The scoop on 'Annie's Annuals and Perennials'

Annie's Annuals and Perennials

Annie's Annuals and Perennials has 2373 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Annie's Annuals and Perennials is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

801 Chesley Ave.
Richmond, California 94805 (United States)

Phone: 888.266.4370
Fax: 800.819.5913

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Annie's Annuals and Perennials at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative Leishman15
Berkeley, CA
March 31, 2014
My parents love the place and took me there with them (I am an adult and it's obvious).

The people who worked there focused on my parents, so I had no help with in finding or choosing their vegetables and decided to give up on trying to figure out their fruit selection. Both selections were pretty bad, but the worst was their spotlight selection of passion fruits.

They listed three varieties and mentioned only one had fruit that could safely be eaten, but didn't mention the name. I had to deduce that the variety that mentioned fruit on the tag (barely) was the right one. I asked for help from the person who had just finished talking to my dad about flowers and he had no idea. I asked if there was someone else who would and he said he doubted it.

I pointed out the price, even on sale, was a bit high, but my dad said it was because these were quality plants. Yet just after putting the plants in a sunny spot (it was early August) and watering them my fig dropped its leaves, my basil and onions bolted. My oregano is still sorry-looking (It's the end of March), my remaining onion hasn't grown even a tiny bulb, and my passion flower hasn't grown even a leaf nub.

The only thing that did well was my chives, thyme, sage, and a pepper plant. No peppers, though it was said to be the right size and age to grow them and there's peppers all over my neighbor's pepper of the same species.

At least the herbs taste good.
Positive sassyelephant
Fresno, CA
March 13, 2014
I have now ordered from Annie's Annuals 6 times. Each time I am more than pleased with the plants. They always arrive well packaged, and in great condition. So far I have not had any problems with any of the plants I have ordered. You just have to give each one what it needs, and it is happy. I will very soon be traveling to the nursery and am very excited.
Positive shauna1219
Tampa, FL (Zone 9b)
March 12, 2014
I received my first order from Annie's about a week ago and I was pleasantly surprised. The plants were much larger than I was expecting and were packaged with great care. There was almost zero damage from the shipping, other than 1 single broken leaf and they were shipped from California to Florida. The plants were potted and have grown quite considerably since I received them. I have received another order from a different nursery around the same time and the growth rate on the Annie's plants has been drastically better than the other plants.
Positive sehanley
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
February 7, 2014
Annie's Annuals is the mail-order nursery by which I judge all others. Their website is lovely, but designed primarily for ease of use. Drop-down menus allow one to search for plant material using multiple criteria. Items never mysteriously "disappear" off one's shopping cart. Navigation from the homepage, to plant lists, to the shopping cart and back again is easy. Even image-heavy pages load quickly. Annie's complete historical inventory--including plants not currently available, but those offered in the past or being cultivated for future sale--is readily accessible, which is a treat. Real live horticulturalists and plant enthusiasts contribute descriptions, cultural information, and glossy photographs for each individual species and variety. The website itself is a fantastic resource, above and beyond its utilitarian purpose.

I'm very keen on the bread-and-butter material they offer, but I really enjoy the rotating selection of South African bulbs, bromeliads, and succulents. In general, even the rarest and most squee-worthy stuff is available for at least a full week or two consecutively, which suggests that production and sales staff are earning their keep.

The packaging for mail order material is fantastic. It's absolutely worth the small "handling" fee associated with shipping costs. When being pulled for orders, rootballs are gently transferred into thin mil plastic, then inserted in the appropriate liner (good quality, heavy for their size, and constructed to be used again and again). All liners are inserted into snug, secure punched cardboard, through which the top growth emerges, allowing for air circulation during shipment. From the uppermost leaf or bud down to the rootball, Annie's shipping and packaging department ensures that everything is protected from being smashed or torn. On more than one occasion, I've had a box arrived looking tattered. The material inside belied this appearance.

Out of many orders I've placed, I've had one notable problem. A perennial arrived with its primary stem broken. Necrotic tissue (black, and a bit woody) at the actual site of damage suggested that this happened prior to shipping. I followed the instructions on my invoice, contacted customer service by phone, and they suggested that I plant the perennial as planned to see if the secondary bud would push out new growth. They assured me that if the plant failed, they'd be happy to replace it for me or provide a refund or credit. A month later, the plant pushed out a bevy of tender, young stems, and thereafter it's thrived. I was happy to learn that Annie's has protocols in place to handle such a situation, and the staff member with whom I spoke was gracious, helpful, and efficient.

I admire their integrity, and I love the way they run their business. If I lived a bit closer, I would be happy to visit their nursery and demonstration gardens in person. Second-hand gossip from local plant nerds suggests that the grounds are clean, staff are well-educated, and the gardens are wonderfully maintained.
Positive jackstangle
La Conner, WA
January 17, 2014
I ordered 1 poppy plant. 1 week later it arrived, well packaged & looking good. I am impressed. Thanks Annie.
Positive bodyworkgoddess
Maryville, TN
August 2, 2013
After watching all of Annie's videos and absorbing the catalog I may have to admit that I have a garden crush on her and her plant knowledge. I held off on making a purchase because of the high shipping rate. I got off that fence about a week ago and placed a order, so glad I did. The plants arrived healthy and very well packaged. This order was for three different carnations they offer and a hat. The hat that arrived was not the one I ordered. Sent a e-mail and within minutes was responded to and the mistake was corrected. New hat on the way and a return ticket for the other hat being sent with it. I hope to fly out there next year for their Spring party and do shopping in person. Time to start saving my pennies...
Positive absinthe27
Albertville, MN (Zone 4b)
July 29, 2013
Ordered a number of plants from Annie's this spring and all have done very well after a short period of recovery from being shipped (except my poor Pink German Catchfly which was bitten off at the base by a rude critter just as it started to flower). My lupine was on backorder, but was shipped as soon as it was available, and I wasn't billed for that plant until they sent it.

I love the huge variety of unique plants that are offered and the whimsical catalogs and plant descriptions. I just wish I lived close enough to visit in-person; the nursery looks beautiful from any pictures I have seen.

Will definitely order again next year.
Negative birdied
Destrehan, LA
July 19, 2013
I ordered 8 plants from Annies. The packaging was very good.

However, I was very disappointed in the size and quality. 3 plants died within 2 days.

Company representative comment on July 30, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 5:49 PM, Annie's Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hi Birdied:

We are also disappointed to hear your plants did not make it! We guarantee plants arrive in excellent shape and ready to go in the ground. If you were unhappy for any reason, please drop us a line and give us a chance to fix the problem. We are always happy to help! 888.266.4370

Positive Fatbun
East Richmond Heights, CA
July 5, 2013
I was so happy to discover that Annie's Annual was about 10 minutes from where I live. My first visit was during their Spring Party and it was a very whimsical and creative atmosphere, especially with the hilarious fake cat poo flinging contest and the generous gift certificates given to winners. Annie seems like a very nice, genuine and fun person. However, the most impressive thing was all these beautiful flowers and edibles arranged in harmonious landscape design. As I walked around, talked to and observed their staff, I could really tell that this place was wonderful and a lot of care and patience were put in. I felt very confident in purchasing nice healthy and robust plants from here and would wholeheartedly support this local business. Many of my gardener friends from San Francisco and even my sister in San Jose all heard of and enjoy going to Annie's.
Positive debgar71
Granite Falls, NC
July 4, 2013
We just received our first order from Annie's. It was on time and packed to perfection. the plants were exquisite and we are getting ready to order more.

Far superior to anyone we have ordered from online.
Positive mommacat11
Stafford, VA (Zone 7a)
June 27, 2013
I made an online purchase a few days ago and although shipping was high.... $56 from CA to VA... I have never received plants that have been so well packed and BIG!
I will definitely be ordering from Annies again.

Deb in VA.
Positive KatyMac
So. Puget Sound, WA (Zone 8b)
June 7, 2013
Once again, I'm blown away by the size and health of the shipment of Rozanne geraniums I just received. Their packaging is superb. I think it would take a bomb to damage them. They shipped in four inch pots, but each plant was first wrapped in plastic. The soil was still moist when I received them. The plants are robust and half the plants are blooming already. Did I say I am pleased?
Positive icebird28
Coppell, TX (Zone 8a)
June 2, 2013
I received the 3rd shipment from Annies, I think. I'm guessing now, its about 30 plants. All are fine and most are thriving. I think some are still adjusting to being re-potted. I love the sweet peas, which I cannot grow from seed to save my life. I'm not sure about the posting about the peculiar packaging. I love the fact that they are packed in wet paper and in a baggie. I had some items on my wish list and religiously checked every day for an unusual item, until I finally ordered 2 of them. Sorry suckers! Except for the nicotiana with huge leaves, where a couple leaves are broken, everything arrived in great shape. I can tell Annie's grows their plants lovingly and take great care in their shipping. Perhaps my local shipping companies take greater care in delivering live plants than others. Love ANNIES!
Positive kpercy
Oakland, CA
May 23, 2013
I've found Annie's plants to be top quality, with friendly help if there's a problem (one order had a mispick). I'm surprised to hear about other people with shipping problems because I'm amazed at their meticulous shipping methods and how carefully the plants are protected with inserts. Over the years I've bought dozens of plants here and I don't think I've ever had one show up that was unhealthy or other than described; most of the plants I have that are showstoppers came from this nursery, which means not only are they great looking plants, but they're healthy and strong enough to survive my learning curve and the shade, dogs, pines, etc. Every gardener I know has top regard for this nursery, and that includes people who garden for a living.
Positive camarogirl
Wilsonville, NE
May 22, 2013
I am a first time Annie's customer, and I could not be any happier! I have been burned (badly) by other less than reputable online companies, and I can tell you, that the folks and plants from Annie's are just tops. EVERY email that I sent was responded to, and every question I had was answered. All in a courteous and expedient manner. I dealt with a wonderful lady named Michelle, and she couldn't have been more helpful. I know some folks have taken issue with the shipping charges, but personally I'd happily pay the shipping charges again. The plants arrived in wonderful fashion, looking as healthy as they would if they'd never been shipped. My only issue is that I don't have more "play money" to spend on more of their plants (hardly Annie's fault), haha. I will definitely be back! Thank you Michelle, and thank you to Annie's!!!!!! I highly, highly recommend Annie's Annuals to anyone who is online shopping for plants.
Positive MDepicci
Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a)
May 17, 2013
Posted on May 16, 2013, updated May 17, 2013
I ordered hundreds of dollars worth of stuff from Annie's. Much of it came in good condition. However, about 20-25 percent of plants arrived nearly dead. Most of them did end up dying, although I could revive a few. No other place I've ordered from has such a high failure rate, even giant discount places. Their packaging is awful. Some plants actually arrived on their side, or upside down and smothered in their container. In others, the soil fell out and roots were exposed. Or the soil was totally dry.

I emailed them a few days ago to tell them that there was a problem with the packaging. Also, I had not received some plants that were supposed to be in the order and I asked about them. I received a somewhat curt reply. She said she'd send me the date for shipment of replacement plants the next day. She also asked for more details of the shipping problems. She did not say anything about the plants that never arrived.

I wrote back detailing the problems with shipping. I didn't hear back. Yesterday I received more plants. Again, 20 percent of them were in really bad shape. I took photos of them just out of the box so she'd know what I was talking about. Most of the stems were broken off several of the plants, and others were wilted. I also said that she had not yet answered me about the plants that never arrived. I said I wanted an ETA for garden planning purposes.

This was the reply in its entirety: "I assure you we do ship good, healthy plants. Any plant that has backordered can be shipped as it grows big enough to ship. We can contact
you as that happens. The plants that fail can be replaced. Not to worry."

So, apparently, they do not believe their customers who tell them (and send them photos) that their plants arrived in bad shape. And they do not make a habit of either contacting their customers before shipment if stuff is backordered, nor do they try to guess when a new ship date will be. They will only let me know when it is ready to ship. I would certainly like the option of canceling if it will be a long time!

I wrote back expressing irritation, saying that when I order nursery plants, I want them to be reasonably reliable. I wish I could propagate all plants from seed, but I do not have time or space. I don't want to have holes and dying plants in my garden while I try to see if I can revive them. I gave a list of plants that have failed. I haven't heard back.

Every email I received has been curt, none have apologized. The sense I get from them is that I think I must have screwed up, because they couldn't possibly have. Or something. Their attitude is really mysterious. I suppose they are doing well enough that they are not particularly concerned about losing a customer!

It's frustrating, because I absolutely love annuals, and they have the by far the best selection of unusual annuals that I've been able to find. I would love to be able to shop there regularly. I spent a huge amount there this season, but obviously I will not again.

I called the mail order number and asked to speak to a manager to find out if it was indeed their policy not to inform customers about backorders, nor to give estimated ship dates. The person on the phone asked the name of the person I'd been emailing with. She said that person *was* a manager. So I guess that is their policy.

On May 17th, 2013, MDepicci changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Soon after I wrote this, the person with whom I was emailing gave me a detailed description of what would be replaced and when. Anything that could not be replaced was refunded. Some of the shipping costs were also refunded. I am satisfied.

Some plants I had ordered before this arrived today looking absolutely gorgeous. Which is kind of too bad, because I'm going to start buying up all their stuff again.
Positive Johnboy369
Fort Collins, CO
May 17, 2013
I just received my plants from annies and they look great. The shipping was a little pricey, however, the way they were packed makes up for it. No damage and hardly even any soil spilt during it's shipping. Thanks!
Positive joimack6953
Wheat Ridge, CO
May 10, 2013
I've looked at this website for a few years and was a bit hesitant ordering plants for Colorado from a California grower. This year I gave in and I'm so glad I did! My plants arrived impeccably packed and in perfect shape. Since they are perennials I'll see how they winter. And... I just placed my second order with Annie's!
Neutral lemurianne
Ida Grove, IA (Zone 5a)
May 10, 2013
Posted on May 8, 2013, updated May 10, 2013
Posted on September 12, 2011, updated May 8, 2013
I had the pleasure of visiting Annie's earlier this year and was really impressed by their "nursery", which is actually just plants being propagated out in the open air of a big remote lot in Richmond, CA! It was remarkable and shockingly beautiful. The prices are a little nuts, as is the shipping, which kept me from placing an order when I returned home to Iowa this Spring. But I succumbed this Fall and ordered 16 plants! They were packaged well, albeit peculiarly -- the root ball of each plant is removed from the pot, wrapped in wet paper and placed in a sandwich baggie. Then placed back in the pot. The pots are securely placed in cardboard frames made especially for securing these pots, 4 pots to a frame. Two frames per shipping box, filled to the brim with PACKING PEANUTS. I loathe packing peanuts, but I have to admit that all but one plant arrived in pristine condition. The one plant that did not arrive well was the one I most wanted: The purple angelica!! It unfortunately arrived with 2 of three stems broken and not looking at all happy to have been in a box at all. I've tried to trim it up, repot it with fresh soil, and placed it in some bright shade. I have my fingers crossed that it will recover. But I digress! For the most part I am very happy with the purchase, the packaging and the fast shipping. Annie's really does have a great selection and the plants are very healthy and they seem to be great people so I will most probably order again and recommend them to friends (at least the ones with deep pockets!).
On May 8th, 2013, lemurianne changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I feel so sad about changing my rating of Annie's, I still dream of the too few days I've spent at her absolutely fabulous nursery and the plants I've received in the past. I placed two orders this Spring and received the first of them today. First of all, the shipment packaging has changed -- there are no more packing peanuts, but there is nothing in their place!!! The plants are just free to fly and flit about the box in transit, AND THEY SURE DO. Some of the plants had come out of their containers, dropping their dirt all over everything else and losing leaves whilst no doubt being tossed about during their two day journey from Cali to Iowa. Upon tidying up the loose plants, I noticed one empty container. One of my plants has been "backordered", whatever that means...

As has been made obvious by everyone else, Annie's shipping charges are outrageous. I have never been charged so much shipping by another nursery, even ones that are shipping gallon containers!! Even ones that also ship 2nd day air from California!! Seriously, I got multiple packages today that were shipped on Monday from the west coast that cost way less and contain twice as many plants!!! Ahem.. so naturally, I order as many plants as possible from Annie's to make the crazy shipping charge worthwhile. Annies's has such a great selection that it's no trouble finding things I'd like! When they just don't send a plant, it's really annoying. I would have liked to have been contacted and given the opportunity to have something else put in its place. Most mail order companies that I have dealt with have contacted me if something wasn't ready or available to ship. I can only think of one exception, but their shipping was totally reasonable and fair so it didn't seem like a big deal.

Anyway, I'm unhappy. Maybe I wouldn't be so unhappy if Annie's hadn't set the bar so high in the first place. Also, my Bill Wallis geranium is but a wee little spot of a plant, NOT AT ALL what I have come to expect to receive from Annie's.

I'm so sad :(
On May 10th, 2013, lemurianne changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Since there was no response to an email that I sent regarding this order, I called and spoke to a wonderful person at Annie's. She was very sweet and apologetic and it turns out they are sending my backordered plant for no additional shipping. She also said they are working on finding an alternative to the packing peanuts to help with the loose plants situation AND that they'd compensate me if any plants didn't survive. I'm still disappointed that the experience was not as wonderful as I'd come to expect. I'm not sure I'll order again until they have sorted out a better way to ship.
Positive tpaulat
Portland, OR
April 21, 2013
I recently placed my first ever order with Annie's and it arrived as scheduled, but several of the 8 plants I ordered were very damaged, a shipping issue I am sure as they were well-packed to begin their journey, it seemed. On arrival some were pushed through to the underside of the container and had broken leaves - they must have endured quite a ride because the packaging was great.

I wrote and sent photos to Annie's asking what could be done, I really wanted the plants not necessarily a refund. They promptly wrote back offering to replace all the damage plants, even though I suggested only a few. They arrived the second time in fantastic condition, no charge, healthy happy plats - I am a happy happy customer and will definitely order from them again. Kudos to Annie's for their great follow up and customer service.
Positive lyle_bonent
Umatilla, OR
April 20, 2013
Excellent on-line vendor. Prices somewhat higher, but the plants come in excellent condition and are well worth the price. This is the first time purchasing from this site. I will be a repeat customer
Positive pterostyrax
Seattle, WA
April 17, 2013
When Annie's catalogue arrived I nearly tossed it because it is to my taste annoyingly cutesy. Too many fluffy words, not enough basic information. BUT when I took another look, I saw a really interesting collection of plants. And when the plants that I ordered arrived, they were healthy and well packed. Also, the "wish list" feature on the website works very well--so well that it will probably make you order more plants than you originally intended...
Positive art56
Buffalo, NY
April 17, 2013
My mother ordered 5 plants for me for my birthday. The plants arrived healthy and well packed. Soon after, one of the five plants began to wilt and looked near death. I emailed Annie's to see if they had any ideas of how I could try to save it. To my shock and delight they immediately offered to send me a brand new plant free of charge with free shipping. They also told me that the box could fit 3 more plants if I wanted to purchase a few more and it would still ship free. Of course I have a wish list about a mile long. So I called and put in my order. So happy with this superior customer service. Amazing job!! I will definitely order from them again.
Positive JoeyInOregon
Posted on April 8, 2013, updated April 17, 2013
Until recently, Annie's Annuals had very predictable service, which was excellent in every way. Packing was superior, and I had never received anything less than healthy plants in exceptional condition. My last two orders, which were placed recently, were very disappointing. One order consisted of four plants, but I received only one plant, which was a sweet pea. The packing list showed nothing for the three strawberry plants -- no back-order status or anything else. I thought perhaps they would be shipped separately, but the strawberry plants never arrived, so today I phoned to ask what happened to them. I was told that they weren't available when I placed the order, although there was nothing to indicate at the time of the order that they were not available. I asked the customer service rep I spoke to why they had not notified me of this and she was at a loss as to why I had not received an email letting me know to expect a delay. Another recent order arrived in deplorable shape. There were several plants, all of which were ragged and beat-up because the the packing carton did not contain the usual packing peanuts that I've come to expect. Most of the soil had fallen out of the individual containers and was lying at the bottom of the carton. I phoned to complain and was told that Annie's no longer uses the peanuts because customers have been complaining about them. Well, then, USE something else, for heaven's sake. One of the containers was completely overturned inside the carton, again due to a lack of protection. The customer service rep I was speaking too kept trying to put the blame on the shipper. I kept reminding her that the reason the plants were in such poor condition was not the fault of the shipper, but was the result of a very careless packing job. I've bought from Annie's for many years, but at this point, I'm going to rethink whether I'll use this nursery ever again.
On April 17th, 2013, JoeyInOregon changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I received a phone call from someone at Annie's, who offered me an apology, replacement of one of the plants that was so damaged from the poor packing job that it appears to be dying, and free shipping on a pending order. I'm once again very pleased with Annie's Annuals and will continue to purchase from this nursery.
Positive zelda64
Spring Hill, FL (Zone 9a)
April 9, 2013
I recently bought a couple plants from Annies. I bought a Psoralea pinnata "Kool-Aid Bush" and a Lessertia montana "Mountain Cancer Bush". They both came to me beautifully. They were shipped to me very quickly also. Michelle over there has been great. She answered my emails promptly and was just a pleasure to deal with. They have a wonderful selection of unusual plants and I look froward to ordering some more.
Positive cerealkiller
Ramtown, NJ
April 4, 2013
Posted on April 4, 2013, updated April 4, 2013
Posted on April 4, 2013, updated April 4, 2013
Great service. The company called me before shipping to make sure it was ok to ship since the weather in my area has been pretty bad. Can't ask for better personal service than that. The only negative I have is with the shipper who doesn't understand what "this side up" means and appears to have used the box as a kickball (maybe just frustrated as not being able to do that as a child). There was some very small breakage and some dirt over the inside of the box, but the company's good packaging kept the plants safe and they appear very healthy. I would use this company again without reservation.
On April 4th, 2013, cerealkiller added the following:

Actually, I am in Howell, NJ. Not sure why Ramtown is showing up.
On April 4th, 2013, cerealkiller added the following:

Just as an aside, I have read more than one comment about shipping charges which is more than annoying. We shop at these nurseries with the idea that we're looking for unique products that fit what would be our ideal gardens. You want to save money (or so you think) at big box entities that sell gallon cans of mundane plants that have been traumatized on their own during their transportation and you think that just because they are in big buckets that they are somehow "safer" from disease, will grow better, and better yet, somehow, you're not paying for their transportation costs? This is like laying the worst possible low grade shingles on a house that will last only 10 years without fraying because you want to compensate for labor costs, even though the amount as a percentage is minor. If I am going to try to find the best cultivars for what I want to represent as my house and represent as part of myself I will pay the transportation costs. Otherwise plant weeds you can pull from the roadside (although some of those might work based upon your needs being fair about it). Everyone make mistakes, especially the ones that b*tch way too much. There is way too much pettiness in this society.
Positive funnthsun
(Carisa) Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b)
March 29, 2013
Just received my order. Awesome! Healthy nice sized plants, very well packaged. I paid the " high" shipping costs. The reason it is higher is because they ship 2-day air, so that your plants get to you as quickly as possible. Annuals don't do as well as perennials, boxed up. It is always helpful to know the full story before adding a negative review just based on shipping costs.

Also, 1 plant was backordered, then ended up not being available from the grower, so they sent me what I wanted as a substitute at their cost for shipping. Also, threw in another plant as a replacement for one that was looking piddly, no questions asked. They let me add a couple more plants, also for just the cost of the plants, so that the box would be filled, still no shipping cost to me. No company would ever do better than that! Extraordinarily satisfied! Worth every penny of my original shipping costs. Top notch company.
Negative FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL (Zone 11)
March 28, 2013
HOLY SMOKES!!! Did you see the shipping charges???
"New & Improved" Bahhhh...what a joke!! To the east coast, Florida specifically for me.

1-4 plants $25.95??? Really??? Hello a medium size priority box only cost $12.35 to ship and the PO gives you the box and tracking is included,
(that's retail for us it's LESS for companies shipping)...
HOW exactly do you explain and justify another $13.60 extra in costs?
For 1-4 plants this is what you pay extra for each plant just for shipping alone:
Order just 1 plant your charged $25.95 plus the plant cost.
There plants average about $7.00 each, is that one plant worth $32.95...it's a 4 inch pot!!!
Order 4 plants that $6.49 for each plant extra, just in shipping! Remember this doesn't include the cost of the plant just the shipping charges!
Add just one more plant and your shipping goes up ANOTHER WHOOPING $4.00?!?! REALLY???
No, no, no, no, NOOO That is highway robbery.
Funny if you live in California, the priority shipping charge is the same threw USPS but Annies only charges them $1.60 extra.
Can you imagine $46.00 shipping charge on 9-12 plants?
That's between $5.10 and $3.83 EXTRA over and above the cost of each plant...there is a huge difference in $16.85 to 45.95 JUSTIFY $29.00 extra? For shipping? Come on!!!

Large priority box provided by PO retail price is only (wait for it) $16.85 Still far less than your 1-4 small order plant rate of $25.95!!

Gasp...I won't do it, I'm sure there is some EXCUSE for the horrific charges but to tell you the truth it cost the same labor to box them and ship them to the next county, as it does to box them going across the country...the labor is the same, the packaging is the same and shipping rates are LESS for commercial shipping accounts...Are you willing to pay that extreme amount for a plant you can get someplace else? Most likely larger than a 4 inch pot with reasonable (YES, reasonable shipping rates) I'm looking else where!!
Company representative comment on April 23, 2013:
On Apr 23, 2013 7:57 PM, Annie's Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Dear floridaheat:

The actual cost of shipping 4 plants via 2nd day air to a Miami, Dade
address is $22 and rates outside of metropolitan areas are higher. We charge $25.95. That $3.95 allows us to pay for the box, the inserts and the labor to get the plants to you. On large orders, often the cost of shipping exceeds the actual cost charged to the customer.

We have extensively test shipped via ground delivery and other methods
and have determined that 2nd day air East of the Rockies is absolutely the best way to transport our plants so they arrive in excellent and disappointment free condition. Is it cheap? No, Do they arrive in great
shape, ready to go in the ground and thrive? Yes. And if they do arrive
damaged for whatever reason, we'll replace them.

We appreciate your feedback.

Annie's

Positive b07ias
Eureka, CA
February 23, 2013
Another perfect shipment of plants. The plants were all robust and ready to grow. The Agrostemma is already starting to take off.
Positive hocklea
Seattle, WA
February 22, 2013
I love everything about Annie's. I have only done mail order and might I say a lot of it through them. Plants always arrive in great shape, well packed and healthy. I am planning a trip from Washington State to Annie's. I am looking forward to it. In the meantime, I shall just read the wonderful catalog and look at the slide shows. You do a great job guys.
Positive grandholly
Fayetteville, AR
January 31, 2013
Lovely plants, well packed, unusual for gardens here in NW Arkansas.

The first time I ordered must have been when the company was new to the national market. I ordered several interesting-looking annuals and tender perennials. They arrived within days. It was then February in my gardens, Zone 6B/7A, not even close to what California apparently is like in February. I planted some out on arrival and tried to keep others alive in their shipping pots until a normal date for outside planting. Neither was very successful.

It had not occurred to me that I had to *tell* them not to ship until the right season for planting here. I decided that had to be an aberration and tried them again a couple of years later. The plants were fine.

I have not yet tried ordering plants when it's the wrong time to plant here, so I don't know whether that situation has been fixed. But the quality is good enough, and the plants unusual enough, that I am willing to try to remember to order after I've gotten all the plants from other companies for spring planting.
Positive Frank1965
Shreveport, LA
November 14, 2012
Posted on January 28, 2012, updated November 14, 2012
Great plants and service. Some things that they have you won't find anywhere else. Shipping is high but It tends to be from west coast to the east. Sounds like a fun place to work too!
On November 14th, 2012, Frank1965 added the following:

Ordered arrived blindingly fast and in excellent shape. And there was a bonus included! Annie's has things that you cannot get anywhere else and I've never had a problem with anything.
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
October 31, 2012
Annie's Annuals is in the SF Bay Area where I live. I have heard good things about them and enjoy their lovely catalog. I finally made it to their Fall party this year. I was SO impressed with the plant quality and selection. Bought a whole bunch of plants at a great price. So far they are all growing beautifully. I look forward to visit there again come Spring.
Neutral vifferx
Burlingame, CA
October 25, 2012
Annie's sells 4" pots. They do a great job packaging and shipping plants. I have also bought from their nursery since I'm local.
However my experience with them is that my failure rate is 2x that of buying 1-gallon plants and the growth habits of the 4" plants is highly variable. Some of my Annie's plants have grown only a little, some have grown as expected. Considering that their plants are only just slightly less expensive than other local nurseries that sell 1-gal specimens, I've stopped buying from them since I get more consistent and favorable results with the 1-gallon plants.
Positive Laurie777
Renton, WA
October 4, 2012
I cannot say enough good about Annie's Annuals. I've been buying plants online for several years now, and the plants I get in the mail are always big and very healthy and beautiful. They have great pictures of them on their website, so you know exactly what you're getting. There have only been a few plants that didn't make it, and when I called they quickly sent me replacements for free. I love the unique variety they have, also. I highly recommend them! Thanks!
Positive Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA (Zone 9b)
September 29, 2012
Annie's are so wonderful: the plants and the people. My first web order arrived banged up, and they sent out replacements right off. Their wishlist feature (they'll email you when the items come in) is a bit dangerous to the wallet, but completely enjoyable. Flower Floozies FTW!
Positive chumort
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
August 22, 2012
Just about every time I look up plants I find interesting on this website it seems that Annie's Annuals carries them. My favorite part of their site is that you can look through great photos and information and if the plants you want aren't in stock you have the option of starting a wish list and they'll e-mail you when they become available.
As some people have stated, the shipping can be quite expensive. I felt it was worth it to get plants I haven't found elsewhere. My plants arrived quickly and well packed.
Positive FiremanDave
Red Bluff, CA (Zone 9a)
August 10, 2012
Overall excellent experience.
Ordered Erythrina, Euphorbia, Puya. First time online order but have purchased plants directly at the garden show in SF.
Plants were much larger than I would have expected, the Erythrina was over a foot tall and very stocky. Puya was small but well rooted, Euphorbia was about 8 inches tall with three branches and arrived in very good shape, even though it is naturally brittle.
Plants looked well hardened off and ready to pot up or plant out. Was surprised that Annie's "Filled the box" giving me a free Asclepias to fill the 4th spot on the 4 space box.
Positive Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM
August 3, 2012
Posted on April 21, 2012, updated August 3, 2012
Posted on April 21, 2012, updated April 21, 2012
As much as I love to browse and buy from Annie's, I have to say that every single plant of Matilja Poppy that I have purchased has died. I've gotten three plants, THREE separate purchases in the past 6 years and all have died within the first couple of months.

These last three plants which had been on my wish list YET again, had barely any root systems to them, so they were not likely to survive. The thing that really bothered me was that I did not know that these plants had no guarantee at all and the only time I found out was after I had received them along with a note that was included in my order stating that they were not guaranteed due to poor expectations of propagation or something to that effect.

I am very saddened about this as I really want this plant for my garden. I did not try to contact this company because after reading the note they included, it seemed to me that the point is mute.

Antoinette Hague
On April 21st, 2012, Gourd added the following:

After reading the other negative comments, it appears that the customer service at Annie's is no longer there. I will not be purchasing anything from them in the future.
On August 3rd, 2012, Gourd changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I have been in contact with Annie's Annuals and they have been great to me, very nice, and after several calls, they sent me some really well rooted plants and I couldn't be happier. It feels good to know that some companies make good on their promises.

The plants were a whole lot larger than the first ones and I am very pleased.

Company representative comment on April 24, 2012:
On Apr 24, 2012 5:59 PM, Annie's Annuals and Perennials responded with:

Hi Antoinette:

We take customer service seriously and welcome any and all calls regarding our plants and the condition in which they are received. If you ever have a question or a concern, please don't hesitate to call.

As noted on our sign, Romenya coulteri is notoriously difficult to get started in a garden and extremely sensitive to root disturbance. We recommend transplanting our 4" starts very carefully into gallon containers and letting them fill out before attempting to plant them in the garden. Not overwatering is KEY. Unfortunately, due to how sensitive this plant is, we do not guarantee it past it's receipt. It's a grow-at-your-own-risk kind of situation and we try to be emphatic about that on the sign before purchase:

That said, we want you to be happy and successful. Give us a call and let us figure out an agreeable solution for you. 1.888.266.4370

Sincerely,
Elayne Takemoto
Annie's Annuals & Perennials

Positive Alegna1263
Masontown, WV
July 4, 2012
Received my first order about a month ago. Shipping is expensive but plants arrived faster than expected and packaged wonderfully. Plants are doing great in my garden! I will definitely be ordering again! Thanks Team Annie's!