The scoop on 'Darrel Apps's Woodside Nursery'

Darrel Apps's Woodside Nursery

Beebe Run Rd.
Bridgeton, New Jersey 08302 (United States)

Visit Darrel Apps's Woodside Nursery at:

Editor's Comment:
Closed Sept, 2010

Darrel has retired and sold his operation to BlewLine Nursery.

Comments:

Neutral lilysteel
(Zone 6b)
September 16, 2010
I was not aware that Woodside Nursery had been sold when I made my purchase from them earlier this summer. They don't mention it on their website. The ordering process was stressful. Some of this was my fault for not making sure I had the appropriate information before placing my order. In my defense, I thought I was placing an order with a company that received rave reviews.

I never received any sort of confirmation of my daylily order, through email or any other source. They do not list any email address (on their website) to reach them if you have any concerns or questions. Like "why didn't I receive an order confirmation? Did you receive my order?" This was 10 days or so after my order was placed. I hadn't heard anything back from them and I had not received my order.

They do not list a telephone number on their website either. Basically they do business incommunicado style. Dear Mr (Dr?) Apps tried to help when he received my frantic email (that I thought was going to Woodside Nursery). He sent me a telephone number and web link for them. The old Woodside telephone number now connects to their local Social Security office. The web link does not list a telephone number or an email address.

I'm sorry but I can't remember how I finally got in touch with them. I think I called a local business and asked them how I could reach this nursery. I didn't actually get in touch with the Woodside Nursery, but I did reach their "sister company" and (fortunately) a woman who stayed with me until my order was confirmed. I received my daylily order about a week later.

I gave Woodside nursery a neutral only because the daylilies were huge and healthy. I'm not willing to do business with them again because of the poor communication.
Positive wyldeflwr
Laurel, MD (Zone 7a)
April 19, 2007
I received my first order today and couldn't have been happier. The plants are huge, healthy and have an unbelievable root system. They are well marked and were well packaged. I was delighted to receive a bonus plant as well! I emailed a question about planting and was surprised to get a response from Darrel almost immediately. I highly recommend this company!! I definitely will order from them again.
ShirleyC in Laurel, Maryland
Positive jkunkel
Aberdeen, MD
April 18, 2007
This is a great nursery to buy plants from, I have ordered from Woodside for a couple of years now and have never been let down. Every plant I have recieved from them has bloomed the first year. They are very nice people to deal with. Darryl Apps is retiring this year and that makes me sad,. I really like doing business with him and his staff, hopefully the nursery will stay open and someone will continue his legacy at offering great plants for great prices. This years order is due to arrive next week, and im positive everything will be perfect. When talking to them on the phone yesterday they told me that they were going to give me one of the plants that I had requested as a bonus. Which is a very nice bonus, im so exicted I can hardly wait for my box to get here!
Positive EILEENMG
Elkton, MD
August 8, 2006
I have made several visits to Woodside. I find Dr.Apps and
the staff informative, friendly to speak with and pleasant to do business with. I am and will continue to be a regular client of
Woodside Nurseries
Positive mmfmich
Grand Rapids, MI (Zone 5b)
July 12, 2006
I placed a large order with Woodside and couldn't be happier. The plants were healthy and well marked. They arrived on the day that I was told they would. And the bonus plants value was almost 30% of my order. I highly recommend this company.
Positive DaylilyGrower
Plover, WI
May 11, 2006
My first box from Woodside arrived with a error. A call to them fixed this in minutes.. no problem at all. We all like to get it right the first time, but mistakes are a part of doing business for all of us. Actually in my opinion you learn more about a company and the people who run it in these situations. Woodside is just a class act Id order from them again in a minute.

The plants were excellent.. the fan counts are very generous. The service is great and people behind this company are super!

Bonus plant was a dandy too!
Positive kplants
Acushnet, MA
May 6, 2006
This is the first time I have ordered from this company. The plants arrived in good time and looked very strong and healthy. Nice roots systems! The bonus plant was a nice touch - something a little different for my daylily garden, and I look forward to all the blooms!
Positive TuddyE
Georgetown, KY (Zone 6a)
October 5, 2005
My order just arrived and I can't be happier.Large plants that are well marked and packed. They threw in a bonus worth almost 33% of my order! Can't wait till spring. Good quality from very nice people [spoke to them on phone-very helpful]. If you can, check them out, it's worth every penney.
Positive Dravencat
Edgewater, MD (Zone 7a)
May 5, 2005
Ordered from them the first time 2005. They had a an older cultiavar I had been looking for when I could find it now where else. Plants came in when they said they would, nice plants, nice root systems and sent more than the double fan on two of the three I ordered. Emailed to check when my order would be shipped and the reply came quickly and personably, not a computer generated reply. I will buy form this nursery again and again with no worries about the quality or timely shipping of my order.
Positive cceamore
Hixson, TN (Zone 7a)
April 16, 2005
I ordered from this company and couldn't be more pleased with my order.I recieived four attached fans of every Daylily ordered.
If you have a chance to order from them do it with cofidence.They are an A+ Company in my opinion!
Positive asturnut
Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b)
June 24, 2003
I visited Woodside Nursery a few weeks ago. It's a top notch place. People are nice and plants are gorgeous. The plants were humongous for what I paid for them. They had 7 and 9 fans respectively and were $10 and $18 for some fancy hybrids. They would have been $25 to $35 elsewhere. I am very pleased and will definetely go there again.
On August 18th, 2004, asturnut added the following:

I am now a bonafide supporter of Woodside. The daylilies I planted last year have all flourished and increased. I have revisted the nursery several times this year and can not say enough about the quality of the plants and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Even though the prices may seem a bit high at first glance, you absolutely are getting what (and much more frequently) you are paying for. I recommend Woodside unequivocably. :-)
On September 12th, 2007, asturnut added the following:

Dr. App's retired this summer and has sold his nursery. He has sold all his remaining plant stock to Centerton Nursery in New Jersey. I got the impression that Dr. App's client list would be forwarded to Centerton so that we can continue to purchase via mail order. There will no longer be a retail store-front. : ( Hope Dr. App's has a good retirement!
Positive IndaShade
Kylertown, PA (Zone 5b)
December 6, 2001
Ordered from Apps in the Spring of 2000. Got very nice sized double fans, and a double-fanned bonus. Prices seem to be in-line with everyone else. Would order from him again.
Positive Fehrtj
September 1, 1996
Darrel has introduced some fine daylilies - worth looking into.
Positive RandBLee
September 1, 1996
Excellent quality perennials, personal service. The proprietor specializes in cottage garden perennials, and has one of the finest collections of heirloom Dianthus cultivars in North America