this year after having less than satisfactory experiences with Hirts. All the plants I have received from here are healthy and strong. You can really see the difference in the health and vigor of the plants I get from here vs the ones I used to receive from Hirts. Vibrant green, no wilting, no disease, perfect starter plants. And shipping is super fast too! Thank you!
Positive hotserrano
Mystic Island, NJ
May 27, 2014
Been purchasing plants from Cross Country since 2003 and no problems with any plants. I am talking 40-50 plants a year. Can no longer drive 98 miles one way so did mail order this year. They arrived on the exact date requested and were in perfect condition. The packaging was amazing. Wish I had tried mail order a long time ago. You won't believe what good shape the plants were in and how they were packaged for shipping. I would surely recommend Cross Country to anyone who is looking for the best plants they could possibly buy.
Bob Wood, Little Egg Harbor, N.J.
Positive rldenso
Omaha, NE
May 27, 2014
Received my pepper plants on Thursday…right on time. Not one with any damage. Nice sized plants (10 -12 inches) and very healthy looking. This was my first time ordering plants online and I have to say I’m very impressed. I ordered three Carolina reapers, Trinidad scorpion, Fatal II and Habanero red savina. Put them in the ground on Saturday. They adjusted fine and are loving the hot and humid Nebraska summer weather.
Positive SanJoseFool
San Jose, CA
May 22, 2014
Great website & selection of peppers. Great job shipping/packing out to CA. Peppers arrived in good condition. A few were a little leggy but would definitely buy from them again. Highly recommend.
Positive GardeninginHoth
Saint Paul, MN (Zone 4a)
May 22, 2014
I am VERY impressed with how well packaged these plants were!
Cross Country Nurseries (chileplants.com) provided me with healthy looking plants labeled exactly as I had ordered them. arriving on exactly the day that they said they would, looking better than anything I could have bought locally (With MUCH Less selection locally)
I am looking forward to finally getting a chance to grow these rare treats!

I will be a repeat customer.

This company obviously takes the time to do it right the 1st time, and that in itself is more than can be said for some other mail order company's vegetables.
That and there Enormous selection will keep me coming back for years.

Thank you Cross Country Nurseries.
Finally Hot Peppers, even in the Land of HOTH (lol)
Positive GinaMarienj71
Society Hill, NJ
May 13, 2014
Safe seed pledge, NON GMO NJ garden center.

My dear Hungarian dad was trying to find authentic Hungarian non gmo pepper plants and luckily I found http://www.chileplants.com. I have had the hardest time trying to locate a non gmo nursery in NJ until now. They had over 9 different Hungarian peppers. I've never seen anything like it. I bought 30, some for us and some for our Hungarian friends. Usually I grow my own seeds with the aerogrow garden but this year the peppers didn't do well so I'm thankful I found chile plants and look forward to shopping there every year. I even bought their organic fish emulsion fertilizer for the plants. So excited and looking forward to a great NJ garden year. They ship nationwide too which is awesome. Happy Gardening!
Positive Perfectfit
Ponca City, OK
April 25, 2014
I just received my first order of chili plants yesterday, they were incredible!! I have been growing my own from seeds for the last several years and have come to hate that process, so I thought I would try to order plants. I was skeptical about being able to get plants thru the mail, but to my surprise they were very healthy and happy. Who ever designed the shipping box, is brilliant!! I had no damage at all, and the plant soil was still moist! I will never grow peppers from seeds again. The variety choices that are available are amazing! The questions that I had were answered via email in a very timely manner. I highly recommend this company, I will be a customer for life!!
Positive jimz2009
Mount Pleasant, IA
April 25, 2014
I have ordered plants on line for quite a few years. I have had some very bad results. Especially with the very hot peppers. Plants were poorly wrapped for shipping, arrived nearly dead, and were very expensive. I recently purchased Carolina Reapers from Dave's garden. What a surprise. Plants were in very good shape. Packaging was done with more than a touch of love. Very happy with my first experience with
Dav's Garden and would highly recommend in the future.
Positive hebsgarden
Live Oak, California
United States
April 21, 2014
I have ordered plants from Cross Country Nurseries for five years now and have had a great experience with them. Their plants have been top quality and all plants have produced a great amount of fruit. Being in Northern California I was hesitant the first time I ordered, but the plants arrived on time and in great condition. From eggplants, tomatoes and the hottest peppers on earth they have been awesome. This years order arrived the first week in April and are already blooming in the garden. Should be a good gardening season. Thanks Cross Country Nurseries. Ed 4/21/2014
Positive Phonephreak
Fairfield, CA
April 19, 2014
I have been using Cross Country Nurseries for 3 years now. I have them ship me my plants all the way to California. They pack the plants extremely well. Even if the UPS driver doesn't read the package and puts the box upside down, the dirt is held in place and the plants do not suffer any damage. My order usually consists of 60+ plants. They are the absolute best online sour e for plants. I have tried other sites and have received poorly packaged and damaged plants. Chiliplants.com is the only online plant source that I can wholeheartedly recommend.
Positive nnnursery
Fayetteville, GA (Zone 7b)
April 16, 2014
Mail Ordered, A nice selection of extremely hot and rare Chiles back in fall of 2013 for delivery this April, spring 2014. Plants arrived on time. Being the first time I have ordered I was skeptical as to packing and plant health. I have received plants with terrible packing or terrible shaped from many sources myself over the years. I MUST SAY THERE PACKING AND BOX DESIGN IS FAR SUPERIOR TO ANY I HAVE RUN ACROSS IN MY LIFE PERIOD! Plants arrived in great shape and farther long than my personally southern grown plants i germinated in late Jan. Certainly would order again. Amazing selection.
Positive Moruga01
San Antonio, TX
April 13, 2014
I was somewhat worried this past thursday, awaiting my chile plants order. I knew that the boxed plants had been placed on the UPS truck @ 5:30 am and it was after 5:00 pm with our local temperature above 88° F. I found out the UPS trucks are air conditioned. When I unpacked the box of live chile plants they were all in spectacular condition. I. had never seen such efficient packing for plant shipment in my life- the potting mix in each individual container was even still moist.Needless to say I am very pleased with my order and will be using cross country nursery again. If asked, I would recommend them to anyone.
Positive mantal
Wells Branch, TX
April 11, 2014
I was blow a way with all that service they provide.
Prices for pepper plant and quality you do not find nowhere else.
I order 12 pepper plants. State of the art packed in box.
All plants very healthy and no any damage all crisp and very clean.I recommending very strong and you get same experience as me.
Thanks

Milan Austin,Texas
Positive chris76
Serenada, TX
April 11, 2014
Excellent shipping. I worked for big brown for year as a driver and can tell you I've seen it all. I ship my personal stuff with them and know that there are times that it needs to be bullet proof. My plants arrived in a bulletproof shipping box. There wasn't a single leaf missing from any of my plants and I dont think a bit of soil in the bottom of the box.

The plants were in amazing condition and are enjoying their new pots on my back patio. From reading through the comments its obvious they have great plants and know how to deliver. Janie took the time to reply to my emailed questions, WELL after normal business hours and was obviously concerned about the well being of my plants.
Positive suddenlynice
Acme, PA
June 15, 2013
Ordered 12 pepper plants. Most of them chili and ancho plants. First, I was impressed with their large selection of hard to find pepper plants, and second their prices were very reasonable. I was able to tell them on my order when to ship the plants so as to have them after the fear of frost. The plants arrived exactly as I asked for. I received an email from the giving me the shipment information and when to expect the plants. Very nice job. The packaging was outstanding. The plants were securely shipped inside individual containers and were standing tall and beautiful. Wow, I was very impressed. Took them over to my mom and dad's garden to plant this evening. I will certainly buy from them again. Very pleased. The best out there!
Positive Jackf
Sellersburg, IN
June 15, 2013
I have been ordering from Cross Country Nurseries for several years. I have always received my plants in great shape. The packaging is excellent. I begin planning my vegetable garden months in advance and I really enjoy looking for hot pepper plants. My orders have always been correct and I always know my plants will be shipped on schedule.
Positive NigelCarter
Vista, CA
June 14, 2013
I ordered 12 chili plants of rare and hard to find varieties. They were delivered in 3 days from NJ to Southern California and were packed extremely well and very professionally. The plants all survived the trip just fine and everyone of them was over 12" tall, some nearer 15". The price I paid was extremely good for great service and great plants. I will definitely order from Cross Country Nurseries again. Highly Recommended!
Positive bmack21
Minneapolis, MN
June 7, 2013
This was my first time ordering plants online so I was curious on the process. It was quite easy, the plants came when they said they would. Were package perfectly, when I pulled them out they were tall and green and healthy. Good experience overall.

Positive PuriraX
LANDENBERG, PA
May 23, 2013
Complete satisfaction. I have been dealing with Cross-Country for more than 10 years. Shipments have always been perfect whether with an order of 24 or 312 which I've done. Shipment always arrives on specified day. Packaging is perfect. Not one grain of soil is out of place. Plants don't even have a damaged leaf, are strong, never root-bound, never stunted or wilted, vibrant green and ready to go with a bit of dappled sunlight. Often they are in blossom and may even have started a fruit. My success rate with transplants is 100%. Production quantity prolific.

My most recent order arrived a week ago and is doing nicely in their new garden home despite 90 degree heat and full sun exposure.

Cross-Country has my complete endorsement and I shall continue to be their customer. Their huge selection of chiles precludes the need to shop elsewhere.
Positive CO_Gardener
Broomfield, CO
May 6, 2013
Have looked through their informative website for years and finally ordered this year.

I usually start my own seeds, and have for years, but time got away from me this year and I was worried that I didn't allow enough time for decent pepper production. I have the expensive grow lights and make my own soil, all producing fantastic organic seedlings.

Their plants look better then mine!

The shipping container is marvelous.

When I requested the ship date, I had no idea that it was going to be below freezing while the plants were on the delivery truck. The peppers were unfazed. This says a lot for the quality.

Their selection is unbelievable and I can't wait to order again.

Like others, I thought that shipping costs were a bit high and that's probably why I didn't order until this year.

However, after seeing the plants, the shipping is completely reasonable. If I could even find this selection in a local shop, the per plant prices would exceed the overall per plant cost that CCN charges.
Positive quaqbe
Stirling, NJ (Zone 6a)
April 28, 2013
Been to the greenhouses twice (last year and this year).....great plants and selection. The folks can't be nicer..........as long as you don't try to take their cat who likes to get into any car it can.LOL
Positive microbiology1
Foxboro, MA
April 23, 2013
This was my first year ordering from Cross Country Nurseries and it lived up to the reviews. I ordered 12 extremely hot pepper plants (which are notoriously difficult to germinate). The packaging was wonderful. I don't think there was a single bruised leaf. The plants are in 2" plugs but are very healthy and ~8" tall when they arrive. The price is great for what you receive. I will never bother trying to grow and exotic pepper from seed again.
Positive arguello777
Albuquerque, NM
April 18, 2013
I have been ordering exotic plants from them for 5 years and every year they seem to be getting better and better. I've ordered plants from other sites and Cross Country Nurseries has been the best by far! Their plants appear to be healthier than the nurseries around town and the packaging they come in is phenomenal. There is no damage to the plants what so ever. I recommend buying from them over any other website out there!
Positive StephenRoss
Plano, TX
April 13, 2013
I ordered 12 plants (chiles and tomatoes) some of them quite exotic varieties. They arrived this week (as per my request) in outstanding condition. What may be most impressive is that the exotic varieties were in as good or better condition than "run of the mill" varieties that I could buy at a local greenhouse. I have bought plants from this company for several years and have not once had a complaint. The selection is amazing (over 500 chile varieties), the price very reasonable and the service commendable. I am always telling friends about this site and I am happy for the opportunity to promote it on a larger scale.
Positive BamaGardener007
Lake Purdy, AL
April 5, 2013
We received our 30 tomato and peppers plants just as promised. Packaging was superb. We were a little anxious about ordering this way but I am so glad we did. The prices were excellent and the quality of these plants is amazing. Not a bad one in the bunch. Excellent customer service and communication was great!

I'm excited about getting them in the garden soon and can't wait to see how they produce. We are definitely going to be repeat customers for many years to come!!

Thanks so much Janie!!
Positive justine00
Gainesville, FL
April 4, 2013
I got on their website January 1st to order plants at the earliest possible date. (Early birds - worms - you get the idea). I'm in Florida so I chose the earliest shipping date - April 1st (one of my favorite days). Wednesday afternoon here comes the UPS in the rain with a big parcel. I took them into the studio and unpacked the plants. Well packed - clever packing design.

You should SEE these plants !!!! Gorgeous ! Green, strong, well grown. These are NOT puny little plugs. These are nice roomy pots and deep enough for strong roots.

The varieties available will astound you. Prompt replies to inquiries - Janie is nice. If I could I would give ChiliPlants.com 10 stars or Ultra-Maximal Positive.

If there's any room left in my garden I will order from them again. NOw if it will just stop raining I'm dying to get them into the garden. The plants look so good they will instantly make my garden look GREAT.
Positive makinsoil
February 17, 2013
I’ve always grown my chilies from seed in the past because there was no other way to get the variety. Last year I tried a different seed starting medium and had a terrible germination rate. Plan B was chileplants.com that a friend told me about. I found all of the varieties that I was growing from seed and many more. When my plants arrived, I couldn’t believe how good they looked after being in the mail for three days - all the way to the West coast. They weren’t even wilted. After a great crop last year, chileplants.com is Plan A this year. Seeds are cheaper, but when I consider the cost of electricity for seed starting, I don’t know that I was saving any money. I was so impressed with my plants last year that two of my friends are now ordering this from chileplants, and I’m hoping to get my 75 yr old mom on board as well.
Neutral plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
August 19, 2012
I received my order of peppers, tomato and eggplants at the right time this spring. this is the second year I have ordered from them. Put them in the ground watered, fertilized etc. The tomato plants are doing okay, not highly productive tho. The pepper plants and eggplant plants, other than the Island Hellfire Chili plant, are barely producing anything. they are all in full sun. I got better results from my own plants that I started from seed. Same thing last year. Even the patio tomato plant was a skimpy producer-that one is in blaring sun most of the day. I got maybe 10 tomatoes from it. It being the middle of August I am very disappointed will all the plants. Besides the fact there is a minimum order requirement and I spent over $50.00 on everything, so you can't just order a couple of plants.
I Will not order from them again, its back to the grow lights for me.
Positive johnrf
Bangor, PA
June 23, 2012
I have been buying tomato and chile plants from Cross Country for several years. The selection and the plants are always excellent. Although I pick my plants up (saving $) I have recommended them to others who get their plants by mail and they say the packaging is great.
This year I picked up about 35 plants total. I was impatient to get them into the garden and it was raining every day so I did not harden them off as much as usual.
After planting a couple of tomatoes looked a little wilted and I was afraid my haste had doomed them. But they survived. Every plant survived. I don't think I have ever lost a plant purchased at Cross Country and they are the best plants you can buy anywhere.
I noticed another comment that said that Janie is rude and short with customers. She is not the most talkative and sometimes she seems a little stressed. I've learned that she really doesn't want to have long conversations with customers. I think she is a little shy and busy and can come off as a little unfriendly. But she has a great selection and her product is of the highest quality and her prices are competitive. Her husband is very friendly.
As much as I'm sure I'd enjoy having a long conversation with her about growing tomatoes and chiles I'm really there to get great plants and she does a great job. My order is always complete, properly labeled and the plants are in great shape.
For years I've had my tomato plants infected with, I guess, early blight. The plants die from the bottom up during the season. The first year I bought from Janie was the first time in years that I had no blight at all. Last year I bought, in addition to my purchase from Janie, some tomato plants from Burpee. The blight was back. From now on I will only buy my tomatoes from Cross Country.
So if you're looking for great healthy inexpensive, organically grown plants this is the place. If you're looking to hang out and make a new friend, maybe try somewhere else.
I recommend ordering preseason online to be sure you get exactly what you want.
And the website is very informative which helps when you want to try some exotic tomatoes or chiles. This year I'm growing a white tomato...
Positive AnitTina
Eustis, FL (Zone 9a)
May 22, 2011
I am very happy with this company. The plants were healthy growing well in the garden. Packed very well. I spit an order with a friend would you believe made a mistake on her order they promptly fixed my blunder and sent the Jersey tomato she wanted.
Communication was excellent. They have a fantastic amount of choices of hard to find plants.
Positive jbrickm
Atlanta, GA
April 21, 2011
Ordered with them for the first time this year. I received my tomatoes, chilies and eggplants last week and by Golly they all were vigorous and brilliantly packed. I've not seen better plant starts anywhere else. The proof will be in the yields, but the start looks promising.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]