The scoop on 'Sunshine Seeds'

Sunshine Seeds

Harkortstr.16, 59229 Ahlen, Germany
Ahlen, 59229
(Germany)

Phone: +49 (0) 2382 / 80 50
Fax: +49 (0) 2382 / 80 50

This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Comments:

Positive Philly
Philadelphia, PA
June 16, 2012
I ordered hard to find Stictocardia Macalosi seeds. I was a little hesitant as I am in the US and they are in Germany, but did it anyway. I am happy to say that I got a 100% germination! I would buy from them again. I also ordered paychypodium seeds of which all but one germinated.
Negative dblick
Denver, CO
June 3, 2012
Ipomoea purgatory did not germinate under any circumstances I could produce
Negative ransom3
Zephyrhills, FL
February 26, 2012
Last summer I ordered some rarer types of morning glories from this company, One called Tiger Foot was what this company claimed it was. I am very satisfied with my plants. The other was supposed to be Ipomoea Purga. I did not mind paying the high price for this rare species' seeds. However,these seeds were not that species. They were instead a very common lavender moonflower. This substitution scam has been going on for some time now with this company. Someone I know and who has had some close relationship with this company has told me that these people are fully aware that they are advertising a high priced species and that they are substituting the seeds of a common, cheap one instead.Dishonesty is so sad.
Positive eliasastro
Athens
Greece (Zone 10a)
August 18, 2011
Posted on April 2, 2011, updated August 18, 2011
Posted on April 2, 2011, updated April 2, 2011
Excellent germination rates on most seeds, except for tropicals with short viability seeds (like Butea monosperma, Mucuna bennettii, Bauhinia kockiana). I wonder why they ship seeds that are obviously not fresh and have lost germination ability. They simply know it.
I suppose they keep them refrigerated, but this doesn't help much...
On April 2nd, 2011, eliasastro added the following:

It is a pitty, as most of their seeds have excellent germination rates.
Also, the packaging of the sensitive and short lived seeds is not as secure and careful as it should.
On August 18th, 2011, eliasastro changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

After many orders from them i would like to add that this company offers an amazing variety of tropical seeds that are hard to find elsewhere.
It is something that few seed companies have achived.
I must admit that i have become an addict!
From now on i check the "back in stock" list in their website, so i can order short viability seeds just after they arrive.
Positive Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL
July 7, 2010
I had a German-born friend to help with my order. This is a website to drool over. What I didn't expect is for the site to be updated so often with available seeds.
I noticed a lot of seeds of plants from India. This was my order list:
Anthocephalus cadamba
Stereospermum colais
Stereospermum euphorides
Swinglea glutinosa
Wrightia arborea
Within one week both Barleria seninsis & Stereospermum colais were starting to appear. Ten days later all the Barleria seninsis were up and running. The S. colais and S. euphorides were doing fairly well also.
It has been 5 weeks since I've planted the first batch of seeds. Two weeks ago I planted another batch of seeds. Of those only the original seeds that germinated have sprouted from the 2nd planting.
While I cannot find fault with Sunshine-seeds, it would be nice if seed companies undertook germination tests and listed the dates the seeds were collected. Some seeds just have to be planted within a week of their collection.
So far 0% of any seeds of the following species have germinated, no matter the seed company:
Anthocephalus cadamba
Bambusa bambos (arundinaceae)
Yet, I'm happy to keep trying!
My primary reason for my order was the Stereospermum colais.
From online information and various books, no one has brought Stereospermum colais into the western hemisphere since the 1940's with the exception of S. kunthianum growing at Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Miami, Florida.
Every few weeks I go over the entire seed list online from Sunshine-seeds.de. The changing seed availability is impressive.
I'm drooling to order more....!

Positive Cathi
Copperas Cove, TX
October 31, 2005
I ordered from them after finding them listed here. I had been stationed in Germany and emailed to ask for assistance with their online order form. The lady was very helpful and explained it in detail and my order arrived in excellent shape and without delay. I was told they are also working on an English version. They do have a great selection of seeds and not to much over priced than other places that have special seeds that aren't commonly available. I saved her email directions for future use because I will order from them again.

Cathi
Lampasas, Texas, USA
On December 28th, 2005, Cathi added the following:

Ordering directions: I also used a English/German translator free online when I emailed them. They gave it to Renate since she has better understanding of written English. She was very helpful.

Here are the directions Renate sent me:

I am sorry, but we have no English-Version at moment, but we will it workout in the future. When you would like to order by credit card we need the following details:
Visa ( ) Master ( ) American Express ( )
Card No.
Expiry date:
Secure code on the back:
Card owner:

or send by fax: 0049 2382 805092.

We will ship as a gift and declare it as "Beads",also we write in handwriting your, our address and the labels of seeds, because the customs regulations of the states.

Here a little assistance for order:
When you would like to order and/or payment by credit card, please use the following address:

[HYPERLINK@ssl.kundenserver.de] It is a secure line with 128 bit. It follows a window with a security indication and you should answer with Ja
Go to... Samen A-Z

and when you have found the seeds that you want, please

write your quantity in the field Menge

click on button Bestellen

click on button Weiter zum Bestellformular

left: field Versandart - choose Vorauskasse: Samen -Übersee or Samen - Europe

field Zahlungsart - choose Kreditkarte -

now you can write address and credit card details

This server is a secure server. Nobody will be able to read your credit card details. The shipping cost is a flat rate by air mail within Europe EUR 4.00, outside of Europe EUR 8.00

I hope, I could help. Thank you for your order.

Kind regards,
Renate

On December 28th, 2005, Cathi added the following:

Here are the directions Renate sent me:

Visa ( ) Master ( ) American Express ( )
Card No.
Expiry date:
Secure code on the back:
Card owner:

or send by fax: 0049 2382 805092.

Here a little assistance for order:

click on button Weiter zum Bestellformular

left: field Versandart - choose Vorauskasse: Samen -Übersee or Samen - Europe

field Zahlungsart - choose Kreditkarte -

now you can write address and credit card details

I hope, I could help. Thank you for your order.

Kind regards,
Renate
Neutral paracelsus
Elmira, NY (Zone 6a)
April 7, 2004
This company has the best selection of Ipomoea seeds I have found. They even have Ipomoea purga (High John), which I have found nowhere else. Yes, they are overpriced, and the whole site is in German (and so was the order acknowledgement), but I was glad to find these selections. I got them in a timely manner, too. I haven't planted them yet, but they look to be in good shape.
On January 12th, 2009, paracelsus changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

It turned out that these seeds were not I. purga but I. turbinata. I see that they no longer offer them either.
Company representative comment on January 20, 2009:

On Jan 20, 2009 11:52 AM, Sunshine Seeds added:

We are reseller only and they are not from our own harvest. We have purchased the Ipomoea purga seeds in the state.

Positive OCEAN
March 21, 2004
I HAVE ORDERED FROM THIS COMPANY FOR YEARS AND HAVE HAD EXCELLENT RESULTS FROM GERMINATION TO CUSTOMER SERVICE. VERY GOOD SELECTION INCLUDING RARE AND HARD TO FIND ITEMS. BRUSH UP ON YOUR GERMAN OR USE A TRANSLATOR.
Negative kirsitn
(Zone 6b)
March 4, 2004
The catalog has an impressive amount of interesting seeds and plants, but that doesn't help much when the seeds never seem to arrive... I ordered and paid two batches of seeds over a month ago and I still haven't received anything even though they claim on their web page that they send the seeds within a week after payment. I sent a mail enquiring about my seeds two weeks ago, but I still haven't got any reply to that either.
On March 11th, 2004, kirsitn added the following:

3 weeks after I sent the mail I finally got a reply which said that they could not find my original orders, but they would send the seeds right away if I mailed them my address, so hopefully I will get my seeds soon.
On March 23rd, 2004, kirsitn added the following:

A bit over a week after I got the mail, I finally received the seeds. Of the 15 species I had ordered, 5 were sold out. 3 of them were Drosera, which were replaced by similar species, whereas I got a money refund for 2 species of Aristolochia. In addition to the seeds I ordered, I got 2 free packets of Gloriosa seeds.

If it hadn't taken so long time to get the seeds, I would have been reasonably happy with the firm. I might order from them again, but in that case I will send the order by e-mail instead of using the web-based order form.