The scoop on 'Jim's Hostas'

Jim's Hostas

11676 Robin Hood Drive
Dubuque, Iowa 52001 (United States)

Company Comment, posted on January 1, 1997:
I have run The Schwarz Greenhouse operation specializing in Hostas and Perennials for 20 years, with a mail order listing (Jim's Hostas) for 3 years I have been growing Hostas for 18 years and have a personal collection of 450 of the newer varieties. I have been a member of the American Hosta Society for 10 years, a member of the Midwest Regional Hosta Society for 8 years, and I advertise in the American Hosta Society Journal.

Comments:

Positive xstrat7
Nampa, ID
June 9, 2014
Made a order for one plant to try them out. Very fast sipping.
emailed all the info in advance to me, ship date, tracking #
ect. Nice size plant and sent an freebe also. Will Buy Again!
Thanks Jim.

Mark Jackson
Idaho
Positive Marymame
Butler, PA (Zone 6a)
June 13, 2013
Have ordered from Jim's twice now--excellent plant condition when received--will order again.
Positive steamrocket1
Middleton, WI
July 9, 2012
Jim's has a VERY extensive selection of hostas, and is one of my primary sources for mail-order (the other being Wade and Gatton and, more recently, Land of the Giants). This year, Jim's had 2,718 varieties in their catalog! I've always been very pleased with plants from Jim's. They're always arrived healthy with good root systems, and are accompanied by a nice bonus plant. Prices are quite reasonable.
Positive rocknhostas
Central, WI
June 5, 2012
This was my first time ordering, and I will definitely order again from Jim. I am very pleased with the customer service and the hostas I ordered. The plants arrived well packed and in excellent condition with a bonus plant too. I love the wide variety of hostas listed on their site. Thank you!
Positive MNhostaLover
Farmington, MN
June 29, 2011
Jim's has (what I believe to be) the largest selection of hostas online. I placed my order in winter for a spring delivery. When the plants arrived, they were well packed, but they were NOT fresh. It looked like they'd perhaps been packaged for a few days before they were shipped. They were limp. After an overnight soak, some did regain their upright shape, but two did not.

Prices were competitive.
Positive woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA (Zone 4a)
August 21, 2009
Jimshostas.com if a great place to find new hosta and the older, somewhat hard to find varieties. Prices are reasonable and shipping is great. I order 3 or 4 times a year and I'm always happy with the plants I receive.
Pam
Positive n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN (Zone 7a)
August 13, 2009
Wow - what a selection of hostas ! I found them thru the Hosta Library's auction and ordered several from their website. They even sent a nice bonus plant ! Very quick to ship and great packaging. They sent nice size plants with great root systems. I highly recommend them for any hosta you'd want.
Positive Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA (Zone 5b)
September 4, 2008
Very positive! I have placed 1 order, and have won 2 separate auctions from Jim off of the hosta library's auction site. He always sends a nice bonus hosta with each order! All of the plants I have received from him, about 10 in all, have been outstanding!
I will definitely be ordering from Jim's again!
Positive ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a)
August 4, 2008
I drove from Iowa City to Dubuque to pick up one hosta that I ordered from Jim, a 'Gunther's Prize' that I did not want to risk to shipping. After a wonderful guided tour of the gardens, I bought three other cultivars! All are great looking plants and I expect they will all do well in my garden. Vising in person is an amazing experience, to see these wonders in full specimen size is truly something to behold!
Positive lindenhall
Centre Hall, PA
May 23, 2008
Received my first order for hostas from Jim's yesterday & the plants were perfect. Good quality plants, well prepared for shipping. Will order for this business again. Thanks Jim.
Positive Cheryl8
Monroe Township, NJ (Zone 7a)
May 4, 2008
This was my first order with Jim's Hostas. The hosta I ordered was large and very healthy. I love it! And, never in a million years did I expect a free gift! The free hosta I received was beautiful. Well, you've got yourself a customer for life. Thank you.
On May 16th, 2009, Cheryl8 added the following:

Another year, another order and thrilled again. The hosta 'Candy Dish' I ordered arrived perfect and very healthy looking. I am extremely pleased with it. The bonus hosta is always a treat.
The hosta 'Clovelly' that I ordered from Jim's last year is outstanding this year. I just love it.
Thanks again.
Positive zafo
Saint Louis, MO
May 1, 2008
I have been a longstanding customer to Jim's Hosta.For rare hosta this place can't be beat. Prompt shipping and always responsive to questions. I just received another fantastic order this year!
Positive richardbeasley
Richmond, VA
March 11, 2008
Jim's hosta is still the place for rare and premium hostas.
Positive jenireed
Appleton, WI
August 18, 2007
I just placed an order with Jim a few weeks ago. I was very happy with the hostas I received. Not only were they quite large they were also very healthy. They all looked great, even though it's late summer. He even put a bonus plant in. I would definately order from him again.
Positive AddieOtto
Clementon, NJ (Zone 6b)
May 17, 2007
I had the pleasure of meeting and purchasing a plant from Jim from his vendor table at Hosta College. The plant I purchased, as well as all of the plants I saw that he had for sale were simply fantastic. He seems to have everything anyone could ever be looking for and I will definitely be doing some mail order in the future.

Sue
Positive City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX
August 6, 2006
My first expierence with Jim was on Ebay where I decided to purchase an item instead of bidding on it. When I went ot his site I discovered more Hostas that I have ever seen anywhere. I perused his site for two days and never got to the end of it. He has the most exciting collection I have seen anywhere. He has the patience of Job! he has so much stuff I kept switching my order and he never said a word. This is where I shop when I want something different! I had one complaint and he took care of it rapidly and I still got my bonus plant! He is a good guy!

Sylvia Butler
Positive treemon
Buffalo Grove, IL (Zone 5a)
March 31, 2006
Plants I ordered last year did very well. They were good sized and had great roots. The bonus plants were a nice touch too. I will certainly order again.
Positive ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ (Zone 7a)
November 11, 2005
The first hosta I bought from this company were one's from the Hosta Library auction in 2003, and I was thrilled with them.

I just had to buy more in 2004 so I checked out the website and added a couple more that were just as healthy as the year before!

Jim's seem's to always have the Hosta I am looking so this is one of the companys I wait for to put up their new list in the begining of the year!
Positive LazyJean
Omaha, NE
October 8, 2005
I'm also a fan and repeat customer of Jim's. His selection of hostas is unsurpassed by anyone else on the web. Every hosta I've ever bought from him over the years is doing great. Keep in mind he sets his price per hosta eye, at least in most cases. I highly recommend this vendor, especially for those hard to find hostas that you just have to have!
Positive maxxy
Aurora, IL
September 7, 2005
What can I say about Jim's......my DIL turned me on to this one....and what a turn on!! If you are truely a hostaholic, he has the largest selection I have ever seen....I have placed a few orders with him this year, and have not been disappointed....plus a "freebee" to boot! I received large, healthy, and well packaged plants....his price range is well, wide!!! Something for everyone! Jim's is surely one to satisfy! I can't wait to order "Candy Dish" next spring!!
Positive GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI (Zone 4a)
August 28, 2005
I ordered from Jim for the first time and had a very good experience. Jim was courteous enough to e-mail me and let me know that one of the hostas I had ordered was in it's "summer color". That particular hosta loses it's coloring in the hotter months and will emerge in spring with the "regular coloring". I was extremely pleased as I would have thought the wrong plant was sent. I appreciate his professionalism and will definitely order from him again. He has a Great selection. Kelly
Positive kasper
Ypsilanti, MI
June 3, 2005
My first mailorder order ever was received from Jim's Hostas yesterday and I am very pleased. I also received a free, surprise hosta. Jim has many hostas listed that I could not find anyplace else and I will be ordering again from this company. I liked his quick Email responses and the Priority Mail packing was just fine.
Pat
Positive Flowerchild59
Carbondale, IL
June 3, 2005
I have been a repeat customer of Jim's for several years. He has a fantastic collection of hostas and if you are a collector, such as me, it is a wonderful place to browse.
I plan to order again and again.
Positive grdnnkd
Duluth, MN
July 1, 2004
Extremely satisfied with my purchase.

Quick ship, well packed and excellent plants with great service. I would not hesitate to recommend Jim's Hosta for future purchases.
Positive tsbccowboy
Saint Paul, MN
May 27, 2004
My hosta order was packaged very well and arrived in excellent condition. I will order from Jim again.
Positive mikencarol
Woodstown, NJ (Zone 7a)
May 21, 2004
Can always count on Jim to have a rare or unique hosta. Recommend
Positive Lizbeth_A_King
Bruce, MS
May 19, 2004
Can't be beat for customer service or variety of plants. If Jim says it, you can believe it & I don't think it gets much better than that.

One of the nicest guys I've met in the "hosta world" and would recommend him to anyone from a beginning gardener to a pro.
Positive druff
June 3, 2003
jim always has a good selection. have used him many times. anytime when there has been a problem. he always comes thru. would recommend
Positive indyom
July 17, 2002
I ordered from Jim in 2001 for the first time. I ordered again this year. The 2nd and 3rd yr t/c's were somewhat smaller than expected, but he included a free plant to compensate for their size. The ones that were mature divisions were very nice. All plants were received in good condition. All are thriving in my gardens regardless of their original sizes. Over all a positive experience. I will be doing business w/ Jim again in the future as his selection and prices are some of the best out there.
Ellen
Positive jody
MD &, VA (Zone 7b)
June 17, 2002
Nice quality hosta, excellent customer service. One hosta was overlooked and not in the original shipment. Jim promplty returned e-mail and mailed it out asap. He was great to do business with!
Positive ldanlv
June 3, 2002
I had order quite a few hostas from Jim's last year. He has a huge selection. ( better than most). I was a little disappointed with their size compared to the other companies that I order from. But, they are all up and doing well.
Positive AdamJ
May 16, 2002
Excellent size and quality of plants, and the free plant was great as well! Huge catalog with hundreds of varieties of hosta some extremely rare ones also! I am extremely impressed!