The scoop on 'Annie's Annuals and Perennials'

Annie's Annuals and Perennials

Annie's Annuals and Perennials has 2539 products listed in PlantScout.

801 Chesley Ave.
Richmond, California 94805 (United States)

Phone: 888.266.4370
Fax: 800.819.5913

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Annie's Annuals and Perennials at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive HerMorningDove
Vienna, VA
November 27, 2014
I have ordered from Annie's Annuals and Perennials several times and have always been pleased with the quality of the plants and service provided. Earlier this year, I ordered some sweet pea and poppy plants for spring planting. The folks at Annie's kept an eye on the weather in our area and held off on shipping the plants until the weather warmed up. (As you remember, the winter/early spring was very harsh on the east coast.) I was stunned when they first called to arrange a better time to ship the plants. What remarkable customer service! I've also been impressed with the care they take shipping the plants. Yes, the cost is higher than some websites but I think it's worth it.
Positive sliderock
Salmon, ID
October 12, 2014
This was the first time I ordered from Annie's and I was amazed at how well the plants were packaged. I received my order in a timely fashion and the plants were in perfect condition. I would certainly order from them again.
Positive annarborite
Ann Arbor, MI
September 18, 2014
Made my first purchase from Annie's last year and among other things, bought 4 climbing asters. I could not believe the results this year. The plants grew to between six and seven feet and are just a mass of beautiful asters this fall. Everyone asks what they are as no one in this area has seen asters that size. I am beyond delighted and looking forward to many more fall seasons of these beautiful blooms.
The plants were shipped in beautiful condition and although the shipping was a little pricey it was definitely worth it. I would highly recommend this nursery for their quality and service.
Positive mosterbauer
Sequim, WA
August 29, 2014
I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate the plants that you sent me and the care you took that they arrived in perfect condition. I have perused your site for over a year and even have a wish list. But my experience with mail order plants was so horrendous that I just could not bring myself to actually place an order. Thank you!! I will continue to go to your site and I will undoubtedly be ordering again in the spring.
Positive camrichdesigns
Scottsdale, AZ
August 20, 2014
I have been ordering from Annie's for several years, and have always been very happy with the service and quality. My selections have arrived in good shape, and well packaged. I like their wish list option when an item is not in stock, and look forward to getting that e-mail saying my wish list item(s) are available.
Positive kentsgirl
Belton, TX (Zone 8b)
August 11, 2014
Plants arrived in good shape. I immediately had to leave town for a funeral trip across the country. A neighbor checked on things, and your plants are still in good shape a week later. Thanks so much for "filling the box". It feels like a plant gift at a time when plants are extra appreciated. And now plants are in the ground and hanging on in this Texas heat. I would love to visit Annie's nursery someday. Thanks for a good experience for my first time ever to order plants online.
Positive thetubeguy1954
Orlando, FL (Zone 9b)
July 25, 2014
I have been doing business with Annie's Annuals & Perennials for 3 years now. What I really like about Annie's is it allows me to purchase plants for my garden that you cannot find in any of the local stores such as the 3 "Lobelia aquana" plants I recently purchased. This is great for having a garden that's unique from your neighboors.

Unfortunately in one of my last purchases the "Abutilon striatum" aka Redvein Indian Mallow plant I bought arrived in very poor condition ---{we all know when dealing in plants, occasionally 1 dies during shipment}--- so I called Annies and spoke with Cassandra Ramos. Cassandra's extremely pleasant personality is a real asset to Annies. She told me no more "Abutilon striatum" were available, which really bothered me. Because this was the plant I wanted the most.

Cassandra must have heard my disappointment, but she remained cheerful and as helpful as she possibly could be. She informed me I could wait for another "Abutilon striatum" to become available or order a different plant if I chose to. I stopped Cassandra and told her it really didn't matter what my other options were because I really wanted another of the "Abutilon striatum" plants. So I'd just have to wait for another "Abutilon striatum" to become available.

Cassandra informed me I could check my "Wish List" online daily at Annies to see when another "Abutilon striatum" became available and when one did I should call her immediately! Well Cassandra was so cheerful & helpful by the time the call was over I wasn't even bothered about the "Abutilon striatum" dying. To make a long story as short as possible, I continued checking my Wish List on Annies everyday to see if another "Abutilon striatum" became available. Then one day I called Annies again and asked for Cassandra Ramos when they picked up.

I was going to ask Cassandra about a different plant I saw in Annies catalogue, when she said; "Mr. Scata I just hand-picked the best 'Abutilon striatum' I found out in our greenhouse just for you!" Cassandra explained how there was only 3 or 4 "Abutilon striatum" plants left in their entire greenhouse and she realized how bummed I was about my "Abutilon striatum" dying. So she hand-picked the one she thought looked best and was about to call me and tell me the plant could be replaced after all!

Cassandra Ramos went well above & beyond the typical customer service I'm used to receiving anywhere ---{I want to be crystal-clear that I've always received good customer service at Annies}--- She is the person I'll always ask for from this point on. My "Abutilon striatum" arrived today and it does look very nice. Annie's Annuals & Perennials and Cassandra Ramos get's BIG thumbs up from me. Thank you both very, very much. ---Tom Scata
Positive daelanf
Lake Stevens, WA
July 15, 2014
I placed two different orders for Phormium 'Black Adder'. Both shipments arrived with very nice plants, but also the shipping containers were the best of any mail order shipments I have received....and I have done a lot of mail order plant buying. The plants arrived fresh and perky, despite the weather being quite warm. The soil was contained and moist and none of my plants were crushed or otherwise damaged, even though the box was NOT lying " this side up" on front porch. I am impressed with the plants I received, but even more impressed with their shipment method. Altogether a very happy experience!!
Positive CarolQ
Medford, OR
July 5, 2014
I ordered six perennials from Annie's Perennials this spring. They arrived in beautiful condition and were very carefully packed. I was very impressed by just how carefully they were packaged. Since I live in Oregon and AP is in California, I really appreciated this. All six plants are still alive and thriving. I will happily order again from these folks.
Positive Marchant
East Wenatchee, WA
June 30, 2014
Annie's Annuals and Perennials always have healthy beautiful plants that they send; and, they arrive at our home looking like they have never been disturbed. Just comfortable in their containers.
Positive terrimckyd
Omaha, NE (Zone 5a)
June 25, 2014
I have ordered plants from Annies Annuals for many years and they are my source for annual poppies. The plants I receive from them are strong and transplant very well and I should add I have found no other mail-order source for annual poppies! The one time my plants arrived with problems they took care of me. This last batch of plants from them was amazing.
Positive JaniChris
Olympia, WA
June 25, 2014
Here is the email message I sent to Annie's Annuals after receiving two different plant orders from them:

I so appreciate the care you take with the plants you’ve sent me. They have been in excellent condition and I feel they are treated with loving care from the time they come into your keeping until they leave!

A happy customer,
Jan Starling
Olympia, WA
Positive clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b)
June 21, 2014
Posted on May 10, 2012, updated June 21, 2014
Posted on May 1, 2012, updated May 10, 2012
Posted on November 12, 2009, updated May 1, 2012
Posted on July 12, 2009, updated November 12, 2009
While browsing DG this morning I saw the review of Annie's and realized I'd been amiss in not giving extremely positive feedback! I read about Annie's on DG, and , although they were in Calif., and it can be a long shipping process to Ohio, decided to give them a try.
What a delightful experience! Annie's treats customers and plants with care and consideration. These plants have now been in the ground here for over a month, showed no signs of shipping stress-due to the well thought out packing. The rootballs were huge and the plants-a diverse mix-took off rapidly. Several plants have outdone those from the local 'upscale' nursery, where I paid 3x as much for a larger size. Annie's is great! Thanks DGer's for the info about this special place. Thanks Annie's for a wonderful experience!
On November 12th, 2009, clpgirl added the following:

Was unexpectedly in the Bay Area last week and my friend and I took a 'field trip' to Annie-s, since I've been so delighted with the plants they shipped to me in Ohio. Employees were very, very helpful, and the variety of plants could have kept me wandering for hours and hours.
Neither my friend nor I had any intention of purchasing plants (I was flying back to Ohio the next day). My friend who lives in Sacramento and has xeriscaped her front yard, couldn't resist the huge selection of Calif. natives, and purchased 6 to fill in a bare spot.
I wandered off to the fuchsias and found a rare variety, procumbens. Figured if I was taking back one plant, I might as well take back 4! Purchased 2 Verbascum Southern Charm and an Orlay "White Lace Flower". Annie's packed my purchases very securely for travel, and I took my little box with air holes home on the plane. Also bought some garden gloves and a "Flower Floozie" t for a friend.
I just want to thank Annie's again for a great experience. You have 2 customers for life!!! (Now, if I only had my own shipping company............................)
On May 1st, 2012, clpgirl added the following:

Since my last posting I have ordered from Annie's every year.(I've been a bit lax in my postings...) Receiving their box is like Christmas and my birthday together!!
I look forward to their catalog every year, and don't mind the shipping cost cuz the plants are packed so very, very well!
I would recommend Annie's as a 5 plus star vendor to ANYONE!!! I have overwintered several tender plants in my breezeway/greenhouse and they continue to thrive after 3 years! Her perennials for my area are some of the sturdiest in my garden beds.
This year my box had been smashed in transit. Called Annie's cuz one tomato had been broken. NO PROB! Would send a replacement right away.....i'm serious when I say that I would buy all my annuals from Annie's (if they were closer :)
Thank you Annie for your consistency, beautiful plants and wonderful customer service. Can't wait til next year!!
On May 10th, 2012, clpgirl added the following:

By now, Annie's feels like family!
When I called about the replacement tomato plant, for some reason I mentioned that the last trip my best friend and I had taken prior to her unexpected passing was to Annie's. I told the rep what a good time we had.
What a touching surprise that when I received my replacement tomato Annie's had added several annuals and a note saying they were in honor of my friend....
WOW!
Annie's care about people and plants and you can't ask for better anywhere,
Thank you so much Annie's. I am overwhelmed....

On June 21st, 2014, clpgirl added the following:

Apparently I forgot to add my 2013 4 star rating, but this year I am adding 4 for BOTH 2013 and 2014. Once again I was totally delighted with Annie's!
Due to an injury last winter I lost my fuschia procumbens, which I had obtained from Annie'sat least 5 years ago...could NOT believe what a beautiful, LARGE plant I received!
Overall, once again GREATselection, fast, fast shipping, and best packing I have ever seen-and I purchase about 80% of annuals and perennials on-line.
Thanks, thanks everone at Annie's for providing a source for this rare fuscia again, the wonderful cerise hollyhocks (which re-seed very, very well here in zone 5b) and the joy I receive from your beautiful catalog and reliable service every year.
See you in 2015!
Positive papakura
Alameda, CA
June 20, 2014
I am a bit disabled and have trouble shopping in a nursery. The nursery in my town treats me like I have a communicable disease, so I began buying plants from Annies as this company is highly recommended in my favourite magazine, Garden Gate. They were quite correct. All plants, and I order 8 every month, arrive in a very sturdy box, having been packed the previous day, and are still wet, not just moist, and all are at this moment healthy on my balcony and in my garden. They are all so far for the hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies in my area, but I plan to expand as time goes by. I wish I could afford to purchase more, but finances curtail that, but this certainly keeps me busy and entertained.
Negative NoNora
Roslindale, MA
June 18, 2014
First of all, I've had more plants die that I've purchased from their website than any other - and I've purchased from a hundred different nurseries featured in Dave's Garden. I am in a harsh climate and the plants are too small and shallowly rooted to long survive the shock of transplant.

And let's not even go into how many of their plants are OUT if stock, let's concentrate in the "in stock" ones. I received a notice that a plant I'd been waiting YEARS for was in stock. I go to the website - it shows as in stock - and order it. A week later, when the plants SHOULD have been shipped and if already dug the holes and prepped for planting, I receive an email that they don't have it, that I'll be notified when they do, with no indication as to when that might be.

Why did I get an email that a plant was available that wasn't? Why did it take a WEEK to let me know? Why isn't the website kept up to date.

It is no surprise to me they've received more negative than positive reviews this month. I hope Garden Watchdog revisits their positive stance toward Annie's Annuals.

Don't order from them if you have other options.
Negative sanyaom
Valley Center, CA
June 5, 2014
I've placed an order for 4 plants almost a week ago.I received the box today (I'm in California).My complaint is about the lack of confirmation email after I've placed the order and inability to check the status of my order online.There is no link to account history or order status.One plant was not shipped and on the attached bill it just says"Item backordered,plant too small to ship". I wish I knew that before, so I could have ordered it from someone else. I don't know when and how will they send the plant ,there is no information .
Email link on their page is not working so I've sent them the email through Dave's garden. Also left the message on their phone, but no response yet. They have nice plants and I always try to buy plants and seeds from small nurseries that pride themselves in healthy production,but sometimes those nurseries fails because of bad business management practice.
Company representative comment on June 6, 2014:
On Jun 6, 2014 3:28 PM, Annie's Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hi Sanya: Thank you for your feedback. We do send a confirmation email out for every order placed, although sometimes we find they are blocked by certain ISPs or accidentally delivered to spam, depending on differing security settings. For that, we apologize!

We've given you a call today, as well as an email to discuss your backordered item and when it will ship.

We've checked out the email link and it seems to be working fine, now. We're very sorry you had a difficult time getting in touch with us, but please do give us a call and we will be very happy to sort everything out! 1.888.266.4370.

Negative HouseofFlowers
ROSLINDALE, MA
May 25, 2014
Posted on May 21, 2014, updated May 25, 2014
First, I want to say that I love the plant selection available at Annies and have been drooling over the selection she has for over a year. I order most of my plants by mail. My problem is that my plants were not packaged well. I ordered 4 plants and most of the dirt was out of the pot for 3 of them so they were suffering pretty bad by the time I got the package. The 4th plant was completely decimated, broken off at the base of the stem and I had to dig through the dirt to find it. I tried to plant them all anyway hoping that maybe the root system will push something new up but I do not think that will happen. I am really bummed-- there were other plants that I really wanted but after paying such a significant shipping fee, I expect the plants to at least be healthy.
On May 25th, 2014, HouseofFlowers added the following:

I've had my plants for less than a week, they arrived in terrible condition and a second plant has proved itself to be too damaged to survive. That is 50% of my order dead and unusable. (The other two plants seem to be okay.)
Company representative comment on May 27, 2014:
On May 27, 2014 4:04 PM, Annie's Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hi HouseofFlowers: Thank you for your feedback! We are very sad to hear your plants did not arrive in good shape and that some did not make it once planted. Please, please give us a call. We do not hesitate to replace plants that arrive damaged in the shipping process, as our shipping guarantee states. Even though we strive to pack and ship with the utmost care, sometimes the journey across the country can be very rough as boxes are transferred from truck to plane to truck again. I am sure we can help! 1.888.266.4370

Positive maryvv22
Forest Grove, OR (Zone 8a)
May 20, 2014
I have been buying plants from Annie's Annuals & Perennials for over 10 years. I first found her plants in a local nursery in Santa Cruz, CA. I moved to Oregon a few years back and I've used her mail-order three times.
The first two times I ordered six plants each time and I believe one plant had a broken leaf. All the rest of them were in great shape. This year I ordered 12 plants because my wonderful daughter got me an Annie's gift certificate for Mother's Day. They all came in perfect shape and very healthy. Her plants are so well cared for they are unlike any other mailorder nursery. I just came in from my garden and all my plants are looking great even after a three day spell of unusually warm weather for May (86*). I have ordered plants from a competitor and they arrived wilted, scrawny and overall not in the best shape.
This Spring I've had three different neighbors, that I am not well acquainted with, tell me how awesome and beautiful my garden is. That says it all. You will not go wrong with Annie's. My only regret is that I didn't get to go to the nursery in Richmond before I moved. I bet it is fabulous!
Positive brandykins09
Knoxville, TN
April 27, 2014
I have ordered flowers from Annies last year and this year.
They are always packaged very well - Which is partly why shipping is so much, as well as the fact that shipping is from CA to Tennessee. This year I ordered 8 plants and they arrived quickly and very healthy. I would order more but the shipping price is just a bit much for me, even though I understand the cost. Since, I've had such good luck with her plants - I will order again but probably keep it to once a year.
Negative Leishman15
Berkeley, CA
March 31, 2014
My parents love the place and took me there with them (I am an adult and it's obvious).

The people who worked there focused on my parents, so I had no help with in finding or choosing their vegetables and decided to give up on trying to figure out their fruit selection. Both selections were pretty bad, but the worst was their spotlight selection of passion fruits.

They listed three varieties and mentioned only one had fruit that could safely be eaten, but didn't mention the name. I had to deduce that the variety that mentioned fruit on the tag (barely) was the right one. I asked for help from the person who had just finished talking to my dad about flowers and he had no idea. I asked if there was someone else who would and he said he doubted it.

I pointed out the price, even on sale, was a bit high, but my dad said it was because these were quality plants. Yet just after putting the plants in a sunny spot (it was early August) and watering them my fig dropped its leaves, my basil and onions bolted. My oregano is still sorry-looking (It's the end of March), my remaining onion hasn't grown even a tiny bulb, and my passion flower hasn't grown even a leaf nub.

The only thing that did well was my chives, thyme, sage, and a pepper plant. No peppers, though it was said to be the right size and age to grow them and there's peppers all over my neighbor's pepper of the same species.

At least the herbs taste good.
Positive sassyelephant
Fresno, CA
March 13, 2014
I have now ordered from Annie's Annuals 6 times. Each time I am more than pleased with the plants. They always arrive well packaged, and in great condition. So far I have not had any problems with any of the plants I have ordered. You just have to give each one what it needs, and it is happy. I will very soon be traveling to the nursery and am very excited.
Positive shauna1219
Tampa, FL (Zone 9b)
March 12, 2014
I received my first order from Annie's about a week ago and I was pleasantly surprised. The plants were much larger than I was expecting and were packaged with great care. There was almost zero damage from the shipping, other than 1 single broken leaf and they were shipped from California to Florida. The plants were potted and have grown quite considerably since I received them. I have received another order from a different nursery around the same time and the growth rate on the Annie's plants has been drastically better than the other plants.
Positive sehanley
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
February 7, 2014
Annie's Annuals is the mail-order nursery by which I judge all others. Their website is lovely, but designed primarily for ease of use. Drop-down menus allow one to search for plant material using multiple criteria. Items never mysteriously "disappear" off one's shopping cart. Navigation from the homepage, to plant lists, to the shopping cart and back again is easy. Even image-heavy pages load quickly. Annie's complete historical inventory--including plants not currently available, but those offered in the past or being cultivated for future sale--is readily accessible, which is a treat. Real live horticulturalists and plant enthusiasts contribute descriptions, cultural information, and glossy photographs for each individual species and variety. The website itself is a fantastic resource, above and beyond its utilitarian purpose.

I'm very keen on the bread-and-butter material they offer, but I really enjoy the rotating selection of South African bulbs, bromeliads, and succulents. In general, even the rarest and most squee-worthy stuff is available for at least a full week or two consecutively, which suggests that production and sales staff are earning their keep.

The packaging for mail order material is fantastic. It's absolutely worth the small "handling" fee associated with shipping costs. When being pulled for orders, rootballs are gently transferred into thin mil plastic, then inserted in the appropriate liner (good quality, heavy for their size, and constructed to be used again and again). All liners are inserted into snug, secure punched cardboard, through which the top growth emerges, allowing for air circulation during shipment. From the uppermost leaf or bud down to the rootball, Annie's shipping and packaging department ensures that everything is protected from being smashed or torn. On more than one occasion, I've had a box arrived looking tattered. The material inside belied this appearance.

Out of many orders I've placed, I've had one notable problem. A perennial arrived with its primary stem broken. Necrotic tissue (black, and a bit woody) at the actual site of damage suggested that this happened prior to shipping. I followed the instructions on my invoice, contacted customer service by phone, and they suggested that I plant the perennial as planned to see if the secondary bud would push out new growth. They assured me that if the plant failed, they'd be happy to replace it for me or provide a refund or credit. A month later, the plant pushed out a bevy of tender, young stems, and thereafter it's thrived. I was happy to learn that Annie's has protocols in place to handle such a situation, and the staff member with whom I spoke was gracious, helpful, and efficient.

I admire their integrity, and I love the way they run their business. If I lived a bit closer, I would be happy to visit their nursery and demonstration gardens in person. Second-hand gossip from local plant nerds suggests that the grounds are clean, staff are well-educated, and the gardens are wonderfully maintained.
Positive jackstangle
La Conner, WA
January 17, 2014
I ordered 1 poppy plant. 1 week later it arrived, well packaged & looking good. I am impressed. Thanks Annie.
Positive bodyworkgoddess
Maryville, TN
August 2, 2013
After watching all of Annie's videos and absorbing the catalog I may have to admit that I have a garden crush on her and her plant knowledge. I held off on making a purchase because of the high shipping rate. I got off that fence about a week ago and placed a order, so glad I did. The plants arrived healthy and very well packaged. This order was for three different carnations they offer and a hat. The hat that arrived was not the one I ordered. Sent a e-mail and within minutes was responded to and the mistake was corrected. New hat on the way and a return ticket for the other hat being sent with it. I hope to fly out there next year for their Spring party and do shopping in person. Time to start saving my pennies...
Positive absinthe27
Albertville, MN (Zone 4b)
July 29, 2013
Ordered a number of plants from Annie's this spring and all have done very well after a short period of recovery from being shipped (except my poor Pink German Catchfly which was bitten off at the base by a rude critter just as it started to flower). My lupine was on backorder, but was shipped as soon as it was available, and I wasn't billed for that plant until they sent it.

I love the huge variety of unique plants that are offered and the whimsical catalogs and plant descriptions. I just wish I lived close enough to visit in-person; the nursery looks beautiful from any pictures I have seen.

Will definitely order again next year.
Negative birdied
Destrehan, LA
July 19, 2013
I ordered 8 plants from Annies. The packaging was very good.

However, I was very disappointed in the size and quality. 3 plants died within 2 days.

Company representative comment on July 30, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 5:49 PM, Annie's Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hi Birdied:

We are also disappointed to hear your plants did not make it! We guarantee plants arrive in excellent shape and ready to go in the ground. If you were unhappy for any reason, please drop us a line and give us a chance to fix the problem. We are always happy to help! 888.266.4370

Positive Fatbun
East Richmond Heights, CA
July 5, 2013
I was so happy to discover that Annie's Annual was about 10 minutes from where I live. My first visit was during their Spring Party and it was a very whimsical and creative atmosphere, especially with the hilarious fake cat poo flinging contest and the generous gift certificates given to winners. Annie seems like a very nice, genuine and fun person. However, the most impressive thing was all these beautiful flowers and edibles arranged in harmonious landscape design. As I walked around, talked to and observed their staff, I could really tell that this place was wonderful and a lot of care and patience were put in. I felt very confident in purchasing nice healthy and robust plants from here and would wholeheartedly support this local business. Many of my gardener friends from San Francisco and even my sister in San Jose all heard of and enjoy going to Annie's.
Positive debgar71
Granite Falls, NC
July 4, 2013
We just received our first order from Annie's. It was on time and packed to perfection. the plants were exquisite and we are getting ready to order more.

Far superior to anyone we have ordered from online.
Positive mommacat11
Stafford, VA (Zone 7a)
June 27, 2013
I made an online purchase a few days ago and although shipping was high.... $56 from CA to VA... I have never received plants that have been so well packed and BIG!
I will definitely be ordering from Annies again.

Deb in VA.
Positive KatyMac
So. Puget Sound, WA (Zone 8b)
June 7, 2013
Once again, I'm blown away by the size and health of the shipment of Rozanne geraniums I just received. Their packaging is superb. I think it would take a bomb to damage them. They shipped in four inch pots, but each plant was first wrapped in plastic. The soil was still moist when I received them. The plants are robust and half the plants are blooming already. Did I say I am pleased?
Positive icebird28
Coppell, TX (Zone 8a)
June 2, 2013
I received the 3rd shipment from Annies, I think. I'm guessing now, its about 30 plants. All are fine and most are thriving. I think some are still adjusting to being re-potted. I love the sweet peas, which I cannot grow from seed to save my life. I'm not sure about the posting about the peculiar packaging. I love the fact that they are packed in wet paper and in a baggie. I had some items on my wish list and religiously checked every day for an unusual item, until I finally ordered 2 of them. Sorry suckers! Except for the nicotiana with huge leaves, where a couple leaves are broken, everything arrived in great shape. I can tell Annie's grows their plants lovingly and take great care in their shipping. Perhaps my local shipping companies take greater care in delivering live plants than others. Love ANNIES!
Positive kpercy
Oakland, CA
May 23, 2013
I've found Annie's plants to be top quality, with friendly help if there's a problem (one order had a mispick). I'm surprised to hear about other people with shipping problems because I'm amazed at their meticulous shipping methods and how carefully the plants are protected with inserts. Over the years I've bought dozens of plants here and I don't think I've ever had one show up that was unhealthy or other than described; most of the plants I have that are showstoppers came from this nursery, which means not only are they great looking plants, but they're healthy and strong enough to survive my learning curve and the shade, dogs, pines, etc. Every gardener I know has top regard for this nursery, and that includes people who garden for a living.
Positive camarogirl
Wilsonville, NE
May 22, 2013
I am a first time Annie's customer, and I could not be any happier! I have been burned (badly) by other less than reputable online companies, and I can tell you, that the folks and plants from Annie's are just tops. EVERY email that I sent was responded to, and every question I had was answered. All in a courteous and expedient manner. I dealt with a wonderful lady named Michelle, and she couldn't have been more helpful. I know some folks have taken issue with the shipping charges, but personally I'd happily pay the shipping charges again. The plants arrived in wonderful fashion, looking as healthy as they would if they'd never been shipped. My only issue is that I don't have more "play money" to spend on more of their plants (hardly Annie's fault), haha. I will definitely be back! Thank you Michelle, and thank you to Annie's!!!!!! I highly, highly recommend Annie's Annuals to anyone who is online shopping for plants.
Positive MDepicci
Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a)
May 17, 2013
Posted on May 16, 2013, updated May 17, 2013
I ordered hundreds of dollars worth of stuff from Annie's. Much of it came in good condition. However, about 20-25 percent of plants arrived nearly dead. Most of them did end up dying, although I could revive a few. No other place I've ordered from has such a high failure rate, even giant discount places. Their packaging is awful. Some plants actually arrived on their side, or upside down and smothered in their container. In others, the soil fell out and roots were exposed. Or the soil was totally dry.

I emailed them a few days ago to tell them that there was a problem with the packaging. Also, I had not received some plants that were supposed to be in the order and I asked about them. I received a somewhat curt reply. She said she'd send me the date for shipment of replacement plants the next day. She also asked for more details of the shipping problems. She did not say anything about the plants that never arrived.

I wrote back detailing the problems with shipping. I didn't hear back. Yesterday I received more plants. Again, 20 percent of them were in really bad shape. I took photos of them just out of the box so she'd know what I was talking about. Most of the stems were broken off several of the plants, and others were wilted. I also said that she had not yet answered me about the plants that never arrived. I said I wanted an ETA for garden planning purposes.

This was the reply in its entirety: "I assure you we do ship good, healthy plants. Any plant that has backordered can be shipped as it grows big enough to ship. We can contact
you as that happens. The plants that fail can be replaced. Not to worry."

So, apparently, they do not believe their customers who tell them (and send them photos) that their plants arrived in bad shape. And they do not make a habit of either contacting their customers before shipment if stuff is backordered, nor do they try to guess when a new ship date will be. They will only let me know when it is ready to ship. I would certainly like the option of canceling if it will be a long time!

I wrote back expressing irritation, saying that when I order nursery plants, I want them to be reasonably reliable. I wish I could propagate all plants from seed, but I do not have time or space. I don't want to have holes and dying plants in my garden while I try to see if I can revive them. I gave a list of plants that have failed. I haven't heard back.

Every email I received has been curt, none have apologized. The sense I get from them is that I think I must have screwed up, because they couldn't possibly have. Or something. Their attitude is really mysterious. I suppose they are doing well enough that they are not particularly concerned about losing a customer!

It's frustrating, because I absolutely love annuals, and they have the by far the best selection of unusual annuals that I've been able to find. I would love to be able to shop there regularly. I spent a huge amount there this season, but obviously I will not again.

I called the mail order number and asked to speak to a manager to find out if it was indeed their policy not to inform customers about backorders, nor to give estimated ship dates. The person on the phone asked the name of the person I'd been emailing with. She said that person *was* a manager. So I guess that is their policy.

On May 17th, 2013, MDepicci changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Soon after I wrote this, the person with whom I was emailing gave me a detailed description of what would be replaced and when. Anything that could not be replaced was refunded. Some of the shipping costs were also refunded. I am satisfied.

Some plants I had ordered before this arrived today looking absolutely gorgeous. Which is kind of too bad, because I'm going to start buying up all their stuff again.
Positive Johnboy369
Fort Collins, CO
May 17, 2013
I just received my plants from annies and they look great. The shipping was a little pricey, however, the way they were packed makes up for it. No damage and hardly even any soil spilt during it's shipping. Thanks!
Positive joimack6953
Wheat Ridge, CO
May 10, 2013
I've looked at this website for a few years and was a bit hesitant ordering plants for Colorado from a California grower. This year I gave in and I'm so glad I did! My plants arrived impeccably packed and in perfect shape. Since they are perennials I'll see how they winter. And... I just placed my second order with Annie's!
Neutral lemurianne
Ida Grove, IA (Zone 5a)
May 10, 2013
Posted on May 8, 2013, updated May 10, 2013
Posted on September 12, 2011, updated May 8, 2013
I had the pleasure of visiting Annie's earlier this year and was really impressed by their "nursery", which is actually just plants being propagated out in the open air of a big remote lot in Richmond, CA! It was remarkable and shockingly beautiful. The prices are a little nuts, as is the shipping, which kept me from placing an order when I returned home to Iowa this Spring. But I succumbed this Fall and ordered 16 plants! They were packaged well, albeit peculiarly -- the root ball of each plant is removed from the pot, wrapped in wet paper and placed in a sandwich baggie. Then placed back in the pot. The pots are securely placed in cardboard frames made especially for securing these pots, 4 pots to a frame. Two frames per shipping box, filled to the brim with PACKING PEANUTS. I loathe packing peanuts, but I have to admit that all but one plant arrived in pristine condition. The one plant that did not arrive well was the one I most wanted: The purple angelica!! It unfortunately arrived with 2 of three stems broken and not looking at all happy to have been in a box at all. I've tried to trim it up, repot it with fresh soil, and placed it in some bright shade. I have my fingers crossed that it will recover. But I digress! For the most part I am very happy with the purchase, the packaging and the fast shipping. Annie's really does have a great selection and the plants are very healthy and they seem to be great people so I will most probably order again and recommend them to friends (at least the ones with deep pockets!).
On May 8th, 2013, lemurianne changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I feel so sad about changing my rating of Annie's, I still dream of the too few days I've spent at her absolutely fabulous nursery and the plants I've received in the past. I placed two orders this Spring and received the first of them today. First of all, the shipment packaging has changed -- there are no more packing peanuts, but there is nothing in their place!!! The plants are just free to fly and flit about the box in transit, AND THEY SURE DO. Some of the plants had come out of their containers, dropping their dirt all over everything else and losing leaves whilst no doubt being tossed about during their two day journey from Cali to Iowa. Upon tidying up the loose plants, I noticed one empty container. One of my plants has been "backordered", whatever that means...

As has been made obvious by everyone else, Annie's shipping charges are outrageous. I have never been charged so much shipping by another nursery, even ones that are shipping gallon containers!! Even ones that also ship 2nd day air from California!! Seriously, I got multiple packages today that were shipped on Monday from the west coast that cost way less and contain twice as many plants!!! Ahem.. so naturally, I order as many plants as possible from Annie's to make the crazy shipping charge worthwhile. Annies's has such a great selection that it's no trouble finding things I'd like! When they just don't send a plant, it's really annoying. I would have liked to have been contacted and given the opportunity to have something else put in its place. Most mail order companies that I have dealt with have contacted me if something wasn't ready or available to ship. I can only think of one exception, but their shipping was totally reasonable and fair so it didn't seem like a big deal.

Anyway, I'm unhappy. Maybe I wouldn't be so unhappy if Annie's hadn't set the bar so high in the first place. Also, my Bill Wallis geranium is but a wee little spot of a plant, NOT AT ALL what I have come to expect to receive from Annie's.

I'm so sad :(
On May 10th, 2013, lemurianne changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Since there was no response to an email that I sent regarding this order, I called and spoke to a wonderful person at Annie's. She was very sweet and apologetic and it turns out they are sending my backordered plant for no additional shipping. She also said they are working on finding an alternative to the packing peanuts to help with the loose plants situation AND that they'd compensate me if any plants didn't survive. I'm still disappointed that the experience was not as wonderful as I'd come to expect. I'm not sure I'll order again until they have sorted out a better way to ship.
Positive tpaulat
Portland, OR
April 21, 2013
I recently placed my first ever order with Annie's and it arrived as scheduled, but several of the 8 plants I ordered were very damaged, a shipping issue I am sure as they were well-packed to begin their journey, it seemed. On arrival some were pushed through to the underside of the container and had broken leaves - they must have endured quite a ride because the packaging was great.

I wrote and sent photos to Annie's asking what could be done, I really wanted the plants not necessarily a refund. They promptly wrote back offering to replace all the damage plants, even though I suggested only a few. They arrived the second time in fantastic condition, no charge, healthy happy plats - I am a happy happy customer and will definitely order from them again. Kudos to Annie's for their great follow up and customer service.
Positive lyle_bonent
Umatilla, OR
April 20, 2013
Excellent on-line vendor. Prices somewhat higher, but the plants come in excellent condition and are well worth the price. This is the first time purchasing from this site. I will be a repeat customer