The scoop on 'Petals from the Past, Inc.'

Petals from the Past, Inc.

16034 County Road 29
Jemison, Alabama 35085 (United States)

Phone: 205-646-0069
Fax: 205-646-2626
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Petals from the Past, Inc. at:

Comments:

Positive Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
April 22, 2014
Excellent experience...plants arrived in great shape, packaging was awesome & I'm very pleased with the company...will absolutely order again!
Positive RUBYS
Wrens, GA
January 17, 2014
I just received my second order and I am pleased with the roses I purchased. I also want to mention I placed the order over the phone and spoke with Jason who offered advice on roses as well as planting and proper fertilization. Being new to growing roses this was appreciated. I look forward to doing more business with Petals From the Past.
Positive Frankallen
Huntsville, AL
November 6, 2013
I just received my first order from "Petals of the Past" nursery...To say I am thrilled, with the plant they sent me, is an understatement! I ordered a fig Tree from them and it arrived carefully and professionally packaged and was a (Beautiful Healthy Plant) even had 3 tiny figs on it..... I have already got another order to them, today! This Nursery, so far, has been one of my Favorites!

Thanks to them !
Positive lucythecat0
Deepstep, GA
December 9, 2011
Wow ! Great service and great plants. I ordered rosa rugosa Hansa and Belinda's Dream. My order was suppose to ship on Tuesday, December 6th, but there was a problem with my credit card ( my fault). Jason called me on the phone to let me know. I told him I would call him back which I did the next day with a different card. He said he would ship my order that same day Wed December 7th. I recieved my order the next day Thursday December 8th. I could not believe it arrived so soon. The plants are healthy and just what I wanted. These guys care about making their customers happy. Give them a try. I am glad I did.
Positive daytontoby
Dayton, OH
April 18, 2011
Ordered 2 roses and the muscadine jelly last spring. The two roses were fairly small but healthy and I planted them on either side of an 8'x5' arbor. By the fall they engulfed the arbor and were blooming beautifully. This spring, I ordered 7 more roses, a dwarf cherry tree and some more muscadine jelly (excellent jelly btw). Everything was healthy, well packaged and promptly shipped. Will order from them again if I can find the space in the garden.
Positive gremlin17
Jenkins, KY
April 15, 2011
excellent product, fair prices, prompt reasonable shipping.
Positive JudyinGA
Newnan, GA (Zone 7b)
September 9, 2010
This was the first time I had ordered from Petals From the Past. In browsing Dave's for antique rose selections, I discovered they had the roses I wanted in stock and were close enough that shipping time would be kept to a minimum. I ordered Zepherine Drouhin and Champney's Pink Cluster. My order was followed by emails from Jason immediately who complimented me on my selections and advised that the roses would not ship until Sept. 6, which was fine. Both plants came yesterday (Sept 8) after I had been notified both by UPS and by Petals that my shipment was in transit. Both are in terrific shape. Packing was superb (although I dearly hate those packing peanuts) and both plants were much larger than I had expected. Both are full and healthy. I will definitely order from this company again.
Positive calle
Centre, AL (Zone 7b)
May 31, 2010
I ordered two ryans pink mum's, two native columbine and one fragrant teaolive back in march of 2010. As of this posting all of the plants are healthy and thriving. Shipping was very fast and the plants were very well packaged, no damage.
Positive ahellinger
Doerun, GA
April 27, 2010
I had the best experience with Petals from the Past. Thanks Mary! I didn't expect to get my Peggy Martin rose until September, but lo and behold it was in my shipment. I was so excited. They even sent a check to reimburse some of my shipping charges. The plants look so healthy. Everything was packed with such great care. I will be shopping there again, no doubt about it.
Positive pflug
Pass Christian, MS
March 19, 2010
After hearing good things about Petals from the Past for a long time, I finally made a large order of perennials and fruit trees, and I'm very pleased. The plants were good quality, in perfect condition, and packed superbly. Ordering was easy.

I highly recommend them. It's going to be a lovely spring with my wonderful new plants!

Positive JuliaSue
Birmingham, AL
January 19, 2010
These guys are way out in the boonies, yet they are always packed with customers, and I see why.

In the fruit tree department, they have an incredible variety (not completely shown on the website).

Their old-timey farm store, u-pick orchard, and nursery are all so beautiful. They have informational classes once a month or so, usually free (worth money though!). The owners are educated and willing to share their knowledge (when they have time, like I said they stay busy, you'll have to get in line).

Definitely worth a trip to the store if you are any where close by (I drive in from Birmingham, about an hour away, frequently).

The website is not representative of the all the products and services they have to offer. That's the only thing that could possibly improve this place, and maybe a few clones of them in Birmingham.

They are the best in the business that I've come across.
Negative loveblossoms
CA
United States (Zone 8b)
December 14, 2009
Posted on June 25, 2009, updated December 13, 2009
terrible business practice. terrible experience. i placed an order for one rose and my order was not only confirmed once, but twice via email both upon check-out and later personally by one of the owners. less than two days after all of this, the owner unexpectedly followed-up with a super brief email stating that they had cancelled my order due to the rose being too small to ship. heh? don't you do this BEFORE you CONFIRM? TWICE? they didn't offer the opportunity to select an alternate plant, nor did they offer a way to ensure customer satisfaction as a result of their sudden "oversight" which i seriously question was even true to begin with. they basically just said, "oops" and sent me packing. nice. the only thing i am thankful for is that i didn't have to learn after spending my money (and i buy a lot of roses from vendors quite often) that this place is mediocre and poorly run. i highly recommend vintage gardens, heirloom roses, and northland rosarium for impressive plant selection and quality, and first-rate customer service. they are in my opinion a rose gardener's dream. so, if you're in the market for quality in every area of rose retail online, you'll want to check-out these vendors first. Footnote: I ordered from petals for the first time to give them a try after my favorite rose vendors sold out of the rose i wanted. now i am happy to wait for it to come back in-stock knowing what a difference service and reliability make.
On December 14th, 2009, loveblossoms added the following:

A dubious business practice to cover their butts with a lengthy, scripted explanation that offers to correct absolutely nothing, yet justifies their neglect and lack of professionalism AFTER the fact. nice try.
Company representative comment on July 4, 2009:
On Jul 4, 2009 11:52 AM, Petals from the Past, Inc. responded with:

At Petals From the Past we consider customer service a top priority. We also have high standards for our plant material,that we grow at our farm, and refuse to ship any plant not meeting those standards. On an occasion when a plant has been ordered that does not meet our standards we email the recipent as a courtesy as soon as we examine it.

My experience has been that the gardeners I speak to each day order specific roses or perennials and do not wish to have substitutions made, so we do not offer them unless they are requested.

I am thankful to have the pleasure of gardening and working with Gardeners each day and my family and I look forward to providing the best plant material and the best customer service we can to all who visit Petals From the Past, either online or at our farm.

jason

Positive Tall_Shadow
October 9, 2009
This is one of the best and busiest nurseries in the Southeast!

The owners have more knowledge (and college degrees) than anyone you will find in this business. They always make time to answer questions when you are there.

This is the #1 A+ business I have ever encountered. Honest and above board, the stock is incredible and accurate. Those who run it and work there are of the highest integrity.

If something was not available to order - it could be that customers bought them onsite : ). We love everything they have so much, it is just hard to resist!

I try to make sure to visit at least every other month so that I don't miss anything important. Anyone visiting even as nearby as Atlanta should make the trip to this nursery. It is one of the most incredible places you will ever see!
Positive campbellrc
Austin, TX
April 30, 2009
I ordered eight plants from Petals from the Past. I quickly received a confirmation and then a shipping email. The plants arrived one week after ordering. They were all well packaged and in good condition. One plant was a bit small but was healthy and a personal note came with the plants stating how I could care for that particular plant. Also included was a packet of information on each type of plant ordered. I was well treated and will definitely order from this company again. I fully recommend them.
Positive goatster
Pine Mt, GA (Zone 7b)
March 31, 2009
My first order from them just arrived. 2 muscadines, one Alma fig and a Clary Sage plant. From the start I got e-mails letting me know my order was confirmed then another when it would be shipped and yet another when the order shipped with a tracking number. The plants were well packed and arrived leafed out, healthy and in pots. I would order from the again with hesitation.
Positive EMemphisGarden
Germantown, TN
February 19, 2009
Ordered two roses and one muscadine vine from them, and they arrived in one-gallon pots in very good condition. Were packaged very carefully. Haven't planted the items yet, but based on the health of the plants that arrived, I can't imagine them not doing well, given proper care. Would order from them again.
Positive keston
Anderson, SC
February 2, 2008
I ordered an LSU Purple and Brown Turkey fig. both were in 1 gallon pots, branched, and very healthy looking. The figs were a great value & I'll definately order from them again.
Positive obrca
Memphis, TN
December 11, 2007
4 figs in pots,all are branched. good price .lsu purple,lemon,alma,lake martin?
Positive johnsvmf
Morgantown, WV (Zone 6a)
November 5, 2007
I ordered three fig trees from Petals from the Past in July. I ordered Alma, Lemon, and White Everbearing and they arrived in great shape with fruit growing on the Alma. All three were in 1 gal pots and had good healthy root systems.

This nursery is a keeper. I highly recommend for both quality and value.
Positive Chills
Saint Clair Shores, MI (Zone 6b)
September 3, 2007
I ordered two fig trees from Petals from the Past in July (ok, not a great time to order plants through the mail) and they arrived in great shape with fruit growing from both of them (Celeste and LSU Purple).

Both plants were in 1 gal pots and had good healthy root systems.

There was a little rust on a couple of the leaves of Celeste, but I pulled these off and have had no re-occurrance (in the last month+).

~Chills
Positive raycar
Clanton, AL
August 10, 2007
As a customer of MANY years and MANY purchases, they are exceptional for knowledge, well cared for plants, and customer service. THE perfect nursery for hardy, rare, exotic, cottage, heirloom . . . I shudder to think what I have spent. Every employee CARES about what you are buying and want you to be successfull with your plants. A rare treat in today's retail markets.
Positive trackinsand
mid central, FL (Zone 9a)
May 24, 2007
i just ordered and received a large potted lemongrass. very fast shipping and packaged well. the plant is big and healthy. no complaints here!
Positive causticmuse
Casselberry, FL (Zone 9b)
May 6, 2007
I ordered two fig trees (LSU purple and brown turkey fig) from Petals from the Past a year ago on April 8. The order was shipped out three days later on April 11 and arrived in very good condition. For $8.00 apiece I wasn't expecting too much, but both figs were well-packed in dormant (pruned down to about 5" tall x 1/2" diameter stems) condition in gallon pots and really took off within just a couple of weeks. One year later, they are both thriving near a south facing wall in my yard.

Photos:
(1 week after arrival)

(5 weeks after arrival)

I would happily order plants from this nursery again.
Positive GilaGardener
Las Cruces, NM
May 4, 2007
I recently received two Ficus Carica plants (Alma; Brown Turkey) from the folks at Petals from the Past. They arrived happy and healthy and are now adjusting to life in the Chihuahuan desert. As the prices are very reasonable and the plants are very strong, I would recommend this nursery to everyone that tener mano para las plantas.
Neutral ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC (Zone 9a)
October 11, 2006
I ordered a Peggy Martin rose and was pleased with the ordering process and communication but when the rose arrived it had been very poorly packaged and 2 of the 3 stems were broken. So, now I have a healthy but very small, oddly shaped rose.
I immediately contacted them and explained the situation offering to send them photos but the only response I got was "sorry, they'll try and do better in the future".
No future with me, that's for sure.
Positive ncpepper
Pilot Mountain, NC (Zone 7a)
June 27, 2006
Wonderful experience. Plants were big and very healthy. Prices very reasonable. Well-packed. Great communication every step. Will definitely order again.
Neutral saanansandy
Sue, RI (Zone 6a)
May 12, 2006
I recently ordered 4 belinda's dream roses and 3 rosemary plants. I was very satisfied with the ordering process and the emails indicating order received, order sent and the confirmation of shipping(tracking number given). However I was very disappointed upon receiving my plants. They were not packed properly and all the rosemary plants were out of their pots and crushed at the bottom of the box. One of the roses was also crushed and all of the soil in it's gallon pot was dumped out. I emailed the company and as of yet have not heard anything.
Positive de_george
Midland, MI
May 12, 2006
Of the 8 on-line suppliers I ordered from this year (all highly rated in Garden Watchdog), the plants from Petals from the Past were the very best. The plants were MUCH larger than I expected, in excellent condition, and are very healthy, with a well-developed root structure. Further, the plants were shipped exactly when scheduled. Prices were reasonable too. Petals from the Past is at the top of my list for future orders.
Positive downscale_babe
surfside beach, SC (Zone 8b)
April 14, 2006
Incredible customer service!I received my plants days after my order and not weeks or months.Everything looks great and I will be busy planting today.

I am sure that I will be ordering from them again.
Positive MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a)
July 6, 2005
I'm a little disappointed, so far. I ordered a fig tree from Petals from the Past on June 19. There is no indication of it's size, but the price is very reasonable. I'm assuming it will be small.

A couple of days after my order I received an e-mail saying that their shipping season was over, as of May 31, until Oct. This isn't stated anywere on their sight, that I can find.

Since I'm planning on growing the fig in a pot, I'm disappointed to not have it sooner. I'm also a big fan of full disclosure and if there is a period when shipping isn't done, this should stated be someplace very obvious on their web site. (like their home page) It's not in the linked page "shipping and returns" or "events calendar." They're even advertising specials for July, but don't mention that it's for onsite shopping only.

I've decided to let the order stand because of their pricing, but I'll reserve final judgement for when I receive the plant.
On October 14th, 2005, MaryEv changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I recieved the plant. It's actually bigger than I expected and in wonderful condition. The shipping was very careful and the plant arrived in very good shape. They communicated with me immediately after hearing about my initial disappointment - very good practice.
Positive alicewho
North Augusta, SC (Zone 8a)
April 20, 2005
Extremely quick service and delivery. Great prices and everything arrived in good shape. I do wish that they had a larger variety of products but I'll definitely shop there again.
Positive celticjewel
Hinesville, GA
March 10, 2005
I love Petals from the Past. They have a large selection of antique roses, many off the beaten path plants, and wonderful information. Jason, no matter how busy, will always take time to cheerfully answer any questions . This is a unique place and anyone who loves plants will love Petals.
Positive shamar
Monroeville, AL
November 8, 2004
Jason at "Petals" is one of the most energetic, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and helpful plantsmen I have ever dealt with. His advice can be trusted and his plants are top quality! My favorite nursery!
Positive llorear
Spanish Fort, AL (Zone 8b)
October 27, 2004
Petals From The Past consistantly has one of the best selections of plants. The plants are well rooted and very reasonable in price. I only go 2 to 3 times a year as they are about 3 hours from me.
Positive bamaweed
Collins Chapel, AL (Zone 8a)
April 26, 2004
Petals from the Past is fantastic. If you have a chance to go to the nursery, GO! I spend hours there every time I visit and that is at least once a week since I live so close. Jason & Shelly, the owners, are wonderful, helpful and quite knowledgable. This is one place you do not want to miss out on if you are a garden lover.