The scoop on 'Nurseries Caroliniana'

Nurseries Caroliniana

22 Stephens Estate
North Augusta, South Carolina 29860 (United States)

Phone: 801-279-2707

Visit Nurseries Caroliniana at:

Comments:

Positive blueschiz
Landenberg, PA (Zone 6b)
April 6, 2012
Ooooh a trip to Nurseries Caroliniana is like a visit to the candy store. All the way there my husband kept telling me how we needed to exercise restraint and reminding me of all the plants in pots we already had. Well, come to the nursery and who can't stop putting plants in the cart... you got it. We both got so many things we'd been looking for and unable to find anywhere else and left with our trailer full, happy as can be. We'll be back!
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
April 4, 2012
I just received the second of two orders I placed for this spring. The first for Allium thunbergii 'White Ozawa' and the second for Allium thunbergii 'Ozawa'. Plants were incredibly large and generous given that this allium species is quite small by nature. Communication was excellent and plants were very well packaged. I am extremely pleased and would definitely order from this nursery again!
Positive Plantilus
North Augusta, SC (Zone 7b)
September 10, 2011
This nursery has many of the old favorite plants at excellent prices, but they also specialize in unusual varieties and have a huge selection of variegated plants. The staff are very helpful and knowledgeable. Although I live close enough to visit the nursery, I have seen them packing plants for mail order and can attest to the care that is taken in the process. You couldn't find a better place to do business with.
Positive kandhi
Vienna, VA
April 15, 2011
I have ordered 2 wisteria 'bluemoon' plants last week and I received them this week. The packaging was good and plant looked very healthy and one of the plant also has some buds. They were very honest with their communication when I called them on the plants, size and availability. They have very good collection of rare plants that are not locally available and I would order from them again.
Positive Clove
Union City, NJ
July 22, 2010
I am an avid plant hobbyist who has been mail-ordering plants for thirty years. So I was quite surprised to receive three recent big orders from Nurseries Caroliniana. They offer not only traditional favorites like gardenias and hollies, but rare and hard-to-find fancy leaf forms as well. They also offer totally new and fascinating plants not listed or found elsewhere. I have always enjoyed the Okinawan Holly (Ilex dimophohylla), so I was quick to order Nurseries Caroliniana's offering of Ilex dimophophylla crossed with Ilex cornuta. I did not know what to expect. I was left breathless when I unpacked the plant and beheld its elegance & beauty. On another note, My name is Ramon, and I am an Aucuba fiend. Words cannot express the impact "Big Momma" and "Yamaguchi Giant" had on me when I unpacked them. I enjoy the southern hospitality of the staff who are attentive to customer service. All of the plants that I ordered had full healthy growth, strong roots, and were meticulously packaged to arrive in perfect condition. Like I said, I received three big orders from Nurseries Caroliniana, and I hope to receive more. I highly recommend Nurseries Caroliniana to beginning & highly experienced gardeners alike. And to those jaded & blase seasoned gardeners, I must say that Nurseries Caroliniana is truly a new adventure in gardening.
Positive fx
Montreal
Canada
July 3, 2010
I have ordered many plants in the past few years and are very happy with the wide selection of plants, and the quality of plants. Many thanks for making these rare & unusual plants available to plant enthusiasts.
Positive Cloisters
New Bern, NC
May 11, 2010
I recently received a shipment from Nurseries Caroliniana; once again, they managed to exceed my expectation. Members of my extended family and I have ordered a number of times from Nurseries Caroliniana, & have ALWAYS been extremely pleased with the plants we've received -- & with the great care they take in packing & shipping . Equally as impressive is the service and courtesy of NC's knowledgeable staff. I feel very fortunate to have access to their collection of plants -- many of which are hard to find elsewhere. When it comes to mail order nurseries, it just doesn't get much better than Nurseries Caroliniana.
Positive deereyebrow
Black Hawk, SD
May 1, 2010
Definitely the best quality of potted plants I've ever received from mail order companies, and the owners are so very friendly and helpful. I received not only huge!!! and very well branched (and relatively cheap!) plants, but also the owners had gone so far to meet all my requests, including even the not-so-reasonable ones. Last year in late September I ordered a sweet olive tree and a banana shrub tree from them, and asked if it's possible to see them bloom the same year. I knew it was quite late, so I didn't insist on it, and the ower Peggy said it was the end of their blooming seasons so she wasn't sure but she would try to find some that's still in bloom. Knowing that I am a begining gadener living in the northwest, she also kindly gave me many tips and instructions on how to overwinter these tender plants. And when I received the plants, they were both huge and FULL of flower buds! The sweet olive has been blooming non stop ever since I got it and still is in bloom now, in my cold, dim house in South Dakota. The banana shrub is more sensitive to light and temperature, so it had all the buds hang on there all winter and they all bloomed fabulously this spring. This year I ordered again from them, and again got big plants that have flower buds on. They made a small mistake during our communication through email, and they decided to make it up to me by sending me a very nice gift plant. I am so grateful that this kind of companies exist, and I wish them the best luck and success, and continue supplying the best quality plants there is on internet.
Positive jedoody
Las Vegas, NV
April 3, 2010
I ordered two osmanthus from this company and they arrived much larger than I expected, fully leafed, and starting to flower. Green Thumbs Up to Nurseries Caroliniana.
Positive Chantell
Middle of, VA (Zone 7a)
December 18, 2008
Seems to be the only place carrying the Osmanthus fragrans ‘Fudingzhu’ - of course then one "notices" they also carry aurantiacus which is apparently hardy in my zone (7A)...ahhh, what more could you ask for - esp. with Christmas $$ in hand?!? Wonderful - personal customer service - quick ship - perfect packing and nice large healthy plants with GOOD sized root balls (could easily be potted up to 3 gal). Winning combination in MY book. As others may have noted already - this nursery does require a min. purchase and although shipping may "seem" high...these are not light - remember the root balls are sizable!! Order placed on a Sat. - was rec'd on Wed - this a week before Christmas...Kudos to nursery and UPS!!! They are not set up for online orders - but honestly it was refreshing to chat with the sweet gal that took my order. In this world of internet - how nice to have such personalized service! Not only that but SHE remembered to call me (I'd sent an email stating my interests and that I'd like to talk with her when she'd be in that Sat.) - how great is that!?!?
Most certainly would shop with them again...would love even more to rent a van and visit them in person!!
Positive pyromomma
Columbia, SC (Zone 7b)
November 19, 2008
I drove 60 miles to get shrubs from nurcar, and it was well worth the trip! The plants are truly wonderful. I purchased 8 shrubs, including a very hard to find Orange tea Olive and Salvia greggi - prices are very very good, and the owner has plants that are seen nowhere else - he goes to Japan and chooses new cultivars and varieties and brings them here.

(I am afraid that I may have to now build a pond, as they carry a prostrate Japanese camellia that simply cries to be taken home, each one more lovely than the next! )

I am very new to gardening and they patiently answered about 100 questions that I had, and were so very helpful and cheerful, even though I was a pest.

They answer email inquiries promptly, even though they are very busy in outdoors.

I cannot attest to their mail-order business, but this is my preferred nursery now, even though there are good ones near my house - the quality of the plants and the prices are top-notch.

My only caveat is to not rely on the online catalog- they have many more varieties than are listed, so don't be afraid to ask!

Lorie in South Carolina
Positive croakie
North Augusta, SC (Zone 8b)
February 15, 2007
My absolutely favorite nursery!! I can't speak to the mail order part of the business because I live close enough (too close?!) to visit on site. Great selection, good prices. They carry a lot of native plants that are hard to find elsewhere. I've planted whole areas of my yard with plants from them and they've all done wonderfully.
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
October 3, 2006
Made the trip from Atlanta to visit this nursery. They have one of the better selections of rare plants in the Southeast. The staff was very helpful and went out of there way to assist me. Prices were very reasonable. We did have difficulty locating a couple plants on their price list, probably because it was late in the season. The nursery is extensive and the offerings immense, so I would recommend you call in advance to confirm availability if you are making a special trip and looking for specific plants. I did this for some plants and they had already been pulled for me when I arrived.
Positive Huehuetenango
Columbia, SC
July 13, 2006
3 Lavender 'grosso' bought six months ago have flourished. Customer service, selection, quality, and prices were all excellent.
Positive gailkaitschuck
Augusta, GA
May 25, 2005
Have recently "rediscovered" this nursery. A wide range of plants with the focus on unusual species and native varieties. Found variegated leaf azaleas for the first time. A large selection of hostas and hydrangeas as well as many different types of trees.

Excellent choices for someone looking for different varieties.
Neutral alicewho
North Augusta, SC (Zone 8a)
May 5, 2005
I've shopped at this local nursery a few times this spring. They do have a nice selection of plants and I bought many. They have reasonable prices and the plants were in decent condition. The only problem I had was that a couple were mislabled, which I was made aware of after they had been planted and started blooming.
Positive BamaDave
Warrior, AL (Zone 7b)
February 5, 2005
This is an outstanding nursery. I made a one-day roundtrip from Birmingham, AL to N. Augusta, SC just to shop there a few years ago. Their plant selection for the Southeast U.S. is unbeatable.

Last Spring (2004), I purchased three Asian evergreen Magnolias from. They were good-sized plants, arrived quickly, and in excellent condition.
Positive satogaeru
Atlanta, GA
June 30, 2004
I ordered and have just received two hydrangeas from Nurseries Caroliana. They are in excellent shape! Wrapping and packing job was great, and my order was filled in just over a day after I gave my credit card information.

I am a novice gardener in the Atlanta area and had never used a mail order nursery service before this order. I found Garden Watchdog to be helpful for locating area nurseries and choosing one to order from. I was very happy with this experience and will likely order from Nurseries Caroliana again.
Positive Copperbaron
Vicksburg, MS (Zone 8a)
March 10, 2004
Just found out that this company has moved into the mail order business. If you garden in the south and want access to an amazing array of great plants for the south, this is the place to go first. They apparently are quite conversant with Dr. Mike Dirr and actively seek out horticultural gems that thrive in the South. I am really excited about this place and have just placed a large order. I will provide additional feedback when the plants come in.
On February 15th, 2005, Copperbaron added the following:

Plants came in and are just what I was hoping they would be like. Good company. In addition, I am attending the Masters golf tournament this spring and asked Penny, the person who packed up my plants, if she knew any place where I could stay for the week. She found me a nice house in Aiken, S.C. Now THAT'S service!