The scoop on 'Annie's Annuals and Perennials'

Annie's Annuals and Perennials

Annie's Annuals and Perennials has 2385 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Annie's Annuals and Perennials is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

801 Chesley Ave.
Richmond, California 94805 (United States)

Phone: 888.266.4370
Fax: 800.819.5913

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Annie's Annuals and Perennials at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive mpmorey
Lakewood, WA
March 27, 2017
I was blown away with the new plant packing methods that Annie's Annuals used for my latest order! No soil spilled, no damage to the plants, not even a bruised leaf! I actually took pictures and posted them to my Master Gardeners Face Book page. Not only does Annie's Annuals have fabulous, UNUSUAL plants, their prices are quite reasonable! I will be a rerurn customer for years to come. Their catalog is gorgeous, their web site is amazing!
Positive amritarosa
Portland, OR
March 24, 2017
I ordered 2 Mandragora Officinarum from Annie's this spring and have been very impressed with both the service and conditions of shipping. The plants were shipped and arrived on the days that Annie's said they would, described in the ordering process. They arrived in an extremely sturdy package in great condition. Mandrakes are notoriously fussy and fragile plants, and I fully expected to receive plants who had dropped their leaves and gone into full pout mode after spending a couple of days in transit. Instead, they are both upright, perky and green, and have shown no signs of shock since their arrival. I know that the shipping costs seem high to some people, but I am more than happy to pay the extra bit for plants that are packed with care and arrive in such good condition, especially if the plants themselves are a bit of an investment. Thank you Annie's Annuals and Perennials! I will be ordering from you again in future.
Positive Mastergardenerv
Brooklyn, NY
March 17, 2017
Hi all, I'm the master gardener for prospect heights community farm in Brooklyn for the last 20 years. I have also been a volunteer for Brooklyn botanical garden( Greenbridge outreach ) for the last 12 years. I love Annie's Annuals. Their selection is a thrill for those of us with a wandering palate and a must have nature with no room to stratify!!. To make it even better they arrive in robust health. Just top notch. If I sound really pleased it's because in my arrogance I waived responsibility as it's been in the 60's & 70's in Brooklyn this Feb./march. Annie's had the foresight to personally write me and gently suggest might I want to postpone my shipment? Convinced ( what Gardener isn't?) that I was right I said," no. Ship them. ". Then we got 7" of ice that has stayed. They arrived right quick& just beautiful. Thank you Annie's Annuals.
Positive RSRPAC
Houston, TX
March 14, 2017
I was a little hesitant to commit to the pricey 2-day shipping. However, I have never seen such superior packing of any plant order! There was not a wilted or yellow leaf on any of the plants. The soil was moist and undisturbed. It's as if I had just picked the plants off a bench at the nursery. The 2 day shipping is not cheap but given the extreme care and attention given to protect the plants during shipping it is worth it! The plants were lush, healthy and growing. Could not ask for better. Thank you and keep up the wonderful work!
Positive Lysmata2
Crescent City, FL
March 12, 2017
Very inventive shipping techniques, and well worth the price of shipping! FedEx could punt that box through a field goal, and the plants would all arrive undamaged, with all their soil intact, and yet still easy to remove from their packing! Excellent! Oh yeah, and Annie's is a great place to locate all those hard-to-find varieties of plants. Not stuff you'll find at your big box retailer, or even local nursery.
Positive cynwren
Datil, NM
February 27, 2017
I can always count on Annie's. The plants arrive in excellent condition every time. They are never root bound and I haven't had any failures.
Twice, due to weather problems. the plants have been a day late and both times they sent me an e-mail explaining the situation before I even expected the plants.
Very professional service.
Joan Hardie
Aptos, CA
Positive BobMackie44
Apple Valley, CA
February 25, 2017
We have always had a positive experience with Annie's Annuals.

Plants arrived in good condition with adequate protection. All plants appear to be healthy and good shipping size on arrival. We will keep ordering.

Best plant (or my favorite) is the Octopus Agave from our first order. Very cool.
Positive Shellyjelly
Castro Valley, CA
February 13, 2017
I have purchased plants from Annies Annuals both in the physical garden and online. Friday, I received two shipments and I cannot tell you happy I was when I opened the boxes. Each and every plant was in excellent condition, happy and had I been in the nursery, ones I would have chosen myself. They were also wrapped beautifully! Really, it was rather sad to remove their paper wrap and release them from their protective temporary homes to my garden! Not only are they wrapped individually to prevent dirt spills but then they are arranged in a cardboard carrier, with two taller sides to further protect the plants from becoming damaged. Annies goes above and beyond to ensure their plants arrive in the same condition as when they leave the nursery, excellent!

They are now in the ground and happy! Thanks to the staff at Annies for their care and excellent packing!

Shelly

Negative beaucoup
Meridian, ID
February 10, 2017
Annies Annuals plants are grown with tender care, as so reflected in their upper-end cost. That cost I can overlook due to the quality. What I can't overlook are the ridiculously high shipping fees. Was preparing my order today, and though short it was, have decided I will no longer pay that much, when I could purchase at least twice the amount of same plants at a local nursery, and still pay less. Annies offers no relief with discount coupons like a lot of companies do. Also, their website states that you can choose the date you wish to have them shipped, which is incorrect... THEY select to prepare it to ship on the date your place your order. Of course right now is way too early in the season. Should you wait until later to order, the plants you want have been depleted.
Company representative comment on February 14, 2017:
On Feb 14, 2017 10:34 AM, Annie\'s Annuals and Perennials responded with:

We thank you very much for your feedback. We have tried diligently to be as fair as possible with our shipping structure and custom, carefully designed packaging so that plants arrive in excellent shape. We know this is not the cheapest way possible to get plants to customers, but from our 10 years of experience and many trials and tests, it is the best way to make sure they are alive and thriving when they arrive at their destination. We grow many annuals and wildflowers that will not withstand more than a couple of days in a dark box, and so we ship all plants next day or 2-day (depending on location). In your case, your plants would arrive in Idaho within two business days and shipping would be 13.95 for up to 8 plants and 18.95 for 9-12 plants.

If we were shipping anything other than highly perishable plant
material, we could certainly find a way to ship it cheaper. But since we grow an unusual assortment of plants - many available nowhere else - this is the best way to ensure our plants thrive right out of the box and customers are successful growing them.

So far as stock being depleted - we grow multiple crops throughout the year of all of the plants that appear in our catalog. If it's too cold to order where you live now, please know that new crops continue to be grown and will be available for sale later in the season. A few crops may sell out early and some annuals and wildflowers have a limited growing season, but the vast majority of plants will be available when you are ready to order.

Please do not hesitate to give us a call if you have any questions or
concerns. We can take your order by phone and let you know of any current promotions or discounts that may help with shipping.
1-888-266.4370

Positive JerryCopeland
Santa Maria, CA
December 6, 2016
I made 2 purchases during 2016. Not too sure about what I would receive BUT the plants received were excellent looking and definitely well raised. Both plants were California native plants. One was a succulent. The other my favorite native Salvia species.
In both cases the plants came in well constructed packaging and was easy to take apart to get the plants out for repotting.
My major hesitation was in whether or not my culture would prove successful in the transplanting from Annie's Annuals growth media. I am delighted to confirm that the transplanting was successful and I attribute this to the health and strength of the plants received.
Positive wjdemarest
San Francisco, CA
November 23, 2016
Anisodontea sp. 'Strybing Beauty' self-sows like crazy!! I love it. And I love Annie's!
Negative hlibebe
St Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b)
September 21, 2016
Wish I had a positive experience with Annie's, but I don't-even neutral would be nice.

I placed two orders with Annie's online after reading several positive reviews on Dave's Garden. First order was on 6/24, and then second order on 7/16. First shipment was packaged nicely and arrived as expected. Second shipment looked a bit tossed, and few items dislodged from their little plastic containers. Most plants looked healthy-small, but healthy. This is the good part.

The frustrating part:

Twice I ordered 2 Psoralea fleta @ $12.95 each (just over $50 spent here), and I had attempted to email them about additional care for this particular plant since there were no additional information available (besides what's posted online). No response from Annie's.

In my first order, I got two Psoralea fleta. They were each planted in a large 24" container along side the other plants I ordered from Annie's, and placed inside my lanai where there's shade and a nice breeze from the lake. But they showed signs of heat fatigue after a day (leaves were a little wilted and stalk was droopy), so I babied this particular plant by moving them both indoors. These plants were placed by the window and watered or misted lightly. After one week, one of the Psoralea fleta dried up and died. I was sadden but had not given up trying, so I order two more Psoralea fleta and emailed Annie's for help or tips on growing this plant. No response from Annie's, and I don't have the time to hunt them down via phone for an answer (considering the slight time difference and work obligations).

Several of the plants from the first order fail to thrive, and one by one they died on me. Only three plants are hanging on from that first order.

By the time the second order arrived, the second Psoralea fleta dried up and died. I planted the two new Psoralea fleta in a smaller 14" container and kept them strictly indoors by the window. After a week, another Psoralea fleta hit the sack and just recently the last Psoralea fleta has gone to meet its maker. Of the 5 Ceanothus varieties I order, two are still alive. The Annabelle Hydrangea is still growing, and the 2 Echium are hanging on-sad looking but still greenish. The red buckwheat and one of the lavender never quite made it after arriving (part of second order) as those had came dislodged in the shipment. Everything else listed below (besides what I just mentioned) are pretty much dead. After either a few days or weeks of tediously handling and caring for these plants they just never thrived.

3934 Rosemary - 'Huntington Carpet' 1@$7.95 DEAD
4240 Ceanothus thyrsiflorus 'Yankee Point' 1@$9.95 DEAD
1485 Eriogonum grande "Red Buckwheat" 1@$8.95 DEAD
3480 Lavandula 'Provence'"Lavender" 2@$7.95 DEAD
2994 Scleranthus "Australian Astroturf"2 @$7.95 DEAD

Total of $338 (includes shipping)

Was I aware Annie's had a return policy of some sort? Yes, after I looked at their website to get an email address for them. It basically says, you need to contact them ASAP and send the dead plant back for a refund. But I wasn't looking for that, I just wanted gardening tips for these sad little plants. Besides, sending all these dead plants back from Florida to California would cost me more than they were worth.

Was I disappointed they didn't respond? Extremely, considering they had such great reviews. Of all the other online gardening websites I've ordered from (whom I research extensively prior to ordering) Annie's was the first to never respond.

Why write the review now? Because I'm calmer and I would like other buyers to beware that unless they have a green house to house these plants or are prepared to baby the hell out of these plants they are wasting their time and money. Several months ago when the plants kept dying one after the other, it really did make me sad and question if I had grew a black thumb of sorts. But, when I take into account all the plants that have died this summer almost all of them are from Annie's. This year, I ordered a few plants from Niche Garden, almost 50 rose bushes (49 to be exact) from Chamblee Rose, several peony from Cricket Hill- even grabbed plants from the local Lowe's, tons more from Home Depot, and various other plants from local mom and pop nurseries. But combined dead plants from ALL these other places are 4! FOUR! And they were planted in the yard-not babied in my lanai or inside my home like the plants from Annie's. Lost an annabelle hydrangea from Niche Garden to the Florida summer sun, two rose bushes to wet feet after the hurricanes came by, and one blue star juniper shrub to spider mites. So please don't think this is just a bad case of the black thumbs.

Wanted to like Annie's so very bad. They had such cool plants, the prices are cheap, the website is very user friendly, shipping is great, packaging is pretty good, so what went wrong? Why are their plants failing to thrive? Why aren't they supportive with growing their plants or offer any helpful growing tip to the gardener who purchased plants from them? When I emailed Chamblee they responded in a few days-which was fine, I know we all work. I completely understand that young plants need more pampering and it's not the nursery's fault some plants fail to thrive, but almost ALL the plants have died? Under meticuous care and conditions? And almost all of them are from Annie's? (No, Annie's didn't kill my plants, but one does have to question why their plants? Why is it mainly their plants that have failed to thrive?)

So, to save myself from more heartache, I don't plan on ordering from Annie's anymore. You have been warned.

May the gardening gnome be with you guys! :)
Negative aimeej
Albuquerque, NM
August 27, 2016
First let me say that I have ordered many plants fro Annie's in the past and most have been healthy and are doing well. I would love to continue ordering plants, but the shipping costs are now so high that I can't justify paying more than $11 for a small 4 inch pot. I live 2 states away and $26.56 shipping for 5 plants is, in my opinion, ridiculous. Sorry Annie, you have a fantastic number of hard to find plants that I want, but I can no longer afford you.
Positive carolstropicals
Bellaire, TX
July 21, 2016
What a Great Company !!
I bought 2 plants. Their container and wrapping were Excellent. In fact, the best I have had out of all my online plant purchases.
I received one of these plants last year from another company in a smaller container. I had to move it to a slightly larger size and it died.
The containers "Annies" plants came in were oversized. I didn't have to move this replacement plant from last year to a larger container.
Especially in the Heat. The packing and plants were Over the Top in
Quality and Wrapping.
Carol Smith.
Positive skyg1831
Lynbrook, NY
July 14, 2016
A couple of the plants arrived damaged likely from the heat enroute, but I knew it was risky ordering plants during this time of year and when much of the country was in a heatwave. So except for a few tips of these plants that suffered damage, the rest of the plant is fine and I know they'll recover easily.

great packing. Shipment arrived as communicated!
Positive azsilvia
Tempe, AZ (Zone 9b)
July 8, 2016
I've ordered twice from Annies. I've received an order of purple tree collards for myself and friends and an order that included grape soda trees (Psoralea fleta), aloes, and yacon. All plants were thriving and arrived in perfect shape with barely any soil displaced on their trek to the desert. I'm looking forward to future orders arriving in my mail box. I only wish I could go there in person someday.
Positive Marysophia
Port Townsend, WA
July 7, 2016
Order shipped promptly. Careful packaging, the best I've seen in fragile plant care. Sensible materials use. Plants wrapped so no soil got loose. Also Annie's Annuals carries
plants difficult to locate --able to get Asclepias speciosa.
Good experience in every way. Mary Robson
Positive doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
June 19, 2016
We've gotten their catalog for years and finally ordered. It makes more sense to order from the website and use the "available now" list because then you get your stuff right away. The plants were huge and very well packaged. We got some roses we'd been looking for and they were giant and much cheaper than the little cuttings you have to pay $20+ for elsewhere. We are very happy and will certainly order again. Our only problem is, sadly, most of their plants aren't hardy here.
Positive cspier
Weimar, CA
June 13, 2016
I love the new packing system! The plants were always packed to protect them well, but now they are also easy to unpack – no scissors necessary, and I don’t risk damaging them when unpacking. I also appreciate that the soil fills the pots, and I don’t have to try to fill up the soil when unpacking as I used to have to do when they sent them in bags in their pots. Now I can unpack them late after work without fear of them drying out for lack of soil before I plant them.
Positive katoly
Mead, WA
June 2, 2016
I have purchased plants online before and had terrible experience! I hesitated to do so again, but was wonderfully surprised by my purchase from ANNIES !! The plants were robust and good size, and were packed so lovingly. I have never seen such care in readying plants for shipment!! They are growing rapidly and was so happy that the plant choices were so varied! Thank you ANNIES for your commitment to the Customer!! I will be back! Kathy Olson Washington state.
Positive mglory44
Holliston, MA
May 31, 2016
My order of plants came in one box. 8 Plants were packed beautifully in separate containers with individual cardboard and plastic to keep the soil moist and in place. The plant material was in beautiful condition...great root balls, great color and no rot or blackened parts. I was very impressed with their products compared to other mail order companies I have received.
Positive LouiTucker
San Jose, CA
May 30, 2016
They recently upgraded their packaging and it is wonderful! It's so easy to get the plants out of the box. My hat's off to the engineer/designer who figured that out!
Positive Dawnzilla78
Simpsonville, SC
May 13, 2016
I was SO thrilled at the selection and variety available.. And my plants all arrived in PERFECT condition all the way over here in South Carolina! I'm now a customer for life! You can't go wrong with Annie's!
Positive hopseed
Los Angeles, CA
May 9, 2016
I discovered Annie's Annuals via Dave's Garden. It's been a great source of California native plants which are hard to find locally. The plants shipped were pretty small but arrived perfectly intact and have done amazingly well. These guys know what they are doing. I have ordered mostly indigenous milkweeds and am now looking at gorgeous, robust Asclepius speciosa in bloom.
We also had the pleasure of visiting the nursery on a recent trip to San Francisco and can confirm that it is not only well-managed but a spectacular place.
Positive Botsi
Puyallup, WA
May 4, 2016
They have a beautiful website and catalogue. On both web site and catalogue they print photos of the plants individuality and in a bed together with with the other plants on the page. It is such a good idea!
I ordered four plants and expected the tiny little plants that I have recieved from mail order companies over the last twenty years. Not only were these plants large and healthy, they were packed beautifully. I was able to plant my flowers with confidence! I will recommend Annies Annuals and Perennials to everyone I know.
Positive rddjgarden
Bristol, FL
May 2, 2016
I had a very good experience with this nursery. The plants arrived very well-packed and healthy, especially considering their cross country trip. The plants were all the expected size or larger. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I'm ready to order again!
Positive hoya9
Tucson, AZ
April 29, 2016
Annie's Annuals and Perennials is a pure delight! They have excellent quality plants, great customer service, perfect packing, and do all they say. Have had three orders come through nicely, and am very satisfied with the plants. In my opinion, they are among the top best online sellers, and I speak from considerable past experience. I would recommend them to anyone who would ask.
Negative Thescann
Eastlake, OH
April 18, 2016
I've ordered from Annie's annuals twice now. The first time I was mostly disappointed with the sizes of plants given the great reviews. I order a lot of mail order plants both professionally and personally so I know what is typical. My second order that I placed most recently was also pretty disappointing. The pots that they send are on the large side for mail order but the plants are pretty small. I got some sea holly that were just little babies not rooted well and just dwarfed in their tiny pots. They would have faired better in 2 inch pots. Everything could have been growing well or better in 2-3 inch pots.
Company representative comment on May 2, 2016:
On May 2, 2016 3:10 PM, Annie\'s Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hi Thescann - We are sorry you are disappointed with the size of the plants you received. We strive to send out healthy, well-rooted plants and carefully monitor growth for each crop, waiting until they are big enough to ship. In the event that a crop was made available too early, or that your plants arrived too small, we would very much like the opportunity to hear your feedback and work something out with you. Please give us a call at 1.888.266.4370 or send an email to contact@anniesannuals.com.

Positive alicenick
Fairview, OR
April 8, 2016
Annie's is the best internet ordering plant service ever! I have tried several other plant sites and found them to be deficient in shipping in a timely manner and also shipping less than quality plants. With Annie's my plants arrived exactly as promised and in great shape. packed expertly to preserve the integrity of the plants! Annie's has a lifetime customer now!
Al
Positive OlympiaAnne
Olympia, WA
March 9, 2016
Ordered some plants from Annie's a few weeks ago and they arrived healthy and beautiful. Included was the print edition of the spring catalog which is lovely and has given me much pleasure to browse through. Thank you very much.

Anne
Positive shemori
Fullerton, CA
March 9, 2016
When I received my plants from Annie's I was amazed. I have placed plant orders through other mail order companies but none of them ever got this response from me. Below is the note I sent to Annie's when the plants arrived. Good job, well done!!

All I keep p saying is WOW! The two plants arrived today and they are the largest and most beautiful plants I have ever received by mail order. The packaging was also better than other companies. Way to go, and thank you! I can't wait to plant them and watch them mature and bloom!
Sherrie
Positive abutilons101
February 29, 2016
I have never ordered from Annie's before, but because her prices were very reasonable, and Annie's was the only site that carry the flowers that I was looking for, I decided to give it a try. From my experiences when ordering on line, I did not expect my plants to be very big upon delivery. I was very pleasantly surprise when my plants from Annie's arrived. Not only was it on time, the package was beautiful. When I opened the box, to my amazement, each plant was lovingly placed in it own divider. The plants were very healthy and tall. When I repotted my plants, the root system was very well developed. Also, when I called Annie's customer service with a question, Patricia was very pleasant and helpful. I just want to say that Annie's annuals has a loyal customer for life. I will definitely order from Annie's again and again.
Positive srhallrn
Ashland, OR
February 25, 2016
This is addressing the excellent service you have given me regarding the 4 little DRAMA QUEEN poppies which arrived here in Ashland, OR looking limp and not very happy. Your packing job was as great as ever but after a few days 2 died with another one sickly and terminal.
I have received other mail orders from you and the plants are always meticulously packed and all other orders have had the plants perfect.
I am waiting now for the replacements which I know will be just right.
Both Julia and Patricia in the mail order office have been courteous and efficient in addressing my concerns which is a true reflection on the attitude of service Annies always seems to value.
Thanks everyone
SRHall

Positive AliGfromSC
Soquel, CA
January 20, 2016
I have purchased many plants and succulent from Annies annuals and they have set the Bar on the proper way to ship plants without any damage or issues each time. I have not met the staff at Annies annuals, but with the personable emails we have exchanged, they make me feel comfortable buying anything from them and they are so kind. The next time I'm in their area I'm stopping by for sure! Thanks Annies annuals for all that you do!
Positive lagoondon
Encinitas, CA
December 23, 2015
I have bought quite a few plants from Annie's over the last few years, and I have been consistently impressed with the quality of the plants. One time the box arrived and the plants had been damaged. The box had obviously been thrown around in transit. Annie's replaced them right away. The 4" pot size is just right. Shipping live plants in soil does cost something, but Annie's is the only place that has some of the California native plants that I want, so to me it is well worth the cost.
Negative sybilshappylife
Huntington Beach, CA (Zone 10b)
December 17, 2015
Posted on December 9, 2015, updated December 17, 2015
Posted on November 29, 2015, updated December 9, 2015
My first batch of plants from Annie\\\'s are all growing and doing what they do. I was very impressed with the care taken in packing the plants. There are complaints and negative reivews, of course, but you need to take the time to read the FAQs at Annie\\\'s site. Its very clear that they ship ONLY 4\\\" containers, so some plants will be very small, but I\\\'ve gotten larger plants from local sources that don\\\'t have nearly the quality that Annie\\\'s do. They do not hold plants for planting time in your zone, but you have a choice - you can have them shipped or wait and order later. I don\\\'t consider it the seller\\\'s responsibility to know when I should plant something - that\\\'s my job (for good or ill).

I do agree that the constant cheeriness and the perfect wonderfulness of every plant description gets a tad sticky, but I never rely on just one source. I check everything in Sunset Western Garden Guide before I order it. And then there\\\'s Dave\\\'s Garden as a resource for more info, too.

I am awaiting my next order from Annie\\\'s with great anticipation. Its good, sometimes, to live in a 12-month growing season zone. Syb
On December 9th, 2015, sybilshappylife changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

December 8, 2015 received the eagerly awaited second batch of plants from Annie\'s. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Instead of wrapping the root balls in that paper and enclosing the entire pot/plant in the plastic sleeves which protect the seedlings from contact with the cardboard box and prevent the pots from tipping over, they used nothing but a piece of paper to cover the top of the pot, secured by rubber bands. The root ball was not protected at all, the rubber bands popped loose and wrapped around the seedlings resulting in broken stems and leaf tips. The soil was not encased so whenever the box was tipped the soil fell out all over the bottom of the box and the stems went crashing into the cardboard. I\'ve reported this to Annie\'s, along with my extreme disappointment, and hope they will go back to packing the plants as they advertise on their website. This way there is no protection for the plant at all. Syb

I was so excited and happy to find a mail order source that got such good reviews here and actually seemed to live up to those reviews and now.... huh. I would happily wait another month for my plants if that would give them time to do the job properly.
On December 17th, 2015, sybilshappylife changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I have finally received a reply from Annie's regarding their packaging method. They are changing to the cheaper and less time-intensive method, which I find totally inadequate, therefore the negtive.

Hi Carol,
We will process your refund today.

.....

Annie's is changing the way it packages its plants in order to save time and money. We are still in the testing mode of the new process.

......

Luckily, for our other customers, the incidents of plant damage have been few and far between.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy Holidays,
Patricia

Company representative comment on December 23, 2015:
On Dec 23, 2015 3:30 PM, Annie\'s Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hi sybilshappylife,

We apologize your shipment was damaged in transit and understand your disappointment. We don’t think we handled your concerns with the careful attention you deserved and we would love a chance to talk to you over the phone. We’ve left you a phone message, please feel free to give us a call back at your convenience.

Please know that our goal is to devise the best packaging possible to protect plants from the vagaries of weather, transport and potential mishandling by carriers and we are always looking for ways to improve it. We have been experimenting with our “new” method of shipping plants for at least the last 6 months to the East Coast and have found that fewer plants arrive damaged with this system when mishandled. We have found that plants actually fall out of the pot less when we do not disturb the rootball by taking them out of their pots to wrap them in paper. While this method requires an additional cardboard insert and is therefore more costly, we think it will eventually be the most effective way to get plants to our customers in the best and most damage-free condition.

However, whenever plants are damaged in transit, please be assured that we will always take full responsibility for it and either issue a prompt credit or refund, as we did in your case.

We thank you so much for your feedback,
Annie's

Positive sehanley
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
December 3, 2015
Posted on February 7, 2014, updated December 3, 2015
Annie\'s Annuals is the mail-order nursery by which I judge all others. Their website is lovely, but designed primarily for ease of use. Drop-down menus allow one to search for plant material using multiple criteria. Items never mysteriously \"disappear\" off one\'s shopping cart. Navigation from the homepage, to plant lists, to the shopping cart and back again is easy. Even image-heavy pages load quickly. Annie\'s complete historical inventory--including plants not currently available, but those offered in the past or being cultivated for future sale--is readily accessible, which is a treat. Real live horticulturalists and plant enthusiasts contribute descriptions, cultural information, and glossy photographs for each individual species and variety. The website itself is a fantastic resource, above and beyond its utilitarian purpose.

I\'m very keen on the bread-and-butter material they offer, but I really enjoy the rotating selection of South African bulbs, bromeliads, and succulents. In general, even the rarest and most squee-worthy stuff is available for at least a full week or two consecutively, which suggests that production and sales staff are earning their keep.

The packaging for mail order material is fantastic. It\'s absolutely worth the small \"handling\" fee associated with shipping costs. When being pulled for orders, rootballs are gently transferred into thin mil plastic, then inserted in the appropriate liner (good quality, heavy for their size, and constructed to be used again and again). All liners are inserted into snug, secure punched cardboard, through which the top growth emerges, allowing for air circulation during shipment. From the uppermost leaf or bud down to the rootball, Annie\'s shipping and packaging department ensures that everything is protected from being smashed or torn. On more than one occasion, I\'ve had a box arrived looking tattered. The material inside belied this appearance.

Out of many orders I\'ve placed, I\'ve had one notable problem. A perennial arrived with its primary stem broken. Necrotic tissue (black, and a bit woody) at the actual site of damage suggested that this happened prior to shipping. I followed the instructions on my invoice, contacted customer service by phone, and they suggested that I plant the perennial as planned to see if the secondary bud would push out new growth. They assured me that if the plant failed, they\'d be happy to replace it for me or provide a refund or credit. A month later, the plant pushed out a bevy of tender, young stems, and thereafter it\'s thrived. I was happy to learn that Annie\'s has protocols in place to handle such a situation, and the staff member with whom I spoke was gracious, helpful, and efficient.

I admire their integrity, and I love the way they run their business. If I lived a bit closer, I would be happy to visit their nursery and demonstration gardens in person. Second-hand gossip from local plant nerds suggests that the grounds are clean, staff are well-educated, and the gardens are wonderfully maintained.
On December 3rd, 2015, sehanley added the following:

Since my original review, I've purchased plants from Annie's by mail order at least half a dozen times, and the service and rotating inventory keep getting better and more interesting, respectively.

The last order I received (after a busy Thanksgiving weekend) is my first experience with the modest upgrade to their already outstanding packaging. The custom partitions are sturdier by far, they cut down on waste from supplementary paper, and they're easier to dissemble when you're aching to get hold of your plants. There's less risk in damaging them now, and the streamlining seems less wasteful. Really nice surprise.

I also had a lovely phone conversation with Kathleen from their mail order service department on cyber Monday, and things sounded delightfully organized and calm on their end, which indicates to me a happy, well-supported staff. I love doing business with an outfit that treats employees well and fairly. Kudos to them!
Positive bibbykitty
San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b)
October 21, 2015
I am giving them a positive even though the plants were tiny, shipping outrageously expensive and plants high for the size.
They have plants I can't find elsewhere so I would buy from again but only plants that are difficult to find elsewhere.
Positive Plantcrazylady
Santa Cruz, CA
October 14, 2015
Applause for Annie's! I have been purchasing Annie's plants from my local nursery and garden centers for many years (I live less than three hours away from their nursery, so a wide selection of their plants have long been available at nearby retail outlets). Over the last couple years, however, my local outlets have cut back on overall plant selection -- not just Annie's -- and with our drought here in California, plant maintenance at these businesses has gone downhill. So when I decided to tear out and replant my large, abandoned garden and replant it with mostly water-wise plants and wildlife attractors, I turned to ordering the bulk of my plantstock online. At first I didn't think to order from Annie's because she sells so much stock locally, so I purchased more than 100 plants from another (online-only) California vendor. He ships his (frequently pot-bound) plants wrapped in many layers of paper and stacked up on top of each other in too-large boxes, so they arrive looking haggard and bruised (and are occasionally broken). I thought that having to nurse plants in the ICU for a week or two was just the price of ordering online. But then Annie's had a good sale, and the delivery fee (admittedly high) suddenly made more sense to me, so I purchased almost 80 plants at one go. And Holy Calendula was I impressed! The plants arrived looking bright, plump, cheerful, and ready to roll. Every single one. Out of all of that stock there were maybe two dropped leaves. The plants are shipped in corregated cardboard trays, with cardboard collars keeping them firmly in place. There is NO stacking, and no bruising, and not one of the plants was pot-bound. One thing to be aware of is that some plants are shipped in plastic pots and can be held back for planting later on, but some have their roots wrapped in paper and must be planted out or potted up within three days. If you order you might want to find out ahead of time how your plants will ship. As for how my mail-order Annie's plants have perfomed, they are thriving. I did lose a couple campanulas and a Francoa ramosa in a horrid heat wave that hit soon after planting (my fault, I think, for overwatering them in the heat, and campanulas just don't seem to do well in my garden), but everything else rooted out perfectly. And regarding the marvelously whimsical, groovy nature of the Annie's catalog, and the hyper-upbeat tone of plant descriptions -- both of which one rather rigid reviewer from the other coast disparaged here -- I love that entire vibe. But then I am Left Coast by birth and spirit, so these are my people!
Positive brianaucuba
PEQUEA, PA (Zone 6b)
September 4, 2015
I have ordered from Annie's several times and have not been disappointed. Their packaging is second to none. They have unusual plants that I have not been able to find anywhere else. The one time that I had a problem with plants that were damaged in transit Annie's replaced them in a flash, no questions asked. Their shipping charges are in line with other reputable nurseries on the west coast that ship to me here near Philadelphia.