The scoop on 'Carroll Gardens Inc.'

Carroll Gardens Inc.

444 East Main Street
Westminster, Maryland 21157 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-638-6334
Paper Catalog Cost: $3

Visit Carroll Gardens Inc. at:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral CaroltheDabbler
(Zone 5b)
October 2, 2011
In response to my fellow Hoosier, ashmeadskernel: Although I can't speak for Dave, I'm grateful that this site retains information on defunct companies. If I've seen a company recommended elsewhere, but can't find its web site, it's very helpful to know whether it's gone out of business, or has changed its name, or simply doesn't have a web site.
Neutral ashmeadskernel
Indianapolis, IN
May 27, 2011
I thought this place closed? (And for good reason.) So why is it still listed? Come one Daves Garden, clear out the clutter!
Cheers
~Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?~

Neutral Gitagal
Baltimore, MD (Zone 7a)
June 16, 2009
This is NOT to express an opinion--even though I have been there and thought the place was totally junky....
Today I got the Carroll Gardens e-Newsletter and the below was the subject....Not much of a surprise....Just wanted to share this with you all and Dave too.

Gita (Baltimore, MD)

*******************************************************

Carroll Gardens to Suspend Business

Effective June 30th, 2009, Carroll Gardens will suspend accepting orders for shipment. Our store in Westminster is also scheduled to close on that date. The Saturday morning call-in radio show, which we have provided for the last 20 years, will continue for the foreseeable future. (The Garden Club; WCBM-680AM; 7-8 a.m. Saturday Morning)

To satisfy our creditors, we must raise cash. Our loss is your gain! All products and plants on CarrollGardens.com and in the store are being sold at 25% off, subject to availability and first come first served. If you have gift certificates or credits, please use them now. Your credit card will not be charged until your order is shipped and there can be no backorders.

If Carroll Gardens can resolve its financial problems, we will resume business. We have the potential of an investor which may allow Carroll Gardens to continue. There is one last thing that we are requesting of you. If Carroll Gardens returns, I would like it to be better than it is now. Please send me a brief email describing what Carroll Gardens means to you and what you will miss without Carroll Gardens. (Please send emails to info@carrollgardens.com.)

Carroll Gardens was founded more than 75 years ago as a mail-order company. Through these years, it has been our pleasure to serve you and we truly regret having to suspend business.

Alan L. Summers
President

Negative supertek2004
Corpus Christi, TX
March 19, 2009
I ordered two plants a month ago and haven't gotten anyone to respond to an email yet. I called and some guy said he couldn't tell me anything about my order because he was in the shop at the moment. Isn't the shop where I ordered the plants from? Just because they paid good money for someone to make a beautiful site, doesn't mean they should be taking online orders. No tracking, no email responses, no clue when answering phone calls, and no plants. F-
Negative doctrtim
Salisbury, VT
March 9, 2009
I ordered a Parthenocissus tricuspidata (Boston Ivy) Fenway Park 5/5/08 and received the plant in reasonably good shape and time. Shortly after arrival it was obvious the plant was not the Fenway Park cultivar (not gold or even chartreuse but dark green leaves). I contacted customer service by telephone immediately and requested the correct plant or a refund. I was told, "It will be taken care of." Its now March of 2009 and I've received no refund or replacement. I can see from the other reports on the Garden Watchdog that others have received that same response. At least I'm only out $32.02. Shipping a common version of a plant and charging a high price for a new named cultivar is fraud.

DON'T ORDER FROM THEM!
Negative chiefjps
Dover, DE
May 27, 2008
Avoid Carroll Gardens. Placed an order for three Helleborus and three Sanguinaria Multiplex back on 18 January for a total of $86.18 with shipping. Carroll gardens was very quick to charge my credit card within two days of my placing the order. On 15 April I sent them an e-mail asking if they could provide an estimated shipping date for the plants, since their web site has no way to track order status. Two weeks later after receiving no response I sent a second request...still silence. On 1 May I got tired of waiting and placed a phone call. I was told the items I had ordered over three months ago were not going to be available this season and a refund would be issued to my credit card immediately. I wonder how long it would have taken them to inform me of this if I had not called and asked? Three weeks later I still had not received the promised refund, so after two more unanswered e-mails I again called them on 22 May. They again promised a refund, and today it was finally posted to my account (over four months after my order). Gardening is supposed to be an enjoyable and relaxing activity, but it's anything but when dealing with Carroll Gardens. You should not have to fight for a response to your questions or make repeated contacts before a refund is issued. There are plenty of other reputable mail order garden centers with integrity out there...Carroll Gardens is not one of them.
Neutral suel
Vinton, VA
May 24, 2008
I ordered two heucheras last sept.15, only received one. I was told the other was backordered and I would receive it this spring. This spring I called and was assured I would receive the plant. Never received it, so I called back numerous times and each time was assured they would send the plant. One time I called, the lady taking orders said they would not get the plant in stock and offered a refund. I told her customer service said they would ship me the plant. I called back to customer service & "Susan" said the plant was in shipping that day. A blatant lie, I never received the plant. I called back and asked for a refund. "Sandy" (supposedly the office manager) said I would get a refund on my VISA card that day, I still haven't received the refund. They are on Maryland's BBB page as a bad business and I was a fool not to check them out!!!!
On May 26th, 2008, suel changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

The Office Manager did honor her word and gave me a credit for shipping & the no-show heuchera, so I'm satisfied. But I won't do business with them again.
Negative formisfunction
Bethesda, MD
May 21, 2008
This place is a disaster.

I found some plants online. I live about 90 minutes away, and was nervous enough about what I saw on Garden Watchdog about them, that I decided to drive over there to get the plants instead of mail ordering.

Their email communications in setting up the purchase were wonderful. THey would respond instantly. They lined up the plants so they were ready for me to pick up when I came in.
We must have exchanged 5 emails and all the communications were courteous and prompt.

Remember, this is all before the sale. After the sale turned out be quite another story altogether.

I bought a bunch of shrubs and trees early enough that they had not broken dormancy for the year. They gave me a money back guarantee that the plants would leaf out.

Upon transplanting, it was clear that one tree, costing $60, was in really bad shape and may not actually be alive.

So I immediately emailed them a heads up on this, saying we'll wait until mid-spring to see if it wakes up for the season, but it didn't look good, and they may want to be busy lining up a replacement tree (my preferred option) or in the alternative, issuing a credit.

No response to my email.

The tree never woke up. They'd sold me a dead tree. Not saying it was done intentionally by them -- just stating a fact -- they sold me a dead tree.

So I email them saying listen, every other tree and shrub has broken dormancy, including other crape myrtle trees. This one is dead. You're going to have get me a replacement or issue a refund.

No response from them.

I email back in another week.

No response from them.

Email again 1 week later.

No response.

I must have sent them 5 emails and never received a response.

Finally I call them. Oh sure, they'll issue a refund if I bring back the dead tree. Really? I can't send you a photo of it? I have to send you an entire tree?

Yes. Send me the tree back and then I'll issue a refund.

OK.

So I do that.

Send an email saying I've sent it.

Got a UPS delivery confirmation saying they got delivery 2 days ago.

Sent 2 emails to them already saying they've accepted delivery of the dead tree and now they need to issue the refund.

Guess what?

No response whatsoever from them.

And no refund issued as of the time of my writing this.

These folks sure had me fooled. They were wonderful before the sale. Prompt and efficient communication.

After the sale? Forget about it. Don't even respond to you at all.

Haven't honored their guarantee yet.

Like I said, these folks sure had me fooled.

Negative bostondon
Roslindale, MA
April 25, 2008
It is a relief to say I canceled an order I placed March 26, called about April 14, was told it would ship out April 15, called again April 25, was told it would ship out in two or three days. I saved them the trouble, and won't go back to their web site.
Positive larlienda
Strasburg, VA (Zone 6b)
November 8, 2007
I just received my order from Carroll Gardens and couldn't be more pleased. I ordered prior to seeing their rating and i'm glad i did. My luck could be because i am not that far away, regardless i received large healthy plants at a good price and inexpensive shipping.

thanks, lynda
Negative whirlybird
Portland, ME
October 3, 2007
I've ordered three times from Carroll Gardens. The first two orders went quite well; they replaced a pink Rose of Sharon with a blue one (which I had specified) at no charge, and I got three 'Carefree Beauty' roses from them which leafed out and bloomed their first year. This fall I ordered a Kolkwitzia amabilis and three Asclepias tuberosa. The Kolkwitzia arrived and looks good, but no butterflyweed -- the dreaded B/O written in pen on the shipping page, which looked more like '310' or a bin number.

It took 2 e-mails to hear back that the plants were backordered. I have since requested a cancellation and refund four times with no acknowledgment -- been sending e-mails every Wednesday.

Based on the feedback here I think I'll step that up to once a day, and if I don't hear anything in a week, I'll call and be rude right back to them on the phone if necessary.

Their Web presence is terrible -- no record of orders, no customer IDs -- and their customer service is even worse. This spring when I visited their site about 75 percent of their plant offerings said 'not available this season.' If they can display an inventory tag like that, why can't they tell you if something is backordered?
Positive foofranay
Birmingham, MI
July 1, 2007
I placed an order for two hybrid teas on July 25th. They arrived July 28th in a huge box, very nicely packaged. The plants are gorgeous too! A nice older plants with thick stems and roots. There is no sign of any problem with them at all.

I was surprised though to have this box on my front porch... I never got a shipping email or ETD. I had to quickly tear out a shrub to get the plants in.. but I'm not really complaining -

I have ordered roses from Chamblee's also and THEY had sent puney little things that I have had to baby all summer.. then two of them are not going to make it... I will defiantly be buying from Carroll Gardens if I need more roses!
Negative egardner
Tehachapi, CA
June 11, 2007
I ordered 5 roses from Carroll Gardens and they arrived with no packing around the roots and looked unhealthy. They appear dead now, six weeks after planting. I emailed my concerns to Carrol Gardens and they have not responded.

Neutral snapple45
Holland, OH (Zone 5b)
June 11, 2007
I ordered a Forever and Ever Double Pink Hydrangea from this company through Amazon.com on April 24, 2007. I chose to order through Amazon rather than Carroll Gardens directly because I wanted some protection if the purchase went awry (having read the many negative posts here). This was my only source for this plant. Although the local nurseries carry the Forever and Ever line none carried the double pink, nor would they order it! The plant arrived June 8th, very well packed. It carried the Forever and Ever label as well as the hand written nursery label. It was good sized and had been de-containerized with the roots placed into a plastic bag. I was satisfied with the size and packing. The plant however was very heavily diseased with Cercospora leaf spot. It will require a careful fungicide spray schedule for this acclimating season and meticulous fall cleanup for the future. Order from this company only as a last resort.
Negative wallis104
Middle River, MD (Zone 7a)
May 29, 2007
Gosh - I've received the Carroll Gardens' newsletter for at least a year....... We live about 50 minutes away so I thought I'd drive there to shop in person......

Since today is Memorial Day, I called first to make sure they were open..... I also inquiried if the daylilies that I was interested in were in stock. (They had advertised them on sale on their website - wanted to make sure they had some left.)

The woman who answered said I'd have to wait to find out when I got there....... Luckily after I AGAIN stated that I was almost an hour away, she finally agreed to check her inventory........

I did purchase 7 daylilies........ however, we could not believe the prices on so many of their items....... A single Hosta for $28.95 - Clematis on a 3 foot trellis - $50.00.......

Last year (and again this year) I ordered bareroot Clematis from Debbie at Silver Star Vinery - paid $14 per plant and this year they have completely taken over the fence with bountiful blooms...... They are incredibly gorgeous and must be 5 or 6 times the size of the plants we saw at Carroll Gardens for $50.....

Their hanging baskets were a minimum of $10 higher - some $18 higher than the ones I purchased at a beautiful "high end" nursery not far from my home.......

Carroll Gardens is located in a rural county...... and although like many rural counties it has really seen a growth spurt in the past 20 years - I did not expect to see such high prices ....... It's not like they're located just outside of Washington DC or Annapolis, Md.

After we left Carroll Gardens, we saw beautiful, full hanging baskets just 2 miles away at Baugher's Restaurant and Farm Mart....... and again, they were a minimum of $10 less.

I should add that the daylilies I purchased were dug up straight from the field while I waited - so that was a plus for CG.

However, all in all, we were not impressed...... and any curiousity that I had is now behind me. Won't be visiting in person or ordering from their website again.......

Positive Fredericksburg
Fredericksburg, VA
May 27, 2007
I ordered a double bloodroot from Carroll Gardens in the middle of May. After visiting their place - which was fairly rundown, but crammed full of amazing plants - and reading these posts, I was a little apprehensive, especially when the bloodroot didn't arrive quickly. But I'm happy to report that it showed up last Thursday, about two weeks after I placed the order, beautifully packaged in an enormous box stuffed with shredded newspaper, the plant itself wrapped with white paper and a hand-written tag. While I was at the nursery, I picked up some gorgeous dark purple nicotiana as well as some wild ginger, epimedium and rhododendron, all of which look happy and healthy. I continue to love their newsletter and will happily try them again by mail.
Negative bchirco
Beverly, MA
May 21, 2007
My first (and only) experience with Carroll Gardens has so far been dreadful. We placed several orders with a variety of online nurseries in February, and all orders have come when requested except for our Canadian Hemlock (Jeddeloh), ordered from Carroll. We are now closing in on June, and we had requested early May delivery.

Multiple emails have gone ignored. From their website, email appears to be the preferred method of contact. Now I realize that it is probably preferred because it is easily ignored.

We will never, ever, ever again order from Carroll.
Negative michigangardens
Okemos, MI
February 16, 2007
Ordered several plants 2 years ago in spring: 2 arrived (crataegus and fothergilla). The fothergilla had webs and pests, which I dealt with myself and it has thrived. The crataegus has not done as well; it was strangely pruned and has never developed a proper leader. The 3rd plant (hamamelis) was listed as backorder. I e-mailed to ask about when it might ship; I received no response to e-mails. I called twice; both times I was told the only person who could help me wasn't working that day. When I finally got the person who could help me, she told me the witch hazels didn't look healthy, so they were delayed for fall shipment. No plant in the fall. I called again the following spring to see if it would be shipped. They claimed that they had no backorder on record (backorder was written by hand on my shipment slip) and so I couldn't receive either a plant or a refund. That was my first experience with this company, and it will be the last.
Negative bluespiral
(Zone 7a)
January 23, 2007
It is so frustrating that we cannot go to such a venerable, well-stocked alternative to national chain stores practically in our back yard and buy a plant. Back in the 70s, there were old gardens that had been designed with poetic associations of woody and perennial plants in harmony with the historical setting that made the annual pilgrimage to buy a few plants a highlight of spring - not to mention dedicated, knowledgeable, plant-loving staff.

Problem was, things were usually mislabeled, and my job and night school and house rehabbing situation just didn't allow for enough trips around the mulberry bush to get the right plant. Last summer, the labeling was all right, and the plant was healthy and vigorous, but the roots of the plant (and the pots of the rest of the plants that I could see) were entangled with some kind of jointed grass in its pot. I thought, when I got home, that I could sink the root ball in a bucket of water and "float" the grass roots away from the plant's roots, but it was impossible, attempts to root cuttings failed, and it seemed safer to throw the whole business out rather than take a chance on infesting my garden with that grass.

Carroll Gardens has also "thrown out" those gardens, and while the staff last summer were polite and helpful, I miss the bygone ambience of plant-loving, people-loving staff.
Negative YangMetalRat
Frederick, MD (Zone 6b)
December 6, 2006
I visited Carrol Gardens - an hour from my home - in October '05 and immediately thought that their on-line business is what sustains them because their nursery is a bit shabby, not really set up for the walk-in customer. Their garden guru, Alan, was there and he was so knowledgeable and agreeable that I decided to disregard the rundown appearance of the place and order some spring plantings from them: a weeping crabapple, and 9 perennials ordered in late March '06. I recall confusion about the shipping date and several telephone calls attempting to coordinate arrival of the plants with a 2-day trip out of town. They seemed disorganized, workers were out with stomach disorders, things were is disarray, and yet I was assured the plants would not ship to arrive during my absence in mid-May. When I arrived home, there was the package on my sunny front steps ... It didn't help that UPS had disregarded the "this end up" instruction ... When I opened the package I was so distressed: the perennials - which were not labeled - had been rolled up in wet paper towels and had been tossed in shipping so they were tangled up in the branches of the crabapple, which was just a tiny little thing, not at all what I had expected based on my reading of the website description. I probably could have taken up these complaints with their staff, but I did not: the disorganization of the staff did not augur well for quick & satisfactory resolution, it was too late in the season to track down another crabapple (or so I thought at the time), and, having had no previous experience with mail order plants, I was not yet aware that the packaging at Carroll Gardens was not simply the industry standard (I have since been enlightened by Lazy Ss extraordinary careful packaging - no matter there if "this end up" is disregarded!). I did decide, however, to shop elsewhere in future. I should add that I continue to receive Alan's newsletter, which is full of good ideas and advice.
Positive kkirschbaum
Yonkers, NY (Zone 6b)
August 18, 2006
I recently ordered a caryopteris x clandonensis 'First Choice' and a polygonum aubertii (silver lace) vine. These weren't shipped until last week, when the recent heat wave had subsided. I was very pleased when the plants arrived. They were very well packed and appeared not to have suffered any damage in transit. I was really happy at how large the caropteris was. It is a full size plant, and it came complete with buds that have since begun to open. I held off posting here, though, because the accompanying vine looked a bit iffy. 3 out of 4 of its growing tips were browned, and its leaves were droopy. However, I knew this plant is supposed to be tough as nails, and two weeks later I am pleased to note that it has new side shoots. The tip that was not browned is actually in flower already. While it hasn't yet covered the unsighlty chain link fence it's supposed to camouflage, I feel confident that it eventually should live up to its reputation given what I feared was an unpromising start. All in all, I would rate Carroll Gardens (which is also the name of my Brooklyn neighborhood) an A, and I will likely order from them again.
Positive hobonat
Ocean, NJ (Zone 7a)
July 9, 2006
I have been ordering from Carroll Gardens for several years. While shipping times and customer service has been spotty, the quality and variety of plants offered is unmatched at any other mail order company. This spring I ordered Apricot Sparkles daylilies from two companies. One sent tiny bareroot plants that failed to grow. Carroll Gardens sent HUGE clumps that bloomed in weeks and could have been divided right away for even more plants.
Positive carolrees
Arlington, VA (Zone 7a)
June 4, 2006
I ordered 0n 3/15/06 2 Goldflame Honeysuckles and on 4/3/06 1 Forever & Ever Double Pink Hydrangea which they had on sale. All arrived in great condition and were large with lots of follage. I have ordered in the past from Carroll Gardens and never had a problem with them. I will say that sometimes they don't ship that quickly. However, the items always arrived in good condition and were large with lots of follage. I would definitely order from them again.
On June 9th, 2006, carolrees added the following:

On 6/8/06 I just received 2 John Clayton Honeysuckles that I had ordered previously. They were huge - around 3 feet high - well leaved and with a large dirt mound. I am very pleased with them.
Negative boominggarden
Bloomingdale, MI
June 3, 2006
I am quickly believing this will become a negative entry--I am having a difficult time getting my credit card credited for items that were NA (not available). Why should my money be held from January to June if the items are not available? I should be able to expect prompt credit to my credit card. By e-mail I have contacted them three times. These have been pleasant but so far, ineffective.
On June 10th, 2006, boominggarden changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I have FINALLY received a partial refund on the items that were Not Available. Not complete and a VERY curt email. No explanation for the wait, the incomplete refund, or anything! I do not want my back ordered item, but I have not been given that option. Garden Watchdog is a wonderful tool to keep these mail order companies on target. I wish I had read the review earlier. I would never have purchased from this company and I would not be so very frustrated.
Negative rosemontgolden
Stockton, NJ
May 28, 2006
In 2004 I received a $1000 gift certificate from Horticulture magazine as part of an Horticulture's Grand Prize for home gardening. I specified part of this gift certificate to be used at Carroll Gardens. I had had some problems in the past with back ordered deliveries coming to me in the year followiing my initial order. However, in the case of the Horticulture Grand Prize gift certificate, what should have been a happy experience turned into an extremely unpleasant one. I received only a part of my order from Carroll Gardens. I have called Carroll Gardens several times to try to get credit for the plants I never received, or to get credit remaining on the gift certificate. The person answering the phone, in every case, has been at times unhelpful, and at other times downright rude. This past winter, Carroll Cardens told me my plants were on backorder and would be shipped in the spring of 2006 (this is now almost two years following the gift certificate order), and I have received nothing. I feel this business is one of the most unfriendly plant businesses I have ever dealt with, and, in my particular case, their behavior has been totally unprofessional. I recommend everyone avoid this nursery's enticing emails and web catalogue. I still hope to recover the remainder of my gift certificate from Carroll Gardens, but calling them is such so unpleasant, I avoid subjecting myself to their appalling rudeness.
Positive rsmallen
Northampton, PA
May 18, 2006
I ordered from Carroll Gardens several years ago and was delighted. After Hortico let me down on the rose order I turned to Spring Valley and Carroll Gardens.

I placed my order May 15. Asked when they would arrive hoping it would be soon so my landscapers would work not sit. They told me it would be two or three weeks till they shipped. I whined a bit but realized with the lateness of the season and the order date I could scarcely expect more.

Today I read the reviews on here, was surprised and more than a bit nervous and jerky. A few moments ago (May 18) UPS arrived with a giant box. From Carroll Gardens.

All 5 of my ordered roses are in it. All are hefty, healthy beefy root systems with plenty of hefty branches. All of them are leafing out and have new growth. A few tender tips are bent/broken from shipping but the condition of the plants overall is EXCELLENT (and I am picky...oh so picky).

Would i order from Carroll Gardens again? Absolutely!
Positive Leeway
Mequon, WI
January 7, 2006
My first experience with Carroll Gardens was very positive. I ordered double knockout roses and 'yes' they did come very late. That was understandable due to the soggy wet spring and cold weather we were having. When they finally arrived in sweltering heat, the box was clearly marked "delivered to wrong address" and the plants were close to dead. I called and told them I was soaking them in water but I had little hope. Carroll Gardens told me to plant them and if they did not leaf out to call back. I did call back and they replaced the ones that died with beautiful fresh stock at no charge. I will be happy to deal with them again.
Neutral msanjelpie
Meridian, ID
June 11, 2005
I ordered and paid for Double Knockout mid January. I sent an email in May inquiring shipping status and was rudely answered that they had already told me it would be shipping in the beginning of May. (It was mid May at this point)

Then I heard that their shipment hadn't come in and they were awaiting it and would ship when it arrived.

I was shocked to find my order on the doorstep today. I had all but given up on it. Shocked doesn't describe the state of the rose however. I was expecting either a bareroot or least a grade 1˝ grafted rose. What I got was an own root, no larger than standard Heirloom Bands. This plant is a baby!

I can't believe I paid $23.85 for a barely rooted band, $8.35 tax! and $7.00 shipping for this. I am steamed. I am happy to finally have the rose, but it's not like I can plant it. It will have to go in a gallon pot and be babied all summer long. It was wilted upon arrival, and all the dirt around the roots that was held together with a paper towel fell apart when I was attempting to get it out of the towel and into a pot.

Grhhh!
Neutral c2garden
Virginia Beach, VA
June 6, 2005
I ordered 10 Double Knockout Roses from this company. I was told they would not be shipped out until the first week in May. The first week in May came and went so I called again. I was told they would be shipped out in the middle of May. I do not appreciate a company that lies to its customers. The lady on the phone was not all that friendly either. After I was told the "middle of May" I decided to try to find them somewhere else. I didn't cancel my order until I found them at Triple Oaks Nursery in NJ. I called and canceled my order. The lady on the phone said "you understand you can not order these once they are canceled?". I told her yes. I traveled five hours to Triple Oaks Nursery to pick up my roses. I decided to do that because I can not be out in the heat and humidity without getting sick. Thankfully I didn't believe Carroll Gardens because I bet I would be out in the heat on a 89 degree day (but with our humidity feels like 97 degrees). I will never order from them again and hope they get their stuff together or they will be losing a lot of customers.
On June 11th, 2005, c2garden added the following:

I am so glad that I told this company to cancel my order of 10 Double Knockouts! From the review above I can tell that I would not be a happy camper spending well over $200.00 for band roses. Do not deal with this company. They do not deliver what they promise and do not deliver when they promise.
On July 17th, 2005, c2garden added the following:

DOES THIS COMPANY HAVE A CLUE? I cancelled my order from this company a long time ago and already made a five hour trip to pick up my double knockout roses from another nursery. I did not expect the roses to show up at my door since I was asked rudely "you understand you can not order these once they are cancelled". I went on vacation and came in to the house to find a package from this company that our house sitter brought in while we were gone! I do not see a charge for these roses on my account. I have the box sitting in the kitchen unopened awaiting the post office to pick this box up tomorrow. I will let you know if they charge me for these or if I have any other problems with this company. Thankfully I was planning to pay with a credit card and can dispute the charge if they try to charge me. This is a waste of my time to deal with this company! NEVER AGAIN!!!
On July 28th, 2005, c2garden changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I am changing my rating with Carroll Gardens to neutral because when I called to ask why the roses were delivered to me over a month after I cancelled them I was told to just keep them. The credit card I used has not been charged or this would stay a negative rating. I gave all the roses to my Mom who planted them right away. I haven't asked her how they are doing. When I opened the box the Double Knockout roses were very small for the price but looked healthy and were still moist. I only inspected one rose and it didn't have a great root system but the top growth looked healthy. Time will tell if the roots can support its top growth after they have been in the ground awhile. I appreciate them allowing me to keep them and not have to deal with sending them back. Knowing what I know now though I still would not buy roses from them because they are about 1/3 the size of the Double Knockouts I bought well over a month ago and cost more.
Negative sacerdos
Great Falls, VA
June 6, 2005
I made my order online january 26 and received a confirmation.When may arrived and no plants came I called and was told that "they are in the shipping room". Two weeks later I called and told "they are in the shipping room.Still no plants came so I called a third time but told the person answering not to give me the line that they are in the shipping room. She then said they were being put into the truck to be shipped the next day. Thatr was a week ago and Virginia is next to Maryland. I called today and was told they are being shipped out this week.I have had this experience with them before. If you live nearby you should call and then drive there and demand to see your plants in "the shipping room" and then catch them in their fib. Why dont merchants just tell customers the truth.
Negative southerndawn
Buford, GA
May 15, 2005
My experience was similar to the last poster.
I ordered three Knockout roses from this company on Feb 24. I received a confirmation of my order, however the confirmation stated that could not give me a set shipping date.

I called three weeks after my order and was told that all roses would be shipped in three weeks. Well that date came and went and I called again. The woman I spoke with said that the Knockout roses would be sent the first week of May. I asked that a confirmation be sent to me when the roses were shipped, and she told me no. She was very nonchalant and did not seem interested in me as a customer.

It is now the middle of May and I have not heard anything from this company. Today I finally sent an email for my order to be cancelled.

I would never recommend this company. They seem very disorganized and unprofessional.
On May 15th, 2005, southerndawn added the following:

editing to add that I was ordering Double Knockout roses, not Knockout.
Neutral eviestevie
Austin, TX (Zone 8a)
April 23, 2005
i ordered a gruss an aachen rose from them at the beginning of april over the internet. when you order over the internet, there is nothing that tells you what date your order will be shipped or by whom. after a week and no delivery, i emailed them and got a response from Donna who told me i should expect my order in about a week and if it didn't arrive to call. i called at the end of the week because my order still had not arrived. by now it had been 2 weeks since i placed my order. the lady on the phone (don't know if it was Donna or not) told me there were many orders ahead of mine and i was not to expect my order to arrive for another couple of weeks. wow. so i wasn't to expect my april 1st order until may? i ended up canceling my order and my credit card was refunded promptly with no hassle, but it would be nice if carrol gardens did something about that shipping policy.
Positive 75751
Fort Mill, SC (Zone 7b)
March 31, 2005
I ordered two roses from Carroll Gardens. However, the
company sent the wrong order. I contacted the company
and within 2 days the correct order was at my front door.
My roses look great and I am looking forward to planting
them. I appreciate the manner in which Carroll Gardens handled this
problem. I would order again with this company.

C&NN
On May 15th, 2005, 75751 added the following:

I placed a second order for 1 blushing knockout and
receieved it this past week. It was at my front door withiin
a week that I ordered the rose. It is healthy and has some leafing out on the rose when it was received.
C&NN
Positive flowerfields
Ithaca, NY
March 18, 2005
I ordered Endless Summer Hydrangeas from Carroll Gardens a couple of years ago. They were healthy, hardy, and have performed exactly as Carroll Gardens said they would. I've also ordered roses from this nursery with excellent results. I would certainly recommend Carroll Gardens for the types of plants I've ordered.
Positive flower_fairy
North Reading, MA
January 17, 2005
I ordered three Endless Summer Hydrangeas in spring 2004. My phone experience was pleasant, the plants arrived promptly, looking great, and have settled in nicely!
Positive lmelling
Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b)
November 20, 2004
I purchased 2 hydrangea from Carroll Gardens in fall 2002. Both came on time and were healthy but quite small. The All Summer Beauty hydrangea (zone 4) did not bloom in 2003, which was disappointing, but was fantastic in 2004. The Glowing Embers hydrangea (zone 5) had one tiny bloom on it when it arrived and was planted. That's the last I've seen of blooms from that one. Why it failed to grow well must be our winters as opposed to anything Carroll gardens did, however, I wish they had suggested that perhaps that particular hydrangea might have been marginal in our area.

Although I'm giving them a positive rating, I've found another hydrangea grower that I like much better because he provides advice if he feels one will be marginal for me.
Positive amys
Lincoln, RI
May 27, 2004
I sent an Endless Summer hydrangea to my mom for Mother's Day. She reports that it already has lots of buds--more than mine does, which I paid more for, and bought locally at a terrific nursery. The plant is apparently thriving, and shipping time was reasonable. The plant arrived in good shape, accompanied by extensive planting and care instructions.
Positive jonmd
July 29, 2003
I've had very good experiences with this nursery. I recently ordered some Endless Summer hydrangea and the plants are beatiful.

Their website has a phenomenal selection on it and that plus my good experiences are the reason they are the first nursery I think of whenever I'm looking for something new to add to my garden or yard.

They also have a free newsletter you can sign up for which is INCREDIBLE! If nothing else go check out the site and sign up for the free newsletter!
Negative dobiegirl
May 5, 2003
Plants arrived very yellow and small for the price. Wrapped horrribly and arrive in a manner which need to be planted right away. Very inconvenient.
Positive kdpoorvin
March 17, 2003
I had been ordering from Caroll Gardens for over 15 years with no complaints. Then, about 5 years ago, I began experiencing continual problems. The most annoying one was that plants were not shipped at the requested time, but much later. In 2000, I requested a mid-April delivery date, but by mid-June I still had not received my plants. When I called the nursery, I was assured that they would be shipped "shortly". After waiting in vain for 2 more weeks, I finally called back and cancelled my order in frustration. I had somewhat better luck the following 2 years, but only after stating emphatically on the order form that if the order could not be shipped when requested, it should be cancelled. The orders were still late. Another problem was that many requested items were out of stock. When items WERE sent, they were often the wrong ones. A 'White-on-White' liriope was all green. A scarlet oak turned out to be a red oak. Instead of a 'Fireworks' oenothera I received a 'Fireworks' goldenrod. I don't ever plan to order from this nursery again.
On April 20th, 2004, kdpoorvin changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Meanwhile, a year later. After receiving very useful, informative email newsletters from Carroll Gardens over the past year, I decided to try ordering from them again after all, hoping they'd 'gotten their act together'. I'm very pleased to report that they apparently have. Either that, or new people are running the show.I ordered a 'Blushing Knockout' shrub rose (a hot new rose)on April 10th and received the plant a week later! Three hostas I ordered were likewise received in a very timely fashion. Granted, the hostas were a little on the small size, but were in decent shape and well wrapped for shipping. So I plan to proceed with 'cautious optimism' on future orders.