The scoop on 'Groco Seeds'

Groco Seeds

PO Box 40788
Portland, Oregon 97240-0788 (United States)

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Positive witta667
Lemmon Valley-Golden Valley, NV
February 16, 2013
I have been buying from Groco for over 10 years. I have grown their seeds in Wisconsin, California, Washington and Nevada. Their seeds have a high germination rate and always produce such beautiful flowers that I am the envy of my neighborhood. I can't recommend them highly enough.
Positive inuyashalover21
Johnsonburg, NJ
March 12, 2012
Been buying from GroCO as well as Whatcom (same company???) for over 4 years and have been extremely pleased with the packaging and germination rates. I will be a repeat buyer for years to come :)
Negative ransom3
Zephyrhills, FL
February 26, 2012
I ordered a pack of what was supposed to have been a pack of Operculina brownii, a rarer type morning glory. I ended up with some other kind of plant that is not even any kind of morning glory instead. I think it may be in the nightshade family.The one seed I germinated looks kind of looks like an eggplant.Delivery was very slow. It was a very lightweight package of seeds, yet the postage was more than $2.00. I do not believe this was an honest mistake and I recommend you avoid GROCO.
Positive laurieeirual
Boston, MA (Zone 5b)
October 15, 2010
I have been extremely pleased with the quality of Groco's seeds and the prices and cost of shipping seem more than fair to me!

My only two wishes are that they would carry more exotic seeds because I like Groco so much, and that they would make it easier to see a list of all their currently available seeds. (It gets annoying seeing all the duplicates on ebay.)

Two thumbs up!
Negative Janes_Gardens
Glen Gardner, NJ
April 25, 2010
Posted on February 11, 2010, updated April 25, 2010
Posted on January 18, 2010, updated February 10, 2010
Their customer service goes out the window once they get your money. The first time I ordered from them, about 1/3 of the seeds did not sprout and I planted them more than once. When I contacted them, they refused to take responsibility so I was left with seeds that I wasted money on. The following year, I decided to give them a second chance because of their low prices. Though their ebay ads state fast shipping, it was 3 weeks before the seeds arrived. When I contacted them to find out what the delay was, especially since they advertise fast shipping, there was no response of any kind, not even an apology or explanation for the delay. I have not ordered again, but I have since emailed them asking about their shipping and these people don't respond at all. Their prices may be low, but their customer service is non-existent and I would recommend you spend a little more for your seeds at quality seed suppliers who know the definition of customer service and stay away from Groco. Seeds that don't germinate and lack of customer service should be their motto, as it has been my experience with them.
On February 10th, 2010, Janes_Gardens added the following:

Groco seeds has not responded to any of the at least 5 emails I sent, including the one asking why my order took 3 weeks to receive. Their statement under my initial comment is a lie, and though they responded to my comment on Dave's Garden, they have never contacted me.
On April 25th, 2010, Janes_Gardens added the following:

In response to lleejohn, I believe in giving everyone a second chance and I like to support companies that are small and American owned and operated, and that is why I ordered from Groco Seeds again after my first experience. Just because your experience with Groco Seeds was positive does not mean that my experience with them didn't happen. My experience with Groco Seeds is 100% accurate and true and as of this date, they still have not responded to ANY of my emails that were sent in the past. They are not perfect and in my case, they have been a horrible company to deal with and have used their positive rating to fall back on. After all, I'm just one of a few people they have exhibited this behavior with. Just because they don't have more negative comments doesn't mean they haven't treated other customers as they have treated me. Some people just don't do business with them again and don't bother to comment.
Company representative comment on January 18, 2010:
On Jan 18, 2010 2:33 PM, Groco Seeds responded with:

GroCo Seeds sells top quality seeds that are all germination tested professionally by major seed producers. We sell at such low prices that we cannot replace seeds when a buyer is unable to grow the seed due to circumstances beyond our control.

We also have exceptional qaulity customer service and anwer all e-mail, ship our orders in bubble mailers, and ship out within 3 business days of receiving payment. Our ebay rating is 99.8% positive with over 222,705 Feedback received. Thanks to all our wonderful customers!!!

Positive lleejohn
Sandy, UT
April 5, 2010
Some of us must just be hexed or unaware how to count days between orders and payments and ship date accurately. Plus, as we all know, once the order is turned over to the Post Office the sender lacks the ability to affect the delivery date.

I have dealt with Gro-Co for the past four years and cannot say enough good things about them. Great communications both before and after the order has been placed and most important to me is their quick shipments. I have never waited longer then a week to receive the items I ordered.

I'd be very surprised Gro-Co would leave anyone hanging if the buyer provided a sufficient explanation of the problem and requested their assistance in rectifying the seed issues.

I recently planted their seed from two years ago in a starter tray (not that I would suggest keeping your seed from previous years), but all have sprouted. However, we all know seeds require a certain broad environment to sprout and grow. Before accusing Gro-Co of selling bad seed, did you take a close look at the circumstances under which they were planted?

In looking at the negative comments versus the positive, I would say the problem does not lie with Gro-Co. There is a great old saying, “when the entire school class fails, it’s the teachers fault. When a student fails, it’s the students fault.”

I would enjoy buying a package of the seed you have that would not sprout just to see if I could sprout it (let me know if that is possible.)

I have already placed and received one order this year, which has all sprouted and was in the process of doing a second order when I ran across this site on the search "menu."

Do we actually think I would place a second order if the seed was bad?
Positive herd33
Youngsville, NC
January 7, 2010
I have purchased from GroCo multiple times now (through eBay), and it has always been a perfect experience! Great communication, fast shipping, and quality seeds at fantastic prices will keep me coming back for more!
Positive jam7134
Youngstown, FL
August 31, 2008
I have ordered from this company on a regular bases and NEVER have I had a problem
Positive geminitrv
Marshall, TX (Zone 8a)
August 30, 2008
I ordered a large quantity of seeds, for a very low price. I am very pleased with my seeds and will be making many more purchases from this company! A+++

Tiffany
Negative serenesower
Garland, TX
March 30, 2008
I recently won over thirty seed auctions from GroCo on ebay. I had MUCH success with MOST of the seeds and have even just had to pot some of them up. Thats being said, a few seed types (datura, dicetra, alstromeria etc) did not germinate at all and when I contacted the company to inform them and ask for replacement seeds (I REALLY wanted those bleeding hearts) I was rebuffed in a very condesending fashion. When I had a problem with Park's seeds, I was sent out replacements the next day. To be talked down to in such a fashion was very disconcerting, especially with the fact that I've got over 200 (literally) seedlings thriving in the sun room. Thier prices were exceptional, but the customer service is why I won't be buying from GroCo again.
Company representative comment on March 30, 2008:

On Mar 29, 2008 8:37 PM, Groco Seeds added:

Positive bermudakiller
Union Grove, AL
January 24, 2008
I have bought from them several times and have been pleased with price, quanity and quality of the seeds they have sent. Great germination, much better than most companies and the plants that came from the seeds were excellent, I had the largst moonflowers I have ever seen, up to 6.25 inches. I had an order that never arrived, customer service was polite, helpful and a full replacement order arrived within the week. I will continue to use them for the seeds that they offer.
Positive glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL (Zone 7b)
May 16, 2007
I have ordered several times from this company. Their prices and shipping charges are more than reasonable. They ship quickly. Can't ask for more than that!!
Positive onalee
Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a)
January 20, 2007
I've ordered seeds from this company on several occasions and have had good luck with them. The seeds have been good quality with quantities as advertised and shipping is timely.
Positive DonShirer
Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a)
December 29, 2006
Ordered seeds from them on eBay. They arrived promptly and germinated satisfactorily. The listing description was a bit over the top, but I suppose that was just salesmanship.
Positive victorianangel
Lake Arrowhead, CA
June 12, 2006
I have ordered from this company many times now. They have some of the fastest and easiest transactions of any seller that I have ever worked with. They are inexpensive and I have always had great results from their seeds. Will continue purchasing from them, over and over and over.
Positive terrySoCal
Manhattan Beach, CA
March 27, 2006
I purchased from Groco web site and even added a few more items after paying on Paypal. They filled my order promptly. Service was great, very fast shipping - about one week. Seeds come in small zip-loc pouch and were marked with each variety. Recycled paper bag was used for the mailing envelope, so you need to give them credit too for being environmentally conscious! I purchased several varieties of Heirloom Tomatos and about half the seeds have sprouted to seedlings after about 3 weeks with more each day now. I have 26 seeds planted in Jiffy pots. We've had weird weather in SoCal (rainy and cold then sunny) which may be affecting seed gernination. I look forward to eating my tomatos by Summer!
Positive Bill_S
Fortuna, MO
February 25, 2006
I have ordered from this company two times now and there have been no problems. Prices and shipping are real reasonable. Will probably order from them again when I need more seeds.
Positive tonih
Moorpark, CA
February 16, 2006
I have just placed my third order with this company. Germination has been great on the seeds I have started. Fast shipping and fantastic prices for the amount of seed sent. Highly recommended.
Positive kylslil1
Pensacola, FL
February 16, 2006
I have ordered from this company twice and been very pleased both times. They always ship very quickly, with clean packaging and labeling. Always very nice product.
Positive IsThisHeaven
Fenton, MO (Zone 5b)
November 8, 2005
I first ran into this company on Ebay. I've ordered from them now repeatedly because I have good germination and they ship promptly.
Positive tmd272
Fulton, NY (Zone 5b)
November 1, 2005
I have had nothing but good luck with this company. Yes, there selection is limited but you can't beat the price and the amount of seed they give you. I purchased all of my seeds through ebay and they are fast and very helpful.

In addition, every order they send me a package of free seeds...usually annuals but hey they are free :>).

I have germinated tested all of the seeds they have sent to me (20+) and all have had 85%-100% germination rates. I can't say that for some of my seeds that I paid three times more for.

I highly recommend this company.
Positive nannyval1
Loami, IL
July 11, 2005
I have ordered several times from Groco and gotten great germination rates on the seeds. And the price is fantastic.
Positive jcpyburn
Snyder, TX
July 1, 2005
I ordered from this company several times last year, seeds as well as plants and I must say they are outstanding. Everything was shipped promptly and everything was in good condition and grew beautifully. I currently have another order pending and can't wait till I get it. They don't have a huge selection but they have some really good bargains. Would HIGHLY recommend this company.
Positive tiffi24
Export, PA
May 27, 2005
Have bought MANY many seeds from them to feed my addiction ;)
have been extremly pleased w/ what they offer, variety wise & quality wise. They also sell plants, which are just as wonderful as their seeds. always a good value and speedy shipment too. great directions on how to plant seeds or care for plants. Also a wide variety of harder to find items (plants and seeds)- have tried a number of new plants & the flat rate seed shipping is awesome!!!!!!
Positive Shelly221
Denver, CO (Zone 5b)
May 6, 2004
I have ordered from Groco many times, and have been very impressed with the seed amount and germination.
Positive LaceBobcat
McKinney, TX (Zone 8a)
April 6, 2004
Groco Seeds provides viable seed stock for many varieties of flowers, fruits and vegetables. I have been purchasing seeds from them for the last three years and have yet to be disappointed by any of my purchases. Groco offers an extensive hierloom tomato selection. Also a fun variety of of flowers to bring hummers and butterflies. They offer a flat shipping rate, mark the seed packs clearly. With any question regarding a seed Groco provides a wealth of actual experience in growing the variety of seeds they offer.