The scoop on 'Double A Vineyards, Inc.'

Double A Vineyards, Inc.

10277 Christy Road
Fredonia, New York 14063 (United States)

Phone: 716-672-8493
Fax: 716-679-3442
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Comments:

Positive deforestliz
Sandy, UT
June 25, 2014
These people are wonderful. Another nursery failed to send me my order on time and I was calling last minute with a rush order. For a small charge they rushed me my plants. They are all thriving and were large and in wonderful condition. They arrived in less than a week from when I made my call. I got lower grade and cheaper grapes. Don't be fooled, these had huge root systems and grew like champs. I am thrilled with their vigor. They also all arrived completely dormant and were able to come out of dormancy after planting which is best. I have had trouble with some growers sending bare root stock out of dormancy and they never grow as well.
Positive milehighgirl
Denver, CO
May 22, 2014
I ordered 12 grapevines and one blackberry on July 13th 2013. I received shipment notification on May 12, 2014 and my package on May 15th.

I was astounded with the roots on my vines. I have never seen roots so abundant on any vines I have ever ordered before. My Joy (Joy (A-2494)-1-X Grade) had roots that were four feet long. Not all were that abundant, but all were superior.

I actually look forward to being able to order from them again!
Positive BiffLundgren
Midland, MI
May 23, 2013
Double A Vineyards was a great find for vines. They are very patient and very helpful for first time people like me. It took me quite a few years to find my mom's favorite grape the Beta and they had it. She was very pleased with the order it is still growing very well on her property.

This year I started my own vineyard with 240 vines from Double A. My order came in very good shape with all the vines in great health. I recommend this company to anyone looking to start a vineyard with high quality vines.
Positive HersheyFarmer
Elizabethtown, PA
May 2, 2013
After a very very bad deal with the folks at Dimeo Farms we were very happy with the service, feedback and responsiveness of Double A. Roots on the plants were great. Shipping was fair price and product looked great. I would highly recommend Double A.
Positive RobThomas
Readyville, TN
April 22, 2013
Double A was the only online retailer that I could find selling all of the newest Arkansas grape varieties. The plants arrived in good condition and well packaged. The root systems were excellent. I've ordered and planted a lot of bare root plants, and these were probably the best roots I've seen. Good prices, good service, and great plants.
Positive drrw
Ferron, UT
April 5, 2013
This was my first time ordering from Double A. I had to modify the order a couple of weeks after it was placed. The person I spoke with was very helpful and made the change, no problem. The grape vines arrived on the day their shipment notice specified, and were in great shape. Very well packed. Every vine had a HUGE root ball-- certainly top notch plants. I have been mail-ordering plants for over thirty years, and the service and product provided by Double A was as good as I've ever seen.
Positive oosa
Northbrook, IL (Zone 5a)
April 3, 2013
These are the best quality bare-root plants I've ever received from a mail order source. I was expecting little twigs for the price I paid. They sent strong, well-rooted plants. I've ordered from half a dozen different sources over the years. I wish I knew about these guys sooner. Their name maybe a bit misleading - they grow more than just "vines". I ordered elderberries, blueberries, raspberries.
Positive CherryMN
Anoka, MN
March 10, 2013
My experience in winter/spring 2012. A great place to do business with! I am pretty nitpicky on commerce websites, but I happen to really like their site's layout and operation, especially filtering by zone (important here in zone 4 MN, where we can't enjoy all varieties). Ordering was easy and secure. My plants arrived just when I had requested. I ordered grapes: one each of Marechal Foch, Catawba, Espirit, St. Pepin, and two Vanessa. Despite the once-in-a-lifetime early spring we had, I was still lazy and hadn't gotten all the holes dug. The grapes were in the fridge for 1.5 days. All I can say is that their root systems were tremendous. If you think your hole is big enough, keep digging.

Despite the extended fridge stay, the grapes were fine. The vines spent the rest of the summer growing to beat the band. A few small clusters showed up on the Marechal Foch, but did not mature. The grapes went into winter looking very healthy. If you consider that the prices they have are already competitive, and then include the tremendous quality of plants, Double A is my go-to grape source.
Positive hoosierbananna
Indianapolis, IN
April 9, 2012
Very good company to do business with. Kudos, Double A. Great service and nice rootstocks. Wish that I had a larger lot than my small downtown yard as my garden fantasy is to grow Chardonel and make my own wine. Still, going to have fun watching my seedless table varities grow: Mars, Marquis and Reliance.
Positive Wolfcastle
West Lafayette, IN (Zone 5b)
February 13, 2012
I received an order of 50 grapevines from them in the spring of 2011, and every single one of the vines sprouted and grew well despite my sub-par gardening abilities. Although Double A does accept small orders, the price break for ordering 50 vines or more is pretty dramatic. For example, 10 of their price type A vines would cost $65, while an order of 50 of those vines would be just $67.50 (Not a typo, just $2.50 for an additional forty vines).

From what I recall, the all of vines were well packed in damp shredded newspaper, and most had pretty substantial root systems. If I was going to order grapevines again, I would definitely order from them again.
Positive greenman115
Ringtown, PA
April 15, 2011
I ordered six different vines, all arrived exactly when they were supposed to and in great condition - probably the largest roots of any grape vine stock I have received before! Prices are very good and communication was prompt. I would definately order from again.
Positive goosecreekfarms
Bellevue, MI
July 12, 2010
I ordered 85 vines, mostly seedless table varieties for Michigan. All of the vines arrived as promised, in excellent condition with excellent roots. We planted everything immediately within a day of receipt. After about 7 weeks of growing, 100% of my vines have shown tremendous growth with 80% of my 1 year vines extending above 60" of Blue-X vine sheilds. Double A recommended using the Blue-X vine sheilds, which worked very well. The Double A staff have been very timely and helpfull with all of my after the fact questions. Very good people to work with. I am writing this to recommend everyone to do business with these folks. I will make additional purchases with Double A in the future.
Positive adalm
Madison, OH
April 7, 2009
Double A vineyards is the best place to buy grapevines. I also have bought blueberries,rasberries and currants all are in excellent condition and all live. Very happy with this company
Positive grv
Richards, MO
March 24, 2009
Let me tell you this story:
So I started growing fruits little by little in the backyard over the span of 5 years using local nurseries as my supplier. Then one day I decided to begin a vineyard. Being efficient as possible I chose only vineyard nurseries in the state. Many people told me to go to this nusery and that nursery that were all in the same state. On top of that I purchased 1 year old, 2 year old, and cutting vines. None of these really mattered, because after 2 years I had absolutely nothing really growing. Then I decided to look in the more successful growing regions. New York has similar climate to our own, and I found Double A Vineyards. I was going to make an order for 13000 vines but decided to look at their operation before going ahead with the purchase. So off to Fredonia I went. The owners politely took time to show me their nursery, storage facility, and a couple of hours of chatting. This had to be one of my best trips and the fact that I got a chance to look at their process was excellent. The real test was how the vines appeared upon receipt. Well first of all the roots were 20"-24" long, vines were still moist, and had so many potential trunks to choose from. Of course I pruned the roots and excess laterals. So after the first season I had vines that developed a proper trunk and decent arms. By far I would definetly choose Double A vines over anyone. Keep in mind I bought French Hybrids, Native Varieties, as well as grafted hybrids from them. The freight may discourage you and you may say to yourself that "why would I buy vines from NY when I can buy them in my own state?", well that may be true but these people have the experience and the vines are worth every penny spent.
Positive blackcloud36
Mount Airy, NC (Zone 7a)
October 10, 2008
Ordered 10 grapes from this company spring 2008. Best looking plants I have ever seen with a huge root system. This is definately the company for graps.
Positive lezurk
Toledo, IL
June 20, 2008
Over the last two year I have ordered about thirty grapevines and ten elderberries from this company. If you are considering buying grapevines look nowhere else. The quality of their stock is second to none, but order early to insure you get what you want because some varieties sell out quickly. I will be ordering again next year.
Positive glang
(Zone 6a)
May 7, 2008
I ordered 60 grape vines consisting of 2 varieties of 30 each. They had good email communication and promptly provided me with a date that my order would ship without my having to ask. I also recieved a snailmail verification of this date as well. The order arrived when expected, inside a plastic bag with wet shredded newspaper all over the vines. All this was then in a big, strong box. I was able to leave them in the box in my basement overnight without having to do anything to them. The next day we soaked the roots in water for 6 hours and then planted half and heeled in the others for a few more days until we were able to plant the rest. They have been in the ground about a week and most have green leaves budding out now. I am very pleased and would recommend Double A to everyone.
Positive trikzter2000
McClure, IL (Zone 6b)
April 22, 2006
Ordered 30 grape plants from this company on Monday April 17. Plants arrived on Thursday April 20 in the am. As we are out in the country of Southern Illinois this was great shipping. Although originally wanted 3 varieties but as it is late in the ordering season could only get two varieties, which was understandable. Plants were in a plastic bag with wet shredded newspaper in a sturdy box. The grapes were still moist when arrived. All plants have excellent roots and the one variety (the early variety) is starting to bud. Planted them Thursday and Friday and they are looking wonderful.
Positive eyeckr
Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 8a)
March 12, 2004
Good selection of vines and fruit trees. Affordable pricing and one of the only nurseries to offer the Balaton cherry tree I was looking for. They shipped my item in a nice sturdy box and it came in great shape. I expect the tree to do well.